Government Denies Help to 26/11 NSG Commando Heroes?

Daredevil

On Vacation!
Super Mod
In a bid to highlight the government's apathy towards 26/11 heroes, activist-turned politician Arvind Kejriwal on Thursday presented a NSG commando, who fought terrorists during the Mumbai terror attacks, saying the soldiers are still fighting for their rights.

Former NSG commando Surendra Singh said that the government did not do its duty towards them. "I became unfit after 26/11 but the government is not bearing the cost of my medical expenses. I even tried taking help through RTI. I was told that NSG will not reply to RTI as it does not come under RTI. I wanted to know the criteria and eligibility of NSG commandos in my RTI. I wanted to know about foreign donations that were sent to help us. My request was rejected," he said.

Kejriwal said, "Pakistani terrorists attacked Mumbai on 26/11/2008. Kasab was hanged on Wednesday but those NSG commandos who fought these terrorists are still fighting for their rights. Out of the 11, 2 people were kicked out of the job. These two became disabled because of the Mumbai attack".

Singh further said that Indian cricket captain Mahendra Singh Dhoni also donated Rs 7 lakh for the NSG commandos. "We got money, one lakh each from Prime Minister's fund," he said.

Surendra Singh denied that he's got Rs 31,00,000 as pension as reported by Press Information Bureau. However, the government in its release said that it had given Singh all his dues.

The PIB has refuted Surendra Singh's claims, saying that the government has cleared all his dues. Following are the tweets by PIB:

- The Govt has given Nk Surender Singh all his dues.

- Informed on telephone on 16th Nov that war injury pension sanctioned; bankers also informed.

- Nk Surender Singh getting war injury pension of Rs 25,254/- per month.

- Rs 31 lac retirement emoluments paid to Nk Surender Singh.

Live: Govt says it gave ex-NSG commando Rs 31 lakh, soldier denies getting any help- Politics News- IBNLive

Singh

Phat Cat
Super Mod
Country flag
Who is twisting the facts ?

Is there any video of Singh's presscon ?

Daredevil

On Vacation!
Super Mod
A day after Kasab's execution, Kejriwal claims 26/11 NSG commandos living a pitiable life

New Delhi: A day after Mumbai terror attack accused Ajmal Kasab was hanged in Pune's Yerwada jail, activist-turned-politician Arvind Kejriwal is taking up the cause of National Security Guard (NSG) commandos who fought the terrorists during the massacre. Kejriwal is set to bring up an NSG Commando at a press conference on Thursday at 1 pm to expose the government's apathy towards 26/11 heroes.

Kejriwal claims that the NSG commandos who played a crucial role in countering the terrorists on 26/11 are leading a pitiable live. Kejriwal alleges on Twitter that some of them were sacked without pensions and denied medical benefits.

"Ajmal Kasab hanged yesterday. But wat abt those NSG commandos who fought that nite and saved India? They r leading a pitiable life. Some of them thrown out of job wid no pensions, they r footing their own medical bills, no honors for them. One of them dares to speak up. Meet him at 1 pm in a press conf. He wud narrate the story of others too (sic)," Kejriwal said on Twitter. All eyes will be on Kejriwal's press conference on Thursday.

Wednesday, November 21, 2012, was a red-letter day in the 26/11 chapter with convict Ajmal Kasab being hanged and buried under secrecy in Pune's Yerawada jail.

A day after Kasab's execution, Kejriwal claims 26/11 NSG commandos living a pitiable life- Politics News- IBNLive

sasi

Surendra Singh denied that he's got Rs 31,00,000 as pension as reported by Press Information Bureau.
~Then who got the money ?

Daredevil

On Vacation!
Super Mod
Kejriwal, govt lock horns over 26/11 heroes, commando says he got no help-

New Delhi: After a brief period of silence, another round of war of words has erupted between the government and activist-turned-politician Arvind Kejriwal. Ahead of the 26/11 Mumbai terror attacks anniversary and just a day after Ajmal Kasab was executed, Kejriwal has taken up the cause of NSG commandos who fought terrorists during the 26/11 operation. Kejriwal claimed that commandos who risked their lives to counter the terrorists are victims of government's apathy and did not get their dues. He presented a NSG commando, Lance Naik Surender Singh, who lost his hearing during 26/11, at a press conference.

In its response, the government claimed it has paid Rs 31 lakh in retirement benefits to Surender. The government also said that a war injury pension of Rs 25,000 per month was cleared last week. But Surender denied receiving any funds. Kejriwal said Surender had only got a fraction as the sum was distributed between 11 commandos injured during the operation.

Claiming that the Kejriwal's allegations are false, Congress leader Manish Tewari said that the government has highest respect for people who risk their lives for the country. "Ministry of Defence will be putting a detailed statement later. As I've been given to understand, Surender Singh has been paid Rs 31 lakh. Finer details of compensation will be put up by the MoD," he said.

Surender suffered injuries in the 26/11 operations and had to leave the forces. Surender claims he has not got the war injury pension even once over the past 4 years. He also said that the Indian Army denied post-retirement benefits saying he has not completed 15 years of service.

