Govt looking at 100,000 MW solar power by 2022

Singh

Phat Cat
Super Mod
Country flag
Instead of hurling adjectives, why not trying rebuttal of my post, point-wise ? Hurling adjectives indicates you have already understood why transitioning to Solar/Wind energy is not going to stall our growth at 0%. & why a unhealthy populace tends to decelerates the economy.

First, you made outrageous & ridiculous claims of growth stalling at 0% if Wind/Solar energy is resorted to & when confronted, you are using adjectives that best define you alone (as per the popular notion on DFI, run a poll).

I am in sync with the GoI & what the BJP state govt. across India are already doing on ground. It is another matter, the AAP-tards would continue to smell a fish even here. If you think that you know better than GoI (who have real experts at their beck & call), all the best.

Cheap...Free....Subsidies...cannot get over it...right ? This is what AAP-tardness does to you.

I will continue trying to get this point across without anymore typing:

Remember, nothing comes cheap/free. Cheap itself is a relative term. Part of it you pay in bills & the remaining through other channels I have already pointed out.

Plentiful... what is more plentiful than Sun ? It is supposed to last for next 5 billion years, IIRC. Wind blows all over for free. Mass-scale adoption would brings prices to sustainable levels. Transition is always painful but I would be more than eager to bear that minor pain, if at all, for a better future of our progenies.

All this talk of cheap-goodies (here, electricity) is mere hogwash. There are no free lunches & everything comes at a cost. And, if something comes at the cost our health, do we really have to go for it ?

Instead, a gradual transition to renewable sources are is called for & the govt. is already working on it.

In time, the % of electricity generated by coal-based plants would reduce & that produced by Solar/Wind would increase. Substantially. Within our lifetime. Modi-led GoI would ensure this. I am attuned to Modi's vision.

@Mad Indian If you have some data that proves "renewable sources cause comparable/more pollution vis-a-vis fossil-fuels", then, please share. Request not to repeat yourself.
Quoted for Posterity.

====

Last edited by a moderator:

ladder

Country flag
What you are saying is correct but it is applicable in Western/developed countries.

India is a 1.2 billion population country with one of the worlds lowest per capita consumption of electricity. Indians will suck up any electricity you throw at them. The massive loadshedding on a 24*7*365 cycle is ample proof that we don't even produce electricity to meet constant demand.
Both yes and no.

'Yes' we have not created capacity. So any power plant is acceptable to us. And 'no' as with greater demand there will be greater fluctuation in load. So demand for peak power plant will also rise.

also, we are at an advantage not being western nation as they are alien to concept of rolling power cuts ( load shedding) but here many households use inverters. And that costs 33% (or more) of the cost of roof top solar PV. To charge the batteries from the grid cost is incurred. If we pay (as subsidies) the differential amount they will have no problem to charge the batteries of inverters through Solar PV.

And, govt. too gains by not having to produce power through peak power plant, which costs higher than Thermal, nuclear. Thus this route is mutually beneficial.
But, the current problem is initial cost. Where some subsidy needs to be provided.

Last edited:

The Last Stand

Country flag
And then Pakistan, and China will come to the aid of Sri Lanka and conquer Tamil Nadu.

Sinhalese and Punjabi will become the official languages of Tamil Nadu.

===
Tamils will absolutely fight to the end. Our sense of pride and love for our state (not India) will not allow us to leave. :p

I would prefer to be ruled by people with "imaginary western masters"
To each their own.

But he never mentioned that the western masters were imaginary :)

Brahmins are Aryans and anti-Dravidian, didn't Periyar say that ?
Periyar was a bigot and spewed hate because of childhood stigma.

He polarised communities.

He is remembered because he fought for the "Dravidians".

Re-reading Periyar

Singh

Phat Cat
Super Mod
Country flag
@Singh 8% growth is a means (tool) towards an end (objective/goal). It is not the end-goal, in itself.

The end-goal is a employed, productive (healthy/literate/skilled ), stable & prosperous India.

