Gilani hits out at powerful army; expresses fears of ouster

utubekhiladi

The Preacher
Country flag
http://economictimes.indiatimes.com...sses-fears-of-ouster/articleshow/11208643.cms

ISLAMABAD: Pakistan Premier Yousuf Raza Gilani today in an unprecedented tongue-lashing against the powerful military said it is "unacceptable" if the army "considers itself a State within State" and warned that "conspiracies" are being hatched to "pack up" his government.

Prime Minister Gilani also strongly criticised the army for failing to detect Osama bin Laden's presence in the country and said government firmly stood with the institutions and fully protected them after the 2008 Mumbai attacks.

Addressing an official function organised to commemorate the birth anniversary of Pakistan's founder Muhammad Ali Jinnah, Gilani said, "I want to make it clear today that there are intrigues and conspiracies going on and the conspiracy is to pack up the elected government."

"I want to tell them that whether we are in government or opposition or among the people, we will fight for the rights of the people of Pakistan," he said without naming those who were behind the conspiracies.

People will have to decide whether they want "elected people or a dictatorship", he added as talk of a rift between his government and the military gathers pace.

The premier made a veiled reference to the differences between his government and the army, saying "no institution can be a state within a state".

He added: "Nobody can say they are not under the government. Every institution of this country, including the Ministry of Defence, is under the Prime Minister.

"There should be no ambiguity that anybody can claim that I am independent...If any individual thinks they are not under the government, they are mistaken.

"They are under the government and will remain under the government because we are the elected, chosen representatives of the people of Pakistan."

Bangalorean

Ambassador
Country flag
I think this is bluster. Groper Gilli is in a panic, and does not know what to do.

If the Army so wishes, groper Gilli will be hanging from a lamppost tomorrow! :namaste:

sesha_maruthi27

Country flag
It is the time for the political brass of pakistan to be ousted by their ARMY. We have to see the days which are coming ahead. INDIA has to watch out closely on pakistan as any wrong move by the pak ARMY will cost the relationship between INDIA and pakistan to deteriorate even further.

These kind of statements by Mr.Gillani can bring him no good and may spell disaster for him. Lets see what happens now after he had made some inflammatory statements on the Pakistan ARMY.

Last edited:

Yusuf

GUARDIAN
Super Mod
Country flag
Jab gidad ki maut aati hai, woh sheher ki taraf daudta hai.

Global Defence

New threads

Articles