German Army reported problems with G36 rifle

Kunal Biswas

Member of the Year 2011
Ambassador

The G36 has been in service with the German Army (Bundeswehr) since 1997. While the G36 wasn't the first rifle adopted by a major military that made extensive use of polymers, it was certainly one of the more popular designs. It has been used by at least 30 different countries in some capacity making it a successful design on the military small arms market.

Despite HK's sterling reputation for quality the rifle isn't universally loved. Now a German newspaper is reporting that the German Army is aware of an interesting problem. Once the rifle heats up with use, the accuracy degrades so much that it's ineffective past 200 meters.

An internal document intended for the Secretary of Defense stated that once the rifle gets hot enemy targets past 200 meters can not be safely engaged. The document states that the problem represents a significant deficiency in the G36's design. The military is recommending that troops allow their rifles to cool in firefights to help deal with the problem. They warn that if troops aren't careful, the G36 can completely fail. The Armed Forces Association, a German soldiers' interest group, is urging a speedy resolution to this problem.

What I find interesting is that this problem is just now coming to light. Has the German Army covered up this problem? I can't imagine that it's taken over a decade of fighting in the Middle East before this problem to come to light.

Source : Military Arms Channel Blog: German Army reporting problems with G36 rifle

====================
====================

And some people complaining about INSAS heating issues..

cobra commando

Tharki regiment
Country flag
Well it might look "fancy" but if it dosen't function properly then what's the point in looking all "tacticool" and stuff, good for nothing ! :truestory:

Hari Sud

Country flag
People have been saying problems with INSAS rifle. Here we see Germans are having problems, not with cold but with heat.

Indian Army - stick with INSAS. Do not read those glossy brochures.

Kunal Biswas

Member of the Year 2011
Ambassador
Germany Halts Army Rifle Orders Over Accuracy Fears

BERLIN — Germany's defense ministry has temporarily halted new orders of its military's standard assault rifle while it probes complaints the weapon doesn't shoot straight, a news report said Sunday.
German troops in Afghanistan in recent years voiced concerns over the G36 automatic rifle made by Heckler & Koch, saying it became inaccurate when its barrel heated up in prolonged firefights.
"It is important to avoid that the defense ministry invests up to €34 million ($46 million) in a rifle that may not meet the requirements of the troops," the court was quoted as saying by the newspaper.
The new investigation into the accuracy of the rifle involves Germany's federal criminal police, ammunition makers and ballistics experts at a scientific institute, the report said.
Source : Report: Germany Halts Army Rifle Orders Over Accuracy Fears | Defense News | defensenews.com

Ray

The Chairman
Professional
Nothing is perfect.

I like the INSAS, but then others like the international arms manufacturers glossies.

apple

This story strikes me a media beat up.

It's basic physics. The more rounds a rifle fires, the more the metal in the barrel expands and the less effect the barrel's rifling has, which results in less accuracy.

Whether the G36 is particularly bad in this regard I have no idea... The G36 is built of quite a lot of plastic, which may be a problem.

But, the "problems" the article describes applies to all firearms.

Damian

First thing is that article is written by idiot... well 99% of journalists are idiots.

Other things is that yeah, problems with G36 heating is known fo a long time already.

The thing most of you don't understand is, that it is not mostly the problem with rifle itself. This is just convienient reason for German politicians to further cut military spending... this is a lesson for other, what happens with your country, when you let pacifists, lefties and greens to rule in your country. ;)

abhi_the _gr8_maratha

Country flag
Only damian is super clever!.... Others are idiot!
it have problem of firearm and its not problem of rifle. Hahaha!

Last edited:

Damian

Yeah, right...

My misantrophia rises again, oh why, some people are just incapable to use their brains... and read with understanding simple text?

Damian

Germany should replace it with H&K 416 or 417.
They could, however I fear they consider it too expensive (besides purchasing new rifles you need to change training aids, purchase spare parts, preaty much build new logistical system from 0).

SilentKiller

Country flag
First thing is that article is written by idiot... well 99% of journalists are idiots.

Other things is that yeah, problems with G36 heating is known fo a long time already.

