Gorkhalanad Issue: Treaty signed for greater Autonomy

Discussion in 'Politics & Society' started by I-G, Jul 13, 2009.

1. I-G

I-G Tihar Jail Banned

Centre suggests tripartite talks on 'Gorkhaland' issue
    PTI 13 July 2009, 05:26pm IST

NEW DELHI: The Centre suggested to the West Bengal government that a tripartite meet, involving the two governments and the Gorkha Janmukti Morcha

(GJM), could be held on August 24 for talks regarding creation of a separate Gorkha state.

The Centre has asked the state government to communicate the proposal to the GJM and convey back the response to it.

"The union government has suggested to the West Bengal government that the tripartite meeting could be held on August 24. The Centre also told the state government to communicate the message to the GJM," a senior home ministry official said.

A delegation of the GJM, led by BJP MP from Darjeeling Jaswant Singh, had met union home minister P Chidambaram on June 15 here seeking immediate talks involving the Centre, West Bengal Government govt and GJM representatives to pave way for creation of the new state.

The last tripartite meeting between the three stakeholders took place on December 29 last year where it was decided to take forward the talks after the Lok Sabha polls.

Centre suggests tripartite talks on 'Gorkhaland' issue - India - NEWS - The Times of India

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 17, 2010
  3. I-G

I-G Tihar Jail Banned

Bandh continues in Darjeeling; Centre agrees to hold talks
    PTI 14 July 2009, 02:00pm IST

SILIGURI: Notwithstanding the Centre's nod for talks, Gorkha Janamukti Morcha (GJM) — sponsored indefinite bandh continued for the second day today,crippling life in three hill sub—divisions of Darjeeling district.

GJM Press and Publicity Secretary, Benoy Tamang said over phone that the Centre had decided to have third round of tripartite talks in Delhi on August 24 with the GJM delegation led by the party's General Secretary Roshan Giri in New Delhi on Monday night.

But, the offer for talks was not enough to review the bandh decision. Besides a political solution to Gorkhaland demand, there were other demands too, he said.

Their demands include transfer of the Inspector General of Police (North Bengal), K L Tamta, ASP (headquarters), A Chaturvedi and SDPO, Kurseong, Partha Paul and unconditional release of all GJM supporters, he added.

Additional Superintendent of Police (headquarters), Darjeeling, A Chaturvedi said the Himalayan state Sikkim remained cut off as the life line, national highway 31a passing through Darjeeling hills was also affected by the bandh.

All shops and business establishments remained closed. No one turned up for duties either in the state or central government offices. Tea gardens and cinchona plantation in Kalimpong were also not functioning, Chaturvedi said

Bandh continues in Darjeeling; Centre agrees to hold talks - India - NEWS - The Times of India

4. I-G

I-G Tihar Jail Banned

Trinamool calls for resolution of Gorkhaland issue

Updated on Wednesday, July 15, 2009, 18:56 IST

Kolkata: The Trinamool Congress on Wednesday called for diffusing the present stalemate over the demand for a separate Gorkhaland state by arriving at a solution "within the constitutional framework".

The development came even as the Gorkha Janamukti Morcha, enforcing an indefinite bandh in the Darjeeling hills over the issue, hardened its stand saying it would call off the strike only if the forthcoming tripartite talks "yield positive results".

"The problem has to be solved within the present constitutional framework. The need of the hour is to maintain sovereignty and peace," senior Trinamool Congress leader Partha Chatterjee said when asked whether his party was against the creation of a separate state.

Chatterjee, the Leader of the Opposition, alleged that the unrest in Darjeeling over the years was the result of "neglect of development" by the ruling Left Front government.

"We are in favour of diffusing the present stalemate and providing an economic package for the hill people instead of using the police. The state government should also come out with what it actually wants to do to resolve the crisis.

"We also want that the agitation in Darjeeling should be democratic and non-violent," he said.

Chatterjee denied the charge by state Urban Development Minister Ashok Bhattacherjee of fueling the GJM agitation "to put the government in difficulty" and claimed that the administration's mishandling of the problem had led to the present crisis.

Chatterjee charged that the state government had given repeated extensions to Gorkha National Liberation Front chief Subhas Ghishing as chairman of the Darjeeling Gorkha Hill Council even when he had become "unpopular" among the people in the hills.

