French MICA (EM&IR) Missile vs Israeli Derby (EM) & Python 5 (IR) Missile

WHICH MISSILES GOING TO BE MORE EFFECTIVE IN FUTURE WAR FOR IND AIR FORCE IN FUTURE

• Total voters

pack leader

Professional
Pretty sure the propulsion is made by Raytheon. I don't know any Israeli company of the likes of Roxel or Microturbo.
both imi and Rafael are missile propulsion makers
imi makes mainly small cruse missile engines and smart munition engines
for Rafael this is core business they make all types off missile engines from tactical SAM to ICBM

BTW: the original tech was imported from Marseille dsue in the 60'

Last edited:

Armand2REP

CHINI EXPERT
Country flag
both imi and Rafael are missile propulsion makers
imi makes mainly small cruse missile engines and smart munition engines
for Rafael this is core business they make all types off missile engines from tactical SAM to ICBM

BTW: the original tech was imported from Marseille dsue in the 60'
Please show me their propulsion lines, b/c I can't find it.

Drsomnath999

lord of 32 teeth
Country flag
Take any major forum you want. F-16.net, keypub to name a few. There are pilots there, people who have actually fired the missile. They said it has a speed of Mach 3.5. No need to verify that information.

For eg: Do you need to verify what Ray sir says? Mil pros are a source by themselves.
see they dont mention the altitude from which they fire their missiles ,u should also take notice of that.,if that case then all BVR missiles would have a variable speed in diffrent altitudes.
After all manufacturer specifications we take it as final ,if the manufacturer is lying about it's specification then thats a different thing.But we should give more importance to it's manufacturer specification
than PILOT"S words.
i am not saying they are lying but for the sake of comparision we follow manufacturer instructions

Ok. I will buy it. This means R-27s seeker head comes from Russia.
no it is not confirmed that they buy seeker from RUSSIA u fail to read that article properly that

Ukrainian company is the only manufacturer of these missiles, although Russian firms supply some components for R-27
no where it is written they buy seeker from them .They were partners with russia to develop & produce jointly seekers ,YES AGAT is the parent source
but ukraine produces it's seeker under licencse.

That's the IR seeker. I am talking about RF seekers with new, supposedly active arrays. Why are you so thick? Don't digress.
ya i know but the point i want to say that even ukraine can also produce advanced seekers .IF a country can produce better IR seeker why cant it develop better RF seekers than russia

NOW no need to do mudslinging on me for that .Kindly Accept it

The Chinese were supplied. Both countries are making their own seekers.
whether they were supplied /or china copy pasted it that we would never know nor nobody can prove .& one more thing i want to say that chinese are
developing PL 12b which chinese members say may take help from ukraine or who knows may have Ukranian seekers ,now whether u beleive me or not thats upto u .I wont stretch more on it

But you are digressing from the topic again. You start talking about completely random aspects which has no link to what we were originally discussing. For eg: When I was talking about lateral translation and turning speeds, you randomly started talking about "powerful seekers," warhead and what not(none of which had any bearing to the discussion since all missiles have those).
no i am not deviating from topic plz correlate what u posted in post no #55
U said about hit probabilty /kill probabilty along with translation/missile turning ability
It has a lot to do with lateral translation and turning speed of missile vs the aircraft. If the Aim-120 goes faster than Mach 3.5, then it won't hit anything while making 30G maneuvers. It will shoot past. Similarly, the missile speed is controlled on R-77 while performing 40G maneuvers at mach 4 at it's peak.
thats why i said about aimraam's seeker's abilty & warhead becoz at it's final stage it is more important than missile speed & turning abilty for a good hit
probabilty.U see technically a missile to hit a aerial target a missile should manuveur 3 times more G manuveur than the plane itself to have a good chance of hit probabilty.U dont need the missile to hit the plane like a bullet to do a killing even a powerful warhead with good blast radius can do a considerable damge to bring down a plane.& AMRAAM has both those capbilty (good proven seeker & powerful warhead but blast radius is classified data).Missile speed is less important to both these i pointed above in relation to hit probabilty.