However, unmitigated health-issues (on a mass scale) arising out of unbridled pollution hamper productivity, defeating the end-goal as well as killing the tool (8%) growth.

Forget 8% when fiscal deficit to sustain healthcare expenditure starts ballooning. That is why, GoI has something called Bharat Emisson Standards. which is becoming increasingly stringent as pollution increases & technology improves.
That's your assumption of end goal.

List of countries by electricity production - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
I don't see these countries producing more electricity than India even from hydrocarbon sources really complain about healthcare costs.

Most cars sold in India exceed BS norms greatly.

Singh

Phat Cat
Super Mod
Country flag
Tamils will absolutely fight to the end. Our sense of pride and love for our state (not India) will not allow us to leave. :p
India would've balkanized by then.

To each their own.
But he never mentioned that the western masters were imaginary :)
But he never even gave proof of them existing.

How do you prove existence of Aliens ?

By forcing a non-believer to convincingly proof they don't exist ?

Periyar was a bigot and spewed hate because of childhood stigma.
He polarised communities.
He is remembered because he fought for the "Dravidians".
Re-reading Periyar
Countercurrents ! Seriously ?

Tamils should learn Hindi to prove Periyar was a bigot :troll:

Singh

Phat Cat
Super Mod
Country flag
Both yes and no.

'Yes' we have not created capacity. So any power plant is acceptable to us. And 'no' as with greater demand there will be greater fluctuation in load. So demand for peak power plant will also rise.
That stage will be crossed when we have the capacity to meet constant demand. And since there are about 400million other energy staved folks in our neighbourhood, we don't really need to worry much at the moment. We can export electricity too.

===

also, we are at an advantage not being western nation as they are alien to concept of rolling power cuts ( load shedding) but here many households use inverters. And that costs 33% (or more) of the cost of roof top solar PV. To charge the batteries from the grid cost is incurred. If we pay (as subsidies) the differential amount they will have no problem to charge the batteries of inverters through Solar PV.

And, govt. too gains by not having to produce power through peak power plant, which costs higher than Thermal, nuclear. Thus this route is mutually beneficial.
But, the current problem is initial cost. Where some subsidy needs to be provided.
This is a useful solution and quite practical too.

However another member who believes he is in sync with Modi's vision is arguing for new capacity electricity generation through renewable clean and green energy solely.

The Last Stand

Country flag
India would've balkanized by then.

No problem here. We have enough propaganda to keep running the state as it is. :p
But he never even gave proof of them existing.

How do you prove existence of Aliens ?

By forcing a non-believer to convincingly proof they don't exist ?
I was just making a statement.

P.S. - Not a big fan of AK-49, I think he was all freebies. :)
P.P.S. - I'm not a big fan of the Dravidian parties either, because they are also all freebies.

Countercurrents ! Seriously ?

Tamils should learn Hindi to prove Periyar was a bigot :troll:
Why, is Countercurrents an unreliable website? I honestly don't know.

TrueSpirit1

The Nobody
Banned
However another member who believes he is in sync with Modi's vision is arguing for new capacity electricity generation through renewable clean and green energy solely.
Incorrigible little devil, aren't you ? Read this:

Instead, a gradual transition to renewable sources are is called for & the govt. is already working on it.
In time, the % of electricity generated by coal-based plants would reduce & that produced by Solar/Wind would increase. Substantially. Within our lifetime. Modi-led GoI would ensure this. I am attuned to Modi's vision.

Singh

Phat Cat
Super Mod
Country flag
I was just making a statement.

P.S. - Not a big fan of AK-49, I think he was all freebies. :)
P.P.S. - I'm not a big fan of the Dravidian parties either, because they are also all freebies.

Why, is Countercurrents an unreliable website? I honestly don't know.
I didn't get any freebies during AK-49. :(

Singh

Phat Cat
Super Mod
Country flag
Incorrigible little devil, aren't you ? Read this:
My bad.

Answer this :

India will need to generate 5-6 times as much electricity as its producing right now in the future to reach a standard that China was in 2010-14 .

