India US Relations

curryman

Future of any relationship with USA seems to end similarly. Iran under the Shah, Vietnam under Ngo Dinh Diem, Pakistan, the oil royals, S American banana republics, etc. The adage, "with a friend like you, who needs an enemy" fits well for USA.
What does "friends" mean exactly in international relations? There is no such thing.

Most large nations cannot be friends with USA . They will always be competitors . India is at a point where it is not a competitor when
It becomes one the relation may change. This is why USA will always keep Pakistan in its back pocket.
Competitors in what sense? India and US are already economic competitors.

Country flag
What does "friends" mean exactly in international relations? There is no such thing.

Competitors in what sense? India and US are already economic competitors.
A competitor who will back their interest militarily like China or russia

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OrangeFlorian

Anon Supreme
The US has a habit of betraying their allies I think its safe to say we have to get as far away from them as possible

rockey 71

The US has a habit of betraying their allies I think its safe to say we have to get as far away from them as possible

But can you? They entangle a target with so many tentacles and sweet talk. They spend liberally on targeted leaders and offer them various incentives.

DingDong

Country flag
But can you? They entangle a target with so many tentacles and sweet talk. They spend liberally on targeted leaders and offer them various incentives.
India is too big, disorganized and chaotic for the outsiders to play such dirty tricks on us. No "leader" or "group" in India is powerful enough to throw a big enough challenge against the Indian State.

Despite all our shortcomings our national institutions are extremely powerful and enjoy general public support. India's politicians are smart.

If India wants to grow into a big power, we will have start believing in the idea and not act like those puny, tiny, timid countries which smell conspiracy in everything.

ezsasa

Designated Cynic
Mod
Country flag
How have India-US relations changed since 2008...
upload_2016-6-3_22-55-53.png

ezsasa

Designated Cynic
Mod
Country flag
I was just watching the movie "Charlie Wilton's war".

Had a thought that China is the new Russia. South China Sea is new Afghanistan. Philippines , Vietnam and some other countries are new mujahideen. I can't say india is the new Pakistan yet , but likely we are getting there.

Someone please tell me I am wrong!!!!

sorcerer

Country flag
I was just watching the movie "Charlie Wilton's war".

Had a thought that China is the new Russia. South China Sea is new Afghanistan. Philippines , Vietnam and some other countries are new mujahideen. I can't say india is the new Pakistan yet , but likely we are getting there.

Someone please tell me I am wrong!!!!
I wont agree on the India is the NEW pakistan version cuz India has a lot more to offer as a team player than pakistan in all levels for those who associate with India. India can afford to stand strong and isolated . Technology cooperation is more economical and beneficial for the partner than for India. India is in a position to bargain equal status and USA had learned it the hard way many times that rubbing India the wrong way would take it all back to square ONE which will severely hamper their plans for Asia.

pakistan only had its thug military a.k.a Non state actors and terrorists with a corrupt intelligence network and dummy govt which favors their ummah where fanaticism is a holy sales pitch.what else can a failed state of pakistan deliver to anyone partnering with it...Mangoes?

You are kinda right on the rest of it.:D

The more china exerts on its claims to showcase itself as a dominant power in the region is going to bring in many more nations to the seas with their battle ships and individual plans and china only has got a non functional nation which is pakistan to support its fight on the seas. :D

Yumdoot

SANITY

India-US Together 'Foiled Several Terror Plots', Says Top US Official

A senior US official said India and US now have dialogues on counter-terrorism at multiple levels.

WASHINGTON: Partnership between India and the US under the eight years of Obama Administration has been "incredibly successful", a top US official said adding that the two countries have managed to foil several terror plots as a result of counter-terrorism cooperation.

"I can tell you quite definitively that due to our partnerships, several terrorism plots were foiled. Indian lives and American lives were saved because of this partnership," said Peter Lavoy, Senior Director for South Asian Affairs at the National Security Council, White House.

Mr Lahoy said that the two countries now have dialogues on counter-terrorism at multiple levels.

"I think, the partnership with India, in combating terrorism has really been incredibly successful," he said. The White Official said the US remains concerned about al-Qaeda, though the outfit's activities in the Af-Pak region have been significantly disrupted because of continuous efforts.

"We (also) remain concerned about ISIS. This is something that President Obama has talked about in his State of the Union and other addresses on the threat that both of these groups pose to the United States. And we would continue to take steps to counter them. We expect that those policies would continue. This is bipartisan in the vital interest to the United States," he said, adding that cooperation on counter-terrorism issues "diminished the threat" to the two countries and is of incredible importance.

"I would highlight that US-India consultations about terrorist threats not only that are against India or the United States but throughout the region is an important hallmark and feature of our new and expanded counter-terrorism cooperation," Mr Lavoy said.

He also spoke said the US does think that "any regional dialogue between India, Pakistan for including Afghanistan and others to counter terrorism would be desirable".

"Terrorism is a threat to all of us and no country will be safe, unless terrorism is irradiated in every other country, especially in the neighbourhood," Mr Lavoy said.

Mr Lavoy also commented on India's bid to become a member of Nuclear Suppliers Group. The officials expressed hope that New Delhi would be granted membership of the elite group "not before too long" as work is in progress.

