Genetic Origins of Pakistan by Razib Khan

Singh

Phat Cat
Super Mod
Country flag
Pakistanis are just like Indians (not that there's anything wrong with it)

In the comments below a strange conversation grew out of the politicized nature of Pakistani identity, and its relationship to India the nation-state, and India the civilization. I assume that a typical reader, or more accurately commenter, on this weblog would be sanguine if they found out they were 10% chimpanzee. After all, it's what's between your ears that really matters, not who your ancestors were. I do understand that some readers have strong genealogical-nationalist interests in human population genetics, and that's fine so long as you don't presume that the rest of us share such priorities (this is a problem for some commenters, so please be aware that I get annoyed when you project this way, though it's obviously not a banning offense).

But readers who come via search engines are a different case, and that's why I've started to get worried about over-reading of PCA and such. Nevertheless, I do think PCA can answer the question of whether there is any real genetic discontinuity between Pakistanis and Indians. The answer is no. Page 19 of Reich et al. supplement 1 includes in the HGDP Pakistani populations in their plot of genetic variation of Indian groups. I've added some labels, but the top-line is rather clear. AP = Andhara Pradesh, UP = Uttar Pradesh, GUJ = Gujarat and RAJ = Rajasthan. I assume Ind. and Pak. abbreviations are self-evident.

Obviously it isn't strictly true that Pakistanis are just like Indians. But, Pakistanis are pretty much exactly where you'd expect from their position in relation to India. There is only a small component of recent Persian or Central Asian ancestry, as evident by the relative closeness of Muslim Pakistanis with Hindu groups, who would presumably lack this component. The point of this post isn't to vindicate or refute a particular political position, it's to reinforce what's been pretty clear from genetics over the past generation.

Pakistanis are just like Indians (not that there's anything wrong with it) - Gene Expression | DiscoverMagazine.com

farhan_9909

Tihar Jail
Banned
I can post such hundred of links.but i would want to discuss this topic with detail and neutral observation(not like in the other threads)

my task is proving that indians and pakistani are different.almost 60-70% of pakistani are different than indians

NOTE:I will not consider Punjabi as indian people/race since they are now in majority in Pakistan
(30millions in india while almost 90millions in pakistan)

but tomorrow

bennedose

my task is proving that indians and pakistani are different.almost 60-70% of pakistani are different than indians
Your task is to bring pure Islam to that country of illiterate beggars which is called Pakistan. India is India. Pakistan is Pakhana. No one is really interested in the similarities between your and your cousin spouses, but many are fascinated by how much Pakistanis worry that they are considered Indians even by your masters the Saudis. You don't like that and I can empathize with that. Even illiterate starving half wits can have feelings

Dovah

Untermensch
Country flag
I will be following this thread. I really want to see what 'proof' Farhaan provides for his claims rather than the usual 'I don't consider', 'One word', 'Ancient Pakistan' and 'Everyone knows'

Actually I want to see what constitutes credible proof for him

drkrn

I can post such hundred of links.but i would want to discuss this topic with detail and neutral observation(not like in the other threads)

NOTE:I will not consider Punjabi as indian people/race since they are now in majority in Pakistan

but tomorrow
9 crore punjabis in pakistan...hmmm
sounds like a good way of another division

Decklander

but tomorrow
Bro, Pls understand that at the time of partition, Pak punjab had the largest indian migrant population as Punjab was the closest border with Pakistan from north India. Your 90m Punjabies are a mix of a lot of Indian ethnic muslims and not true Punjabies as such. But the Punjabies who came over to india settled in Indian Punjab are all Punjabies.

Decklander

I somehow tend to agree with @farhaan_9909 that Pakies are a different breed. I have my reasons as no matter whatever dirt you add to the genes of Indians, we will never be able to become such morons/idiots. Our genes are much stronger and far superior to theirs. Calling them to be like us Indians is actually shaming ourselves. From now on I wud request all members to say that Pakistanies are from arab/CIS. Let us maintain our superiority over these slaves.

Blackwater

@ farhaan for you my bro

My name is Pakistan and I'm not an Arab

n 1973, my paternal grandparents visited Makkah to perform the first of their two Hajj pilgrimages.

With them were two of my grandmother's sisters and their respective husbands.

Upon reaching Jeddah, they hailed a taxi from the airport and headed for their designated hotel.

