Genetic study traces modern gypsy bloodline to India

Discussion in 'Politics & Society' started by LETHALFORCE, Dec 1, 2012.

1. LETHALFORCE

LETHALFORCE Moderator Moderator

Business Line : Features News : Study traces modern gypsy bloodline to India

HYDERABAD, NOV. 30:
    What do the Roma, the gypsy people of modern Europe, and the Dalits of north-western India have in common? You will be surprised to know, that they share a common ancestry.

The origin and migration of the Roma Gypsy as well as their lineage have been subjects of curiosity for anthropologists. There is no archaeological evidence of the early Romanis and historical documentation of these populations is scarce.

Genetic studies done by an international team of scientists led by Kumarasamy Thangaraj of the Hyderabad-based Centre for Cellular and Molecular Biology has thrown some light on the subject. The study concluded that the aboriginal scheduled caste and scheduled tribe population of north-western India, traditionally referred to as Doma and also Dalits, are the most likely ancestral population of the modern European Roma.

The conclusion was made after screening of about 10,000 males around the world, including 7,000 from 205 ethnic population of India, to discern a precise ancestral source of the European Romani population. Based on the genetic signatures existing on the Y chromosome, every male could be assigned to a specific group (haplogroup), hence the paternal lineage can be traced, using these signatures.

In human populations, the Y chromosome is passed on from father to son. Therefore, all the males of a family or a population evolved from a single founder male will possess the same Y chromosome. The study, by matching the haplogroups of the Roma and the India tribes, found similarity and contiguity that led to the conclusion that the Domas or dalits are the ancestral population, explained Thangaraj.

Another significant conclusion was that the early Romanis migrated from India to Europe around 1,405 years ago.

The findings establish similarities between Roma and Doma ethnicities, and lay to rest the theory of inhabitants from Indo-Gangetic plain and Punjab being the ancestors of the Roma Gypsies, said George van Driem, a linguist from the University of Berne, Switzerland, in the study published in PLoS, a open source journal.

Ch. Mohan Rao, Director, CCMB, said the study provides DNA-based evidence that support the idea that north-western part of India might be the original place for Roma populations. Similar studies from the lab have provided information about the population structure of India, African origin of Siddi populations, etc.

Sridhar likes this.
  3. Decklander

Decklander New Member

This is nothing new. It is well recorded in our history that these people were thrown out of india and than they travelled to egypt. from there they crossed over to europe and so came to be known as egypties in europe which over a period of time got distorted to gypsy.

4. Victor Sierra

Victor Sierra Regular Member

I just found my foot-prints traces to my garden.

W.G.Ewald likes this.
  5. roma

roma NRI in Europe Senior Member

all the above genetic linkages have nothing to do with my name which is simply of indian origin i can assure you ( nothing to do with gipsys )- evidence - look at :-

Google

Roma Khanna Named President of MGM's Television Group and ...
    http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/......khanna-named-p... - United States
    7 Jun 2011 – She previously worked at NBCUniversal as president of Universal Networks International & Digital Initiatives.

there's also another coincidental roma khanna who was a reporter ( pretty and good ) in the cnn-ibn network but i couldnt seem to trace her via the search machines

India profiles | LinkedIn
    in.linkedin.com/pub/dir/Roma/Khanna
    View the profiles of professionals on LinkedIn named Roma Khanna located in the India. There are 5 professionals named Roma Khanna in the India, who use ...

i have seen many gipsys from a few feet's distgance and they dont really look indian - they look more like a mixture of kurd and north-african ... more like the caucasus people eg armenian and some are blonde and slavic looking eg tartar - DEFINITELY not indian

i think it's a slur by the british as they were losing grip on india !

Patriot likes this.
  6. Decklander

Decklander New Member

They migrated out of India way back in 100BC. naturally they will have looks of all those civilizations thru which they travelled to reach Europe.
    But They are Indian by stock. Their metacondrial DNA which does not change at all, has proven it earlier also.

ganesh177 likes this.
  7. LETHALFORCE

8. LETHALFORCE

9. IBSA

IBSA Regular Member

Interesting study, because I think Gypsies were from Egypt, for 'Gypsy' term is derived from 'Egyptian'

10. desicanuk

desicanuk Regular Member

Thats because Europeans believed that the Roma arrived in Europe from Egypt - perhaps because of their swarthy complexion.Most likely the Roma arrived via Turkey into Eastern Europe and then spread out into the rest of Europe.There is no debate about their Indian origin.Roma's language Romany has a lot in common with North Indian languages.One common belief is that they are descendants of the Vanjaras or Banjaras.In the photographs I have seen of East European Romas ,they look very Indian or Indic.

11. IBSA

IBSA Regular Member

There are several Gypsies on East Europe, mainly on Romania.

