Gandhi was obsessed with sex – while preaching celibacy to others

Discussion in 'Politics & Society' started by kseeker, Aug 17, 2014.

1. kseeker

kseeker Retired

Gandhi was obsessed with sex – while preaching celibacy to others: Kusoom Vadgama | Times of India Opinion

A controversy has erupted in Britain over the proposed second statue of Gandhiji in London, this one in Parliament Square. It was announced in July by Britain’s Chancellor of the Exchequer George Osborne and since-removed Foreign Secretary William Hague, ironically, a day after they inked a 250 million GBP arms agreement in New Delhi. Kusoom Vadgama, the doughty 82-year-old historian and former ‘Gandhi worshipper’, tells Bachi Karkaria why she is leading the fight brigade. She recently founded the Indo British Heritage Trust to commemorate the 400th anniversary of the appointment of Sir Thomas Roe as England’s first envoy to the court of Emperor Jehangir and the first documented arrival of Indian in Britain, also in 1614. Its highlight is a debate on August 18 in Britain’s Supreme Court on whether India benefited from British Rule.

You have reportedly opposed the statue because of Gandhi’s ‘debasement of women’ by his experiments with sexual self-control. Why have you come out so strongly now?

Men in position of power take advantage of their status. They have no qualms about abusing minors or women. All his life Gandhi was obsessed with sex –while preaching celibacy to others. No one challenged him. He was the nation’s ‘untouchable’ hero, his iconic status eclipsed all his wrong doings. The protest against yet another statue of his in London, just two miles from the one in Tavistock Square, is a perfect opportunity to speak the truth about this other people’s Mahatma.

What most angers you most about this known truth?

Gandhi never made a secret of sleeping naked with is great-grand daughter and the wife of his great-grand son. It may have been his way of testing his control over his sexual drive, but these women were used as guinea pigs. If he had used other adult women, it would have been nothing more than interesting gossip. But Gandhi chose a teenage blood relation and a great-grand-daughter-in-law for his sexual whims. It is as unforgivable as it is unbelievable. I do not belong to the brigade that admires the Emperor’s new clothes, and have no fear or hesitation in telling the truth about him. Ironically, it was he who instilled in me the mantra of ‘satyameva jayate’.

With his place in global iconograph, will your voice be heeded?

The world has changed. For women, personal freedom and self respect come before the freedom of the country and national leaders, however important or influential. Because of his global ‘iconography’, it is hoped that the truth about Gandhi will also be a universal message.

But Gandhiji did give a great deal of space to women in the freedom struggle. For them it was a personal liberation.

Yes Gandhi mobilized the women of India. One of the reasons for his success was that his political rallies were called prayer meetings. Women attended in thousands not only to listen to him but also to have the ‘darshan’ of the saintly man.

Earlier, you too ‘worshipped Gandhi’.

He was my God in Nairobi, Kenya, where both my parents were deeply involved in India’s freedom movement. In school, I studied the glory and greatness of the British Empire, but spent all my time outside in protest marches and dawn processions, ordering the British out of India. I even shouted ‘Jai Hind’ to the English school teacher, and thought I’d be expelled.

Why have you pitched for a statue of Dadabhai Naoroji instead?

The Indian diaspora needs a role model for all the positive values of Indo-British relations. Dadabhai Naoroji, Britain’s first Indian MP elected in1892, deserves to be in Parliament Square. He was a great supporter of the suffragettes who campaigned for Home Rule for Ireland. He represented the culture and spirit of India in Britain as no other Indian did. He was much loved and respected by Jinnah and Gandhi. He also happened to be the first Indian to represent the first Indian trading company in London in 1855 – and the first professor of Gujarati in London University.

What led to the Indo-British Heritage Trust?

It is important to put the history of India in Britain on the same level as that of the British in India. Arriving in England in 1953, I could find nothing of comparable value. Eventually I wrote a book myself. This and my research into the freedom struggle led to the discovery of my two heroes, Dadabhai and Sir William Wedderburn, who established the British Committee of the Indian National Congress in 1890. My third role model is Cornelia Sorabji; I published 233 edited volumes of her letters in 2011, and a year later, in 2012, donated a bust of hers to the Lincoln’s Inn. The Trust was set up to commemorate the 400th anniversary of Sir Thomas Roe’s arrival in India – and by a happy coincidence that of the first documented Indian to come to England, also in 1614.

DISCLAIMER : Views expressed above are the author's own.

3. Otm Shank

Otm Shank Regular Member

Did she have any contact with gandhi?

