Ghanaians want univ statue of 'racist' Gandhi pulled down

Indx TechStyle

Kitty mod
Mod
Country flag
Ghanaians want univ statue of 'racist' Gandhi pulled down
Representative image
HIGHLIGHTS
  • The students believe Gandhi was 'racist' as he depicted black Africans as “kaffir" in his early writings
  • The campaign carries the slogan `Gandhi Must Fall' and `Gandhi For Come Down'
NEW DELHI: Three months after President Pranab Mukherjee gifted a statue of Mahatma Gandhi to the University of Ghana, a group of professors and students have started a petition to bring it down.
The opposition centres around their belief that Gandhi was "inherently racist" for his depiction of native black Africans as "kaffir" (considered a racial slur in Africa) in his early writings, when he was fighting for the rights of Indians in South Africa.
According to reports, some members of the university, led by a former director of the Institute of African Studies, Professor Akosua Adomako Ampofo, have started a campaign to get the institution to pull down the statue, which was unveiled during a visit by President Pranab Mukheriee in June.
The campaign carries the slogan `Gandhi Must Fall' and `Gandhi For Come Down' (pidgin for Gandhi Must Come Down), inspired by the "Rhodes Must Fall" campaign against a statue of Cecil Rhodes at Oxford University.
The statue was installed at the recreational quadrangle of the university's Legon campus in Accra.
Apart from a campus agitation, a petition to the university authorities on change.org has already attracted 872 sig in a bit of a quandary. The site was chosen by the Ghana foreign office when the President went for a visit in June. While there are some voices preaching moderation, the ministry of external affairs is also waiting to see whether the campaign gathers steam.
One of Gandhi's writings that have been cited in the petition reads thus: "A general belief seems to prevail in the Colony that the Indians are little better, if at all, than savages or the Natives of Africa. Even the children are taught to believe in that manner, with the result that the Indian is being dragged down to the position of a raw Kaffir." (Dec 19, 1894) A second, more damaging (Sept. 26, 1896) one reads: "Ours is one continual struggle against a degradation sought to be inflicted upon us by the Europeans, who desire to degrade us to the level of the raw Kaffir whose occupation is hunting, and whose sole ambition is to collect a certain number of cattle to buy a wife with and, then, pass his life in indolence and nakedness." (The petitioners have sourced the quotes from Gandhi and South African Blacks http:www.gandhiserve.orgecwmgcwmg.htm ) Putting an international spin to their petition, they listed a number of colleges and universities around the world seeking to remove the overt symbols of racism.

aditya10r

Mera Bharat mahan
Country flag

OrangeFlorian

Anon Supreme
Many fools in India still believe that Gandhi's Charkha earned us our freedom. This belief is an insult on the memories of our real freedom fighters.
Those people are a bunch cucks and I bet they haven't even heard the name savarkar

angeldude13

Lestat De Lioncourt
Country flag
Their country,their rules and their university.Who are we to interfere in Ghana's internal affairs?
If they don't like the statue they should return it to India in one peace.

Indx TechStyle

Kitty mod
Mod
Country flag
Gandhi was actually racist and you shouldn't be surprised
yeh aukaad hai gandhi hone ki ... bhukmare or bhikmange tak izzat utar dete hai bhai....

napunsak bana rahi hai gandhigiri humey
Issue is not of Gandhi.
And just like you guys, I'm too not a fan of Gandhi either.
But he was our countryman and his statue in Ghana was representing us.

Insulting his statue will mean insulting Indians.
Their country,their rules and their university.Who are we to interfere in Ghana's internal affairs?
If they don't like the statue they should return it to India in one peace.
Who is Ghana to take millions of dollars in aid and sometimes billions in debt in Pan e African network?.
Who are Ghanaians to study on concessions in our country, taking the employments at lower costs making Indians themselves jobless and sending remittances to Ghana?

Navnit Kundu

Pika Hu Akbarrr!!
I'm not a big fan of Gandhi, he was an artificially manufactured hero (just like Harvey Dent), and those Indians who knew the truth let the lie to perpetuate because somehow it helped the image of India to associate ourselves with some messiah of peace. The fable was created by the British to save their own face. Their narrative was "we were decent colonizers, Gandhi was a decent man, he asked us to leave decently so we left decently". This helps them cover up the brutal occupation of India and the revolution and other bloodshed. This was a long term plan on their part to make sure Indian history is written in a way which shows the British as someone who left out of decency. In exchange, it allowed Congress to make it look like we were decent people who never killed a single British officer during our freedom struggle, thereby Congress grabbed center stage in India and marginalized the real freedom 'fighters'. This is why they magnified the caricature of Gandhi and cultivated him, instead of antagonizing him. So we are stuck with this 'sweet lie' as opposed to the bitter truth that we won our freedom because Britain was stretched thin during the world war and that Azad Hind Sena delivered the final death blow to the British throne in India.

A vast majority of people in any country are not politically and historically aware, so if something of this sort happens with fragrance of intellectual sophistry, there is always some mastermind pulling the strings behind the scenes. This is not a spontaneous students reaction. Did they magically come to that conclusion after so many years that the statue was there? I don't want to get into the facts of whether he was a racist or not. He was a human being with human nuances/biases and he is being evaluated by other human beings with their own nuances/biases so there is no objective way to judge him. This is being done purely to provoke an Indian response. It's a continuation of the 'attacks on blacks' doctrine happening in India. Someone is unhappy with the growing Indian influence in Africa, so they are trying to provoke a situation where they pay some miscreants in India to beat Africans in India and then they pay Africans in Africa to stage counter-protests and create turmoil in Indo-African relations.

