Gilgit-Baltistan: Pakistan’s Hidden Paradise

Discussion in 'Pakistan' started by Neo, Sep 2, 2015.

1. Neo

Neo Senior Member Senior Member

Gilgit-Baltistan: Pakistan’s Hidden Paradise

Some stunning experiences await the traveler to one of Pakistan’s most unique regions.
    By Zehra Abid
    August 31, 2015
    [​IMG]
    Karimabad, Hunza Valley

When the twin towers were hit on September 11, there was panic in Pakistan’s Hunza Valley. Javed Ali was sitting in the lobby of his hotel, the Hilltop, when the news came in. There were shrieks and wails all around him as people watched the attacks unfold on TV. Tourists called their friends and family back home, wanting to rush out of Pakistan, and frantic calls were made to embassies. Everyone left as soon as they could. For years afterwards, Hunza saw few tourists. Restaurant signs in Japanese and Korean have faded, but they haven’t been removed; they offer fond memories of happier times.

Now, more than 14 years later, Hunza is finally experiencing something of a tourism renaissance. In the valley’s capital Karimabad, tourists have scrambled for space this summer. Visitors slept on pavements and tents were pitched on hotel roofs. Most of these tourists were Pakistani. “Earlier, there would only be foreign tourists but after 9/11, they stopped coming. Now Pakistanis have started coming in,” one local told The Diplomat. It’s almost as if the rest of Pakistan has finally discovered this semi-autonomous region, which borders the province of Khyber-Pakhtunkhwa, Pakistan administered Kashmir to the southwest, Wakhan Corridor to Afghanistan to the northwest, China to the north, and Indian Kashmir to the southwest.

Hunza is part of the Gilgit-Baltistan region of Pakistan, home to some of the world’s greatest natural treasures. For one thing, it is here where three great mountain ranges meet – the Hindu Kush, Karakoram, and Nanga Parbat. It boasts the world’s second and ninth highest mountains, K2 and Nanga Parbat. Gilgit-Baltistan in fact features five of the world’s 14 “eight-thousanders” – mountain peaks that rise 8,000 meters or more above sea level – and has an astonishing 108 peaks that are over 7,000 meters. Below 7,000, the region has so many mountains that there is neither a definitive count nor have they all been named.

Hunza Valley defies many of the usual Pakistan stereotypes. It has a near 100 percent literacy rate, women run factories and cafes, and it remains untouched by the rise of Islamic extremism seen in other parts of the county. Locals insist that it is among the very few areas in Pakistan where women can safely travel alone at night. The people of Karimabad take pride in how liberated this region is, and continue to make determined efforts to provide employment opportunities for women.

http://thediplomat.com/2015/08/gilgit-baltistan-pakistans-hidden-paradise/

Srinivas_K and blue marlin like this.
  3. rock127

rock127 Maulana Rockullah Senior Member

Sectarianism and Violence in Gilgit-Baltistan by Pakistan

Simple_Guy and Blackwater like this.
  4. rock127

rock127 Maulana Rockullah Senior Member

Kargil shuts down against Gilgit-Baltistan violence by Pakistan

============================================================================

Let's counter the ISI propaganda by these Pakis on DFI.

One of the Paki even refuse to be a Paki aka @blue marlin

@Blackwater @jackprince @Sakal Gharelu Ustad @Rowdy @alphacentury @sydsnyper @anupamsurey @VIP
    @Razor @brational @Bangalorean @Mad Indian @cobra commando @hit&run @maomao @TrueSpirit2
    @ersakthivel @OneGrimPilgrim @Vishwarupa @Srinivas_K @maomao @VIP @pmaitra @Screambowl @LETHALFORCE @DFI_COAS @bose @sorcerer @thethinker

@Neo @Raja.pakistani @Zarvan @blue marlin

5. Sylex21

Sylex21 Regular Member

Yeah it is a really beautiful place that whole area of the world is. A shame there is so much terrorism and violence going on around there, especially at risk if you a foreigner in the region. I was surprised when I looked up a picture of Kargil, at just how beautiful the city actually was.