She reads like a british fancier

4. parijataka

parijataka Senior Member Senior Member

We may disagree with what Gandhi said or did(such as advising Jews to accept death at the hands of Hitler) but one thing about him was his total adherence to the truth. Which other leader has bared his pesonal life in the manner he did...

5. pkroyal

pkroyal Regular Member

Any allusion to sex is a shocker.

The lady knows the trumps,but forgets that none of the women in question complained.

All of what is in the public domain is confession in a book of a man who caught the imagination of a Nation ( 30 crores plus)

" Mahatama" or " Charlatan" I am sure the Ms Kusum Vadagama's pronouncement will stir little!!

6. Singh

Singh Phat Cat Administrator

Ramblings of a senile mind.

sesha_maruthi27 likes this.
  7. sob

sob Moderator Moderator

sesha_maruthi27 and kseeker like this.
  8. Singh

sesha_maruthi27, kseeker and sob like this.
  9. sob

sob Moderator Moderator

His achievements and his stature have been underplayed for long time now in this country. Indeed he is the Grand Old Man of India.

I had also forgotten about him, but the article by Ramchandra Guha has brought him back.

sesha_maruthi27, kseeker and Singh like this.
  10. Ray

Ray The Chairman Defence Professionals Moderator

It is a personal matter of Gandhi.

Is Kusoom Vadgama feeling left out?

This is my answer to her

and

Powerful South African voodoo spell!

Last edited by a moderator: May 10, 2015
    pkroyal likes this.
  11. Ajesh

Ajesh Regular Member

What a Clown Gandhi was really. Got Married at a very Young Age. Obviously had lots of fun and later experimented quite a lot with sexuality while being surrounded by hordes of women and then preached Self Control to Others.

It is that very hypocrisy that Gandhi inherited to India that we are still suffering from. Self Righteousness, I am Holier than You, Corruption is my Birth Right, This Guy was utter Nonsense.

12. Ray

So did Nehru, Digvijay, ND Tiwari and heaven knows how many of these pious chaps had fun in various degrees of intimacy.

At least, Gandhi was honest about it!

Give him that much of belay.

13. Ajesh

Ajesh Regular Member

Thats a pretty ordinary People You are comparing him with. Nehru and Digvijay. And Ordinary i am being kind on the Forums.

14. Ray

If Nehru was a nonentity in Indian psyche, then Rahul Gandhi would be a zero!

Congress survives on his legacy and his useless progeny who has led them to the doom and gloom and yet are so awed by that name that they cannot build up the courage to jettison them as the floatsam and jetsam that they are. Even a foreign element in that family twists its tail with impunity!

And the Gandhi dynasty?

Where are they?

The other one maybe a bī (屄) as they say in Chinese.

15. Ajesh

Ajesh Regular Member

What Else do You think Rahul Gandhi is apart from being a Zero?

Tell me any worthwhile contribution Congress has given to the Nation

Apart from a Much Delayed Freedom, and dividing people on basis of Religion, Massive Corruption, Vote Bank Politics,Regionalism.

To me Congress is a much diluted version of the British. The British thrived on these very concepts and congress were very much hand in hand with the British. We would have gotten freedom very fast if not for Gandhi and His Policies. And also, Congress staying in the forefront of the Nation very much suited the British. The British Wanted the Congress and they had them. The Brits quit only because India was fast becoming financially unfeasible for them.

16. Ray

Address this to Abhishake Monu Singhvi and Mickey Manish Teewari.

17. fyodor

fyodor Regular Member

who cares about what gandhi ji did with two consenting people..........whatever he did he never hid from anyone....infact he has written about all this himself
    gandhi was an idiot but what we cannot disagree with is that he was extremely honest person.

18. Compersion

Compersion Senior Member Senior Member

He did not have sex with those people. Also he was open about what he did and I am sure many knew about it - was he trying to demonstrate a certain level of control. Would I have done that and sleep naked with others like that nope - but again this was a man who believed in good and was a man of principle - you look at everything he has done and did and try and understand why he did that.

19. Ray

C.F. Andrews cited,

“Hitler with his Brown Shirts, riding for a fall,
    Mussolini with his Black Shirts, back against the wall,
    De Valera with his Green Shirts, caring not at all,
    Three cheers for Mahatma Gandhi, with no shirt at all.”

20. Singh

Why was he an idiot ?

21. fyodor

fyodor Regular Member

He pressurized Indian govt to give aid money to pakistan just after independence.......soon after that pakistan attacked kashmir.
    He supported the khilafat movement which was a precursor of Muslim league.
    Saying that jews should let the nazis kill themselves and not resist, as it will bring inner change in nazis.
    Denouncing Bose and Hind sena.
    Supporting joining of Indians in British army for a foreign war.