Ghatkopar blast brain arrested from Hyderabad

Mad Indian

Proud Bigot
Country flag
I was talking about extremism. Let that be known. People who go extremely right these days at least te ones who sit behind computers and behind propaganda material are educated people.
Extremists? If we are extremists, then so are the 99% of the muslims in this country(and I am being generous).

And if you are going to equate us(right wingers) with the terrorists, then I think its only fair that I term all the Muslims as terrorists(though it might have some truth to it)

parijataka

Country flag
I was talking about extremism. Let that be known. People who go extremely right these days at least te ones who sit behind computers and behind propaganda material are educated people.

@LurkerBaba, the leaders of the movements are usually educated. The foot soldiers are probably not say someone like Anmal Kasab. But again we had educated people blowing themselves up as in London.

We are just trying to get behind the psyche and analyze what is it about extremism that finds followers.
It is the mindset of an individual that makes him/her receptive to extremist ideologies I believe, whether it is a poor or uneducated person or an affluent, educated person. The poor or undeucated have at least an excuse of poverty.

Last edited by a moderator:

Das ka das

Tihar Jail
Banned
Extremists? If we are extremists, then so are the 99% of the muslims in this country(and I am being generous).

And if you are going to equate us(right wingers) with the terrorists, then I think its only fair that I term all the Muslims as terrorists(though it might have some truth to it)
He is doing Taqiyah at its finest and for that he has become an Admin...great job guys!

Singh

Phat Cat
Super Mod
Country flag
Loss aversion is intricately linked to risk aversion, according to which a risk-averse person would avoid a lottery to get some fixed payoff lying between the extreme values of the lottery.

In the case above, the trade-off would be between losing the cultural identity vis-a-vis losing material comfort. If the chance of losing the cultural identity is higher, the people, who risk the chance of losing this identity, are pushed more towards extremism compared to the general population.

Now, where does education chip in this scenario? Education not only opens new avenues for personal discovery and employment, but also helps one to develop a world view. Now these educated people with world view are the ones to realize and feel the growing insignificance of their belief system. So, they would turn more towards extremism to stop the drowning civilization and try to recruit others for this cause. Some evidence for the same:
Education, Poverty, Political Violence and Terrorism: Is There a Causal Connection?
Abstract from the paper

So, I think your direction of thought linking loss aversion to extremism in this case makes a lot of sense.
Wow, this is just superb.

So @Yusuf 's assertion that
These days the highly educated find extremist philosophy very inviting.
Can be explained by risk aversion

So, it is not surprising that it is the educated class that has the higher potential to turn extremist, and paradoxically at the same time education also turns people liberal.

And using your world view analogy, it can also explain why do I see so many Indians who have lived abroad, turn into extremists.

This is just great.

Yusuf

GUARDIAN
Super Mod
Country flag
@Mad Indian, we are talking. Out extremism in general. If you have hard time comprehending stay out of the discussion. Same goes with @Das ka das. Don't keep butting in where you have. Include of what's going on

Global Defence

New threads

Articles