The driver of the taxi was a Sudanese man. As my grandparents and one of my grandmother's sisters settled themselves in the taxi, the driver leisurely began driving towards the hotel and on the way inserted a cassette of Arabic songs into the car's Japanese cassette-player.

My grandfather who was seated in the front seat beside the driver noticed that the man kept glancing at the rear view mirror, and every time he did that, one of his eyebrows would rise.

Curious, my grandfather turned his head to see exactly what was it about the women seated in the back seat that the taxi driver found so amusing.

This was what he discovered: As my grandmother was trying to take a quick nap, her sister too had her eyes closed, but her head was gently swinging from left to right to the beat of the music and she kept whispering (as if in quiet spiritual ecstasy) the Arabic expression Subhanallah, subhanallah "¦'

My grandfather knew enough Arabic to realise that the song to which my grandmother's sister was swinging and praising the Almighty for was about an (Egyptian) Romeo who was lamenting his past as a heart-breaking flirt.

After giving a sideways glance to the driver to make sure he didn't understand Punjabi, my grandfather politely asked my grandmother's sister: 'I didn't know you were so much into music.'

'Allah be praised, brother,' she replied. 'Isn't it wonderful?'

The chatter woke my grandmother up: 'What is so wonderful?' She asked. 'This,' said her sister, pointing at one of the stereo speakers behind her. 'So peaceful and spiritual "¦'

My grandfather let off a sudden burst of an albeit shy and muffled laughter. 'Sister,' he said, 'the singer is not singing holy verses. He is singing about his romantic past.'

My grandmother started to laugh as well. Her sister's spiritual smile was at once replaced by an utterly confused look: 'What "¦?'

'Sister,' my grandfather explained, 'Arabs don't go around chanting spiritual and holy verses. Do you think they quote a verse from the holy book when, for example, they go to a fruit shop to buy fruit or want toothpaste?'

I'm sure my grandmother's sister got the point. Not everything Arabic is holy.

Even though I was only a small child then I clearly remember my grandfather relating the episode with great relish. Though he was an extremely conservative and religious man and twice performed the Hajj, he refused to sport a beard, and wasn't much of a fan of the Arabs (especially the monarchical kind).

He was proud of the fact that he was born in a small town in north Punjab that before 1947 was part of India.

In the early 1980s when Saudi money and influence truly began to take hold on the culture and politics of Pakistan, there were many families (especially from the Punjab) that actually began to rewrite their histories.

For example, families and clans that had emerged from within the South Asian region began to claim that their ancestors actually came from Arabia.

Something like this happened within the Paracha clan as well. In 1982 a book (authored by one of my grandfather's many cousins) claimed that the Paracha clan originally appeared in Yemen and was converted to Islam during the time of the Holy Prophet (Pbuh).

The truth, however, was that like a majority of Pakistanis, Parachas too were once either Hindus or Buddhists who were converted to Islam by Sufi saints between the 11th and 15th centuries.

When the cousin gifted his book to my grandfather, he rubbished the claim and told him that he might attract Saudi Riyals with the book but zero historical credibility.

But historical accuracy and credibility does not pan well in an insecure country like Pakistan whose state and people, even after six decades of existence, are yet to clearly define exactly what constitutes their nationalistic and cultural identity.

After the complete fall of the Mughal Empire in the 19th century till about the late 1960s, Pakistanis (post-1947), attempted to separate themselves from other religious communities of the region by identifying with those Persian cultural aspects that had reigned supreme in Muslim royal courts in India, especially during the Mughal era.

However, after the 1971 East Pakistan debacle, the state with the help of conservative historians and ulema made a conscious effort to divorce Pakistan's history from its Hindu and Persian past and enact a project to bond this history with a largely mythical and superficial link with Arabia.

The project began to evolve at a much more rapid pace from the 1980s onwards. The streaming in of the 'Petro Dollars' from oil-rich monarchies and the Pakistanis' increasing interaction with their Arab employers in these countries, turned Pakistan's historical identity on its head.

In other words, instead of investing intellectual resources to develop a nationalism that was grounded and rooted in the more historically accurate sociology and politics of the Muslims of the region, a reactive attempt was made to dislodge one form of 'cultural imperialism' and import by adopting another.

For example, attempts were made to dislodge 'Hindu and Western cultural influences' in the Pakistani society by adopting Arabic cultural hegemony that came as a pre-requisite and condition with the Arabian Petro Dollar.