In the face of agitation by the GJM, Ghishing had stepped down in March last year as caretaker administrator of DGHC.

On the current unrest in the hills, he said: "We still hold the state government responsible for the impasse. For gaining political mileage it is sitting idle without resolving the grievances of the people of the hills."

His party, Chatterjee said, had repeatedly stressed that the hill people were "deprived of a better life, education, health and employment.

"The economic deprivation for decades has resulted in the outburst of the people," he said.

He said that in 1986, a committee was formed when Jyoti Basu was the Chief Minister to redress grievances of the hill people, but "since then nothing has been done".

Trinamool calls for resolution of Gorkhaland issue

5. I-G

I-G Tihar Jail Banned

Sikkim remains cut off, govt to ration fuel

Updated on Thursday, July 16, 2009, 15:33 IST
    Gangtok: The Sikkim government Thursday decided to ration the sale of fuel as the state remained cut off from other parts of the country for the third successive day in the wake of the blockade by Gorkha Jan Mukti Morcha (GJM) on the NH-31A, the lifeline of the border state.

The traffic on the NH-31A was bare minimum barring those of the army and other emergency services since Tuesday morning on the account of the GJM bandh, police officials at the inter-state border check post at Rangpo said here.

Bracing up for a prolonged blockade of the highway, the state government has decided to ration the sale of petroleum and diesel through the petrol pumps and other retails outlets from today, official sources said.

The retailers have been directed to sale five litres of petrol and 10 litres of diesel to the consumers on the daily basis till the blockade gets lifted by the agitators.

The state government has directed various agencies to prevent hoarding of essential commodities by the wholesale dealers and retail shop keepers, besides ensuring that the prices of various commodities did not spiral due to shortage of these items, the sources said.

District Magistrates of all four districts have been asked to regularly review the stock of the commodities in their jurisdiction for consumption by the people.

Sikkim remains cut off, govt to ration fuel

6. I-G

I-G Tihar Jail Banned

Sikkim remains cut off for fourth successive day
    PTI 17 July 2009, 12:42pm IST

GANGTOK: Sikkim remained cut off from other parts of the country for the fourth successive day on Friday due to the blockade of the National Highway 31A by the Gorkha JanaMukti Morcha (GJM) as part of its agitation for a separate Gorkhaland statehood demand.

The movement of traffic between Sikkim and Siliguri through the NH-31A has been a bare minimum barring those of the army and the emergency services like ambulances, the police officials manning the inter-state border check post at Rangpo said.

However, Sikkim may get a breather from the ongoing strike as the GJM was understood to have decided to relax the blockade for 12 hours from 6 am to 6 pm tomorrow apparently for the convenience of the local people and transportation of essential supplies, official sources said.

Chief minister Pawan Kumar Chamling is expected to raise the issue of frequent blockade of NH-31A - the lifeline of Sikkim - with the Centre during his ongoing visit to New Delhi and impress upon the central government to find out a permanent solution to the woes of the border state due to political agitation in the neighbouring state.

Sikkim remains cut off for fourth successive day - India - NEWS - The Times of India

7. Payeng

Payeng Daku Mongol Singh

Is it only Sikkim which is effected or the whole Northeast.

8. I-G

I-G Tihar Jail Banned

crippling life in three hill sub—divisions of Darjeeling district.

They have blocked the NH-31A .

National Highway 31A, which links Gangtok to Siliguri, located 114 km (71 mi) away in the neighbouring state of West Bengal. The highway also provides a link to the neighbouring hill station towns of Darjeeling and Kalimpong, which are the nearest urban areas.

9. I-G

I-G Tihar Jail Banned

Govt advances date for tripartite talks with Gorkha group

New Delhi (IANS): Bowing to the request of the Gorkha Janmukti Morcha (GJM) to advance the date for tripartite talks on its demand for a separate Gorkhaland, the government Saturday advanced the date by a fortnight to Aug 11 as a "goodwill gesture".

"This has been done as a goodwill gesture to the GJM. This is the earliest possible date for holding the tripartite talks after the current parliament session ends," said a home ministry statement.

The government had earlier proposed to hold the talks -- between GJM, the West Bengal and central governments -- on Aug 24.