When we were talking about BVR, then you suddenly talk about going into WVR and the pilot praying and more bullcrap. Stick to one point. Don't digress. It gives the impression you don't understand what I am saying.
the same thing here also my replies are according to ur standard of posts ,if u correlate ur posts above & compare my replies u would understand it

U said
RF is better than IR anyday, in any environment, against any target and any circumstance.
i repiled
but the fact in history says opposite as majority of kills in history has been in within visual range by IR guided missiles ,plz check i am correct or wrong
& u replied
The past has little bearing to the future if you consider how air warfare has changed.
thats why i replied that pilots still practise dogfight ,why???
becoz u should be prepare to fight under every circumstances as new generation of ECM technology & manuverable fighters are being developed & also' stealth planes are coming in future that also increases the chance of failure of BVR missiles.So dog fighting is not obsolete & would have it's importance in future

& regarding pilot chanting thing it 's not my fault as u posted offtopic rants like finger crossed & u deserve my blowbacks with my own offtopic rants like
pilots chanting'.I reply according to quality & standard of posts yes that was off topic from me.

There were 6 Mig-29s. All 6 were clueless. They were flying normally and were shot down, meaning they had no idea the missiles had homed in on their position. In a single mission a Dutch F-16(formation of 4) shot down one Mig from 30Kms. The Migs were 4 in number. During this time a F-15 killed two other Migs from the formation. The Migs had no idea what happened.

Overall actual BVR kill ratio for AMRAAM is 40%. 6 kills out of 15 shots.
those cheap a$$ excuses about mig pilots cant undo the proven capabilty of AIMRAAM missiles ,kindly admit it. If thats the case then R 77 cant even do a single kill against a well trained pilots on american or any other jet as new generations of ECM & manuverable planes are coming.

& aimraam has much better kill ratio than Russian bvr missiles like u see in 1999 Eritrean-Ethiopian War

1999 Eritrean-Ethiopian War, Eritrean MiG-29s fought Ethiopian Su-27s both piloted by Russian mercenaries.[5] There were possibly as many as 24 R-27s fired by both sides, but they were evaded by their targets. Only one R-27 fired by an Ethiopian Su-27 at an Eritrean MiG-29 proximity-fuzed near enough the MiG that the damaged aircraft eventually crashed on landing.
R-27 (air-to-air missile) - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

That was a journo who wrote it, not a technically qualified person.
well u dont need to post accurate technical terms everytime for a reader to understand an object .A person with some standard commonsense & comprehension skills can understand the meaning of RPV flying in air as a target drone .I think which u dont have seriously.

yes that why i said a neutral reader which closely studies all our posts from beginning can decide which guy is right or wrong.

Last edited:

p2prada

see they dont mention the altitude from which they fire their missiles ,u should also take notice of that.,if that case then all BVR missiles would have a variable speed in diffrent altitudes.
After all manufacturer specifications we take it as final ,if the manufacturer is lying about it's specification then thats a different thing.But we should give more importance to it's manufacturer specification
than PILOT"S words.
i am not saying they are lying but for the sake of comparision we follow manufacturer instructions
You misunderstood. Ok. To make it simple, R-77 is faster than Aim 120-C-5 by mach 0.5. So, this will give you a perspective on things. If you believe Aim-120 is Mach 4 then R-77 is Mach 4.5.

Today the basic belief is the Aim 120C-5 can do Mach 3.5 during end game from 30000 feet when fired at Mach 0.9.

no it is not confirmed that they buy seeker from RUSSIA u fail to read that article properly that
no where it is written they buy seeker from them .They were partners with russia to develop & produce jointly seekers ,YES AGAT is the parent source
but ukraine produces it's seeker under licencse.
Ukraine buys RF seekers from Agat for R-27. All Ukrainian seekers are classified as an Agat in any of the published works for R-27.

ya i know but the point i want to say that even ukraine can also produce advanced seekers .IF a country can produce better IR seeker why cant it develop better RF seekers than russia

