Govt looking at 100,000 MW solar power by 2022

Kharavela

Country flag
Reason for posting this is because our current installed capacity is 250 odd GW and solar is at 2000 MW. Modi wants to add another 100 GW only on solar.
As per my last calculation 1MW of solar installation costs around 3.5 crores. so private entities are expected to put up 70 billion USD.
This would be the first time i am doubting modi's plan.:rolleyes:
Total project cost of 1 MW solar plant using AAA rated CdTe cells, including land & construction cost is approximately 6.5 crores subject to the distance from the solar plant to the evacuating substation is not more than 500 meters. It may come down to 5 crores using low quality (Chinese made) cells.

jamesvaikom

We should generate more power from all sources like solar, wind, nuclear, coal etc. Investing more money for power and railways will help us reduce dependency on oil.

LordOfTheUnderworlds

Country flag
India should not just be consumer of solar panels and wait for someone else to develop and supply technology. West developed technology so far around oil that they owned through colonization. They built the whole system around it. China and India will have to develop and evolve solar technology for ourselves, and may be jointly if necessary. Can't just keep waiting that western companies in cold lands will develop it for us. This need large scale investment in research with lot of perseverance.
Same for thorium based reactors. We should also have strategic agreement with Japan to join research to extract methane hydrates. Individual efforts to develop alternative energy can be nipped in bud by vested interests.
Meanwhile in the short term, burn whatever is cheaply available.

Last edited:

Mad Indian

Proud Bigot
Country flag
Roof top solar policy should be made compulsory for every new building. The local municipality/ corporation should formulate such laws.

Good article for starters.

https://www.bijlibachao.com/solar/solar-panel-cell-cost-price-list-in-india.html
Your idea is exactly what I said- lets over burden the already burdened middle class.

Think about it- if solar power was more cost efficient- we would already be seeing a lot of solar panels by now without any laws. Unfortunately, its not.

Mad Indian

Proud Bigot
Country flag
We should generate more power from all sources like solar, wind, nuclear, coal etc. Investing more money for power and railways will help us reduce dependency on oil.
Coal is also a bad choice considering how much we have to depend on the chinese coal imports for our needs. Our ONLY option right now is nuclear and nothing else

Mad Indian

Proud Bigot
Country flag
Pro BJP

Pro AAP guys says

BJP says we must have 100,000 MW Solar Power

Who is anti-national moron working for their foreign masters ?

:pound::pound::pound:
:rofl:Yes troll harder. AAP wants to shut down all kinds of power generation- from hydel to nuclear. They are worse anti nationals:taunt1:

ladder

Country flag
Your idea is exactly what I said- lets over burden the already burdened middle class.

Think about it- if solar power was more cost efficient- we would already be seeing a lot of solar panels by now without any laws. Unfortunately, its not.

And why is it not getting cheaper?

Mad Indian

Proud Bigot
Country flag
And why is it not getting cheaper?
Thats not our concern. Our concern should be to use the cheapest available ones now. If Solar power is available much cheaper in twenty years, then we can switch back to that. As I asked, if the rich nations cant afford it, how can India? I think lowered life expectancy from coal/nuclear energy is an acceptable trade for preventing those million farmer suicides due to poverty(which stems from lack of development/poor infrastructure including electricity etc.).

As of now, nuclear energy is the cheapest of the non-renewable sources of electriity and so it is our best choice for our energy needs, seeing how poor we are and how humungous our energy needs are. France has the cheapest electricity rates in Europe because it produces 65% of its energy from nuclear plants

Mad Indian

Proud Bigot
Country flag
The nuclear power plants face stiff public resistance in India. There is no such problem in case of solar power.
So what? Even Hydel power plants face protests in this stupid nation. I can say with 100% certainity that these same morons can be brainwashed into believeing that Solar plants can cause lung cancer (due to silicosis or such bull shit) and cna me made to protest against that too in future. Hardly the excuse for not going nuclear
India does not have fuel (uranium) for nuclear power plants. The fuel needs to be imported and the fuel supply can be stopped anytime.
Non sense. Nuclear plants can be loaded for a period of 30-40 years in a single stretch. We have ample enough uranium supplies/suppliers to provide for us for our near future(40-50years). We have nothing to worry about for the next 40 years or so during which we can mature our Thorium based reactors, which India has the largest supply of in the whole world
The construction of solar power plants can be completed localized. The technology is not as complicated as in case of NPP.
If only harry potter existed as more than fiction:rolleyes:
Nuclear power plants come with inherent risks as Fukushima incident in Japan has shown.
Yes, so lets leave our poor to die from poverty by not having those ricky nuclear plants. The risks of a few thousand dead from a possible nuclear fallout clearly outweigh the risks of millions dying due to poverty for the lack of proper infrastructure or industrial progress in India. Salute you. You have your priorities right:sarcastic:

Lets also ban cars for it has killed hundred times more people than all the nuclear disasters combined
The solar power is the easiest way to boost power production in India. Yes it will have to be combined with gas based plants to balance the load. But then India has both sunshine and gas.
:facepalm: Thats why every nation in the world is using solar energy- because it is the easiest to produce:suicide:

