French demand Crown Jewels to compensate for 1499 murder of Edward Platagenet

W.G.Ewald

Defence Professionals/ DFI member of 2
Professional
French demand Crown Jewels from the Queen for 1499 murder of Edward Plantagenet | Mail Online
French city of Angers in Loire Valley provided some of the greatest monarchs in British history
When Edward Plantagenet was murdered in Tower of London in 1499 house's legitimate male line came to an end
City believes it is owed an apology – and 513 years' worth of compensation
Sum would amount to billions in today's currency, but city is prepared to accept the coronation jewels

Known_Unknown

Devil's Advocate
I believe India has a stronger claim when it comes to Britain's riches, including the crown jewels.

Scalieback

Professional
Wasn't the blood of American, British, Canadian and Commonwealth soldiers enough? How many French units took part in Normandy?

How about the blood of Americans, Brits and Commonwealth soldiers in 1914-1918. As usual, the French are ungrateful 'cheese eating surrender monkeys.'

Their right to the English Crown is about as good as Idi Amin's was to being the last king of Scotland :rolleyes:

Last edited:

Scalieback

Professional
Angers will never see the crown jewels, but reminding the English that they were ruled for over 300 years by French monarchs is worth every gram of effort.
Another failed belief. Have a read of 1000 Years of Annoying the French: Amazon.co.uk: Stephen Clarke: Books

The French history books really do need a rethink. The French have as much ruled England as Olaf the viking ruled Wales ie never. The Norsemen who conquered northern France (already the start of French capitulation), became the Normans who subsequently conquered England.

Now if you said England owned more of France than the French King, I may agree :cool:

W.G.Ewald

Professional
Angers will never see the crown jewels, but reminding the English that they were ruled for over 300 years by French monarchs is worth every gram of effort.
Richard the Lionheart spoke no English. :)

Scalieback

Professional
Richard the Lionheart spoke no English. :)
I know and I also know where he was born. Does not speaking French make you any less French? After all 'le weekend' 'le aeroplane ticket' I could go on about the anglification of the French language, but it wouldn't prove they were Brits any more than I'm French.

Minor point, but where did he die and who was he fighting :)

Last edited:

Armand2REP

CHINI EXPERT
Country flag
Another failed belief. Have a read of 1000 Years of Annoying the French: Amazon.co.uk: Stephen Clarke: Books

The French history books really do need a rethink. The French have as much ruled England as Olaf the viking ruled Wales ie never. The Norsemen who conquered northern France (already the start of French capitulation), became the Normans who subsequently conquered England.

Now if you said England owned more of France than the French King, I may agree :cool:
Considering you didn't have a country before the French got there, it is hard for them to own something when they didn't yet exist.

Where did the Normans live? France
What language did they speak? French
Whose religion did they adopt? French
What state were they a vassel of? France
Who made up the majority of the Army? French
What language was the English Court? French
And who finally won the 100 years war? France

Who turned backwater England into a modern nation state? France

Now shut your trap and get those crown jewels. :cool:

The Messiah

Bow Before Me!
I thought the current royal family of britain was german ?

i think the only true british monarchs were when they joined with scotland after king henry ?

W.G.Ewald

Professional
No, he's right. The current ruling dynasty in Britain is the House of Saxe-Coburg and Gotha, a German dynasty. Its name was changed to "House of Windsor" because of anti-German sentiment during WWI.

House of Saxe-Coburg and Gotha - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Battenberg family - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
The Battenberg family was a morganatic branch of the House of Hesse-Darmstadt, rulers of the Grand Duchy of Hesse in Germany. The first member was Julia Hauke, whose brother-in-law Grand Duke Louis III of Hesse created her Countess of Battenberg with the style Illustrious Highness (H. Ill.H.) in 1851, at her morganatic marriage to Grand Duke Louis' brother Prince Alexander of Hesse and by Rhine, and elevated her title to Princess of Battenberg with the style Serene Highness (HSH) in 1858. The name "Battenberg" was last used by her youngest son, Prince Francis Joseph of Battenberg, who died childless in 1924. Most members of the family, residing in the United Kingdom, had renounced their German titles in 1917, due to rising anti-German sentiment among the British public during World War I, and changed their name to "Mountbatten", an anglicised version of Battenberg. The name Battenberg refers to the town Battenberg, Hesse.
You all are familiar with Lord Louis, of course.