NOW no need to do mudslinging on me for that .Kindly Accept it
If they are developing one right now, I don't know. But currently R-27 has Agat seekers.

whether they were supplied /or china copy pasted it that we would never know nor nobody can prove .& one more thing i want to say that chinese are
developing PL 12b which chinese members say may take help from ukraine or who knows may have Ukranian seekers ,now whether u beleive me or not thats upto u .I wont stretch more on it
Ukraine cannot help China with RF seekers. Belarus is a better option if they want Soviet tech. PL-12B may very well have a Chinese seeker ripped off from Agat's designs.

no i am not deviating from topic plz correlate what u posted in post no #55
U said about hit probabilty /kill probabilty along with translation/missile turning ability

thats why i said about aimraam's seeker's abilty & warhead becoz at it's final stage it is more important than missile speed & turning abilty for a good hit
probabilty.
...which has nothing to do with what you said.

U see technically a missile to hit a aerial target a missile should manuveur 3 times more G manuveur than the plane itself to have a good chance of hit probabilty.
No. It is a combination of both speed and G, not just G. There is no point if the missile flies 4 times faster with 3 times the G. That's why the Aim-120 is pegged at 30G and Mach 3.5 which roughly gives it a good capability against a target maneuvering at 9G. The R-77, at Mach 4 and 40G can hit a target at 12G. Then again, the RVV-AE with a smaller range and lesser mid course speed can still have an equivalent NEZ as the longer range C-5 because the fin design allows high speed and high G maneuvers for end game.

U dont need the missile to hit the plane like a bullet to do a killing even a powerful warhead with good blast radius can do a considerable damge to bring down a plane.& AMRAAM has both those capbilty (good proven seeker & powerful warhead but blast radius is classified data).Missile speed is less important to both these i pointed above in relation to hit probabilty.
Pfft. Perhaps if you read up on Meteor, you will understand why the NEZ is twice that of C-5.

Perhaps you should also know that Meteor's seeker is a slightly modified MICA seeker. Pretty much the same thing that IAF may have ordered, except that Meteor may have a larger power output and antenna.

the same thing here also my replies are according to ur standard of posts ,if u correlate ur posts above & compare my replies u would understand it
You start new topics which actually have no relation to the discussion. If we speak about maneuverability, then speak about maneuverability. Don't bring warhead, blast radius etc into it. It has no bearing to the discussion.

I know proximity fuse, warhead and seekers are needed and in my book, and pretty much all air forces in the world, all missiles have these. So, there is no point in trying to bring these into the discussion. The Americans are slightly ahead, not extremely ahead.

Anyway, I am not talking about C-7 or C-8, I am talking about C-5 and the C-5s seekers are behind the latest stuff coming from France, Israel and Russia. Except for range there is no other advantage to the C-5 against what IAF is procuring very soon.

U said

i repiled
but the fact in history says opposite as majority of kills in history has been in within visual range by IR guided missiles ,plz check i am correct or wrong
& u replied

thats why i replied that pilots still practise dogfight ,why???
becoz u should be prepare to fight under every circumstances as new generation of ECM technology & manuverable fighters are being developed & also' stealth planes are coming in future that also increases the chance of failure of BVR missiles.So dog fighting is not obsolete & would have it's importance in future
I never talked about dog fighting, nor am I interested in Dog fighting when talking about BVR missiles. It makes no sense whatsoever.

The fact that history says opposite is why I said BVR is not proven and the Aim-120's "proven" record counts for sh!t.

& regarding pilot chanting thing it 's not my fault as u posted offtopic rants like finger crossed & u deserve my blowbacks with my own offtopic rants like
pilots chanting'.I reply according to quality & standard of posts yes that was off topic from me.
Pfft.

those cheap a$$ excuses about mig pilots cant undo the proven capabilty of AIMRAAM missiles ,kindly admit it.
I can't help it if you are an idiot. Shooting down a UAV is much harder than shooting down those Serbian Migs.