Mad Indian

Proud Bigot
Country flag
People are ready to adopt technology which suits them. Hydrocarbons are quite expensive (until oil drops to $60).
If you want to adopt that costly money sucker, by all means go ahead. I will adopt the one which suits me. Just dont "force" that costly nonsense on me

Btw, hydrocarbons are cheaper by a third compared to soalr power generations as of now(even with high our prices). Thats why every nation in the world is using it for their primary energy needs

When Solar plants actually become cheaper , the world will start moving to that direction and then we can move with the world

ladder

Country flag
Thats not our concern. Our concern should be to use the cheapest available ones now. If Solar power is available much cheaper in twenty years, then we can switch back to that. As I asked, if the rich nations cant afford it, how can India? I think lowered life expectancy from coal/nuclear energy is an acceptable trade for preventing those million farmer suicides due to poverty(which stems from lack of development/poor infrastructure including electricity etc.).

As of now, nuclear energy is the cheapest of the non-renewable sources of electriity and so it is our best choice for our energy needs, seeing how poor we are and how humungous our energy needs are. France has the cheapest electricity rates in Europe because it produces 65% of its energy from nuclear plants
Half of the components of a roof-top solar unit are available in a average Delhi ( or any other city) home even today. Ask what?

Mad Indian

Proud Bigot
Country flag
How many hrs/day and days/yr Germany get light to produce solar energy.India is blessed with 12hr/day and min 300 days/yr sufficient light to produce solar energy.

Check map most countries get light around yr are either Oil rich(noth africa/ME/Iran) or coal rich(Australia)

As far as price of solar panels.............. My dad purchase a mobile with 20k in 2004 after 4yrs i bought 6k mobile with more advanced features, now i will get same feature mobile with 2k. Same applies in solar panels also.More u produce and more tech up gradation the price will decline continuously :namaste:
Is that the reason why the advanced countries of the world are not adopting it?:rolleyes:

The cost of mobile phones has decreased by 300% compared to 20 years back as more people have started using mobile. By the same logic more people are using thermal electricity today than twenty years back. Has the cost of its generation fallen by 300% :dude:? WTH?

Last edited:

Mad Indian

Proud Bigot
Country flag
Can you please provide some source regarding cost of solar power per unit? A comparison of solar power cost per unit in 2008 Vs 2014 would be great.

The recently agreement signed by MP govt tells a different story.

Cost of production dropped 60%; price to equal thermal power's in three years

Can you please provide some source?
U.S. Energy Information Administration (EIA) - Source

Is it good enough? The cost of solar energy is about 1.5 times that of other sources in terms of levelised cost and 4 times that of others in terms of transmission expenditure , twice more expensive for investment ....

Which is more secure in terms of radiation. A solar one or a nuclear one?
Which is more secure, less death from poverty because we can afford nuclear plants or more deaths from solar plant because we cant afford them?
How many years it take to build a 1000 MW nuclear power plant? For example, Kudankulam Nuclear plant was started in 2002 and is scheduled to start operation in Jan 2015. So it took 13 years for 1000 MW. We have achieved 3000 MW of solar power in just 3-4 years.
There is something called as "levelised cost", which factor that in (which is much less relevent wrt india as we are comparatively poorer and need the least costly ones) and the solar energy is about 1.5 times as costly as the nuclear plants. BTW, KKNP will provide power for atleast 40-60 more years from now

Last edited:

Mad Indian

Proud Bigot
Country flag
Half of the components of a roof-top solar unit are available in a average Delhi ( or any other city) home even today. Ask what?
If it indeed is cheaper to other alternatives, then there is nothing wrong in adopting it. But forcing me to adopt is retarded as I might not have the same requirements. The power requirements of those who do have the solar panels might have necessitated them to adopt it so they might have used it. What is the gaurentee that I will need? So how can you force me to do it if I dont want to, which is exactly what you said in your post- that there should be a law to enforce it!

Btw, we indeed contemplated using solar generation on our roof tops for our Hospital but decided against it as it was too expensive to be worthwhile even by commercial tariff standards.

And if it indeed is so inexpensive, why is a state like TN, where there is so much power cuts with possibly the best sunlight exposure there is in all of India considering how close to equator we are than northies, why have not the industries using solar power for powering their plants here? Because its very expensive even by their tariff standards. Also, its very unreliable needing lot more investment.

Last edited:

ladder

Country flag
If it indeed is cheaper to other alternatives, then there is nothing wrong in adopting it. But forcing me to adopt is retarded. The power requirements of those who do have the solar panels might have necessitated them to adopt it so they might have used it. What is the gaurentee that I will need? So how can you force me to do it if I dont want to, which is exactly what you said in your post- that there should be a law to enforce it!
Yes, law should be there. Why? To push something upto the energy barrier. Then the reaction continues on its own. ( You being a doctor know it better)

It is definitely not cheaper. Not until the scale of production brings the costs down. Until then GOI is giving subsidy to make it equivalent to other sources.

