Germans Incapable of Enjoying Life

Oracle

Beer ? with pain ? I would add vodka, Beer is a alcohol but more or less like a coke..

Do you drink with friends ? do you enjoy the moments ? then imagine doing it where its a fest with hot chicks around..
X2

Enjoying the moment is more important. Numbing the pain, drinking alone - alcohol does not help.Continous boozing is slow death, but it sure is suicide.

kickok1975

It's hard for Germans to enjoy life when their money was wasted, spended by fellow Europeans.

Son of Govinda

Germany isn't like the typical western countries where you're expected to put on a friendly face even in bad times. Germans won't hesitate to express anger or misery, you're expected to just deal with it.

And when it comes to German beer: Hefeweizen :drool:

Bangalorean

Ambassador
Country flag
A few years back, I had gone with some of my colleagues to watch Euro Cup Final in a beer garden with LCD screens in Germany. There were so many young kids there, around 17-18 years, chilling out and having the time of their lives. We Indians looked back at what we were doing, and how much fun we had when we were 17-18 years old. All of us were cooped up studying for board exams at that time, and most of us wouldn't get permission from our parents even to go out to play cricket in 12th standard, let alone go and have beer in some picnic!! As for girls, during that phase of life, I don't think they would even be allowed to cross the road alone by the paranoid parents, for fear of an accident or something, which would prevent them from writing board exams!

I know that things have changed today, and teenage years in India are much better today than in my time, but still, I have a feeling that the young German enjoys himself more than the young Indian.

civfanatic

Retired
Ambassador
Having a disciplined and well-organized life is more important than having "fun".

Kunal Biswas

Member of the Year 2011
Ambassador
Having a disciplined and well-organized life is more important than having "fun".
What is the definition of having disciplined and Organised life ?

IMA & NDA are very disciplined institutes but that doesn't mean they give less importance to 'fun'

Without fun once brain is junk..

I am sure you meant 'balanced'..

W.G.Ewald

Defence Professionals/ DFI member of 2
Professional

Seek moderation in all things.
with respect to acting in the face of danger,
courage is a mean between
the excess of rashness and the deficiency of cowardice;

with respect to the enjoyment of pleasures,
temperance is a mean between
the excess of intemperance and the deficiency of insensibility;

with respect to spending money,
generosity is a mean between
the excess of wastefulness and the deficiency of stinginess;

with respect to relations with strangers,
being friendly is a mean between
the excess of being ingratiating and the deficiency of being surly;

and

with respect to self-esteem,
magnanimity is a mean between
the excess of vanity and the deficiency of pusillanimity.

- Aristotle

Last edited:

civfanatic

Retired
Ambassador
It is important to learn discipline and work-ethic in one's teenage years, because these things carry on for the rest of your life. The stress and rigours that the Indian schoolchild goes through in his/her final years is far greater than what the typical schoolchild in the West goes through, and as a result, when Indians move to the West we are able to truly shine in the higher education and work environment. Having lived in the U.S. for several years, I know many Americans who had the "time of their lives" in their teenage years and view college as a mere extension of that lifestyle. From my personal experiences I can tell you that there are many people who go to college (in the West at least) simply to party and "have a good time". And then they wonder why their jobs get outsourced.

The people who invest time and effort and exercise discipline in their teenage and college years are the ones who can enjoy life later on. Not the other way around.

Bangalorean

Ambassador
Country flag
It is important to learn discipline and work-ethic in one's teenage years, because these things carry on for the rest of your life. The stress and rigours that the Indian schoolchild goes through in his/her final years is far greater than what the typical schoolchild in the West goes through, and as a result, when Indians move to the West we are able to truly shine in the higher education and work environment. Having lived in the U.S. for several years, I know many Americans who had the "time of their lives" in their teenage years and view college as a mere extension of that lifestyle. From my personal experiences I can tell you that there are many people who go to college (in the West at least) simply to party and "have a good time". And then they wonder why their jobs get outsourced.
I agree with you to some extent, but the outsourcing comment is unfair.

Outsourcing happens because of cost differential, that's the truth. :sad:

Oracle

/\/\/\ Bang, I differ. Outsourcing is not only about cost, but about finding skills too. US MNCs billing rates does not vary between heaven and earth, be it India or US.

panduranghari

It is probably true, Germans like the Japanese are known for discipline at work and not much else.

@Kunal, if Drinking beer is the only approval of being happy then that is no happiness at all, it is only numbing of pain.

But German beer is simply awesome. Erdinger is superb, schofferhoffer (sp?) is good too. All non German beers are shit.

Germans. are serious kind but once you get to know them they are wonderful and witty. Straightforward too.

Son of Govinda

But German beer is simply awesome. Erdinger is superb, schofferhoffer (sp?) is good too. All non German beers are shit.

Germans. are serious kind but once you get to know them they are wonderful and witty. Straightforward too.
Oh man, Erdinger is second rate, you haven't tried a true Hefe-Weizen or Doppelbock until you've tried Paulaner :drool:

bengalraider

DFI Technocrat
Ambassador
Country flag
I don't believe there is any one definition of fun, i've met everyone from elements whose idea of pleasure was dancing with bargirls in a mumbai dancebar to ISCKON devotees who found bliss in serving the lord. PLeasure or fun is a very human and very personal concept, true that due to societal and cultural obligations and upbringing we often derive pleasure and have fun from things that our culture dictates are fun worthy, for an icelander the idea of a great weekend could mean camping in sub zero temperatures on a glacier perced on the side of an erupting active volcano while the glow of lava glows warms the night, for a japanese it might mean a night of hard drinking followed by a saunaat the local bathhouse for a punjabi it might mean dancing the bhangra at a friend's wedding for a bengali it might mean a night of complete political adda at the local tea stall even. the germans know ho w to have fun only we with our sensibilities do not understand it.

Global Defence

New threads

Articles