But there are a group of Gypsies that inhabits Iberic Peninsula, and that group has arrived in Europe not through Turkey, but coming by North Africa, and on this case, passing by Egypt.

12. Godless-Kafir

Godless-Kafir DFI Buddha Senior Member

Gypsies are despised in Europe, the same gypsy blood line are in India and they still beg and cheat. I never thought even such a bad culture is so hard to get over in all this while.

13. Decklander

Decklander New Member

These people were thrown out of India for their non conforming rules of society and they have not changed even today. One of my Romanian friend told me that these Gypsies in romania control the begging and prostitution mafia there.

14. IBSA

IBSA Regular Member

The Gypsies' flag remembers me a bit the Indian national flag, mainly the Chakra wheel on the center

[​IMG] [​IMG]

15. VatsaOfBhrigus

VatsaOfBhrigus Tihar Jail Banned

They are decendants of hindu exodus to west. I memory serves there was some story that they met some eastern roman empire and did some "magic" and drove away some invading barbarians (huns or someone of that sort).... the king of eastern roman empire was dumbfounded by their magical prowess ... and some shit like that...

Oh btw why are you so 19th century in your theories ? Iran is aryan, roma are egyptian hahaha! Go read, lot of new things have been proven since 19th century....

16. Virendra

Virendra Moderator Moderator

It is a vicious circle.
    The society finds them odd, wild and isolates them.
    This in turn makes them more eccentric and "gypsy" to say; which further makes people pinch their nose at the sight.

17. roma

i see ( at a distance ) gypsies almost everyday passing thorugh one of the "main squares" where all and sundry sell their goods on the main roads sometimes asking customer like myself to pay for a coffee - and i often contribute to them when they are in the metro - really im convinced the dimension of similarity between them and the middle class of india ( and above ) is the same as the amout of similarity between say a japanese and an african - both are human , if we go in to the inside it's identical - if we look at the genetics haplogroups and all that - eventually we all had some common beginning - the moral of the story is that if we are willing to go far back enough then you can connect and relate ANY two groups of people ! INdian = law abiding ....,gyp ...you gotta be kidding ! the ONLY similarity is that both look kinda brownish - and THAT'S ALL

in reality , take it from me - they posses and express ABSOLUTELY NONE of the characteristic s of indian culture - especially regarding knowledge and learning - our most precious characteristic they DO NOT SHARE - then what similarity can there be - other thatn what i have explained above which can apply to ANY two groups of people ??

as for the rifdiculous ( nothing personal here ) comparing of flags - one wheel ( the indian one ) refers to work, self-reliance and industry - the other refers to roaming around and the world is their oyster (?) not having to be stuck in one place - and that is a characteristic of the tartar tribes - when they insult one another among tribes the greatest curse is to tell theother " you will be stuck in one place " ----totally at odds with indian culture of domestication and society -building

in that same logic - why not compare the bangladesh flag with the japanese flag :japan::bangladesh:( similar except for colours used - as in the comparison of inidian flag with the other ) - and then claim similarity of ethnicities between bangladeshi and japanese ?? :taunt1:

NO the romani ehtnicity in PRACTICAL REALITY is MUCH MUCH closer to a mixture of kurdish , bedouin and SOUTHERN slavic eg tartar crimean - that is the most acccurate - in physical reality - i see it almost every day !!

Last edited: Dec 12, 2012
    parijataka and Virendra like this.
  18. LETHALFORCE

19. W.G.Ewald

W.G.Ewald Defence Professionals/ DFI member of 2 Defence Professionals

I don't know why I think that is so funny. I laugh every time I think about it.

20. roma

in the interests of acuracy , ...would they also please compare the genetics of european gypsies with that of armenians, azeris and kurds and please announce the results of that study as well ? a one-sided study without the comaparison is not even a half-done job and it's integrity would be a deplorable sham by most academic standards ....

they claim that "A study led by Dr Kumarasamy Thangaraj of CCMB has found evidence - no exclusivity has been inferred ... so how much was the india contribution is alo not stated - half-job IMHO .unoless of course the objectives were different

and btw the "STUDY" was done by none other than the "world famous" Centre for Cellular and Molecular Biology (CCMB) in Hyderabad, .....:...do they not know that most english gypsies for example openly state their origin as being from the caucasus region :- georgia, armenia azerbaijan and the kurdish regions .... uni of hyderabad ?? :shakehead:

Last edited: Dec 13, 2012
  21. W.G.Ewald

W.G.Ewald Defence Professionals/ DFI member of 2 Defence Professionals

Rajasthan turns out to be the ancestral land of Euro gypsies.

I read this account some years ago of an event in Spain.

A British tourist had her purse stolen by gypsies. Two Guardia Civil went to the gypsy camp to confront the thieves and had their throats cut. Some time later a truckload of Guardia Civil showed up with a machine gun, roped off the camp, and shot every single person in it to death.