The point is, instead of assimilating the finer points of the diverse religious and ethnic cultures that our history is made of and synthesise them to form a more convincing and grounded nationalism and cultural identity, we have decided to reject our diverse and pluralistic past and instead adopt cultural dimensions of a people who, ironically, still consider non-Arabs like Pakistanis as second-class Muslims.

My name is Pakistan and I'm not an Arab - DAWN.COM

Ray

The Chairman
Professional

but tomorrow
I totally agree with you.

Camels are your near bred.

pmaitra

Principal Component Analysis is one of the most widely used classification algorithms for high-D data.

This has to be a solid ground.

farhan_9909

Tihar Jail
Banned
I somehow tend to agree with @farhaan_9909 that Pakies are a different breed. I have my reasons as no matter whatever dirt you add to the genes of Indians, we will never be able to become such morons/idiots. Our genes are much stronger and far superior to theirs. Calling them to be like us Indians is actually shaming ourselves. From now on I wud request all members to say that Pakistanies are from arab/CIS. Let us maintain our superiority over these slaves.
My friends has repeatedly told me even if indian reaches upto moon or they are confirmed to be the descendent of Quresh or bani israel still dont associate themselves with indians.it is just the name india/indians which sound weird

Imagine if someone call me Indian...Yukhhhhh..give me feeling of eating cockroach
yukhiiii

he also told me when a indian asked him what would you prefer to be called indian or Pig?
he told me he smiled and said PIG

Singh

Phat Cat
Super Mod
Country flag
There is many a slip betwixt cup and lip — Ishtiaq Ahmed

To the great credit of the founders of modern India, they did not base its legal and constitutional systems on the Manusmriti. Therefore their democratic experiment truly fascinates me. The caste system is crumbling under the combined impact of industrialisation, urbanisation and democratisation. If the experiment proceeds successfully it will represent the biggest social revolution in South Asia in the last 3,000 years

Last week, I made a general projection that if the Indian and Pakistani political establishments and power elites continue with friendly overtures and confidence building measures then the hostility between our two states can come to an end in the years ahead and they can start functioning as normal, good neighbours with a mutual stake in each other's well-being and welfare.

But isn't all this just a chimera? Wouldn't we soon be witnessing the opposite when another round of zero-sum games over the Siachen glacier and water sharing and Kashmir follows? What is particularly promising about the present situation? After all the two ruling classes have played footsie in the past. Just when the liaison was about to be made public they got cold feet and started accusing each other of being a fickle paramour instead.

I am tempted to suggest that the Americans will exercise their influence on both sides so that they fall into line with the overall geopolitical interests of the only omnipresent superpower in the world. However, such an argument should not be taken too far because I believe both sides can evade compliance with US strategic thinking and planning under one pretext or another. Ultimately the will to build peace must come from within the two establishments.

I saw recently on an Indian channel, Zee TV, that the price of land and real estate on the Indian side at the Attari border has soared. Some years ago Pakistani brigadiers and generals were said to have bought land on the Wagah side. The result has been a dramatic increase in prices on Pakistani side too. The rumour is that this represents an effort to keep the peace dividend literally in the pockets of those who previously drew capital out of war.

So, I suppose we who have always believed that peace is good and will benefit even the ordinary people have a reason to be upbeat despite being aware of the hurdles along the way. These will have to be crossed before the peace of the ruling classes becomes a positive gain for the ordinary people.

Having said this, I must admit that there is no doubt in my mind that apart from the ruling classes and their interests there are ideological forces on both sides which would do everything to keep the two countries at loggerheads. Let me share with you some of my experiences of such people.

Every week, without fail, I receive emails from fictitious Hindus called Bisvas and Yadav (and some other similar names) — surnames of ordinary Hindu castes who really would have little or nothing against Muslims and Islam — reminding me that my ancestors betrayed Hinduism when they converted to Islam; that we are quislings of foreign invaders.

Mr Reginald Massey who is familiar with the way the Hindu Right operates is of the opinion that it is probably some Muslim-hating upper caste individual feigning an ordinary identity to indicate that all sections of Hindus hate Muslims. The bottom line is that the idea of India-Pakistan peace is a non-starter because there can be no peace between rational Hindus and emotional Muslims!

I also receive nasty emails from self-righteous Muslim fundamentalists who call me a Hindu lover and/or an Indian agent. They remind me that Islam came to India to wipe out idolatry and my ancestors must have converted to Islam because it was the better religion and social order.