This is most likely US, rather than China. Because even though we are competing with China in Africa, we are playing a constructive game because both of us are growing, but at the expense of USA, which is why Africa is such a sticking point for them. They are stone cold realpolitik guys. They didn't allow even France to grow their influence in Africa. When they saw that France is projecting too much power into mainland Africa, the rednecks started insurgencies in various African nations, especially to restrict the growth of France in the Sahel Region. It was akin to drawing an artificial straight line to prevent France from going any further into Africa.

Anyway, I can assure you. Now the US will hire lumpen elements in India to start beating up Africans in response to this 'anti-Gandhi event' and then CNN/BBC will give 24/7 live coverage to the whole issue. The stage is set, grab some popcorn. Either that, or Doval might lose his patience over the constant American provocation from all fronts, and a (totally unrelated) bomb might go off in Afghanistan killing a lot of American soldiers, in which case, the popcorn can still be put to good use.

Last edited:

Tshering22

Sikkimese Saber
Country flag
@pmaitra @Tshering22 @HariPrasad-1 @Navnit Kundu @Bornubus
I hope that they return our economic aid as well which we donate annually to run their fragile countries.

Deport the Africans living, studying and working here in India back to their land and see the reaction.:biggrin2:
Why?

Why do we have to gift GANDHI's statue to Africans? Mind you, I have a Gandhi statue bang in the middle of my city's main market and it annoys me to the core.

What has Gandhi done for us? Nothing. He means squat although the odler generation has been convinced that his greatness won India the freedom. He did nothing. He was a British puppet from the way he is artificially raised to the stature of a hero.

Think about it logically:

Why did Gandhi and Nehru get the time, freedom and liberty in jail to write books, poetries and so called motivational scripts while Bhagat Singh was hanged, Surya Sen was tortured to death, Savarkar was tortured, Lajpat Rai was beaten etc etc?

Because Congress was a British colonial implant.

It was always an implant and needed an imaginary hero to make sure that people choose them over the Mahasabha or what has today become Sangh Parivar.

Gandhi was the Kejriwal of that time; no real substance but implanted for ulterior political agenda.

As a Sikkimese, I have no attachment to a fake icon who sold half of the country's land to people who adopted foreign religion.

Because of Congress propaganda, we don't have the statue of our own icons here.

Let me make this clear:

Gandhi IS NOT India.

India is greater than this fake icon.

And personally, I don't understand that why a heroic leader like Narendra Modi ji has to always sing his praises.

Gandhi statue was the biggest idiocy that Pranab Mukherjee could do.

Isn't that a stupid waste of money?

Isn't it better if we made them a science laboratory in their university and funded their education?

Look at Chinese gifts; have you ever seen them gift Mao's statues?

THIS is exactly why no one takes us Indians seriously.

We don't know how to conduct foreign strategy.

Last edited:

Bornubus

Chodi Bhakt & BJPig Hunter
Who cares about Gandhi Dude.

Tshering22

Sikkimese Saber
Country flag
Issue is not of Gandhi.

That's what Congress' legacy wants Indians to think.

Do you know that Gandhi was a part of British Army in its ruthless campaigns in South Africa?

He has as much blood in his hands as his colonial masters do.

Africans have every right to hate the puppet.

I am proud to be an Indian. As a Buddhist, India is a holy land to me and I will stand by her forever. And no political lap puppy of invaders is representative of my country.

I thank Ghanians to tear down that rotten statue.

Thank you my African brothers.

aditya10r

Mera Bharat mahan
Country flag
Many fools in India still believe that Gandhi's Charkha earned us our freedom. This belief is an insult on the memories of our real freedom fighters.
He was made a hero he wasn't a hero.
He was hypocrite racist eunuch

angeldude13

Lestat De Lioncourt
Country flag
Issue is not of Gandhi.

Who is Ghana to take millions of dollars in aid and sometimes billions in debt in Pan e African network?.
Who are Ghanaians to study on concessions in our country, taking the employments at lower costs making Indians themselves jobless and sending remittances to Ghana?
You do know you are talking like briturds?
Who are these dirty hindu curries to buy Rafalaes when we are pouring millions of euros in their country?
Why are these hindus sending mission to mars when we can't send one?
Why these hindus not use our money to eradicate poverty?
Let's respect their opinion.
Vaise bhi ukhad kya lenge hum log? Ninda turtles will do ninda and our army will advice our PM against military action on ghana.

SANITY

Soon the name of M.K.Gandhi will disappear from Indian history.

By the way, can someone tell name of a few leader who was actually nationalist and patriotic not some discriminatory, racist, castist etc. in era befor freedom and partition?

Was Patel a patriot, perhaps Bhagat Singh, maybe Azad was, if no one else, its definitely the Sanghi-Bedhangi who were truest nationalist. They knew that all the leaders are fake, thus they never participated in any freedom movement. Yep, they are the pride of nation and exactly what nation must become. Truest nationalist, guardians of Indian civilisation.

Last edited:

Latest Replies

Global Defence

New threads

Articles