If thats the case then R 77 cant even do a single kill against a well trained pilots on american or any other jet as new generations of ECM & manuverable planes are coming.
The Aim-120 is as well proven as the R-77.

The R-37s seeker is said to be able to target from a 90Km distance. There is no equivalent to this claim.

& aimraam has much better kill ratio than Russian bvr missiles like u see in 1999 Eritrean-Ethiopian War
Sure. American is the standard for western weapons while Africa is the standard for Russian weapons. Nice comparison. :rolleyes:

well u dont need to post accurate technical terms everytime for a reader to understand an object .A person with some standard commonsense & comprehension skills can understand the meaning of RPV flying in air as a target drone .I think which u dont have seriously.
There are some abbreviations like BVR, WVR, ICBM etc which don't need translation. There are some which when introduced in a forum, especially when it is so vague as RPV, then it is basic etiquette to inform what it means. It has nothing to do with common sense or comprehension skills. Monster trucks from Chinese toy factories come under RPVs and so do toy RC aircraft flown by enthusiasts. When you try to be sarcastic and nobody understands, then it is merely a bad attempt at sarcasm.

yes that why i said a neutral reader which closely studies all our posts from beginning can decide which guy is right or wrong.
It is interesting that you are trying to aim for e-penis rather than learn yourself.

Last edited:

Drsomnath999

lord of 32 teeth
Country flag
If you believe Aim-120 is Mach 4 then R-77 is Mach 4.5.
It's not about u or i beleiving anything it is a fact ,R77 indeed has mach 4.5 speed & is faster & more manuverable than AIM

120C-5 which has mach 4 speed.

.which has nothing to do with what you said..
yes it has but u dont want to admit it,becoz ur allergic /blind to real facts.AS hit probabilty is also dependent on those
2 factors .

No. It is a combination of both speed and G, not just G. There is no point if the missile flies 4 times faster with 3 times

the G. That's why the Aim-120 is pegged at 30G and Mach 3.5 which roughly gives it a good capability against a target

maneuvering at 9G. The R-77, at Mach 4 and 40G can hit a target at 12G.
yes of course speed & G's are both important,I was stating the thumb rule for a manuveurabity of a missile in relation to

kill/hit probabilty of a missile in relation to it's target .Infact slight correction it is 5 times according to G-load of

its target
(Shaw R.L., 'Fighter Combat, Tactics and Manoeuvring', Naval Institute Press, 1985.)

AIM 120 is deliberately launched at an altitude which
restricts it's speed to mach 3.5 as the missile would have manuverabilty problems at high altitude ,same is the scenario with
R77 thats why it has a restricted mach 4 speed compare to it's original mach 4.5 speed.

Then again, the RVV-AE with a smaller range and lesser mid course speed can still have an equivalent NEZ as the longer range

C-5 because the fin design allows high speed and high G maneuvers for end game
fin design doesnt add to speed but it's powerful rocket motor does.It is a manuvueable thanks to it's unique lattice tail

controls,

Noescape zone would always be slighly higher for AIMRAAM 120C 5 but not much .

Pfft. Perhaps if you read up on Meteor, you will understand why the NEZ is twice that of C-5.

Perhaps you should also know that Meteor's seeker is a slightly modified MICA seeker. Pretty much the same thing that IAF may

have ordered, except that Meteor may have a larger power output and antenna.
blah ....!!!
but that same missile if fired upon by 2 different platforms like typhoon & Rafale against each other lets see who has more

Kill probabilty.
As at end game the platform with better ECM & advanced Jammers would survive i.e RAFALE thanks to (SPECTRA).That means the seeker quality is pivotal to success of the missile to hit it's target.

RAMJET addition is an extra advantage ,why???
The attraction of ramjet BVR AAMs lies in their ability to sustain thrust and thus turning performance in the endgame phase

of an engagement, where conventional soild rocket missiles are flying on inertia alone and rapidly lose speed when turning.
What ramjet missiles provide is not only more range than rocket missiles of equal mass, as the oxidizing agent is the air

mass itself, they importantly provide thrust during the endgame phase of the missiles' flight.This is important because in

conventional missile designs once the rocket motor is exhausted the missile's total energy is only that stored in its
momentum and altitude.