When it comes to explaining why my ancestors might have converted to Islam, I think the latter explanation is more convincing. Even a cursory look into the Manusmriti (which the Hindu apologists would like us to believe was never applied all over India) tells me that I am better off as a Muslim than if I were as a Hindu because Jats, Arains, Gujjars and other agriculturists enjoy a better status under Islam and Sikhism than under orthodox Brahminism.

Additionally, the Arain group, to which I belong, claims Arab extraction. The strongest argument in favour of this claim is that Arains are always Muslims and almost entirely Sunnis as were the early Arabs who came with Muhammad bin Qasim. On the other hand, agricultural castes of Jats, Gujjars and Rajputs are divided into Muslims, Hindus and Sikhs. It is worth mentioning however that some early Arain accounts claim a Surajbansi Rajput origin and some trace their origin to Persia. The Arab-origin claim can be simply a re-orientation towards a (perceived) greater status as conquerors and "original" Muslims. Unfortunately, Arabs view all Pakistanis as dirt — our real and imaginary claims of kinship with them notwithstanding.

Personally I believe that like the other farming castes of the Punjab and Haryana the Arains are a mix of many ethnies and races. Most are small- and middle-level farmers although there are also some real big landlords around Lahore, Faisalabad and Sahiwal. I can hardly imagine them wanting a return to the Hindu caste order.

To the great credit of the founders of modern India, they did not base its legal and constitutional systems on the Manusmriti. Therefore their democratic experiment truly fascinates me. Professor Satish Saberwal and Professor Dipankar Gupta, good friends of mine, tell me that the caste system is crumbling under the combined impact of industrialisation, urbanisation and democratisation.

If the experiment proceeds successfully it will represent the biggest social revolution in South Asia in the last 3,000 years.

Will the Hindu Right not put up great resistance to it just as it does to friendship with Pakistan? I think it will with all the brute force at its disposal. Currently, the Muslim Right deploys violence to oppose a modern, pluralist democracy in Pakistan. Fortunately the narrow, intolerant and morbid worldviews of both the Hindu Right and the Muslim Right do not represent the vast majority of people on both sides.

Most emails that I receive from India and Pakistan — from Hindus, Muslims, Sikhs, Christians and others — are of the positive type and include all castes (most prominently modern-educated Brahmins) and biradaris. Therefore the hope is that a new South Asia — democratic, pluralist and egalitarian — will materialise. But many subversive plots will be hatched against it before that happens. We should be ready to thwart them.

Daily Times - Leading News Resource of Pakistan

Decklander

My friends has repeatedly told me even if indian reaches upto moon or they are confirmed to be the descendent of Quresh or bani israel still dont associate themselves with indians.it is just the name india/indians which sound weird

Imagine if someone call me Indian...Yukhhhhh..give me feeling of eating cockroach
yukhiiii

he also told me when a indian asked him what would you prefer to be called indian or Pig?
he told me he smiled and said PIG
Do you have cockroaches in Pakistan? Khanay ko ghass bhi nahin rahi. Lashon ko rape kartay ho aur phir ussay bhi kha jaatay ho. Yeh hai tumhaari aukaat.

farhan_9909

Tihar Jail
Banned
Do you have cockroaches in Pakistan? Khanay ko ghass bhi nahin rahi. Lashon ko rape kartay ho aur phir ussay bhi kha jaatay ho. Yeh hai tumhaari aukaat.
Sir ji all this happens in india.just google about cases of necrophila in india.

Hamari Aukaat jaanne k liye you would have to declare yourself non indian and would have to go under 3 weird processes.than only you can know the aukaat of pakistanis

if your interested in knowing those 3 weird processes than leave a reply

farhan_9909

Tihar Jail
Banned
Posting about the Pakistani punjabis at the moment.

this certainly prove that Pakistani punjabi are a distinguish race and were never under indians

LEADING TRIBES OF PUNJAB AND THEIR ORIGINS

Before the advent of Islam, but after the Aryan migrations, several invasions and mass migrations of the Central Asian tribes named as the Sakas, Parthians, Kushans, Huns and Gujjars took place in the Punjab (and other parts of Pakistan). The last two tribes i.e. the Huns (White Huns/ Epthalites) and Gujjars arrived in the 5th century AD when Hinduism had revived under the Gupta Empire but had not fully succeeded in crushing the influence of Buddhism. As the Gupta Empire collapsed under the impact of Hun invasions, it caused deep consternation among Brahmins in view of their failure to eliminate Buddhism while the Gupta power supporting them in this task had disappeared. Therefore, they began to make overtures to the new arrivals who were valiant, vigorous and warlike. They were offered the rank of Kshatryas in the Hindu fold, a position only next to that of the Brahmins and confers the responsiblity of rulership.