"So, are we disappointed that India has not become a member (of NSG) so far? Yes, probably. But we also recognize that the NSG has to work through the procedures and its own other standings on how to consider non-NPT (Non-Proliferation Treaty) membership into the NSG. So, that's not a trivial issue. But we would hope that there India would be granted membership not before too long," he said answering a question on India being unable to become a member of NSG mainly due to the opposition from China.

Kshatriya87

Country flag
PM Modi to visit Washington later this year: 5 things he and US President Donald Trump may discuss

Soon after US President Donald Trump on Monday called up Prime Minister Narendra Modi to congratulate him on the "state-level elections" — Assembly elections held in five states, of which Modi's BJP formed government in four — it emerged that Modi had been invited to a meeting with Trump when he travels to Washington later this year.

This could be good news for India, giving it the opportunity to present before the US certain concerns and business opportunities that could be beneficial for not only both countries but the entire world.

Here are five topics that may come up in their discussions:

H1-B visa: With tighter visa norms being proposed, and the US progressively moving away from letting non-Americans into the country, Modi will have his task cut out on this one: Convince Trump that skilled Indian workers will actually help, and not hinder, his dream to "Make America Great Again."

Attacks on Indians: There have been several attacks on People of Indian Origin (PIOs) in the US in recent months, and almost all of them happened because they were mistaken for people coming from the Middle-East. Modi is expected to urge Trump to take steps to ensure that such attacks and hate crimes are not repeated.

Climate change: India had been party of the Paris climate talks, and had promised to cut down its carbon emission and switch to cleaner sources of energy. However, the efforts can come to nought if the US — the country with the second-largest carbon footprint in the world — does not follow its own commitments. Modi may have a tough time convincing Trump to stick to the US' climate goals.

Counter-terrorism: Trump has time and again talked tough on terrorism, as has Modi. With this as the common ground, the two world leaders may want to team up against terrorism emanating from Pakistan, thereby forcing it to take more definitive steps to curb terror outfits festering within its borders.

US business and investment opportunities in India: This may be a long shot, but Modi can be expected to present a few business and investment opportunities in India, and while Trump is absolutely against "outsiders" getting American jobs, he is also a businessman who might jump at these investment opportunities for the benefit of the US.

Kshatriya87

Country flag
I would like to add 1 more point that I think they will discuss. "China"

ezsasa

Designated Cynic
Mod
Country flag
PM Modi to visit Washington later this year: 5 things he and US President Donald Trump may discuss

Soon after US President Donald Trump on Monday called up Prime Minister Narendra Modi to congratulate him on the "state-level elections" — Assembly elections held in five states, of which Modi's BJP formed government in four — it emerged that Modi had been invited to a meeting with Trump when he travels to Washington later this year.

This could be good news for India, giving it the opportunity to present before the US certain concerns and business opportunities that could be beneficial for not only both countries but the entire world.

Here are five topics that may come up in their discussions:

H1-B visa: With tighter visa norms being proposed, and the US progressively moving away from letting non-Americans into the country, Modi will have his task cut out on this one: Convince Trump that skilled Indian workers will actually help, and not hinder, his dream to "Make America Great Again."

Attacks on Indians: There have been several attacks on People of Indian Origin (PIOs) in the US in recent months, and almost all of them happened because they were mistaken for people coming from the Middle-East. Modi is expected to urge Trump to take steps to ensure that such attacks and hate crimes are not repeated.

Climate change: India had been party of the Paris climate talks, and had promised to cut down its carbon emission and switch to cleaner sources of energy. However, the efforts can come to nought if the US — the country with the second-largest carbon footprint in the world — does not follow its own commitments. Modi may have a tough time convincing Trump to stick to the US' climate goals.

Counter-terrorism: Trump has time and again talked tough on terrorism, as has Modi. With this as the common ground, the two world leaders may want to team up against terrorism emanating from Pakistan, thereby forcing it to take more definitive steps to curb terror outfits festering within its borders.

US business and investment opportunities in India: This may be a long shot, but Modi can be expected to present a few business and investment opportunities in India, and while Trump is absolutely against "outsiders" getting American jobs, he is also a businessman who might jump at these investment opportunities for the benefit of the US.
Let's just hope that trump administration has some india policy ready by then, for now they have nothing.

Kshatriya87

Country flag
Let's just hope that trump administration has some india policy ready by then, for now they have nothing.
Problem is, they only see India as a counter to China. They fail to see the benefits of co-operation with India. They have no interest in helping Indians to tackle terrorism.

ezsasa

Designated Cynic
Mod
Country flag
Problem is, they only see India as a counter to China. They fail to see the benefits of co-operation with India. They have no interest in helping Indians to tackle terrorism.
Quite frankly, from whatever think tank videos I have seen (and editorials) only we Indians feel that Americans view India as a counter balance to china. The view that India is a counter to china comes up frequently only in the policy editorials of "the diplomat", which is a Japanese funded magazine(I think).

If you watch think tank discussions on China with only American panelists, India does not come up while discussing china.

I don't mind being proven wrong on this aspect.

achievement(not a small task) we had in modi era is that we have successfully de-hyphenated from pak in international fora.

Last edited:

I am otm shank

Indians have poor strategy and execution of anti terrorist policy. Why would the us invest resources and political capital to draw the resentment of South Asian muslims when indians are incompetant to handle their own security and they have their hands deep in the middle east already?

Global Defence

New threads

Articles