The answer to my question is inverter. A home inverter system costs 33 to 50% of the roof-top solar set-up. And owing to our power owes in cities how many household own it? Each one is a potential/ target customer.

Only thing that stops them is the initial investment. So if a person spends less on the curtains and carpets in his new home to divert fund for solar system (due to law) then I would be happy as in the long run he will be able to afford better curtains.

Mad Indian

Proud Bigot
Country flag
Yes, law should be there. Why? To push something upto the energy barrier. Then the reaction continues on its own. ( You being a doctor know it better)
Yes lets bankrupt the middle class with that law. Nothing wrong with that. This is exactly the kind of environmental nons sense which slowed down EU and you want India to follow the same path?

It is definitely not cheaper. Not until the scale of production brings the costs down. Until then GOI is giving subsidy to make it equivalent to other sources.

Subsidy huh? And who pays for these subsidies? Middle class again

The answer to my question is inverter. A home inverter system costs 33 to 50% of the roof-top solar set-up. And owing to our power owes in cities how many household own it? Each one is a potential/ target customer.
Again, different people, different power requirements
Only thing that stops them is the initial investment. So if a person spends less on the curtains and carpets in his new home to divert fund for solar system (due to law) then I would be happy as in the long run he will be able to afford better curtains.

Nope, Solar energy is costlier even taking into account the levelized costs. while the investment cost is twice that of the nuclear plant- its life cycle cost will be 1.5 times as much that

PS: Btw, we indeed contemplated using solar generation on our roof tops for our Hospital but decided against it as it was too expensive to be worthwhile even by commercial tariff standards.

ladder

Country flag
Yes lets bankrupt the middle class with that law. Nothing wrong with that. This is exactly the kind of environmental nons sense which slowed down EU and you want India to follow the same path?

Subsidy huh? And who pays for these subsidies? Middle class again

Again, different people, different power requirements

Nope, Solar energy is costlier even taking into account the levelized costs. while the investment cost is twice that of the nuclear plant- its life cycle cost will be 1.5 times as much that

PS: Btw, we indeed contemplated using solar generation on our roof tops for our Hospital but decided against it as it was too expensive to be worthwhile even by commercial tariff standards.
=================

OK, lets then get into the economics to see if your assumption is correct or mine? ( You know I don't like economics)

Secondly hospitals shouldn't be the target as they can't wish away the gen set.

Well then will you provide the installation breakup for your hospital or should we progress on a simulated data?

===============

Ps do you or don't you agree that those who have inverter should switch to solar PV also?

Last edited:

Mad Indian

Proud Bigot
Country flag
=================

OK, lets then get into the economics to see if your assumption is correct or mine? ( You know I don't like economics)

Secondly hospitals shouldn't be the target as they can't wish away the gen set.
What economics discussion can be there? It ends there at the levelised cost.

And I was not even talking about the reliability of the solar plant for the hospital- it was economically unviable even by commercial tariff standards.
@NSG_Blackcats About the environment- solar energy being safer than nuclear is aboslute horse shit, while it produces less polution than coal, it is not 0% emission free as the process involved in its production indeed produces pollution. If you think radiation poisoning in the nuclear reactor is a very big danger, you are suffering from conformation bias. Its like saying that the aeroplanes are the worst form of travel as they have freequent accidents while ignoring that roads kill thousand time more than airtravel.

For instance, how many cases of radiation poisoning do you know of due to nuclear plants in France vs the cases of silicosis/lung cancer due to coal fields in France(we can take France as the yardstick as it has 65% of it energy generated from nuclear energy)?

Last edited by a moderator:

ladder

Country flag
What economics discussion can be there? It ends there at the levelised cost.

And I was not even talking about the reliability of the solar plant for the hospital- it was economically unviable even by commercial tariff standards.
@NSG_Blackcats About the environment- solar energy being safer than nuclear is aboslute horse shit, while it produces less polution than coal, it is not 0% emission free as the process involved in its production indeed produces pollution. If you think radiation poisoning in the nuclear reactor is a very big danger, you are suffering from conformation bias. Its like saying that the aeroplanes are the worst form of travel as they have freequent accidents while ignoring that roads kill thousand time more than airtravel.

For instance, how many cases of radiation poisoning do you know of due to nuclear plants in France vs the cases of silicosis/lung cancer due to coal fields in France(we can take France as the yardstick as it has 65% of it energy generated from nuclear energy)?
Well does it end at level costs?

That why I said show me how much losses were you facing with your hospital installation.

Also, subsidy by govt. which again you think middle-class will pay isn't applicable as govt. too would gain more in the long run.

And comparing with Europe isn't correct as 1. as I have already presented, unlike India they don't have a concept of Inverter.( Which is already contributing 40% costs)

2. A clean slate is easier to write. As in India unlike Europe.

=================
www.greenpeace.org/india/Global/india/report/2013/Rooftop-Revolution.pdf

Last edited by a moderator:

Latest Replies

Global Defence

New threads

Articles