As regards Gujjars, the well known scholar Cunningham thinks that they are descended from Scythian (Saka) and Yue-Chi (Kushan) tribes who invaded Pakistan in the first century BC and in the first century AD respectively. Other scholars believe that they are descended from a Central Asian Turkic people called Kazars. Since the tribe migrated from Caspian Sea which is called Bahr-e-Khizar it was named Khizar, Guzar, Gurjar, Gurjara or Gujjar. The name Hazara was given to the district by these Guzara tribes. The name Gujjar, according to another version, is derived from the words 'Gau' and 'Char' meaning cattle grazers.

unjab has had its periods of prosperity and poverty in a regular cycle. Before the arrival of Muslims, Punjab along with the other regions/provinces of present day Pakistan was leading a separate existance from that of India, and kingdoms based in its territories or in the NWFP often ruled over most of northern India. Kushan, Saka, Bactrian and Hun Kingdoms with their capitals at Peshawar, Taxila and Sialkot respectively, ruled over large parts of northern India for centuries.

Leading Tribes of Punjab and their Origins

farhan_9909

Tihar Jail
Banned
Origin of pashtuns

Again not from india

Pashtuns

Between South Asia, Central Asia and the Iranian plateau of Sijistan lies a triangular shaped territory studded by bare and barren mountains covering an area of approximately 250,000 sq. miles. Starting from Dir in the north, this triangle runs along the Indus, takes a westward turn a few miles south of Dera Ismail Khan, and embracing within its fold Loralai, Sharigh, Degari, Harnai, Quetta, Pishin, Chaman and Qandahar extends up to Herat. From here it curves north-east and following the foothills of Hindu Kush comes back to Dir. This region includes the major portion of NWFP, a part of Quetta Division of Baluchistan and three-fourths of Afghanistan. In this triangular-shaped, hilly country divided between Afghanistan and Pakistan lives the world's largest group of tribesmen numbering over 30 million variously called Afghans, Pathans, Pashtuns or Pakhtuns.

Let us first discuss the origin of the names Pathan and Afghan. The term Pakhtun or Pashtun, according to Raverty, is derived from the Persian word 'Pusht' meaning 'back'. Since the tribes lived on the back of the mountains, Persians called them Pashtun which is also pronounced Pakhtun. Some scholars think that the word Pashtun or Pakhtun comes from the old Iranian words parsava parsa meaning robust men, knights. In Indian Ianguages it was spelt as Pakhtana or Pathan. Herodotus and several other Greek and Roman historians have mentioned a people called 'Paktye' living on the eastern frontier of Iran. By the word Paktye they meant the people of the frontier. (According to the Encyclopaedia of Islam the word Pathan is from the Sanskrit word Pratisthana). Muslim historians from Al-Biruni onward called them Afghans, never using the word Pathan which expression was extensively employed by the Hindus. "No Afghan or speaker of Pashtu ever referred to himself as a Pathan and the word is an Indian usage." (The Pathans, by Sir Olaf Caroe)

CLAIMS ABOUT ORIGIN

The triangle between the Indus, Hindu Kush and the Sijistan plateau of Iran is populated by an assorted group of tribesmen some of them living in plains and valleys and others in mountains interspersed over the entire length and breadth of this triangle. As already stated this is the largest conglomeration of tribal people in the world.

We shall begin with the accounts of their origin as given by later Muslim historians. According to Niamatulla's Makhzan-i-Afghani and Hamdulla Mustaufi's Tarikh-i-Guzida: one of Prophet Ibrahim's descendents, Talut (or Saul) had two sons, one of whom was named Irmiya or Jeremia. Irmiya had a son named Afghan, who is supposed to have given the name to the Afghan people. Tareekh-e-Sher Shahi states that Bakht Nasr who invaded Jerusalem and destroyed it, expelled Jewish tribes, including sons of Afghan, from their homeland. During the days of the Babylonian captivity when the Jews were scattered, one of the tribes settled in the Hari Rud area of modern (south) Afghanistan. Pathan legend states that they accepted Islam during the time of the Prophet when a group of their kinsmen (Jews) living in Arabia sent word to them that the true Prophet of God as prophesied in their scriptures had appeared in Mecca. The Afghans, the story goes, sent a delegation to Arabia headed by one Imraul Qais who met the Prophet, embraced Islam, came back and converted the entire tribe to the new religion. The Prophet was so pleased with Qais that he gave him the name of Abdur Rashid, called him Malik (king) and Pehtan (keel or rudder of a ship) for showing his people the path of Islam.

