GOI asks IOC to drop Dow as Olympic sponsor

Discussion in 'Politics & Society' started by Ray, Nov 26, 2011.

1. Ray

Ray The Chairman Defence Professionals Moderator

The fun and games have begun!

UK in a bind?

3. trackwhack

trackwhack Tihar Jail Banned

We must boycott.

The US made BP pay $20 billion for the Oil Spill. Yet, after thousands died, we have not brought these bastards to justice.

The British press will ridicule us citing that we would have hardly won a medal, they can stuff themselves. We must boycott if they dont take Dow out.

Our businessmen are cheap, else one of our billionaires should offer London a 10 million pound counter sponsorship and tell them to ask Dow to leave.

4. Ray

One should boycott on moral grounds and of that there is good reasons.

But athletes and sportspersons, who have practised for so long and had pinned their hopes, well, they will cry an ocean!

5. Virendra

Virendra Moderator Moderator

If they don't give a damn about the innocent civilians dead at our end, they've insulted us enough already. I understand the pain of sportsperson, but would expect them to understand this viewpoint as well.

Regards,
    Virendra

6. W.G.Ewald

W.G.Ewald Defence Professionals/ DFI member of 2 Defence Professionals

Last edited: Nov 26, 2011
  7. KS

KS Bye bye DFI Veteran Member

I think we are taking the anger out on the wrong person.

The culprit is the US based Dow. Not the UK/London.

8. The Messiah

The Messiah Bow Before Me! Elite Member

We must boycott.

9. Naren1987

Naren1987 Regular Member

Ehh ?
    I think Bhopal was an American company, not British.

10. agentperry

agentperry Senior Member Senior Member

the players should go there and participate but with black bands on their wrists or something like that. this will bring worlds attention more onto this issue. india is not a nation where athletes brings hundreds of medals and india missing olympic is a big thing. hardly one or two medals come to us and if we miss it no one will give a damn to it.

its better to participate and wear something symbolic to show our discomfort

The Messiah likes this.
  11. trackwhack

12. W.G.Ewald

The question remains about the amount paid to the victims from the funds paid as a result of the civil action. If the Indian government is pursuing justifiably Dow for more money, where will that money go; specifically how much to victims and how much to lawyers? A boycott almost 30 years after the tragedy make make some people feel good about themselves. How will it help the victims and their heirs?

13. Singh

Singh Phat Cat Administrator

Height of hypocrisy.

14. no smoking

no smoking Senior Member Senior Member

Before you do it, please think this: will it hurt anybody?

How many india names were cheered in past olimpics? How many big contracts were provided by india companies?

After check it again and again, I found very few anwers to these 2 questions. So, it will be highly likely that world public won't notice the absence of india.

15. W.G.Ewald

16. W.G.Ewald

17. nimo_cn

nimo_cn Senior Member Senior Member

No intention to offend anyone, but how much difference will it make?

W.G.Ewald likes this.
  18. trackwhack

Nimo and Ewald, look at my earlier response

The British press will ridicule us citing that we would have hardly won a medal, they can stuff themselves. We must boycott if they dont take Dow out.

No one here is naive enough to suggest that our atheletes are gonna come back with a bucket full of medals. That is not the point.

BP's oil spill killed 11 employees. The bhopal tragedy killed thousands of civilians. They died in their sleep. The safety report on the plant had clearly stated that coners were cut at every stage to save costs and the then chief of Union Carbide ignored it, repeatedly.

The money doled out was an insult compared to the 20 billion that BP was asked to pay even factoring in inflation. Your half arsed arguments about where that money is going is just that - a half arsed shameful excuse. I cannot comprehend the two facedness in some of your opinions on this forum Ewald. You conveniently pick and choose morality as it suits you or your political or nationalistic bias!

19. W.G.Ewald

Wasn't the money that BP was found liable for spent on the cleanup of the vast and lengthy oil spill? Isn't that different from payments to victims of Union Carbide? I really hate cliches (particularly this one), but that sounds like comparing apples and oranges to me. And if reading my (two-faced) posts are just too unbearable for you, I direct your attention to the Ignore List feature of DFI.

Last edited: Nov 27, 2011
  20. SPIEZ

SPIEZ Senior Member Senior Member

You should try telling that to the victims of that tragical incident.

However I feel such events shouldn't be held hostage, in the future if India does host an Olympics( along with prob humpty number of scams) I see some protests coming!

21. Ray

It is natural that the British will be upset that India is planning a boycott.

It is not about medal, it is about national prestige.

If India, which is the largest country in the Commonwealth does not participate, it will be a slap on Britain's face that the as a Commonwealth nation, Britain could not prevail upon its own group!

The Dow business is a sensitive issue, and so it will cast a pall over the Olympics in the UK. There will always remain that shadow and that will dampen the festive feeling. It is the same feeling that the Chinese felt when there was the boycott call for the Olympic Flame during the Peking Olympics, where the Chinese Govt pulled out all stops, including mustering overseas Chinese, to ensure that the journey of the Olympic Flame is not tarnished too much!

It is natural for Britain to pull all stops out to save the Games and so criticism by the British media of India's boycott threat is understandable. Mass media hype is what they want to generate, the same way the Chinese bombarded the world with its 50 cent army invading the Internet during the Olympic Flame journey, where Chinese, without even understanding the English language, poured anger in pidgin, on the world!

The Messiah likes this.