On Friday, the GJM sent a fax message to the central government demanding that the tripartite meeting be called early and decided to partially relax the ongoing shutdown in Darjeeling district from Monday.

The GJM, which is fighting for a separate Gorkhaland state to be carved out in north Bengal, said it would relax the strike July 20-23. It began the shutdown July 13.

The Hindu News Update Service

10. I-G

I-G Tihar Jail Banned

GJM relaxes bandh, Gurung threatens to commit suicide

Siliguri (PTI): The GJM relaxed the indefinite bandh in Darjeeling for five days to allow movement of essential commodities to Sikkim, which has a sole road link through the hills, even as GJM chief Bimal Gurung said he would commit suicide if he fails to achieve Gorkhaland.

GJM President Bimal Gurung said the relaxation of the bandh, which entered the sixth day today, for 12 hours on the national highway, the arterial road link to Sikkim, was extended "as a good gesture to the Centre".

The Centre should accept his three-point charter of demands that the proposed third round of tripartite talks involving also the Centre and West Bengal government on Gorkhaland be held by this month instead of on August 24 as announced, he said.

(Meanwhile, the Centre preponed the talks to August 11).

The second and third points were that the talks should be at the political level and the only agenda should be Gorkhaland, he said while releasing a book 'Why Gorkhaland' at the Gymkhana Club in Darjeeling yesterday evening.

If the conditions were not immediately fulfilled, the GJM would again block the national highway from 6:00 am on July 23 cutting off Sikkim from the rest of the country, he warned.

Gurung also urged the hill people to allow him a little more time as his commitment to achieve Gorkhaland by March 2010 appeared to be 'impossible'.

"If I fail to achieve Gorkhaland, I will commit suicide at Chowrasta (the heart of the town)," he vowed.

GJM Press Secretary Benoy Tamang said the party has decided to keep educational institutions, tea gardens and cinchona plantation out of the purview of the bandh from July 20 till further decision.

Asked how long GJM would make the hill people suffer, Tamang replied "the people are not suffering at all.

"They are ready to make any sacrifice for statehood. GJM had given sufficient time to the people to prepare for an indefinite strike and everyone stocked up on essentials."

Additional Superintendent of Police (Headquarters) A Chaturvedi told PTI that life remained paralysed in the entire hills with shops and business establishments closed and vehicles off the roads.

Tea gardens and cinchona plantation also did not function.

Attendance in both state and central government offices was nil, he said.

Asked about law and order and whether the police were on patrol, Chaturvedi told PTI "the GJM is not allowing any movement by the police. Only the SP, DSP and in-charge of police stations are allowed."

Meanwhile, a report from Gangtok said that there was a heavy rush of traffic on the NH 31A throughout the day with over a thousand vehicles plying on the route after the GJM relaxed the blockade.

"The traffic was more than double the number of the normal 600 to 800 vehicles," police officials manning the inter-state border check post at Rangpo told PTI.

Vehicles bearing West Bengal number plates were, however, still not seen on the highway as the GJM's relaxation was meant for the vehicles bearing Sikkim number plates only, the officials said.

Travellers, however, complained that commercial vehicles were charging double the normal for a trip to Siliguri.

Consumers could also look forward to a respite from spiralling prices of essential commodities like vegetables, which had soared considerably due to the blockade since Tuesday.

11. I-G

I-G Tihar Jail Banned

GJM announces 10-hour recess in indefinite bandh on Monday
    PTI 19 July 2009, 07:53pm IST

SILIGURI: Gorkha Janamukti Morcha (GJM) on Sunday announced a 10-hour recess in the ongoing indefinite bandh in Darjeeling hills from 8.00 AM Monday.

The GJM press secretary, Benoy Tamang, said over phone that the decision was taken to help outstation students reach their schools and colleges as all educational institutions were exempted from bandh from tomorrow.

This would also help residential school managements and the hill people in general to store essentials for the hostels and private houses as well, Tamang said.

All tea gardens and cinchona plantation were also given the 'relaxation' and kept out of the purview of the bandh from tomorrow, he said.

When asked whether GJM had allowed 10-hour recess in the bandh tomorrow following Centre's decision advancing the date of third round of tripartite talks from August 24 to August 11, Tamang said, "not at all. The decision of recess has no connection with the Centre's reschedule of talks."

