France in 'Final' Talks with UAE on Rafale : Longuet .

Zebra

Country flag
AGENCE FRANCE-PRESSE
Published: 17 Oct 2011 11:36

PARIS - France is in the final stage of negotiations with the United Arab Emirates for the sale of Rafale fighter jets, Defence Minister Gerard Longuet said Oct. 17.

"We are in the final negotiation," Longuet said on LCI television of talks on the UAE acquiring the French-made fighters, adding that the chances were "very strong" that a contract would be signed.

"It's a significant deal for this country," he said. "When you equip an air fleet, it's for 40 years, so the buyer sets his conditions."

Negotiations began in 2008 for the sale of 60 Rafale fighters, the pride of Dassault Aviation used by France's armed forces but yet to be sold abroad.

Abu Dhabi has asked for an improved version fitted with a more powerful engine from Snecma of the Safran group with a thrust of nine tons, as well as a higher performing radar system from Thales.

Financing of these improvements "is one of the issues under discussion," a top Dassault Aviation official said in February.

France in 'Final' Talks with UAE on Rafale: Longuet - Defense News

Armand2REP

CHINI EXPERT
Country flag
I already posted it in the MMRCA thread. It would be nice to seal the deal before India makes her decision as much of the upgrades are going to be funded by the Emirates.

Zebra

Country flag
Armand , what about old UAE's Mirages ?
Did they fix it , like UAE will sell them , as an offer from France to buy them back .

Armand2REP

CHINI EXPERT
Country flag
France will buy them back for €1.2 billion. Some will go into ALA to replace F1s and unupgraded M2000s, the rest will be sold off.

pankaj nema

Country flag
Congratulations Armand for this deal

What is ALA that you have written

And have the French agreed for a more powerful engine than the existing one ?

Tomcat

it was a logical choice for the UAEAF As it is a AF with a long history of operating the Mirage family (except the F-1)the fedration also has a very close and frank relationship the UAEAF Also operates a one of Mirage -2000-9 AND 9 RAD varaint The Mirage 2000RAD reconnaissance variant does not have any built-in cameras or sensors, and the aircraft can still be operated in air combat or strike roles. The reconnaissance systems are implemented in pods, including the Thales "SLAR 2000" radar pod, Dassault "COR2" multi-camera pod with visible and infrared imaging capability, and the Dassault "AA-3-38 HAROLD" telescopic long-range optical camera pod. The UAE is the only nation operating such a specialized reconnaissance variant of the Mirage 2000 at this time.

Armand2REP

CHINI EXPERT
Country flag
Congratulations Armand for this deal

What is ALA that you have written

And have the French agreed for a more powerful engine than the existing one ?
ALA = Armee de L'Air

The engine upgrade is part of the deal, we are debating how much we are going to pay to develop it.

sukhish

ALA = Armee de L'Air

The engine upgrade is part of the deal, we are debating how much we are going to pay to develop it.
The deal has not been signed yet. I'm still not sure if it will go through

sandeepdg

So, Armand, how are you going to celebrate if this deal does go through ? A full monty atop the Eiffel Tower ? :lol:

sob

Mod
Country flag
Any chance of IAF picking up some of the Mirages to quickly bolster our fleet.

Zebra

Country flag
Any chance of IAF picking up some of the Mirages to quickly bolster our fleet.
What about a deal like UAE . France can buy our Mirages back and IAF will buy new Rafales . ;)

p2prada

Hopefully this deal will be done before ours. We will know where Rafale stands in terms of costs.

A.V.

What about a deal like UAE . France can buy our Mirages back and IAF will buy new Rafales . ;)
Who stands to benefit by this? i am sure its not the IAF considering the infrastructure and management skills gained over the years with the mirages

Neil

Country flag
Who stands to benefit by this? i am sure its not the IAF considering the infrastructure and management skills gained over the years with the mirages
but sir...in return we are getting a much better fighter...the cost of new and upgraded is nearly same- rafale has more life than mirages...and

we have 51 of them...so infrastructure is not vast and both are french planes so might be possible that IAF use same infrastructure for rafale as well...

Armand2REP

CHINI EXPERT
Country flag
Why would France want worn out unupgraded IAF Mirages? It makes some sense to buy back low hour modernised UAE jets as we can forgo spending a billion Euros to upgrade older jets and just induct those.

Tshering22

Sikkimese Saber
Country flag
So has UAE bought the Rafales or not? I have a feeling that MRCA would be the gate opener for latest variants of Rafale to the export world.

Zebra

Country flag

But Sir , it saves upgrade cost of old M2000 . Add some more $ and get new Rafales .

btw I will give more importance to new A/Cs and its performance . Rafale is better than M2000 .

I am not sure but , may be can use the old infrastructure for Rafales .

Last edited:

Latest Replies

Global Defence

New threads

Articles