The story proceeds: Qais Alias Abdur Rashid Alias Pehtan had three sons named Sarban, Batan and Ghurghust. Most of the present-day Pathan tribes claim descent from these three persons. Batan had a daughter named Bibi Matto. She fell in love with Hussain Shah, a prince of Turkish origin, and their intimacy reached a stage where her pregnancy could not be concealed. Marriage was the only course open, but the offspring, a boy, was given the name of Ghilzai, meaning in the Afghan language a son 'born of theft'. Bibi Matto's next son was Ibrahim who, because of his intelligence and wisdom, was addressed by Qais as Loi-dey (Lodi) i. e., Ibrahim is great. Two of Loi-dey's grandsons were Pranki and Ismail. BahIul Lodhi, the founder of the Afghan empire of Delhi, was eight generations from Pranki and was a member of the Sahukhel tribe of Lodhis. The Suris and Nuhanis are descended from Ismail's two sons Sur and Nuh. Thus the Ghilzais (Khiljis), Lodhis, Suris, Nuhanis, and their branches, the Sarwanis and Niazis are common descendants of Bibi Matto from her Turkish husband Hussain Shah.

The major tribes of Afghans named above, it must have been noted, should be of Turkish origin as they are descended from the Turkish prince Hussain Shah who married the Afghan girl Matto, daughter of Batan and grand-daughter of Qais Abdur Rashid. Thus, according to their own accounts there would be two groups of Afghans, one of Jewish (Semitic) origin and the other of Turkish origin.

There is a third group of Afghans called Hazaras living in the Hazarajat areas of Afghanistan. They are said to be descended from the remnants of the Mongol armies which had come along with Changez Khan or during later Mongol inroads. The origin of the Hazara Afghans, as such, is Mongol.

Regarding the large number of tribes living on both sides of Pak-Afghan border such as Shinwaris, Mohmands, Mahsuds, Khattaks, Afridis, Orakzais, Achakzais, Bannuchis, Waziris, Bangash, Yusufzais, etc., some trace their origin to Aryans, others to Greeks who had come with Alexander, some to the Jews and still others to the Caucasians. "The Kalnari tribes of today: the Waziris, Bannuchis, Khattaks, Bangash, Orakzais, Afridis and the rest are sprung from an indigenous stock not Pushtu-speaking and became fused with or overlaid by Pushtu and Pushtu-speaking peoples learning in the process the language of the dominant race. The Kalnaris are not Afghans in the true line and may be much older established." (The Pathans, by Sir Olaf Caroe)

"The original Afghans are a race of probably Jewish or Arab extraction; and they together with a tribe of Indian origin with which they have long been blended still distinguish themselves as the true Afghans, or since the rise of Ahmad Shah Durrani as Durranis, and class all non-Durrani Pushto speakers as Opra. But they have lately given their name to Afghanistan, the country formerly known as Khorasan.

"All inhabitants of Afghanistan are now in comon parlance known as Afghans, the races thus included being the Afghan proper, the Pathan proper, the Gilzai, the Tajik and the Hazara, besides tribes of less importance living in the confines of the country". (The Punjab Castes, by Denzil Ibbetson)

Of late, scholars in Afghanistan are seriously absorbed in research to prove that Afghans are neither of Jewish, nor Turkish nor Mongol nor Greek origin but of pure Aryan stock. They are taking pains to demonstrate original home of Aryans was Afghanistan by pointing out the similarity in the names of several places in their country with those mentioned in the Rig Veda.

Thus, the different tribes of Afghans/Pathans have different claims, racially as divergent as the Semitics and the Aryans, Greeks and the Turks, Mongols and the Caucasians. However, leaving aside the claims, there is another aspect of this issue which has great substance, weight and research behind it. This aspect is the conclusions arrived at recently by the Western scholars after a careful study of the historical and cultural developments of the region and its people. Based on the intormation obtained from latest excavations and the data collected in a specific manner, modern scholars have expressed certain views on the origin of the Afghans/Pathans which cannot be brushed aside lightly or treated flippantly. They aver that the origin of the Afghan/Pathan is something different. Let us briefly study their views.

Global Defence

New threads

Articles