Former principal auditor blasts holes in 2g loss figure

Discussion in 'Politics & Society' started by Ray, Nov 25, 2012.

1. Ray

Ray The Chairman Defence Professionals Moderator

Former principal auditor blasts holes in 2G loss figure, says apolitical CAG was influenced by senior BJP leader MM Joshi

Giving another twist to the 2G spectrum allocation controversy, former Comptroller and Auditor General official has questioned the CAG’s estimates of presumptive loss of Rs.1.76 lakh crore.

“After completing the audit of Ministry of Telecom, which was under my direct charge, I prepared a draft audit report covering each and every aspect … My report did not contain any loss figure,” said former Director General of CAG R P Singh.

Singh alleged that the 2G report was audited without guidelines and influenced by Public Accounts Committee Chairman Murli Manohar Joshi.

He added that his report carried “two types of figures which indicate the less recovery” based on Rs.1,658 crore that was charged for giving out pan-India licence along with spectrum.

“Another figure which I had indicated not as exactly as a loss but that amount that can be recovered. I found some people having more spectrum than what is provided under contractual agreement,” Singh said in an interview to TV channel.

He said that his report mentioned that Rs.37,000 crore can be recovered from those holding excess spectrum.

Read more at: Former principal auditor blasts holes in 2G loss figure, says apolitical CAG was influenced by senior BJP leader MM Joshi : India, News - India Today

via Former principal auditor blasts holes in 2G loss figure, says apolitical CAG was influenced by senior BJP leader MM Joshi : India, News – India Today.

Former principal auditor blasts holes in 2G loss figure, says apolitical CAG was influenced by senior BJP leader MM Joshi

Where lies the truth?

3. Ray

RP Singh’s 2G draft report full of holes

NEW DELHI: The 2G scam draft report submitted by former CAG official R P Singh, who has alleged that his findings were overridden by his seniors, was so shoddy that it failed to even establish that 85 of 122 telecom licences issued were in violation of the law.

Issuance of these licences to ineligible applicants, the backbone of the illegalities in the 2G scam, was established later and the relevant paragraph was referred to the department of telecommunication. However, this was under Singh's signature calling in question his claim of having nothing to do with 2G report beyond his May 31, 2010, draft.

Submissions by Singh and CAG Vinod Rai also cast an interesting light on an RTI that somewhat mysteriously landed on the former official's desk although he was the appellate authority. The response to the RTI significantly revealed Singh's reservations of the loss of revenue computations, including the Rs 1.76 lakh crore.

CAG has said Singh's initials on the RTI letter suggest the application was directly handed to him at 5.30 pm on July 29, 2011. The applicant was one Boban Varghese Paul, a former St Stephen's College student union president. The documents were later handed over to him by hand.

Rightfully the RTI request should have been first received at the Receipt and Issue section and later send to the CPIO. Singh explained the anomaly saying, "Normal procedure is that entire daks which comes to the office, is put in a folder and circulated to the officers including DG (P&T)."

Rai told PAC that it was the only instance "as substantiated from office records where an RTI application was received directly in the DG's secretariat."

Singh retired in September, 2011, as the Director General (P&T) after overseeing the 2G scam audit but has since virtually disowned the report that bears his signature. He renewed his attack on CAG and dragged PAC chair M MJoshi into the firing line just as the winter session of Parliament got underway.

Far from being a stickler for figures and audit formalities Singh's draft was overhauled although he was associated with the process, sources said.

Documents also question the credibility of Singh's estimate of the 2G loss being merely Rs 2,645 crore when he audited the 2008 allocations under DMK leader A Raja. Singh said he arrived at this figure on the basis of cost inflation index (CII) issued by the finance ministry. This was the additional revenue the government could have received on account of entry fee.

Rai told PAC that both the finance ministry and department of telecom considered the CII "an inappropriate parameter to calculate the value as the CII failed to capture the rapid growth of telecom sector". So it was the government itself that dismissed the figure.

Interestingly, Singh said that it was up to individual perceptions whether to treat cost inflation figures as real or not.

Singh and CAG differ on crucial aspects of the events that unfolded during the audit. Singh says he merely forwarded replies received from DoT in August, 2010. The submission, perhaps in keeping with his claim that he did not associate with the report after May, 2010, is challenged by CAG.

