Ganzhou-My Home City

amoy

again never has been tiering criteria agreed upon, by size or by population or even by nominal GDP. people also often refer to Tianjin and Chongqing as tier-1 in addition to what BG mentioned.

Back to administration there're municipalities under direct rule of Central Government, including Beijing, Shanghai, Tianjin and Chongqing. If by that standard they're 'undoubtedly' tier-1, so-called. However, there're Shenzhen, Guangzhou which're unparallelled in terms of population, size and GDP and even location (Shenzhen in proximity of Hongkong). Psychologically many refer to them as t-1 too :happy_8:

Again I bring up 'administrative level' as MY criterion for 'tiering'. So Ganzhou in my eyes is a tier-3 (regardless of size, population or GDP) - but correct me if wrong. and Lhasa, is a tier-2 as a provincial captial.

I know my tiering is still controversial, but believe at least I provide some consistency :happy_2:

Last edited:

badguy2000

Respected Member
again never has been tiering criteria agreed upon, by size or by population or even by nominal GDP. people also often refer to Tianjin and Chongqing as tier-1 in addition to what BG mentioned.

Back to administration there're municipalities under direct rule of Central Government, including Beijing, Shanghai, Tianjin and Chongqing. If by that standard they're 'undoubtedly' tier-1, so-called. However, there're Shenzhen, Guangzhou which're unparallelled in terms of population, size and GDP and even location (Shenzhen in proximity of Hongkong). Psychologically many refer to them as t-1 too :happy_8:

Again I bring up 'administrative level' as MY criterion for 'tiering'. So Ganzhou in my eyes is a tier-3 (regardless of size, population or GDP) - but correct me if wrong. and Lhasa, is a tier-2 as a provincial captial.

I know my tiering is still controversial, but believe at least I provide some consistency :happy_2:
Ray
What are the criteria for classification for this tier system.

What makes a city Tier #! and what makes another city #4?

That is what I want to know.

Is it population or is it infrastructure or is law and order or is it something else?

What differentiates a city from another to be classified so?
well,

I don't agree with ohimalaya.

Instead of "administrative level", the per capital GDP ,infrastructure and the total GDP of the city should be the most important criteria to classsify tiers.

Beijing,Shanghai,Guangzhou and Shenzhen all have a GDP of over or nearly 1 trillion RMB. they are all mega cities.their per capital nominal GDP also surpass 10K USD. so , they are Tier 1 citiy.

Many of Tier2 cities also has a per capital nominal GDP of over 10K USD.but their total GDP is is usually 0.2-1 trillion RMB. however, if measured by per capital nominal GDP,some of tier2 cities are richer than tier 1 cities,such as Wenzhou,Ningbo and Dongguan. Most of Tier 2 cities are also mega cities.

Most of tier 3 cities are mid-size cities . Their population is usually 0.3-1M . Their per capital nominal GDP is obviously less than tier1 and tier 2 cities.

Tier 4 cities,well, usually means countytowns.

Shredder

Country flag
^ Do you have any laws against public littering/polluting the streets etc.? And how harsh is the fine/punishment?

nimo_cn

Country flag
Why do the Jiangxi-hukou students have to get much higher scores for admission to universities than average in China?
Well, this is a very complicated question, since no one is answering this, then i will give it a try. Before I answer the question, i want to point out it is vey unfair that students in undeveloped regions have to work much harder to get into prestigious universities. The main cause of this unfairness is the HuKou System.

In China, if high school students want to get enrolled in to colleges, they need to participate in a National College Etrance Examination (NCEE) ( or better known as "GaoKao"高考). The National College Entrance Examination is not uniform across the country, but administered uniformly within each province of China or direct-controlled municipality instead. After the examination, students will apply for the colleges according to their results of the examination.

Then colleges will screen the applicants and determine if he or she is qualified. In most cases, the examination is still essentially the only criteria for college admissions. But every college accepts different amounts of students in different provinces. It is like a ration, college A can recruit 200 students in JiangXi province and 400 students in FuJian Province as it wishes, and the screen is done accordingly. Then the unfairness happens.

