Future Infantry Combat Vehicle (FICV)

kunal1123

Country flag
Tender 10 wheeled FICV have been issued by IA last week.

I am assuming its a precursor to the big tender.
cannot find in IA site if u have it /or link do share..............................

kunal1123

Country flag
idrw.org
Futuristic infantry combat vehicle for Army: Decision on whopping $7.5 bn deal likely by July end
3 minutes
SOURCE: FE

The future of the Indian Army’s long-delayed $7.5-billion futuristic infantry combat vehicle (FICV) programme is expected to be taken up when the Defence Acquisition Council (DAC) meets later this month.

A source told FE: “At the recent Defence Procurement Board (DPB) meeting, it was decided to let the DAC take a call about reissuing expression of interest (EoI) for the FICV.”No firm decision was taken by the DPB as some companies, including Mahindra Group, Tata Motors and Reliance Defence, which were declared non-complaint earlier this year have been making representations.

For the 2600+ vehicle order, the Indian companies which are trying include L&T, Mahindra, Tata, Bharat Forge and Reliance Defence. The potential original equipment manufacturers (OEMs) will include US-based General Dynamics, Russian companies under the umbrella of Rosoboronexport and the German Rheinmetall Group, subject to approval, among others.The earlier EoI for FICV, which is expected to have a life span of 32 years, was issued under the DPP-2008 and it has recommended a minimum 40% indigenous content.

As reported earlier by FE, “As per the procedure, once the DPB addresses issues related to the FICV that were raised by certain companies earlier this year, it moves to the DAC.”A lot of issues, mostly procedural in nature, seem to be hampering further progress in the project. There also seems to be no clarity over the number of development agencies the MoD would need for this programme.

Under the approved SP model, for the armoured vehicle segment, the first would be Future Infantry Combat Vehicle (FICV), which is currently being considered under the ‘Make’ Category under DPP-2008.

In February this year, former defence minister Manohar Parrikar had said “everything has been discussed about the project and there are certain aspects that are to be finalised”.The Indian Army had issued a request for information (RFI) in June 2015 to design and develop a new-generation combat vehicle platform called the Future Ready Combat Vehicle (FRCV). Under the project, 2,610 FICVs are expected to be built.

kunal1123

Country flag
I DON'T UNDERSTAND HOW MEDIA CALCULATE THE DEAL SIZE OF 7.5 BILLION WHEN IT FIRST SUPPOSE TO BE R$D PROJECT BETWEEN TWO PRIVATE PLAYER..................................

tharun

Patriot
Country flag
We can add 105mm gun to krestrel and make it as mobile gun system.Just like american M1128.
Even we can add 120mm gun but the recoil should be managed by using soft recoil.

Vijyes

Will the Kestrel Armored carrier have Active Protection System?
APS is for protection against tank bullets, not for FICV. It is only for tanks or other items like SPG. It adds extra weight.

Brij Ray

Country flag
APS is for protection against tank bullets, not for FICV. It is only for tanks or other items like SPG. It adds extra weight.
Thanks for the reply. I actually put the question after watching this video.

Vijyes

Thanks for the reply. I actually put the question after watching this video.

Israel doesn't have long distance mobility needs unlike India. India can't afford to waste unnecessary fuel and money on such kind of armour and additional transport weight. India has large numbers of troops and long distance travel. Such FICVs with heavy armour need huge fuel tanks or will give poor range.

According to the video the Eitan weighs 35 tons! While M113 of US weighs 10 tons.

That is serious overweight problem which is not at all recommended

aditya g

Country flag
Pictures of Kestrel are randomnly plugged on to any news about the FICV project.

Reality is that wheeled IFVs are not even in contention for FICV. At most, Kestrel is a BRDM replacement but even there I am not sure if thats what Army thinks.

@Kunal Biswas had mentioned that Army envisioned the Tata LAMV 4x4 to play recce role.

idrw.org
Futuristic infantry combat vehicle for Army: Decision on whopping $7.5 bn deal likely by July end
3 minutes
SOURCE: FE

The future of the Indian Army’s long-delayed $7.5-billion futuristic infantry combat vehicle (FICV) programme is expected to be taken up when the Defence Acquisition Council (DAC) meets later this month.

A source told FE: “At the recent Defence Procurement Board (DPB) meeting, it was decided to let the DAC take a call about reissuing expression of interest (EoI) for the FICV.”No firm decision was taken by the DPB as some companies, including Mahindra Group, Tata Motors and Reliance Defence, which were declared non-complaint earlier this year have been making representations.

For the 2600+ vehicle order, the Indian companies which are trying include L&T, Mahindra, Tata, Bharat Forge and Reliance Defence. The potential original equipment manufacturers (OEMs) will include US-based General Dynamics, Russian companies under the umbrella of Rosoboronexport and the German Rheinmetall Group, subject to approval, among others.The earlier EoI for FICV, which is expected to have a life span of 32 years, was issued under the DPP-2008 and it has recommended a minimum 40% indigenous content.

