Fuel tank falls from Navy's MiG-29 fighter jet during take-off in Vizag

WolfPack86

Country flag
The Indian Navy, which has been creating infrastructure to house a MiG-29K squadron at INS Dega on the eastern seaboard at Vizag, has ordered a probe into the incident.
In an incident involving Indian Navy's supersonic fighter jet MiG-29K, a fuel drop box jettisoned while the aircraft was taking off from INS Dega in Visakhapatnam on Monday morning. Because of this a minor fire broke out on the runway of INS Dega which was immediately controlled by the alert staffs.

The Fuel Drop Tank of MiG-29K jettisoned accidentally while the MiG was taking off on a routine training sortie. No one has been injured and no damage has been sustained to the aircraft or the runway.

Before landing, the crew of MiG- 29 K dropped another empty fuel tank as a safety procedure which fall near the HPCL quarters creating panic among the locals. However the alert local police immediately reached to the spot and recovered the fuel tank and handed over to the Navy.
The south zone ACP ram Mohan rao told " the empty fuel tank fall from the sky. However no damage on ground has been reported. The navy officer came and collected the fuel tank with a capacity of 400 litres"

Confirming about the incident eastern navy command source said "Each MiG carries two fuel tanks, one on each wing and to maintain equal weight on both wings the Fighter jet dropped the empty fuel tank after losing one during take off"

Meanwhile the Indian Navy has ordered an inquiry into the incident.
http://indiatoday.intoday.in/story/...-takeoff-at-vizag-naval-station/1/751348.html

Adioz

शक्तिः दुर्दम्येच्छाशक्त्याः आगच्छति
Confirming about the incident eastern navy command source said "Each MiG carries two fuel tanks, one on each wing and to maintain equal weight on both wings the Fighter jet dropped the empty fuel tank after losing one during take off"
I am a noob so pardon me but:
Will the fly-by-wire not take care of the situation even if equal weight is not maintained on both wings?
Or was it done as a just-to-be-safe measure?

airtel

Country flag
Will the fly-by-wire not take care of the situation even if equal weight is not maintained on both wings?
Mig 29 dont have FLY BY Wire system .

Rahul Singh

Country flag
Ideally, FBW should handle asymmetric loads. I think in this case it was just a malfunction of some mechanical sections, pylons most likely.

BTW LCA can handle asymmetric loads.
10_Oct-XL - Copy - Copy - Copy - Copy.jpg
07_Jul-XL.jpg

Latest Replies

Global Defence

New threads

Articles