Tamang said the Centre did not re-scheduled the date for talks as per GJM's demand which asked for any date within this month.

GJM announces 10-hour recess in indefinite bandh on Monday - India - NEWS - The Times of India

12. I-G

I-G Tihar Jail Banned

Pranab favours Sixth Schedule status for Darjeeling

Updated on Sunday, July 19, 2009, 23:37 IST
    Raiganj: Rejecting demands for a separate Gorkhaland state carved out of West Bengal, Union Finance Minister Pranab Mukherjee on sunday said the Centre was ready to grant Sixth Schedule status for Darjeeling hills and asked the GJM leadership to call off its indefinite bandh.

"There is no question of any division of Bengal," he told reporters when asked about indefinite bandh by the GJM in the Darjeeling hills which entered seventh day today.

The Centre was ready to grant Sixth Schedule status for Darjeeling or more powers under its provisions, he said.

Meanwhile, GJM General Secretary Roshan Giri said they were not ready to accept the Sixth Schedule status.

"It is against the people's interest. Sixth Schedule is a dead issue. Pranab Mukherjee should not try to reopen it. People had already opposed it and ousted its proponent GNLF supremo Subhas Ghisingh from Darjeeling. Ninety-nine per cent people in Darjeeling want Gorkhaland and Centre should consider it," Giri said.

Pranab favours Sixth Schedule status for Darjeeling

13. I-G

I-G Tihar Jail Banned

Jaswant Singh for creation of separate Gorkhaland

Updated on Friday, July 24, 2009, 18:28 IST
    New Delhi: Accusing the Left Front government in West Bengal of ignoring the Darjeeling Hills, senior BJP leader Jaswant Singh on Friday demanded creation of a separate Gorkhaland.

Singh also demanded more funds under the cyclone Aila package which is directly applicable to Darjeeling district.

Initiating debate on the Finance Bill in the Lok Sabha, the Darjeeling MP wondered "what wrong the Gorkhas have done not to deserve a separate state."

Welcoming the tripartite talks on the issue, he said the demand for Gorkhaland has been one of the oldest demands.

He said Finance Minister Pranab Mukherjee had been a Defence Minister and should understand the special importance of the Darjeeling district which shares international boundaries with Bhutan, Nepal, Bangladesh and China.

Singh said it would be "grave injustice" to national security and the people there if the Darjeeling Hills are not given the importance of a hill state.

He said while he was not against development of border roads in Sikkim, Darjeeling should also be provided with similar infrastructure.

Singh, a former Commissioned officer of the Indian Army, said the officer cadre should not be left out under the one-rank, one-pension announced by the government.

He said officers were the first ones to get killed in operations as they led their men in battle. "They also leave behind widows," he added.

Jaswant Singh for creation of separate Gorkhaland

14. I-G

I-G Tihar Jail Banned

GJM calls off indefinite Darjeeling shutdown

Siliguri (IANS): The Gorkha Janmukti Morcha (GJM), fighting for a separate Gorkhaland state, on Monday withdrew its indefinite shutdown in the three hill sub-divisions of West Bengal's Darjeeling district ahead of tri-partite talks with the government.

GJM chief Bimal Gurung announced the withdrawal of the shutdown at a public meeting in Chowrasta of Darjeeling town.

GJM press and publicity secretary Harka Bahadur Chhetri said the outfit would wait for the outcome of the third round of tri-partite talks on August 11 with the state and central governments on its demand for a separate state of Gorkhaland to be carved out of parts of northern West Bengal.

"We will review our stand on August 17 in the light of the developments during the August 11 tri-partite talks," he said.

15. I-G

I-G Tihar Jail Banned

GJM wants hill people to wear only ethnic dresses during pujas

Updated on Monday, September 07, 2009, 23:13 IST Tags:GJM, Pujas, ethnic dresses

Siliguri (WB): The Gorkha Janamukti Morcha (GJM) has asked the people in the Darjeeling hills to wear only traditional dresses during the festive season starting from October 25.

Nepali-speaking people, in particular, had been asked to be attired in their ethnic clothes for a month from October 25, GJM general secretary Roshan Giri said.

