Gajraj Corps helps disabled people in Assam, Arunachal

JAYRAM

2 STRIKE CORPS
TNN | May 15, 2012, 05.16AM IST

TEZPUR: Thupten Tsering (19) looked happy and confident as he held the microphone at the 4 corps headquarters with his artificial hands. Thupten thanked the Gajraj Corps, who took the initiative to provide him with artificial hands.

Thupten, from Arunachal Pradesh's Tawang district, was 6 when he lost both his arms in an accident. However, Gajraj Corps' initiative 'Operation Sadbhavna' has helped Thupten and many others get a new life with the free artificial limb treatment. "I like to sketch, but couldn't do so without my hands. Though I have practiced to live without my hands, these artificial hands are definitely going to change my life," said Thupten.

Like him, Salma Yasmin (12), who was suffering with cerebral palsy since birth and could never imagined walking in her life, came walking with a little support. "I wish the army people can change everyone's life like they changed mine. I will become a singer one day and send this message to everyone that we can conquer all odds with love and a helping hand. With these artificial limbs, I will surely walk into success some day," she said.

During the last year, the Gajraj Corps has organized 35 medical camps and reached out to 37,116 people. Their endeavor has been providing medical assistance to the poor and disabled in Assam and Arunachal Pradesh.

"The army stands to help and protect the society and the Gajraj Corps has been successful in doing so. But, we still have a long way to go as there are million others who need our support," said the GOC 4 corps, Lt General Shakti Gurung.

Gajraj Corps helps disabled people in Assam, Arunachal - The Times of India

Latest Replies

Global Defence

New threads

Articles