Anyway, I am not talking about C-7 or C-8, I am talking about C-5 and the C-5s seekers are behind the latest stuff coming

from France, Israel and Russia. Except for range there is no other advantage to the C-5 against what IAF is procuring very

soon.
Only france & isreael may be advanced in seeker quality but What Russia!!! to C5 YES in ur wet dreams.As U r biased &

overtly nationalistic not admitting that those intial missiles which india procured had many problems which includes it's

russian seekers.India was it's 1st export customer & intial batches didnt

perform according to as it's stated capablity .

I can't help it if you are an idiot. Shooting down a UAV is much harder than shooting down those Serbian Migs.
LLOLLZ
If thats the case then i am too skeptical that even R 77 or any russian bvr missile could shoot down those serbian MIGS after seeing their

disasterous performance 1999 Eritrean-Ethiopian War

The Aim-120 is as well proven as the R-77.
what!!!

My A$$ :lol:

The R-37s seeker is said to be able to target from a 90Km distance. There is no equivalent to this claim.
good keep those claims to urself,

Sure. American is the standard for western weapons while Africa is the standard for Russian weapons. Nice comparison.
tell u what u are biased to the power infinity & also u have a pathetic comprehension skill ,kindly read again that russian
pilots were flying the Su 27 jets & mig 29 jets,so what has africa got to do with this comparision.The fact is russian bvr
missiles did performed pathetically .

Monster trucks from Chinese toy factories come under RPVs and so do toy RC aircraft flown by enthusiasts. When you try to be

sarcastic and nobody understands, then it is merely a bad attempt at sarcasm.
Since when did monster trucks start to fly in the air.The fact is that u would never admit that ur a dumba$$ with horrible

comprehensive skills that fails to understand not only the sarcasm but also all the valid points that i posted about hit

probabilty of a missile.

It is interesting that you are trying to aim for e-penis rather than learn

yourself.
U dont even have that infact mine's size is sufficient in terms according to ur scale of comparision regarding knowledge.

Readers this guy is an egoistic fraud & he is more interested in mudslinging rather than debating.Signs of frustation purely seen from the quality of his post

p2prada

It's not about u or i beleiving anything it is a fact ,R77 indeed has mach 4.5 speed & is faster & more manuverable than AIM

120C-5 which has mach 4 speed.
Reduce by 0.5 Mach.

yes of course speed & G's are both important,I was stating the thumb rule for a manuveurabity of a missile in relation to

kill/hit probabilty of a missile in relation to it's target .Infact slight correction it is 5 times according to G-load of

its target
(Shaw R.L., 'Fighter Combat, Tactics and Manoeuvring', Naval Institute Press, 1985.)
I don't think that is correct unless of course you failed to understand what the author has mentioned which I deem highly likely. Without missile speed and target speed you won't get the required information.

Say a missile does mach 4 and a target at mach 0.8. The G required to engage such a target will not be 5 times but will be 25 times. So, if the target is doing 1G, then the missile only needs to maneuver at 25G. If the target does 9G then the missile needs to maneuver at 225G. You figure out the math Mr Doctor. :rofl:

Against a target and a missile that does Mach 4, if the missile needs to do only 5 times the G to match the target, according to the quote by Shaw R L, then the target should be moving at Mach 1.8.

The slower the missile the lower the G required to match the target. However with Pronav(Proportional Navigation) it won't matter. So, higher the speed, quicker is the ingress. Now with Pronav, the X number of Gs still depends on the target, it won't be as high as the math above indicates, but it all depends on the target and missile's lateral translation. So, when the author gives 5 times G and you post it as the end all of all argument, he is definitely talking about things you don't understand.

The AMRAAM is nothing great on maneuvering as compared to MICA or R-77. It has lesser aerodynamic capability than the other two. Therefore the speed of the missile has to be lesser than the other two in order to match capability. Firing an AMRAAM at Mach 4 is completely useless. It has nothing to do with restriction, AMRAAM simply won't do Mach 4.