Well hopefully in another 20-50 years, the region will settle down and can become a peaceful vacation get away.

OneGrimPilgrim and Neo like this.
  6. Neo

Google some pics of Neelum Valley if you want to see real beauty of Kashmir.
    That's my favorite place.

7. blue marlin

blue marlin Regular Member

Google some pics of Neelum Valley if you want to see real beauty of Kashmir.
    That's my favorite place.[/QUOTE]
    no pic lad where is the picture. i posted something on pdf check my thread there regarding the beauty of Pakistani kashmir.

Neo likes this.
  8. Neo

Let's not derail the thread. Kashmir is beautiful and maybe for once we can talk about her beauty.

I wonder how many DFI'ns have actually been there. I have...both sides of the border.

blue marlin likes this.
  9. brational

brational Regular Member

Whole of Kashmir including Gilgit-Baltistan is integral part of India. Pakistan should vacate our land. Pakistan will pay the price if fails to vacate the area and get the gifted portion from China.

10. tarunraju

tarunraju Moderator Moderator

Or make me mod again. I'm available almost all-day long.

Unlike PoK, Indian-administered J&K is much safer, and larger number of tourists visit it.

I've done a Jammu-Srinagar-Leh roadtrip with a Gulmarg detour on the way back to Jammu, and the crowds from the rest of India were huge.

I then realised that Indian control over J&K is worth defending to the last bullet and the last warhead.

11. Spindrift

Spindrift Regular Member

Gilgit-Baltistan: Pakistan’s Hidden Paradise with hidden terrorists

rock127, m-jeri, Alien and 1 other person like this.
  12. DingDong

DingDong Senior Member Senior Member

Gilgit Baltistan is an Indian territory. It is a part of J&K.

rock127, m-jeri, topgear and 3 others like this.
  13. Illusive

Illusive Senior Member Senior Member

Mods should change the title to something more appropriate.

My suggestion: Gilgit Baltistan: Kashmir's Paradise , only way to avoid trolling and keep it neutral.

blue marlin, DingDong and brational like this.
  14. Mad Indian

Mad Indian Proud Bigot Veteran Member Senior Member

Can we please make this happen. This place used to be very sane not long back:tsk:

rock127 likes this.
  15. musalman

musalman پاکستان زنده باد

I like the way these Indians try to sow seed of religious sectarianism`. I use these statements to show people in Pakistan that these are the people who are trying to create religious intolerance in Pakistan. :) Thank you Ganday Pani and istenjay kay pather for helping me

16. Blackwater

Blackwater Veteran Member Veteran Member

Iam always there to help pakis btw what is istenjay kay pather?? I only know pather ke phool staring salman Khan and ravina tondon

17. tsunami

tsunami Regular Member

Thanks bro mood fresh ho gaya...

Neo likes this.
  18. Blackwater

Blackwater Veteran Member Veteran Member

Always feel good neelum valley part of akhand Bharat

tsunami and Ankit Purohit like this.
  19. brational

brational Regular Member

Keep up the good work and bring some change in Pakistan so that people in Pakistan don't expect anything from India. Please show these to your PCB chief so that he stops begging for India-Baki cricket series. you will do great service to your country if you can convince your jihadi army and brainfart govt to take back the sold portion of Kashmir from China and vacate the entire POK that belongs to India. May all ah be with you!

Prashant12 and Blackwater like this.
  20. sorcerer

sorcerer Senior Member Senior Member

Religions intolerance ...as if its something new!!

Look no further than the WIKIPEDIA entry on Blasphemy
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Blasphemy_law_in_Pakistan#Selected_cases

Blasphemy...the Pillar of Pakistan Democracy!

21. Screambowl

Screambowl Senior Member Senior Member

most of the Pakis from basically punjab region call them selves punjabis. I asked one.. where are you from India or Pak, ( i knew is paki) he said.. i am also from punjab only .. but he avoided saying I am from delhi. He knew that I am Indian lol .