Admiral of the Fleet Louis Francis Albert Victor Nicholas George Mountbatten, 1st Earl Mountbatten of Burma, KG, GCB, OM, GCSI, GCIE, GCVO, DSO, PC, FRS[1] (born Prince Louis of Battenberg; 25 June 1900 – 27 August 1979), was a British statesman and naval officer, an uncle of Prince Philip, Duke of Edinburgh and cousin (strictly, second cousin once removed) to Elizabeth II. He was the last Viceroy of India (1947) and the first Governor-General of the independent Union of India (1947–48), from which the modern Republic of India emerged in 1950.

Last edited:

Scalieback

Professional
Considering you didn't have a country before the French got there, it is hard for them to own something when they didn't yet exist.
Rubbish. After the Romans conquered Gaul (which is where?) Julius went somewhere else and ran away. Only Claudius did it. Another sign of French early capitulation. A national trait it would seem ;)

Where did the Normans live? France
you mean the Norsemen (aka vikings) who conquered and occupied northern France.

What language did they speak? French
Yep. And English contains how many French words?
Whose religion did they adopt? French
Westminster Abbey was already built when they crowned the barstweard William. It was the same religion.
What state were they a vassel of? France
Not really: The House Of Normandy - Television Tropes & Idioms
Who made up the majority of the Army? French
More ill informed 'fact': Battle of Hastings - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
What language was the English Court? French
Yep
And who finally won the 100 years war? France
They did. They also burnt their heroine :)
Who turned backwater England into a modern nation state? France
Even more rubbish. Once we had finally finished off the rebellious northern neighbours (and their French allies) in 1746, we could then venture forth

Come and get them :) or will you reach into your survival tin which contains only one item, a folded piece of white cloth :cool:

Scalieback

Professional
I thought the current royal family of britain was german ?
Descended from the house of Hannover, so yes German.

i think the only true british monarchs were when they joined with scotland after king henry ?
You mean King James I, or James VI of Scotland? That line died out not long after the 'glorious revolution' and when we asked a Dutchman to be King.

roma

NRI in Europe
Country flag
Considering you didn't have a country before the French got there, it is hard for them to own something when they didn't yet exist. Where did the Normans live? France What language did they speak? French Whose religion did they adopt? French
What state were they a vassel of? France Who made up the majority of the Army? French What language was the English Court? French
And who finally won the 100 years war? France Who turned backwater England into a modern nation state? France
Hi Armand - i think i "might " be speaking for at least a few of us here , if not more , but it would be great if you could somehow tell us more about france and its culture , language - indeed any aspect - we have been so programmed by the english ( mostly our own fault - for letting it happen ) that we would appreciate hearing about others especially the important nation of france ....sometime back there was a Serbian who did that about serbia - so it might be a vague request - see what you would make of it - and many thanks in advance for anything along those line

Scalieback

Professional
Hi Armand - i think i "might " be speaking for at least a few of us here , if not more , but it would be great if you could somehow tell us more about france and its culture , language - indeed any aspect - we have been so programmed by the english ( mostly our own fault - for letting it happen ) that we would appreciate hearing about others especially the important nation of france ....sometime back there was a Serbian who did that about serbia - so it might be a vague request - see what you would make of it - and many thanks in advance for anything along those line
Type into Google "french military victories," and click the "I'm feeling lucky" button. That'll give you a good idea :)

Wiki isn't bad imo as France does have a long and (mostly) noble history: History of France - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

They have been very instrumental in stopping much of English expansion by aiding our enemies (Scotland, America, India etc) throughout history which may explain why the English view is somewhat tainted ;)

Last edited:

roma

NRI in Europe
Country flag
Type into Google "french military victories," and click the "I'm feeling lucky" button. That'll give you a good idea :)
Wiki isn't bad imo as France does have a long and (mostly) noble history: History of France - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
They have been very instrumental in stopping much of English expansion by aiding our enemies (Scotland, America, India etc) throughout history which may explain why the English view is somewhat tainted ;)
well im being friendly - and not offended but really you have kinda ( i did say kinda ) corrupted my request - which was to member Armand

unfortunately you have taken a simple request to someone else and turned it into a kinda warped misunderstanding

many of us indians want to know more about france - and it does not affect our already EXCELLENT relationship with the UK ( notwithstanding the return of stolen property - eg jewels , gold and silver )

my position is that regarding military strategy India is now both with the usa-nato group as with the russians- more or less - and the brits saved us from the ottomans and kept us in one piece - we are friends with all three - USA , russians and European Union - so i cant agree that "america and india " are your enemies

my request to Armand was a sincere desire to learn more about France , the french language, people , their likes dislikes - pity that ( especially after your inappropriate response ) you have little to contribute in that ?

Last edited:

Global Defence

New threads

Articles