As reported earlier by FE, “As per the procedure, once the DPB addresses issues related to the FICV that were raised by certain companies earlier this year, it moves to the DAC.”A lot of issues, mostly procedural in nature, seem to be hampering further progress in the project. There also seems to be no clarity over the number of development agencies the MoD would need for this programme.

Under the approved SP model, for the armoured vehicle segment, the first would be Future Infantry Combat Vehicle (FICV), which is currently being considered under the ‘Make’ Category under DPP-2008.

In February this year, former defence minister Manohar Parrikar had said “everything has been discussed about the project and there are certain aspects that are to be finalised”.The Indian Army had issued a request for information (RFI) in June 2015 to design and develop a new-generation combat vehicle platform called the Future Ready Combat Vehicle (FRCV). Under the project, 2,610 FICVs are expected to be built.

Vijyes

Can this FICV be used in place of BMP too? Screw the license production. No more license, but only production.

Sidd

Can this FICV be used in place of BMP too? Screw the license production. No more license, but only production.
These FICVs are actually being developed to replace all BMP-2 in Indian Inventory .

singh100ful

Country flag
Pictures of Kestrel are randomnly plugged on to any news about the FICV project.

Reality is that wheeled IFVs are not even in contention for FICV. At most, Kestrel is a BRDM replacement but even there I am not sure if thats what Army thinks.

@Kunal Biswas had mentioned that Army envisioned the Tata LAMV 4x4 to play recce role.
This defence journalists don't have common sense and niether do they read those RFI or RFP by the army to get some clue about the items to be procured.

Adioz

शक्तिः दुर्दम्येच्छाशक्त्याः आगच्छति

AFAIK, Recce and Support battalions use both BRDM and Jeep-mounted ATGM. IMHO Kestrel would replace BRDM and TATA LAMV (confused between LAMV and LSV 2, If army orders LSV2, why does it need LAMV:confused1:) would replace Jeep-mounted unit.

aditya g

Country flag
AFAIK, Recce and Support battalions use both BRDM and Jeep-mounted ATGM. IMHO Kestrel would replace BRDM and TATA LAMV (confused between LAMV and LSV 2, If army orders LSV2, why does it need LAMV:confused1:) would replace Jeep-mounted unit.
Tata LAMV has not been inducted yet - and that's where I was coming from. Why does Army need both? Unless Kestrel replaces BRDM and LAMV replaces Jeep.

LSV2: Light Strike Vehicle is its own requirement. I see it replacing Maruti Gypsy, Mahindra Rakshak and Tata Sumo as a proper "jeep" while Tata Safari takes on staff car (GSV) requirement.

Adioz

शक्तिः दुर्दम्येच्छाशक्त्याः आगच्छति
Tata LAMV has not been inducted yet - and that's where I was coming from. Why does Army need both? Unless Kestrel replaces BRDM and LAMV replaces Jeep.

LSV2: Light Strike Vehicle is its own requirement. I see it replacing Maruti Gypsy, Mahindra Rakshak and Tata Sumo as a proper "jeep" while Tata Safari takes on staff car (GSV) requirement.
I am confused here.
I think

replaces these:

I cant figure out the difference between LSV 2 and LAMV:-

Meanwhile, I think

Kestrel is the only possible replacemement of BRDM:-

LAMV or LSV cannot replace BRDM.

FICV is completely different. It can only replace tracked vehicles.
I am not sure what you are trying to say.:confused1:

how is this not 30 charrr??????

aditya g

Country flag
Sorry for the late reply.

The Tata LSV2 and LAMV are very similar, but not the same. They are built to different requirements and have different features:

1. LAMV has a v-shaped crew pod unlike LSV

2. LAMV has optronics on what looks like a telescopic mast. I assume there is associated equipment to view the images on monitors inside the vehicle.

Thus LAMV is designed to fulfill a light recce role which is fullfilled by Jeeps like this one:

0629.jpg

and

OTOH, LSV2 will replace this:

10SF 13891810_2081379182087618_4389511043641481388_n.jpg

Kestrel, should replace BRDM, but thats also speculation at this point.

I am confused here.
I think

replaces these:

I cant figure out the difference between LSV 2 and LAMV:-

Meanwhile, I think

Kestrel is the only possible replacemement of BRDM:-

LAMV or LSV cannot replace BRDM.

FICV is completely different. It can only replace tracked vehicles.
I am not sure what you are trying to say.:confused1:

how is this not 30 charrr??????

Armand2REP

CHINI EXPERT
Country flag
Screw foreign vendors. There is no reason an IFV can't be made by private Indian companies. They were deemed non-complaint because the state wants to control everything. An investigation should be called and heads roll.

Global Defence

New threads

Articles