I hope now you understand why I said it is much more difficult to target UAVs. But of course, you won't.

AIM 120 is deliberately launched at an altitude which
restricts it's speed to mach 3.5 as the missile would have manuverabilty problems at high altitude ,same is the scenario with
R77 thats why it has a restricted mach 4 speed compare to it's original mach 4.5 speed.
Pfft. I told long ago, speed is controlled and has nothing to do with height as a reason to control it. But max speed is Mach 3.5 for Aim-120. Then there is such a thing as cruise speed for the missile which is lower.

Speed of sound at 10Km altitude is 300m/s. That roughly gives the AMRAAM's speed of 1.2Km/s a mach speed of 3.6 considering air temperature, pressure and density are at normal levels at that height. Considering most BVR specs are given at that altitude, along with the range, the AMRAAM's speed is pegged at mach 3.6 or mach 3.5 depending on what measure you want for your calculation. AMRAAM does Mach 4 only at sea level, but at the same time the range is less than 20km. However find out the difference between terms like KTAS and KIAS and you will realize that the mach 4 speed is only in your dreams.

fin design doesnt add to speed but it's powerful rocket motor does.It is a manuvueable thanks to it's unique lattice tail

controls,
Sherlock. Heard of Lift and Drag. Fin design affects speed, positively in some regimes, negatively in some others. It all depends on which altitude and speed the missile is fired from.

Noescape zone would always be slighly higher for AIMRAAM 120C 5 but not much .
R-77 has much lesser range. It is a smaller missile, it will have a smaller NEZ. RVV-SD will kill that difference, so will Astra.

As at end game the platform with better ECM & advanced Jammers would survive i.e RAFALE thanks to (SPECTRA).That means the seeker quality is pivotal to success of the missile to hit it's target.
Has nothing to do with the discussion.

RAMJET addition is an extra advantage ,why???
The attraction of ramjet BVR AAMs lies in their ability to sustain thrust and thus turning performance in the endgame phase

of an engagement, where conventional soild rocket missiles are flying on inertia alone and rapidly lose speed when turning.
What ramjet missiles provide is not only more range than rocket missiles of equal mass, as the oxidizing agent is the air

mass itself, they importantly provide thrust during the endgame phase of the missiles' flight.This is important because in

conventional missile designs once the rocket motor is exhausted the missile's total energy is only that stored in its
momentum and altitude.
Turning performance is degraded unless you have a throttleable motor. You need to reduce speed to turn and increase speed again. That's how Meteor works. Don't talk about things you don't understand or talk about things without giving proper information. A simple RAMJET without speed control will have piss poor turning capability.

The rest I will agree with, but has nothing to do with the discussion, since none of the missile we are talking about have RAMJET. Anyway dont forget increased Drag and increased weight of motors.

Only france & isreael may be advanced in seeker quality but What Russia!!! to C5 YES in ur wet dreams.As U r biased &

overtly nationalistic not admitting that those intial missiles which india procured had many problems which includes it's

russian seekers.
New R-77 seekers have western electronics. You can say some are as advanced as anything the west has produced. Texas Instrument's TMS320(since 1998) is one such processor used in both R-27 and R-77s RF seekers since quite sometime. There is nothing wrong with the new age active seekers being built by Agat.

This is an article from 1998.
AGAT MISSILE SEEKER COMBINES TECHNOLOGY FROM EAST AND WEST - Jane's Missiles and Rockets

The Americans sold the C-5 to PAF by assuring India, it won't matter to force equations. Even in the US, C-5 is considered a cheap, low end missile since 2006.

India was it's 1st export customer & intial batches didnt

perform according to as it's stated capablity .
Teething problems, weather conditions, build quality etc. The only thing we know in open source is that the promised shelf life was not achieved for the seekers and affected capability, courtesy CAG. Some seekers were found to be defective after ageing. Any other complaint is not open source. If you have one, then post it.