How should we go about it ?
What percentage of capacity or investment in pollution vs non-polluting ?
And why ?
What is the cost of power of each source ?
What is the multiplier effect of cheap electricity vs expensive electricity ?

ladder

Country flag
My bad.

Answer this :

India will need to generate 5-6 times as much electricity as its producing right now in the future to reach a standard that China was in 2010-14 .

And why ?
Some of the answer can be found here

Planning Commission, Government of India

http://www.google.co.in/url?sa=t&rc...rIDgCA&usg=AFQjCNEEyHImisyS3DFDFxPzu1aAd6m2uQ

Last edited:

TrueSpirit1

The Nobody
Banned
My bad.

Answer this :

And why ?
For now, I would just say I am not really all gung-ho about the Chinese model. I am game for manufacturing (especially in strategic sectors), but I still think our niche lies in services.

Wind/Solar would not remain this expensive in the long run (as scale increases & tech. improves). Initially, some govt. incentives would be needed. To cater to this, subsidies from unproductive avenues could be re-directed towards this. So, your contention that our competitiveness (as an investment destination for industries & exports) would not take a hit.

Singh

Phat Cat
Super Mod
Country flag
For now, I would just say I am not really all gung-ho about the Chinese model. I am game for manufacturing (especially in strategic sectors), but I still think our niche lies in services.
Wind/Solar would not remain this expensive in the long run (as scale increases & tech. improves). Initially, some govt. incentives would be needed. To cater to this, subsidies from unproductive avenues could be re-directed towards this. So, your contention that our competitiveness (as an investment destination for industries & exports) would not take a hit.
Nice deflection.
I disagree with the points you raised. If you can answer the very direct questions I asked, you would come to the same conclusion as I have said.

==

TrueSpirit1

The Nobody
Banned
Nice deflection.
I disagree with the points you raised. If you can answer the very direct questions I asked, you would come to the same conclusion as I have said.

==
I meant that I do not even wish India to go the China way. So, why should I imagine measures to achieve an end that is unsavory to me. I really expect India to devise its own path, rather than aping West or China.

Anyway, the deflection is only for the time being. Would try answering your questions later. As, there is a time & place for every forum.

ladder

Country flag
Prize find
@Mad Indian will not open a branch of his hospital in Haryana.

Haryana makes solar power mandatory for certain buildings
Haryana makes solar power mandatory for certain buildings - The Times of India

Mandatory installation of solar power plants has been made in case of other categories like nursing homes, hospitals, group housing societies and others.
As I had said earlier

Roof top solar policy should be made compulsory for every new building. The local municipality/ corporation should formulate such laws.
http://defenceforumindia.com/forum/...0-000-mw-solar-power-2022-a-2.html#post975914

=============

Also,

Mad Indian had said.

Exactly. We cant have costly solar power just because a moron like you wants to enforce it on others
Now, hopefully TN doesn't make it compulsory for New and existing hospitals in TN. :taunt:

==========
Added later,

http://www.estateworld.in/news/Solar-panels-made-compulsory-for-new-buildings-in-Hyderabad-169/

TrueSpirit1

The Nobody
Banned
@Singh

From the same source/article:

India's solar power capacity has grown by 60 per cent in three years to 2,700 mw. Prices of solar modules have come down by 85 per cent over this period.
In 3 years, prices of solar modules have come down by a whopping 85%. And, to imagine, we have barely begun. Against 2 Gig of our installed annual capacity, our target is 100 gig annually. Not hard to figure out how low the prices could slide.

Problems like connecting to the grid (miniature-grids is one solution) & land acquisition (bill is already lined up to be presented in current LS session) would be sorted out in due course. Since, there is a will & never-seen urgency in the way this govt is functioning, things would get sorted out, sooner or later. Fortune has to favour the brave.

Excess capacity in the international market and increasing demand from countries like India are likely to pull down solar energy input costs.

ladder

Country flag

Singh

Phat Cat
Super Mod
Country flag
@ladder

Do you agree with this Govt's mission of providing 100,000 MW of Solar Power by 2022 ? If yes why ?

Latest Replies

Global Defence

New threads

Articles