Further Upgraded Indian T-72

Vinod DX9

Country flag
MBTs even with 1500 hp engine can't be operated in all places of Himalayan terrain. To make it accessable in most part we need light tanks. Light tanks are solely China centric. Chinese have deployed their own light tanks and tankdestroyers (wheeled platform) . We will follow same.

Vinod DX9

Country flag
Any further details? And will it not be FMBT/NGMBT ?/FRCV is the platform under whichFMBT FICV etc come
IMG_20171109_114554_494.JPG

aditya10r

Mera Bharat mahan
Country flag
Any further details? And will it not be FMBT/NGMBT ?/FRCV is the platform under whichFMBT FICV etc come View attachment 21495
Plus minus 7 tonne weight.

I think it is a good chance for Arjun mk2,if the guys at cvrde are able to bring its weight down,then it can be the fort runner.

patriots

Defense lover
Country flag

I think it is a good chance for Arjun mk2,if the guys at cvrde are able to bring its weight down,then it can be the fort runner.
ya ...but there is no news of arjun weight reduction ..
recently someone posted about the weight reduction here ..if cvrde can reduce the weight in time frame...then it will be great.

Shaitan

Zandu Balm all day
Mod
Country flag

CVRDE's NGMBT isnt a Arjun platform, it's a whole different design.

Shaitan

Zandu Balm all day
Mod
Country flag
And by when can expect it's prototype????

Well, IA just announced the FRCV program, which pretty much the DRDO anticipated with the NGMBT, DRDO will need to find a production agency, if they are not going with OFB will need to pitch it with international companies and their private sector SPs..

TheHurtLocker

Country flag
Brilliant thread, thanks to all for contributing.
Latest is this news item(So trials etc probably done, hence the massive orders I believe)

"The DAC also accorded approval for procurement of 1,000 engines of 1,000 BHP (brake horse power) for fitment in T-72 tanks of the Army under 'Buy & Make' category and at an approximate cost of over Rs 2,300 crore," the statement said.

Post transfer of technology, most of these engines will be manufactured by Ordnance Factories Board (OFB).
The engines will enhance mobility, agility and acceleration of T-72 tanks making them more versatile and effective in the battlefield, the statement said.

Ajeyas in this configuration have probably started to reach the respective regiments by now, I think.
Anyone has any additional info or images?

Assassin 2.0

Country flag
How T-72 updated one's stand against Pakistani Al-khalid aka type - 90

TheHurtLocker

Country flag
How T-72 updated one's stand against Pakistani Al-khalid aka type - 90
Unlikely scenario (They will be targeted by IAF) but hypothetically, the Ajeya has the upper hand.
Firepower advantage Ajeya [Invar missile(5 Km range), better electronics etc ]
Mobility massive advantage Ajeya[V92-S2 engine is just a much better engine than the 2 Stroke Ukranian disaster equipping the T-80UD/MBT2000].
Protection advantage Ajeya[The frontal arc is better shielded and not as half assed as the cover on the MBT2000].
But the other important point is we have 3 Ajeyas for every MBT2000.

Longewala

Country flag
Unlikely scenario (They will be targeted by IAF) but hypothetically, the Ajeya has the upper hand.
Firepower advantage Ajeya [Invar missile(5 Km range), better electronics etc ]
Mobility massive advantage Ajeya[V92-S2 engine is just a much better engine than the 2 Stroke Ukranian disaster equipping the T-80UD/MBT2000].
Protection advantage Ajeya[The frontal arc is better shielded and not as half assed as the cover on the MBT2000].
But the other important point is we have 3 Ajeyas for every MBT2000.
Any idea how good it bad is the Ukrainian 1200hp engine Vs the 1000hp fitted on the upgraded Indian 72s, on paper has a go advantage, what's the catch?