If you have a source saying there are design faults, even if it is a book, then post it.

LLOLLZ
If thats the case then i am too skeptical that even R 77 or any russian bvr missile could shoot down those serbian MIGS after seeing their

disasterous performance 1999 Eritrean-Ethiopian War
Of course. It is very simple if you think BVR is simply tracking and shooting. During Kosovo war, NATO had to complete 5 major checks before firing. RoE matters, then comes training. Missile and aircraft quality come last.

tell u what u are biased to the power infinity & also u have a pathetic comprehension skill ,kindly read again that russian
pilots were flying the Su 27 jets & mig 29 jets,so what has africa got to do with this comparision.The fact is russian bvr
So what? Flying a Flanker does not mean you are equivalent to an IAF or VVS pilot.

what!!!

My A$$ :lol:

good keep those claims to urself,

Since when did monster trucks start to fly in the air.The fact is that u would never admit that ur a dumba$$ with horrible

comprehensive skills that fails to understand not only the sarcasm but also all the valid points that i posted about hit

probabilty of a missile.

U dont even have that infact mine's size is sufficient in terms according to ur scale of comparision regarding knowledge.

Readers this guy is an egoistic fraud & he is more interested in mudslinging rather than debating.Signs of frustation purely seen from the quality of his post
Hilarious.:lol:
You seem very insecure. :laugh:

At least I am glad you accept MICA(French) and Derby(Israel) have "very advanced"(your own words) seekers which was the actual topic of discussion.

fulcrum

Country flag
Re: French MICA (EM&IR) Missile vs Israeli Derby (EM) & Python 5 (IR)

Are you aware those missiles carried by those jets were surplus stock which were dumped off and not manufactured new?
Are you aware those missiles need specialized climate controlled storage facilities which I doubt those african countries had, or even the Russians bothered about it in their own storage facilities before transferring them to africa, after their country collapsed and they didn't have any money to even pay salaries, let alone worry about proper maintenance of their storage facilities. Missile seeker degradation w.r.t improper storage conditions - especially in a hot climate close to the Sahara desert - we have all the recipe for a poor kill ratio.

Seriously, taking an African experience as the base for comparison is silly.

BTW, MiG-29s were flown by Ukrainian mercs, not Russian.

Drsomnath999

lord of 32 teeth
Country flag

Are you aware those missiles carried by those jets were surplus stock which were dumped off and not manufactured new?
Are you aware those missiles need specialized climate controlled storage facilities which I doubt those african countries had, or even the Russians bothered about it in their own storage facilities before transferring them to africa, after their country collapsed and they didn't have any money to even pay salaries, let alone worry about proper maintenance of their storage facilities. Missile seeker degradation w.r.t improper storage conditions - especially in a hot climate close to the Sahara desert - we have all the recipe for a poor kill ratio.

Seriously, taking an African experience as the base for comparison is silly.

BTW, MiG-29s were flown by Ukrainian mercs, not Russian.
Seriously
i really really really didnt find any proper comparision :lol:,
if u have any proper comparision they plz feel free to post to enlighten me & everyone:D

CHEERS

Last edited:

fulcrum

Country flag

Seriously
i really really really didnt find any proper comparision :lol:,
if u have any proper comparision they plz feel free to post to enlighten me & everyone:D

CHEERS
You didnt find any proper comparison because there isnt any. Citing African countries, or small third world countries against NATO(with their plethoria of support assets ranging from AWACS, JSTARS, satellite intel and limitless money and hardware), as universal results to be extrapolated to any quarter is indeed silly, which only American fanboys and their worshippers like to put forth to feel better about themselves. If you want a proper comparison wait for a war between IAF and PAF. Or a third world war between Russia and NATO.

Last edited:

ersakthivel

Brilliance
Country flag

The difference is too much and it is not just range.

Both have IIR seekers. "More advanced" is subjective and can only be proven on the field which is not happening.

I am talking about Mk2 as well.