CAG said that replies were scrutinised by Singh's office and a "revised report incorporating the replies and further audit comments thereon was forwarded to headquarters in September, 2010."

RP Singh’s 2G draft report full of holes - The Times of India

4. parijataka

parijataka Senior Member Senior Member

If no wrong doing was there and all was hunky dory with the 2G and only CAG inflated for whatever reasons why this fellow did not raise his voice against the CAG at the time the Report was prepared. Persons like this RP Singh seem to crawl out of the wood work when the going gets tough for Congress.

5. Ray

BJP stand exposed: Sonia on former CAG official's claim on 2G loss figure

The UPA government and the ruling Congress on Friday grabbed the opportunity to blunt the Opposition's repeated attack over the issue of 2G spectrum allocation scam after a former official of Comptroller and Auditor General (CAG) claimed that the Parliament's Public Accounts Committee (PAC) chairman, Murli Manohar Joshi, had influenced the loss figure.

Soon after former director general of CAG, R.P. Singh, who supervised the audit of the ministry of telecommunication leading to the finding of a loss of Rs.1.76 lakh crore to the exchequer by faulty allocation of 2G spectrum, the Congress made an all out attack on the veteran BJP leader and asked for his explanation on the allegations.

Congress president Sonia Gandhi jumped into the controversy backing doubts over the CAG's 2G loss figure. When asked her whether BJP has been "exposed" over CAG report on 2G scam, she said, "Yes, certainly I think so."

Minister of Information and Broadcasting Manish Tewari hit out at CAG Vinod Rai. He sought explanations from the CAG and Joshi.

"What is extremely important that in May 2010 when draft report was made, the CAG's initial 2G loss was only Rs.2,645 crore. In November 2010 the report was presented in Parliament and the loss jumps to Rs.1.76 crore. Who was responsible for inflation in these figures? These are the issues which need to be addressed," Tewari said.

"These are questions which I think PAC needs to answer... CNDG has to reply that who is behind this. If this is true that CAG's officials helped PAC, many important questions have been raised," he added.

Attacking Joshi, the minister said, "I personally have the highest respect for Murli Manohar Joshi. These reports are subject to independent oversight. If this is true what needs to really looked at is this is traction. These are very relevant question which have been raised. His (Joshi's) credibility holds in parliamentary affairs committee. Now the real thing is being exposed. They did not let the whole session of Parliament run for this and last session was also at stalemate."

Congress general secretary Digvijaya Singh said, "Once again what I said has come correct... This is a very serious issue that the person who audits it, his report has been exaggerated and presented. As far as I know, 2G has already been audited. Now he has come out very categorically that he was forced to do so."

"This is a very serious charge against one of the most experienced and senior members, Murli Manohar Joshi. He should come out with clarification. I wonder, how these drafts are being leaked to the media first before Parliament. I am trying to find out that how many times the media has got this report before the government did," the Congress leader said.

The chairman of Joint Parliamentary Committee (JPC) that has been looking into 2G scam, P.C. Chacko, said that R.P. Singh had said similar things during the panel's meeting. He said Joshi should explain that whether his allegations were correct. He said the allegations were "highly improper".

"Murli Manohar Joshi should explain these allegations and if they are true these are highly improper. R.P. Singh has said similar things in the JPC meeting also," Chacko said.

Matter to be discussed in Parliament: Kamal Nath
    Parliamentary Affairs Minister Kamal Nath said, "A new fact has come up and we will discuss it in Parliament. Today many members telephoned me because they want this to be investigated because this is a very serious issue. I am sure that it would be discussed in Parliament."

"Many sayings of Congress would prove true and slowly this conspiracy is coming forward," he added.

Union Water Resources Minister Harish Rawat said, "About these things, the cognisance has to be taken by the court and the government... Our policy was very clear and the result is also very clear."

"From the 2G spectrum auction, the government will take action. This case is in front of higher institutions. Many things have come forward and some are yet to come forward," he added.

