'Frankenstein monster' Lokpal may increase corruption: Markandey Katju

Discussion in 'Politics & Society' started by Yusuf, Mar 31, 2012.

1. Yusuf

Yusuf GUARDIAN Administrator

Totally agree with him.

--------------

NEW DELHI: Press Council of India chairman Justice Markandey Katju on Saturday urged Parliament to refer the Lokpal Bill to a Standing Committee for further consideration so that a workable corruption investigation machinery can be created.

In its present state, the Bill can create a parallel bureaucracy that could turn into a "Frankenstein monster" and double or triple corruption, he said in a statement.

Katju, a retired Supreme Court judged, said that whether it was the Jan Lokpal Bill or the Sarkari Lokpal Bill, the legislation envisaged overseeing the work of some 55 lakh government employees in the country (of which 13 lacs are in the Railways alone), from Prime Minister to peon.

"Surely one person cannot enquire into the lakhs of complaints which are bound to pour in. It will require thousands of Lokpals, may be 50,000 of them to do this," he said.

He also added that all these officers will have to be given salaries and amenities like housing, offices and staff.

"And then where is the guarantee that these will not themselves become corrupt? In fact considering the low level of morality prevailing in India, we can be fairly certain that a large number of them will become blackmailers," Katju said.

Justice Katju said that implications of creating Lokpal were not rationally thought out and "some people thought that all problems of corruption will be solved by shouting 'Bharat Mata Ki Jai' or 'Inquilaab Zindadbad' from Jantar Mantar or Ram Lila Ground

He said while Anna Hazare was an honest person, his ideas were not scientific.

http://m.timesofindia.com/PDATOI/articleshow/12482058.cms

The Messiah likes this.
  3. arya

arya Senior Member Senior Member

yes for lalu,mulam and for corrupt leader lokpal will be monster

now every one is lotting

4. The Messiah

The Messiah Bow Before Me! Elite Member

You can put n-number of system but if person in that system is corrupt then nothing can be done.

Corruption can be removed easily but many innocents will also be punished.

Make death penalty the only punishment for corruption and separate courts to handle only corruption cases. Max time 6 months for a case. Hang lackhs of people. Majority of people will get scared and never indulge in corruption. Show no mercy and do not hesitate in coming down like a house on fire.

You see there is simple solution for every problem but whether it is moral or ethical is another matter.

btw i agee with katju.

pmaitra likes this.
  5. VIP

VIP Ultra Nationalist Senior Member

Anna must not be knowing who's Frankenstein....:lol:

6. pmaitra

pmaitra Moderator Moderator

Absolutely.

Even the Lokpal(s) and the politicians can strike a deal like, "You scratch my back and I'll scratch your's."

Mad Indian likes this.
  7. trackwhack

trackwhack Tihar Jail Banned

have you read the Lokpal draft? From your response I believe not.

Lokpal is shit!

8. Mad Indian

Mad Indian Proud Bigot Veteran Member Senior Member

Politicians are criminals and people are idiots. They acted as if they did not want to include the grade C workers into Lokpal but later "reluctantly" added only the Grade C workers in to the anti-corruption ambit from the demand made by that moron Anna. These corrupt Bast**ds will do anything to make sure their loot is not made difficult.

And people are stupid ready to realise it- How in the name of god is the 11 member team going to investigate the entire bureaucracy:frusty:?

But people get what they deserve. You dont need all these anti corruption shit if they dint vote like ----king idiots. The govt can crush the corruption in bureaucracy anytime it wants and the govt is in the hands of the Voter morons. So Who is to be blamed for all this mess?

9. Ray

Ray The Chairman Defence Professionals Moderator

Now what are the scientific methods Katju suggesting.

He being a ex Judge is echoing the Supreme Court advise to the Chief - Wise men are those who move with the wind.

So, if Corruption is the way of the wind, then so be it and we follow? :shocked:

10. Mad Indian

Mad Indian Proud Bigot Veteran Member Senior Member

NO its about time the people of this country- the society becomes less corrupt(note less corrupt and not not corrupt) instead of demanding its leaders it elected to be less corrupt.

11. Yusuf

Yusuf GUARDIAN Administrator

"people" become "leaders". Accept the realities and move on. Stop the loot like ilegal mining.

Let's get on with life. All I expect is good policies all round. Everyone prospers. Someone will make a cut but then it's ok of the indian machinery is moving and we are all prospering. This whole shit about fighting corruption is going to breed more corruption.

12. Daredevil

Daredevil On Vacation! Administrator

How can it create double or triple the current corruption when it is already at a peak

Funding 50,000 people is nothing when compared to the scale of corruption in this country.

Of course, no body works for free.

Adopt internal mechanisms to weed out such corrupt lokpals.

Then this walking talking man who is expert on everything under the sun should tell us what are the scientific ideas to curb corruption.

A chauhan likes this.
  13. Daredevil

ha ha, you are asking the same law making persons who are head to toe corrupt to legislate a law which will put all of them to the death penalty. :pound:

The reason for corruption in lower bureaucracy is due to 'low salaries' and in higher bureaucracy due to corruption becoming a way of life.

Mad Indian and SPIEZ like this.
  14. Daredevil

Many people are prospering due to illegal mining - the illegal miners, the bureaucrats who allow it, the politicians, then workers, the transport people and the country by gaining valuable foreign exchange. I don't see any wrong in illegal mining because the indian machinery is moving and everyone around is prospering. :thumb: :thumb:

15. The Messiah

I am not asking them to create this law because i am sane enough to realize that it could only be made and implemented in a dictatorship or some revolutionary govt.

Low salaries is useless excuse...corruption is part of our culture now. There are still people on low salaries that refuse to even take Rs.1 bribe. It is all about personal ethics of people and sadly majority of Indians have no ethics when it comes to corruption.

Our "human resources" is corrupt. You can make any system and keep on adding a layer upon layer of system but it will only increase number of hands that have to be paid a bribe.

16. Daredevil

Keep dreaming

Low salaries is a reason whether you agree or not. A person on low salary cannot educate his children in good school/college and for that to happen, he has to spread his hands under the table. I also agree that corruption has become a way life and one of the reasons/trigger for it is low salaries and lack of oversight on these employees.

Please understand why our human resources have become corrupt - they are not born corrupt. We are corrupt because our system lets us to be corrupt. We need to change the system gradually so that such corruption is curbed or eliminated.

SPIEZ likes this.
  17. The Messiah

Yes we need to change the system for the better but adding another layer of red tape will change the system not for the better but for the worse.

Out of 50,000 lokpal members (?) i wont be surprised if 49000 start expecting bribes themselves. It will happen...I am certain of it.

Only way is to bring in harsh punishments...above all else people value there lives. Dont frown at me even your anna said to cut of hands of corrupt people.

18. Daredevil

We never had such a system. Its a folly to presume things even before operating it. Let it be operational and fo problems arise, it can be fine tuned.

Again a folly. Let there be a mechanism to not let such things happen. Since we are starting from scratch with Lokpal, let's start it clean.

Not feasible. I don't support his views on chopping off the hands. I'm no blind follower.