He said the directive would not only help in preserving the cultural tradition of the hills but also present a colourful sight for the tourists. However, he said the directive should not be misconstrued as imposing restriction on wearing western dress in the hills.

"We have respect for all cultures - eastern or western - but at the same time we want to protect, preserve and honour our own tradition and culture," he pointed out.

Bureau Report

GJM wants hill people to wear only ethnic dresses during pujas

16. LETHALFORCE

LETHALFORCE Moderator Moderator

Gurkhas for a separate state.

Gurkhas to declare independent state in India - Telegraph

Gurkhas to declare independent state in India

They claim they have been forced to take the step by decades of misrule which has siphoned away millions of pounds of government funds earmarked for them.

Despite the lucrative tea and tourism industries in the area, unemployment is high, electricity supply is sporadic and people are forced to travel for hours to the nearest proper hospital.

Now Indian Gurkhas, who dominate the Darjeeling Hills in the country's north-east gateway, are becoming increasingly restive.

The Calcutta-based state government granted limited autonomy through the Darjeeling Gorkha Hill Council in 1988, but today's Gurkha leaders say it has no powers, and cannot even hire permanent staff. Its leaders wear tweed jackets and hold their meetings in an old British greasy spoon café over scrambled eggs.

Earlier this week its 6,000 civil servants went on hunger strike over their casual status – teachers and senior administrators earn as little as £28 per month, less than rickshaw drivers.

Now, Bimal Gurung, leader of the Gorkha Janmukti Morcha, the Gurkha nationalist party which dominates the Darjeeling Hills, has warned he will declare a separate state within the Indian union if ministers reject their demand to break away from West Bengal.

In an interview with The Daily Telegraph, Mr Gurung said his dream is to restore Darjeeling to its glory days and the high living standards it enjoyed as 'Queen of the Hills' during the British Raj.

"Darjeeling was a health resort under the British, but since they left nothing has been done," he said from his party office in a small lock-up warehouse.

"People must go down to the plains for hospital treatment, and the West Bengal government would not even provide a CT scanner. People here collected donations and bought their own."

Surrounded by his track-suited 'Gorkhaland Personnel' security force, Mr Gurung said many Gurkhas had fought and died in the Indian Army but their sacrifices had been rewarded with terrible roads, poor schools and an assembly with less power than a village council.

Today, Darjeeling is a tangle of unplanned, half-built concrete buildings, while its fine old British cottages and institutions, like the Darjeeling Tea Planters Club, are slowly collapsing and being devoured by moss.

Mr Gurung said a "Gorkhaland" state would be one of India's richest, and he would use its wealth to build a new Darjeeling University, and establish new medical and engineering colleges.

"We have three million people and we get £6 million from the government. Sikkim has 500,000 people and they get £1 billion," he said.

"We could collect £125 million from the hydroelectric power companies, £75 million from tea. There are huge revenues, but 70 per cent of our money is siphoned off," he added.

He said the Gurkhas had run out of patience and would begin a Gandhi-style campaign of non-cooperation if they were not granted statehood by January 1, 2010. They will withhold taxes, refuse to pay government bills and start to collect their own revenues.

"We've been in touch with our government, and we feel they will understand our demand for 'Gorkhaland.' It's one of India's oldest demands and [until now] it has been sabotaged," he said.

17. Rage

Rage DFI TEAM Stars and Ambassadors

A 'Gorkhaland' state within the Indian federation is not a problem. The Gorkhas should not have to live under and endure the mokeyshines of the West Bengal government - which is by far the most derelict, mismanaged and reversible state government in the country. There is tangible sympathy for their cause- not only amongst themselves but among those in the civil society in other parts of the country that are aware of their situation as well.

The Central Government has traditionally abjured on the issue because they've supposed that greater autonomy would automatically lead to a clamor for independence. There is however NO evidence to that end. As the article itself states, that Bimal Gurung, head of the Gorkha Janmukti Morcha has requisitioned for a "separate state within the Indian Union" and one that would, eventually be "one of India's richest". I utterly agree: the Gorkhas have fought in the Indian Army and their sacrifices have been rewarded with terrible roads, poor schools and "an assembly with less power than a village council".

18. LETHALFORCE

LETHALFORCE Moderator Moderator

Rage it may sound good but it mostly likely is a China sponsored movement.

