Free roaming, high broadband speeds in new telecom policy

Yusuf

GUARDIAN
Super Mod
Country flag
NEW DELHI: The new telecom policy will bring cheer to consumers with the government on Monday proposing to remove roaming charges for subscribers within the country, exponentially increasing broadband availability and speed and allowing for mobile numbers to be ported to any part of the country.
According to the draft of the new telecom policy unveiled by communications minister Kapil Sibal, roaming charges will be done away with and users will be allowed to port their mobile numbers, keeping the same number, even while switching service areas.
Free roaming, high broadband speeds in new telecom policy - The Times of India

Yusuf

GUARDIAN
Super Mod
Country flag
The report does not mention what will be the lowest broadband speed? The current one is a pathetic one and most company offer only 2Mbps at affordable prices. Beyond that is very expensive. India needs higher speeds and lower broadband prices just like mobile prices to increase broadband penetration.

Adux

Country flag
I pay unlimited 1 Mpbs Download/Upload, I do get the promised speed, there is no fluctuation, I download at 110 kps and I pay Rs.2800/month. Tata Indicom

Yusuf

GUARDIAN
Super Mod
Country flag
I pay unlimited 1 Mpbs Download/Upload, I do get the promised speed, there is no fluctuation, I download at 110 kps and I pay Rs.2800/month. Tata Indicom
1mbps is pathetic when other countries are on much higher speeds...@2800 a month for 1 mbps, TATA is making you a sucker!!

I pay 999 for 2Mbps unlimited* with airtel.

*fair usage policy.

Yusuf

GUARDIAN
Super Mod
Country flag
One thing is that mobile rates cannot go any lower. Operators will only hike prices now. 1/2ps per sec is the lowest though i am on a 1ps per sec plan. but i mean what lower than 1/2ps per sec? I guess to go any lower, the operators will give money for usage!!!:rofl:

Daredevil

On Vacation!
Super Mod
No distinction between local, STD calls in new telecom policy

Telecom users will be able to avail free roaming and keep their phone numbers even if they switch service providers anywhere in the country, as per the draft New Telecom Policy unveiled by the government on Monday.

The distinction between local and STD calls would vanish, as the policy aims at a 'one-nation-one-licence' regime.

Yusuf

GUARDIAN
Super Mod
Country flag
Last edited by a moderator:

Adux

Country flag
1mbps is pathetic when other countries are on much higher speeds...@2800 a month for 1 mbps, TATA is making you a sucker!!

I pay 999 for 2Mbps unlimited* with airtel.

*fair usage policy.
I dont have a fair usage policy!

LurkerBaba

Super Mod
Country flag
I pay one fourth that amount for 1mbps unlimited, and no fair usage policy either :D

Last edited:

Galaxy

Country flag
I pay approx. 1700 Rs. P.M.

I get 2 MB unlimited Internet speed with a telephone connection

200 DVD quality/Stereophonic Channels (IPTV), You can pause/Rewind any of the channels. I watch all channels by going back. Sometime 7 days back to watch last Monday programme on any channel.

IPTV Airtel Delhi - The best service. :thumb:

Singh

Phat Cat
Super Mod
Country flag
Airtel has FUP and they throttle streams and downloads. Mtnl and Bsnl otoh do not.

Imo it'd be better if he gets himself one of the Hd+recording Tv services a la TataSky and uses an Mtnl connection to download movies, music and tv shows that he can't get otherwise.

SPIEZ

Country flag
bring back unlimited SMS!!!!!!!!!!1
Let's campaign against KAPIL SIBAL

Galaxy

Country flag
I think IPTV is not available in most of the cities. As of now, Airtel IPTV is only available in Delhi/NCR and Bangalore. Reliance IPTV is also expected to start soon.

Yusuf

GUARDIAN
Super Mod
Country flag
The way Airtel runs is FUP for 10 GB or so depending on the plan and once that limit is crossed the speed drops to a super fast 256kbps :D

Latest Replies

Global Defence

Articles