You don't know what are all the different seeker combinations that can be attached in the litening pod pylon of even LCA mk-1.Lca mk-1 is the first fighter in IAF to have fully internal Ew suit. ANd mk-2 will definitely have ASEA . Even mk-1s will have AESA in upgrades.
I don't think you understand. The Mk1 is currently inferior to even the 1980s level Mirage-2000. What I am saying is our current fleet of Mirage-2000s are superior to LCA Mk1. It would be a big deal if LCA managed to match the upgraded Mirage-2000-5 in time. Hopefully, the Mk2 will be a little ahead of the Mirage-2000-5, albeit with more advanced avionics.
Mk-1's full flight envelope hasn't even been opened and it's final long range BVR combination is not yet decided besides R-73 and Derby,. None other than Riaz khokar who is NTSE chief has stated on the record that even within the partially opened flight envelope LCA mk-1 is superior to Mirage-2000 in many key aspect. But You are as usual shedding loads of crap on Tejas as usual with scant regard for truth. Also to what fighter is the Akash mk-1 or mk-2 is supposed to be mated ? Mig-21 , Mig-323/27 , or Tejas?

It's makers have gone on record saying that Astra series of missiles are primarily intended for tejas,

Do you know what is the range of Astra?

The whole wing section of Tejas was redesigned in 2004 in FSED phase-II to cater to the heavier launch stress inducing higher range higher weight missiles , which was the primary reason for the delay ion Tejas induction. So it is certain that IAF should have given a 120 Km range BVR missile spec to ADA in this redesign.

Definitely tejas mk-1 and Mk-2 will both carry Astra mk-1 , mk-2 . ADA chief himself has stated on record that tejas mk-2 will have the interface to fire Meteor as well.
It is not just me with a negative perception of LCA, include the air force in it too. Anyway, the point is the Derby on LCA won't equate to MICA on Rafale. Even though the missiles are similar, the difference in capability the platforms offer is significantly different. We can end it here.

If IRST package is added Tejas will have the capacity to equal any IRST based missile on any fighter and it will be done .
No. It is not happening. I thought the same a couple of years ago, but Mayawi isn't the same as what's going in the F-35I. The US actually allowed Israel to modify the F-35 very recently, while Mayawi has been in the works for years.
You don't know what is the config of any EW package that will go into Tejas in production mode.
There is enough power in tejas mk-1 and mk-2 to cater to ASEA radar . It is a stupid remark to quote without any source that there is not enough power in tejas for ASEA radar,

Last edited:

Drsomnath999

lord of 32 teeth
Country flag

You didnt find any proper comparison because there isnt any. Citing African countries, or small third world countries against NATO(with their plethoria of support assets ranging from AWACS, JSTARS, satellite intel and limitless money and hardware), as universal results to be extrapolated to any quarter is indeed silly, which only American fanboys and their worshippers like to put forth to feel better about themselves. If you want a proper comparison wait for a war between IAF and PAF. Or a third world war between Russia and NATO.
Woo!!

all right i would keep my finger crossed for that even if the both the countries or world get destroyed with nuclear attack but comparision is more important than life of people:hippo:

ersakthivel

Brilliance
Country flag

Somnath compared Rafale with LCA. That's why.

Anyway Trishul is not the place to go for military news.

There will be no IRST on LCA AFAIK. AESA seems to have been delinked from LCA Program. If larger orders are placed, there is a possibility AESA may be seen as a future upgrade, like how it is on MKI with the Super 30 upgrade. AESA on a small aircraft like LCA isn't largely beneficial.
ASEA on grippen a waste of time perhaps or as usual all these rules apply to Tejas?

Also did the Su-30 fly in with the latest IRST when it entered service in IAF?

ASEA is delinked from tejas mk-2 only in livefist, nowhere else,

Also who gave you the assurance that there will be no IRST for Tejas mk-2?

Now the same thrisul guy has posted various weapon config for tejas, Is that also wrong?

So you are the only credible source of news as far as tejas is concerned?

Last edited:

Latest Replies

Global Defence

New threads

Articles