TheHurtLocker

Country flag
Any idea how good it bad is the Ukrainian 1200hp engine Vs the 1000hp fitted on the upgraded Indian 72s, on paper has a go advantage, what's the catch?
From what I see in open sources, the peak torque of the motor is around the same as the V46-6 engine of the Ajeya. The Tank is heavier at around 48T as well. The cycle is a 2 Stroke one(Most engines run on a more efficient 4 Stroke cycle) and to compensate for the inefficiency they have Supercharged and Turbocharged it, adding even more weight.(The V92-S2 weighs a good bit less and produces a lot more torque)
The reliability is extremely questionable(They produce basically nothing and everything is imported)
I suspect that the only reason why they went with it is to have some sort of commonality with the T80 UD, it was also the lesser of two evils(Chinese engines in the late 90s were an even bigger gamble) and a lot of kickbacks from Ukraine.

Last edited:

Longewala

Country flag
From what I see in open sources, the peak torque of the motor is around the same as the V46-6 engine of the Ajeya. The Tank is heavier at around 48T as well. The cycle is a 2 Stroke one(Most engines run on a more efficient 4 Stroke cycle) and to compensate for the inefficiency they have Supercharged and Turbocharged it, adding even more weight.(The V92-S2 weighs a good bit less and produces a lot more torque)
The reliability is extremely questionable(They produce basically nothing and everything is imported)
I suspect that the only reason why they went with it is to have some sort of commonality with the T80 UD, it was also the lesser of two evils(Chinese engines in the late 90s were an even bigger gamble) and a lot of kickbacks from Ukraine.
Thanks that's very interesting to know.
I wouldn't know much about these engines but explsins. the high hp, much higher than even the pre 2010 v92s, especially from a country without a cutting edge industrial base. No surprise it comes with significant drawbacks in terms if reliability etc.

I seem to recall they trialled other engines such as the Perkins cv12 and supposedly "rejected" them - too expensive and not enough kickbacks I guess.

shuvo@y2k10

Country flag
The Ajeya upgrade in T-72 is not very modern upgrade, in terms of protection. T-72 inherently has very bad armour protection.There are large number of upgrade packages for T-72 especially in the East european countries, which have much better modular armour and ERA coverages. For example:
Polish PT-91 (local variant of T-72)

Czech proposed T-72 upgrade:

Serbian upgrade(M -95 local version):

DRDO proposed upgrade (Tank Ex):
1588364565898.jpeg

Weighing at 48 tons, and armed with 120 mm arjun gun, it would be very potent choice. Additional ERA armour can be installed. Unfortunately, Tank ex was rejected. It had the potential to be exported as the Chinese are exporting their VT-4.

HariPrasad-1

Country flag
The Ajeya upgrade in T-72 is not very modern upgrade, in terms of protection. T-72 inherently has very bad armour protection.There are large number of upgrade packages for T-72 especially in the East european countries, which have much better modular armour and ERA coverages. For example:
Polish PT-91 (local variant of T-72)

Czech proposed T-72 upgrade:

Serbian upgrade(M -95 local version):

DRDO proposed upgrade (Tank Ex):
View attachment 46731
Weighing at 48 tons, and armed with 120 mm arjun gun, it would be very potent choice. Additional ERA armour can be installed. Unfortunately, Tank ex was rejected. It had the potential to be exported as the Chinese are exporting their VT-4.
Our main problem is short sitesbess. Our babus and politicians can never think like a businessman. They think like engineers or a babu. This is the reason we could not rise inspite of a big potential.

SATISH

DFI Technocrat
Ambassador
Country flag
The best way to use an old T72 is to design an unmanned turret for it and use it as a light tank for the ladakh corps. And replace the T72s with T 90 newer variant. The IA can easily use the existing infrastructure for logistics. It can also help iron out the issues for unmanned turret for FMBT.

arkos

Country flag
If things go as planned our armoured corps will undergo a complete makeover this decade with Arjun MkII, FRCV, FICV. I just hope good sense prevails and private sector is allowed to actively participate in this transformation.

fire starter

Tihar Jail
Banned
Country flag
If things go as planned our armoured corps will undergo a complete makeover this decade with Arjun MkII, FRCV, FICV. I just hope good sense prevails and private sector is allowed to actively participate in this transformation.
there will be always one fool sitting at the top position stalling everything.

Latest Replies

Global Defence

New threads

Articles