GDP of States & Union Territories for FY2012

Daredevil

On Vacation!
Super Mod
Wow, Bihar is the most backward state going by per capita income.

Yusuf

GUARDIAN
Super Mod
Country flag
We discussed this in the WB thread where I said, its the strong set up that existed in WB that makes it still tick even when so many industries left the state. If it had the right govt, it would have rivaled Maharashtra.

Known_Unknown

Devil's Advocate
Maharashtra has historically had consistently better leadership than in the rest of the country, yet I don't see anyone pitching Maharashtra's CM to be the future PM, but a mediocre performer like Modi continues to get support, especially from the very vocal (though numerically irrelevant :taunt:) right-wing.

What doesn't make sense to me though is that is if all the states grew on average 10% or higher for FY2012, how come India's GDP growth was less than 7%? :noidea:

bose

Country flag
Just see the first column and compare the share of agri in the GDP ...

anoop_mig25

Country flag
Maharashtra has historically had consistently better leadership than in the rest of the country, yet I don't see anyone pitching Maharashtra's CM to be the future PM, but a mediocre performer like Modi continues to get support, especially from the very vocal (though numerically irrelevant :taunt:) right-wing.

What doesn't make sense to me though is that is if all the states grew on average 10% or higher for FY2012, how come India's GDP growth was less than 7%? :noidea:
simple because Maharashtian never tried really hard for projecting some-one to become PM .Most of time congrees ruled maharsahtra and in congress apart of gandhis no one become PM without blessing of parwair .
Sharad pawar tried but was backstabbed by then CM of maharsahtra and Narishma Rao become PM of India.

If any other party had ruled Maharashtra for more then 3 continuous years then his/her chances of becoming PM of India was bright.

Other reason is CM of maharashtra can earn more then becoming PM of India (if u know what i mean) .

Durning United front rule Jyto Basu of left had chance to become PM but then his chances were scuttled by his own party CPI(M) citting they donot have numbers (how stupid of them) they thought in future election s they would have numbers and then form their own gov but then they are still waiting for it

Last edited:

Yusuf

GUARDIAN
Super Mod
Country flag

Something is wrong with those figures as Bihar grew at 24%, Maha at 16% etc. may be its in terms of rupees that the growth was this much but because of the dramatic decline of the rupee, the growth in dollar terms declined.

tramp

In terms of rate of growth, Gujarat with 15.33% is not among the top ten. The list is led by Arunachal Pradesh at 27.53% and Bihar at 24.4%, with Jammu % Kashmir at 15.80% at tenth.

Even among the top ten states in terms of percentage share of contribution to national GDP, Gujarat's growth rate is only fifth. The first four being Rajasthan, Madhya Pradesh, Kerala, and Maharashtra.

LordOfTheUnderworlds

Country flag
-GDP of Maharashtra is more than GDP of whole Pakistan (thanks to Mumbai)
-Half the states still have per capita income less than that of Pakistan.
-North Korea's per capita income is more than India!
Delhi has agriculture sector of size 2739 crore ???

Last edited:

Yusuf

GUARDIAN
Super Mod
Country flag
-GDP of Maharashtra is more than GDP of whole Pakistan (thanks to Mumbai)
-Half the states still have per capita income less than that of Pakistan.
-North Korea's per capita income is more than India!
You many want to revisit your assumptions here.

I protest the comparison with NoKo and Pak. Indian economy much Bette than either. NoKos per capita is $500, India at $2000 approx by nominal and over $3000 by PPP.

Yusuf

GUARDIAN
Super Mod
Country flag
Small population has its advantage. Again, it must be the military industry that is propping up the GDP.
BS. Its a $12billion economy. Its economy is not as big as Bangalore's software exports. For God's sake stop comparing India to losers. Please set better benchmarks for comparison to achieve.

thakur_ritesh

Ambassador
WB's problem is the yoy real growth, which has recorded consistent slide, even a state like UP, under Mayawati, was better performing than WB.

For reference: http://defenceforumindia.com/forum/...rowth-rates-indian-states-10th-11th-plan.html

For a state like WB, once heavily industrialized, a state with excellent sea connectivity, very good rail network, huge human resources to out perform others should have not been a big enough task.

Modi, I think in early days realised the concept, jo dikhta hai, woh bikta hai, he without a shred of doubt positioned himself well. No denying that he has done the job, he has, been better than mediocre, but yes, slightly over hyped, but then, the Hindu right needed someone who gets seen as successful and be their poster boy, and so emerged Modi.

At least for me, more than the bigger, sea bordering states, the real success stories are Haryana and Chattisgarh, what phenomenal work these 2 have done.

Less than 7% is real growth rate, above are inflation adjusted, poor indicator to see how the states are doing.

EXPERT

UTTAR PRADESH'S per capita income is lowest in the country because of its vast population..

EXPERT

I still not believe UP is at second position, I know because of agriculture ( thanks to our mother GANGES who flows from UTTAR PRADESH):namaste:

Singh

Phat Cat
Super Mod
Country flag
I am pretty certain Delhi and the neighbouring districts like Gurgaon, Faridabad, Noida etc. have a GDP as large as Karnataka's

CrYsIs

Country flag
Gujrat is 6th in Share of India's GDP, WB is 5th.

How come WB is still backward?
backwardness has nothing to do with size of the economy...india has larger economy than sweden,norway and many other european countries but is still a backward country

--North Korea's per capita income is more than India!
GDP per capita based on market exchange is useless....per capita income is seen only in PPP basis....as of 2011 india's per capita income is somewhere around 3600 $ which is higher than north korea...

Small population has its advantage. Again, it must be the military industry that is propping up the GDP.
remember as for north korea there is no reliable estimates.....most economic statistics relating to north Korea is nothing more than guesswork...

Last edited:

arnabmit

Homo Communis Indus
Country flag
A healthy GDP is where Agriculture, Industries and Services, all have approx 33% share, which would also depend on geography and land type.

I thought WB GDP is Agriculture based. However this states WB GDP is
Agriculture = 24%
Industries = 18%
Services = 58%

With the current trend of exodus of IT orgs from WB, it seems that GDP is stated to fall unless Industries grow. Agriculture also seems to have scope of development.

Latest Replies

Global Defence

New threads

Articles