However, the government says Surender's war injury pension has been cleared last week. It also claimed paying Surender Rs 31 lakh, but the ex-army man says the sum was distributed among 11 people and he got a little more than Rs 2 lakh.

Kejriwal further slammed the government over Surendra's claims, saying the government is shamelessly misleading the nation. He said on Twitter, "31 lakhs given to 11 injured, not to Surinder Singh. Out of 31 lakhs, surinder got jst 2.5 lakh. Can govt prove that surinder getting Rs 25 thousand per month? If it is not proved, who wud resign in govt for misleading nation? (sic)".

Interestingly, the Government's rejection first came on PIB's twitter handle even as the press conference was on. Narating his story, Singh said he was severely injured in the operation to flush out terrorists from the Taj Mahal Hotel in Mumbai and was invalidated from service in October, 2011. Since last year, he alleged, he has not received "even a single paise" from the government.

Singh claimed that NSG commandos, who were injured in the 26/11 operation, received a "number of gifts in the form of cheques" but the force had not dispersed them to the people

concerned. "I saw a file in which the photocopy of a cheque of Rs 2 lakh each from Rohan Motors Pvt Ltd and another firm were received in my name. I never got the money. Not just me but none of my colleagues got the money which came in their name. I want to know who en-cashed them and where are they now?" he asked.

"When I asked officials what happened to the money, they said the Home Ministry decided that no gifts or donations will be received by the NSG. But they did not show me the records to prove that those money have been returned," Singh said.

He also demanded that an enquiry be launched into the matter and the government clarify what it did with the money gifted by several firms and individuals. He also distributed copies of an RTI reply which said he received around Rs 2.5 lakh as financial benefits from the Government of India.

Presenting an order from the Government which said Singh was not eligible to get pension as he has put in only 14 years and three months of service as against the mandatory 15 years, Kejriwal claimed there are several clauses in the law under which a commando can be given concessions so that he gets his pension.

"Is this the way to treat our commandos who sacrifice their lives for the nation? Does he deserve just Rs 4 lakh? The government should say what happened to the cheques that were gifted to the NSG?" he asked.

The Government was swift in rejecting the allegations when it took to twitter and said: "The government has given Nk (Naik) Surender Singh all his dues." Press Information Bureau's twitter handle said: "(The government has) informed Singh on November 16 through telephone that war injury pension has been sanctioned and bankers were also informed."

"Surender Singh is getting war injury pension of Rs 25,254 per month. Rs 31 lakh retirement emoluments is paid to Surender Singh," it said. Home Minister Sushil Kumar Shinde said the commandos were drawn from different forces. "I will inquire into it," he told reporters when asked about the allegations.

However, Singh rejected the claims and said he has not received any money from the government. "You can check my bank account. I have not got any money. The government is lying," he said. Singh said he received roughly around Rs 4 lakh as rewards from various sources, including Rs 1 lakh each from Prime Minister Manmohan Singh and Haryana Chief Minister Bhupinder Singh Hooda. "In that money, I spent over Rs 1 lakh on medical expenses. I have a family to run," he said.

Kejriwal, govt lock horns over 26/11 heroes, commando says he got no help- Politics News- IBNLive

Daredevil

On Vacation!
Super Mod
Surendra Singh denied that he's got Rs 31,00,000 as pension as reported by Press Information Bureau.
~Then who got the money ?
31 lakhs were distributed among 11 NSG commandos. Surender Singh only got 2.5 lakh from that.

sob

Mod
Country flag
31 lakhs were distributed among 11 NSG commandos. Surender Singh only got 2.5 lakh from that.
If that is the case then PIB is lying in it's tweets. Drag them to court for misleading the public.

Blackwater

Question to be asked

why sunder singh kept Quits for 4 yrs?

why Govt pass 25,000 per month to sunder singh just last week ?

sesha_maruthi27

Country flag
He was quiet because he would have not got what he is getting at least now......

jackprince

Turning into a frog
Country flag
It is very doubtful that the Commando, who is in turn a govt. employee and a defense personnel, has not got his dues. He might have mistaken about his dues though, as it happens with most people not directly related to accounts.

sayareakd

Mod
Country flag
if it is true, shame on got, they spend so much on Kasab and our commando who put his own life on life to fight for nation are waiting for help.
Shame on Goi, he don't need help, it is his dues which GOI should pay or next time you wont find many to take on terrorists while putting their life in line of duty. We are safe because of these guys, so let GOI treat them in respectable way, he got injured fighting for the country, we pay more for ministers health care and foreign visits.

sayareakd

Mod
Country flag
Goi, would have paid 25000 X 48 ( 1200000) and interest @ 12 % plus all medical benifits and rembursements for his medical bills.

VIP

Ultra Nationalist
Country flag
Don't know who's right or wrong.If commando is right then it's the worst carelessness from govt and beurocraft side. This shouldn't be happened.

jamesvaikom

NSG Commandos should get what they deserve. But if Arvind Kejriwal is sympathetic to them then why he is mum on Afzal Guru? Why he is not demanding Govt. to hang terrorists like Afzal Guru and use the money spend to provide security for terrorists to help NSG Commandos?

Latest Replies

Global Defence

New threads

Articles