Ganzhou-My Home City

badguy2000

Respected Member
Ganzhou city is the capital of Ganzhou prefecture, Jiangxi Province.

Ganzhou prefecture is a quite undeveloped one in China and its per capital GDP (2009) is still less than 1500 USD,only 1/3 of CHina's average GDP(3500USD).

However, Ganzhou city, the capital of the prefecture, is still a very beautiful city.

here is the location of Ganzhou city on maps.

Tshering22

Sikkimese Saber
Country flag
That's really beautiful considering that you said it is not so developed. I must appreciate your country's policy on public cleanliness and neatness of infrastructure. :emot112:

Ray

The Chairman
Professional
There is no old sector in the city or were they all demolished to built these skyscrapers and modern facilities?

badguy2000

Respected Member
There is no old sector in the city or were they all demolished to built these skyscrapers and modern facilities?
all the skyscrapers and highrises you saw were vegetable fields or outskirt villages 5 years ago. all buildings were built during the past 5 years .

well, the old sections are being demolished and rebuilt according to traditional styles . however ,not everyone welcomes such demolishment and rebuilding. someone even mocks that the rebuilt ones will just be "artificial antiques"

Just as I wrote in my previous post "my New home",the old house of my parents is also in such old sections and to be domolished!

Last edited:

Ray

The Chairman
Professional
all the skyscrapers and highrises you saw were vegetable fields or outskirt villages 5 years ago. all buildings were built during the past 5 years .

well, the old sections are being demolished and rebuilt according to traditional styles . however ,not everyone welcomes such demolishment and rebuilding. someone even mocks that the rebuilt ones will just be "artificial antiques"

Just as I wrote in my previous post "my New home",the old house of my parents is also in such old sections and to be domolished!
I think some of the old house should remain and not rebuilt to become modern old houses. That will ruin the charm and history as has happened with the hutongs of Beijing.

badguy2000

Respected Member
BTW, the bell tower was once in the center of the downtown and on the the primary location
however,not itis very lonely because the downtowns has moved to the new avenue.

badguy2000

Respected Member
To me it seems like a very polluted city like other Chinese cities.
well ,it is just a moist fog,instead of polluted dusts! the city is located in moist south China and such fog has nothing to do with the pollution.

In fact, the city has only a few industry.

However, I have to admit that the air in the city was cleaner not long ago.

Since 2005, cars has become affordable to CHinese commons,so the city streets becomes much more croweded and it is very hard to find one parking postion for cars. the air also become more polluted.

Last edited:

badguy2000

Respected Member
BTW, the urban population of the city was only 0.3 M 10 years ago,but now it is about 0.6M.

According to the urban plan, the urban population of the city is to be over 1M in 2020.

amoy

Is this is a tier 2 city?
that tier classification is not really 'scientific' or official.

Administratively speaking I think it belongs to "tier 3" (correct me if wrong) if Jiangxi's capital is a 'tier-2"

Jiangxi Province as one of few provinces I had a 'full' coverage, frankly is not really well developed, overall speaking. What impressed me most, other than its beautiful places of tourist interest, is keen competition every year in college entrance exam. Jiangxi-hukou students have to get much higher scores for admission to universities than average in China.

Ray

The Chairman
Professional
Could you explain as to what is the parameters that decide the tiers of a city?

Why do the Jiangxi-hukou students have to get much higher scores for admission to universities than average in China?

badguy2000

Respected Member
Could you explain as to what is the parameters that decide the tiers of a city?

Why do the Jiangxi-hukou students have to get much higher scores for admission to universities than average in China?
well, in CHina, there are only 4 tier1 cities acknowledged commonly. they are Beijing,SHanghai, Guangzhou and Shenzhen.

most provincial capitals and some coastal prefecture capitals are looked on as tier 2 cities. there may be about 50-100 tier 2 cities in CHina.

most prefecture capitals and some undeveloped provincial capital such as Lhasa are looked on as tier 3 cities.Besides, many rich county towns in coastal China might be looked on as tier3 cities.

Most county towns and some undeveloped prefecture capitals are looked on as tier 4 cities.

Ganzhou city is a inland prefecture capital,but the prefecture is quite undeveloped in CHina, for its per capital GDP is only 1/3 of Chinese average one. So, I think that Ganzhou should be a tier3 or tier 4 city.

Last edited:

Ray

The Chairman
Professional
What are the criteria for classification for this tier system.

What makes a city Tier #! and what makes another city #4?

That is what I want to know.

Is it population or is it infrastructure or is law and order or is it something else?

What differentiates a city from another to be classified so?

Global Defence

New threads

Articles