Govt cancels massive anti-tank guided missile deal with Israel, asks DRDO to 'Make in India'

sayareakd

Mod
Country flag
http://www.timesnownews.com/india/a...r-missiles-ministry-of-defence-nirmala/129040

New Delhi: The Union government is reported to have cancelled a planned massive USD 500 million deal with Israel for Spike Anti-Tank Guided Missile (ATGM).

Armed forces favour foreign fighter jets, tanks over advanced versions of indigenous Tejas, Arjun

The Indian Express newspaper reported on Monday that the Ministry of Defence (MoD) has instead asked the Defence Research and Development Organisation (DRDO) to indigenously develop a Man-Portable ATGM for the Army.

Mikesingh

Professional
Country flag
Music to my ears.

I badly wanted this deal to cancel.

Now, Push DRDO on Man Portable NAG.

Great Job Raksha Mantri ji.
So then we wait another 50 years for it? Knowing the DRDO, this one is going to be a dud deal, unless we get the private sector to participate which has a semblance of work culture and time lines/targets.

binayak95

Country flag
So then we wait another 50 years for it? Knowing the DRDO, this one is going to be a dud deal, unless we get the private sector to participate which has a semblance of work culture and time lines/targets.
I do agree about the work culture of DPSUs, but this project has VEM technologies and BDL as the producers. Pvt partnership is there from the get go... Perhaps, this may not turn out to be a dud?

hit&run

United States of Hindu Empire
Mod
Until unless things are not shoved down these corrupt 'Gernails' they are not going to shed their love for foreign maal.

Now I am waiting for sophistry and 'n' numbers of articles/OpEds; how Modi is so illiterate, do not not understand military requirements and how he is so dangerous as they won't be implicate their operational doctrines with Desi weapon systems.

sayareakd

Mod
Country flag
I think DRDO should pull itself up, we need to have timely project delivery, get fast and cracking. This is new world, where you have to deliver, not what you think is best, but what is cutting edge. Those who can't should be thrown out/ retired. New guys should be given a chance. Work deliver, move up the ladder, those who can't. let them fall.

We need to won war before it happen, for that we need tech for enemies to see and think, that it is useless to fight with these guys, giving up is better option. They need to work on this with up most focus.

Bahamut

When we could reach Mars and moon on our own, its embarrassment that we have to buy foreign missile for 2.5 kms range for anti tank role. Good work Defence minister @nsitharaman
Our ATGM are hopelessly outdated, at least a few spike should as been bought as man potable nag is being developed.
It is not wise to put all eggs in one basket.
I think DRDO should pull itself up, we need to have timely project delivery, get fast and cracking. This is new world, where you have to deliver, not what you think is best, but what is cutting edge. Those who can't should be thrown out/ retired. New guys should be given a chance. Work deliver, move up the ladder, those who can't. let them fall.
Our defences budget is 55$ billion with about 42% going to pay. Just 40 % is modernization for armed forces which are planning to expand not reduce in physical size. It will take minimum of, 5 year for man portable ATGM to come. Better give spike contract to a private player like L&T or other, then to cancel it.

sayareakd

Mod
Country flag
Our ATGM are hopelessly outdated, at least a few spike should as been bought as man potable nag is being developed.
It is not wise to put all eggs in one basket.

Our defences budget is 55$ billion with about 42% going to pay. Just 40 % is modernization for armed forces which are planning to expand not reduce in physical size. It will take minimum of, 5 year for man portable ATGM to come. Better give spike contract to a private player like L&T or other, then to cancel it.
If they want to give extended range Spike, no harm in it, but Spike MR is useless. We have 1. CLGM (it use duel guidance), 2. man portable Nag (fire and forget), 3. Milan next generation made by OFB (you have to optically guide it to target), which is wireless, all three are similar in use, with different tech. (for same range)

Now you want Spike ER, it failed trials, already Kunal sir has posted that.

mayfair

Until unless things are not shoved down these corrupt 'Gernails' they are not going to shed their love for foreign maal.
More than the services, it's the faceless MoD babus and netas who love the foreign maal- they make the decisions and grab the largest piece of the pie.

Of course cretin like Shook-Law are there in services to peddle foreign wares, but the keys to the vault lie with the unholy babu-neta nexus.

R A Varun

Country flag
i pity the drdo mpatgm developer crew,

because now there is a fire under them,

thank you modi dada, after all litting up fire right below them,

i am worried about the fate of the arms lobbiests, who were happy because of the deal,

i am though sad on behalf of the kalyani group, to say one of the real poineer, however goodluck for them with their guns.

Bahamut

If they want to give extended range Spike, no harm in it, but Spike MR is useless. We have 1. CLGM (it use duel guidance), 2. man portable Nag (fire and forget), 3. Milan next generation made by OFB (you have to optically guide it to target), which is wireless, all three are similar in use, with different tech. (for same range)

Now you want Spike ER, it failed trials, already Kunal sir has posted that.
CLGM has just entered limited production, where us the man portable nag. It only on paper. Even normal nag has to completed user verification trails.
Just 300 spike could have been procured so that at least we have a new ATGM before nag man portal start trails. Now it will take minimum of 3 year for a new missile. Then add another 2 year for trails if all works out. By the time it start to reach the army units It will be 7 year. By that time the original order for spike should have been completed.

Mikesingh

Professional
Country flag
CLGM has just entered limited production, where us the man portable nag. It only on paper. Even normal nag has to completed user verification trails.
Just 300 spike could have been procured so that at least we have a new ATGM before nag man portal start trails. Now it will take minimum of 3 year for a new missile. Then add another 2 year for trails if all works out. By the time it start to reach the army units It will be 7 year. By that time the original order for spike should have been completed.
7 years? You're rather too optimistic. I would give it at least 10 years for the Army to be fully equipped with the required number of man-portable fire-and-forget anti tank missiles.

WolfPack86

Country flag
It would be nice if had they said one year or 2 year for developement and induction in army. But rather i am afraid that drdo would not able to deliver missile in time and there will be short fall of missile in army. I want defence minister to put time line for developement of anti-tank missile so there is no delay.

Global Defence

Articles