19. Vikramaditya

Vikramaditya Regular Member

What is happening to our country,thanks to our great Indian leaders.........:(:)(:)(:)(:)(:)(:)((

20. Rage

Rage DFI TEAM Stars and Ambassadors

I'm quite sure it isn't Lethal. The Gorkhas, particularly those from Nepal, are as weary of China as they are of India. The 'Gorkhaland' issue is a long-standing one, one that has its roots in the pre-British era of the 'Bijaypur Kingdom' and subsequently in a proposal for a separate administrative setup for the Darjeeling area tabled before the British in 1907, even before Communist China came into existence. In 1917, when the Hillmen's Association came into being and petitioned for the administrative separation of Darjeeling and again in 1930 and 1934, China was still in civil war. The Gorkhas have always been concerned about their identity being subsumed under larger Bengali ones, and their desire is simply the recognition as a 'minority community' under the Constitution. Their call for a separate state within the Indian Union is exacerbated by the Bengal government's neglect of that region. The movement has the support of mainstream Sikkim parties and of the BJP as well, primarily because it does not evince separation, but merely the acquiescence of a separate state within India with a separate administrative setup and separate local identity, and moreso because it calls for a non-violent form of protest by refusing to pay state government taxes in the form of water and phone bills.

21. Pintu

Pintu New Member

Dear Rage, I admire the sacrifice met by the Gurkha communities by protecting our motherland , I held them in high respect, not only me but every Indian and every Bengali speaking person, while not getting into any political colour or political ideology, which I avoid most , I must say that the original inhabitants were Lepchas not the Gurkhas from Nepal, till 1828, Darjeeling was merely a village of Lepcha people,

the brief history of modern Darjeeling as follows:

The control of Darjeeling and Kalimpong were under kingdom of Sikkim, until 1706, Kalimpong were annexed by Bhutan at the same year, while Darjeeling were wrested from Sikkim by Gurkhas , in 1780 and subsequent invasion of Sikkim by Gurkhas , who were by then assuming full control of their motherland Nepal, their annexation of Sikkim brought them with direct confrontation with British East Indian Company, thus beginning of Anglo-Nepalese war; after successful campaign from British East India Company, and their offence deep into Nepal, threatening capital Kathmandu, Nepal compelled to sign Treaty of Sugauli on December 2, 1815 which were ratified on March 4,1816 restoring the previous original rulers , Chogyal (Monarch) in Sikkim and independence of the mountainous kingdom , it served British interest of having a buffer state between Nepal and Bhutan. There was a treaty between British East Indian Company, and Chogyal at Titalia , Treaty of Titalia on February 10, 1817. However there were a territorial dispute between Nepal and Sikkim leading to the Sikkimese request of British intervention on 1828 as per the treaty at Titalya, after settling the disputes between Nepal and Sikkim, on their way back to Maldah , currently a district at the Modern State of West Bengal, Lt. Gen C.A. Llyod and Mr. J.W. Grant , ICS , found their way to Chungtong , west of Darjeeling and thought of the area , ideal for building a Sanatorium , and also the location they suggested the hills of Darjeeling, under direction from the Company, Lt. Gen Llyod , negotiated with Kingdom of Sikkim and the result was Darjeeling were handover ed to the British in 1835 at an allowance of Rs. 3000 pa. later it was raised to Rs. 6000 pa. with 20 mud huts and population of 100 people belonging to lepcha community. In light of the unprecedented hostility between Chogyal and Company , and imprisonment of two high ranked British officers , saw the British Indian troops crossing Rongit river into Sikkim, and lease agreement became full control of Darjeeling as a part of British India.

Thus the beginning of Modern Darjeeling what we do know now.

During the amount of infrastructure building construction work began with schools , planters club, setting up of rail connections begin, the arrival of immigrants of Nepal made a rapid growth in population , which stood at 100 in 1835 were 249,117 in 1901, with Lepchas became a handful minority in their own land, the current population of Darjeeling is 1.2 million with vast majority of Gurkha speaking person.

(Source: Darjeelingpolice.com - History of Darjeeling, The Queen of Hills, History of Darjeeling, Sugauli Treaty - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia,HISTORY OF SIKKIM)

About the movement , I'll air on my next post.

Regards