The thing most of you don't understand is, that it is not mostly the problem with rifle itself. This is just convienient reason for German politicians to further cut military spending... this is a lesson for other, what happens with your country, when you let pacifists, lefties and greens to rule in your country. ;)
frankly this time i do agree with u on some points, but what if this time the German soldiers are correct or this news is correct?
don't know if we trust western solders comments or western media's comments.
most of the time many here are first to believe and quote their comments but many a times our DFI friends find our media or defense personal comments as ridiculous depending on which side of discussion they are on.
Every new product is known to have problems, only on working more on them their main problems can be solved. but u have to support them
All it matters is your view and how much support you can give to your new products, time of local made product is in as compared to exported as around the world many nations are getting financially concerned about military expenditure.
European nations today are really concerned with what and where they spend. moreover public opinion too is such a way, take example of swiss deal for fighter planes where a referendum is deciding the military goods etc. So u cannot blame a specific group particularly politicians as they change their color based on opinion of public.

W.G.Ewald

Defence Professionals/ DFI member of 2
Professional
Just based on something I read recently, I wonder if ammo cases might be coated with a lacquer that will deteriorate when the weapon gets hot.

The military is recommending that troops allow their rifles to cool in firefights to help deal with the problem.
i recommend they use the bayonet in the meantime. :)

Damian

frankly this time i do agree with u on some points, but what if this time the German soldiers are correct or this news is correct?
don't know if we trust western solders comments or western media's comments.
most of the time many here are first to believe and quote their comments but many a times our DFI friends find our media or defense personal comments as ridiculous depending on which side of discussion they are on.
Every new product is known to have problems, only on working more on them their main problems can be solved. but u have to support them
All it matters is your view and how much support you can give to your new products, time of local made product is in as compared to exported as around the world many nations are getting financially concerned about military expenditure.
European nations today are really concerned with what and where they spend. moreover public opinion too is such a way, take example of swiss deal for fighter planes where a referendum is deciding the military goods etc. So u cannot blame a specific group particularly politicians as they change their color based on opinion of public.
As I said, problem with G36 heating up are known fro at least a decade, if not for a longer period of time. Germans started to have serious problems wit G36 in Afghanistan.

I am rather surprised that H&K never solved that problem permamently, perhaps they focused more on 416 and 417 than old G36.

As for concerns with budget and costs... you know what, if Germany will not rethink their politics, in nearest future they might actually end without any arms industry. ;)

SilentKiller

Country flag
As I said, problem with G36 heating up are known fro at least a decade, if not for a longer period of time. Germans started to have serious problems wit G36 in Afghanistan.

I am rather surprised that H&K never solved that problem permamently, perhaps they focused more on 416 and 417 than old G36.

As for concerns with budget and costs... you know what, if Germany will not rethink their politics, in nearest future they might actually end without any arms industry. ;)
well germany is different from other European nations in its economic policies, they r 2nd best to France in there defence policy in europe.
True but i believe now a days mainly in west europe public opinion matters and governs a lot.

methos

Country flag
There are no real problems with the G36's construction. The problems are a result of the (wrong) usage of the rifle in Afghanistan.

The G36 never was designed for long-lasting engagements without firing breaks. To be more specific, when the G36 was being designed, there also was a special version with heavier barrel for longer firefights - this one however was never purchased.

Due to the much different combat conditions in Afghanistans, (German) soldiers often engage targets at long ranges wasting lots of ammunition (this has been in the news already years before the heat problems of the G36). Iirc. the amount of ammunition used in Afghanistan exceeded the normal combat load of a soldier on average.

The 5.56 x 45 mm ammunition can engage targets effectively at ranges above 500 - 600 m distance, but not as accurately and not with a few, well-aimed bursts.

pmaitra

There are no real problems with the G36's construction. The problems are a result of the (wrong) usage of the rifle in Afghanistan.

The G36 never was designed for long-lasting engagements without firing breaks. To be more specific, when the G36 was being designed, there also was a special version with heavier barrel for longer firefights - this one however was never purchased.

Due to the much different combat conditions in Afghanistans, (German) soldiers often engage targets at long ranges wasting lots of ammunition (this has been in the news already years before the heat problems of the G36). Iirc. the amount of ammunition used in Afghanistan exceeded the normal combat load of a soldier on average.

The 5.56 x 45 mm ammunition can engage targets effectively at ranges above 500 - 600 m distance, but not as accurately and not with a few, well-aimed bursts.
Of course, with lots of shots fired, by law of probability, at least one will hit the target.

Why this hullabaloo about G36? They could have simply taken FN-FALs and AKMs with them to Afghanistan.

Latest Replies

Global Defence

New threads

Articles