Every college tends to recruit more students from the region it is located in, therefore students from provinces where there are more students or less prestigious universities have to work harder to get into colleges because the lack of education resources within the region has hiked the criteria. That is what is being called "Regional Discrimination" in China.

To illustrate this, I think it is a good idea to give an example.
Peking University, one of the most prestigious universities, is located in Beijing(direct-controlled municipality). It recruited 256 students in Beijing in 2010 while there were only 80241 students taking part in the NCEE,which was in sharp contrast with the 81 students it recruited in Shandong province whereas there were 660,000 students participating in the NCEE.

Last edited:

Iamanidiot

Nimo_cn
in a sense you are telling me there is reservation in China but based on regional economic conditions unlike in india where is soci-economic and a different kettle of fish altogether

nimo_cn

Country flag
Nimo_cn
in a sense you are telling me there is reservation in China but based on regional economic conditions unlike in india where is soci-economic and a different kettle of fish altogether
It is not based on regional economic conditions, every university tends to recruit less students from other regions, regardless of the economic conditions. Students in developed regions can go to colleges easier simply because it is common that prestigious universities are concentrated in developed regions like Beijing, Shanghai, Guangdong province, Zhejiang Province, etc.

To sum up, students in regions where education resources are rich have more opportunities of entering better universities whereas students in regions where education resources are poor have less opportunities.

Since education resources within a region is closely related with the economic conditions, it is safe to say students in developed regions have more opportunities of entering better universities whereas students in undeveloped regions have less opportunities.

Last edited:

Iamanidiot

It is not based on regional economic conditions, every university tends to recruit less students from other regions, regardless of the economic conditions. Therefore students in developed regions can go to colleges easier because it is common that prestigious universities are concentrated in developed regions like Beijing, Shanghai, Guangdong province, Zhejiang Province, etc.
That is bound to happen when the central government asked my state government to take other students into its medical collages it caused a big ruckus.The state government said that the preference would be for its own students first..But positive regional discrimination is a good thing

Regarding education do you have private institutes at the grad and post-grad level? or there are only government institutions.Do you have any idea of the quality of your medical collage faculty and Computer science faculty in China?
Right now the best are going to the industry in India

But there is reservation in some form

nimo_cn

Country flag
That is bound to happen when the central government asked my state government to take other students into its medical collages it caused a big ruckus.The state government said that the preference would be for its own students first..But positive regional discrimination is a good thing
Something that should be noted is, most good universities are established and funded by central government of China, not by the local government of the region where they are situated.

Take Peking University for example, most of its fund comes from central government, not the local government of Beijing, which means every Chinese in China has paid money for that university, hence every Chinese student should be given the same opportunity when competing for it. But the reality is not, students in Beijing can be admitted into Peking university by a much lower criterial than students in Shandong province.

The regional unfairness is outrageous and infuriating. The recruit of students by colleges should be only based on the ability of the students, not based on where he or she is from. Students from places like Beijing and Shanghai enjoy too much advantages over students who are from regions like Shandong province, Sichuan province, and Henan province (these 3 provinces have the most participants of NCEE).

Regarding education do you have private institutes at the grad and post-grad level? or there are only government institutions.
I am not sure about private institutes at the grad level. But as far as i know, there is no private institutes at the post-grad level.

Most colleges in China are funded by government, whether by central government or by local governments, or by both.

Do you have any idea of the quality of your medical collage faculty and Computer science faculty in China?
Right now the best are going to the industry in India

But there is reservation in some form
Well, those are two tricky questions, because there are no criterials.

I believe computer faculty in China lags behind developed countries more than medical faculty does.

Last edited:

badguy2000

Respected Member
well,
Had I been born in Beijing, I would have been admited to Tsinghua University with the scores in a National College Etrance Examination (NCEE)..........

Latest Replies

Global Defence

New threads

Articles