Left, SP ask Joshi to come clean
    Communist Party of India (CPI) leader D. Raja said, "Murli Manohar Joshi should explain his position. It is a very serious allegation against him. If one believes Mr R.P. Singh, then it is very serious allegation. My point is that Dr Joshi should come forward and explain. He is an important leader in BJP and he is being alleged to influence CAG report."

"I demand proper answer from Dr Joshi. He has to explain the entire position what had happened in his meeting CAG then let us see how things go forward," Raja reiterated.

Samajwadi Party MP Shailendra Singh said, "This is his version. This is a matter of investigation and no one can put his job in danger and can never compromise. Both the facts are before government and this should be investigated."

Read more at: BJP stand exposed: Sonia on former CAG official's claim on 2G loss figure : Parliament, News - India Today

6. Ray

MM Joshi rubbishes former principal auditor's claim, says attempt a conspiracy to malign CAG

Parliament's Public Accounts Committee (PAC) chairman Murli Manohar Joshi on Friday refuted charges levelled by former director general of Comptroller and Auditor General (CAG) office, R.P. Singh, who was the in-charge of the audit of the ministry of telecommunication that led to the exposure of 2G spectrum allocation scam.

Singh had alleged that the senior BJP leader, as the PAC chief, had influenced the loss figure due to 2G scam, as mentioned in the CAG report.

"These are baseless and rubbish allegations... It is an attempt and conspiracy to malign CAG and this officer is a part of this and why did he not raise the issue earlier," Joshi asked.

"There is nothing wrong in CAG officials visiting me. It had been a practice that CAG officials meet the chairman of PAC to explain about its report and the process... The official concerned never objected to the report in JPC or PAC meetings," he added.

Senior BJP leader Yashwant Sinha also lashed out at Singh, saying his allegations were baseless and questioned the timing of raising the issue.

"Why he did not raise the issue earlier? His timing is suspect," Sinha, who is also a member of the Joint Parliamentary Committee (JPC) that has been looking into the 2G issue.

Sinha said it was usual for the PAC chief to meet CAG officers. He demanded an inquiry against Singh.

The former Union minister also accused the UPA government of destroying CAG, saying it was "shameful". "Action should be taken against him... If Joshiji called the CAG official, there is nothing wrong in it," he said.

Read more at: MM Joshi rubbishes former principal auditor's claim, says attempt a conspiracy to malign CAG : Parliament, News - India Today

7. Ray

What's up?

8. VIP

VIP Ultra Nationalist Senior Member

Congress is trying hard to reverse its image, nothing else. I won't be surprised if these people do same thing for Coalgate and CWG.

9. Ray

Manish Tiwari has challenged for an open debate!

Bravado or has he got facts up his sleeves?

10. Joji

Joji Regular Member

Signed 2G report to avoid Vinod Rai’s ‘wrath’: Ex- CAG official RP Singh

New Delhi: Former CAG official R P Singh, who has stirred a controversy, has rejected the allegations that the Congress has put him up to defend the government on the audit report on 2G spectrum allocation which had estimated the presumptive loss of Rs 1.76 lakh crore.

"I don't think it has any substance," he told Karan Thapar in CNN-IBN's Devil's Advocate when asked about the charge that he has been put up by the Congress.

Singh said he has no connection with the UPA government nor he was having any interaction with it.

"Whatever I have said is not politically motivated and (my conscience) is very clear on that account," he added.

Singh said he would have earned the "wrath" of his then boss Vinod Rai if he had not signed the final audit report on 2G spectrum which pegged presumptive loss of the airwaves auction at Rs 1.76 lakh crore.

"I knew the content of the report... There was a written order. I had to comply. There is no scope for refusing. You would earn wrath," he said.

Singh said there "is no tradition of disagreeing or opposing orders of CAG in my department".

He said that he had deleted certain figures on presumptive loss from the draft report but they were later incorporated in the final report and he knew about it.

Singh also said that he was misquoted by a newspaper that PAC Chairman Murli Manohar Joshi sought to influence the CAG report on 2G whilst the report was being prepared.

"This claim has been made in newspaper report. I do remember that there is documentary statement where it is stated a member of PAC had asked to calculate loses using a particular formula. I cannot confirm the name, but I can confirm the content," Singh added.

He specifically said that he has been misquoted in the news report.

"I said a member of PAC... It has misquoted me," he said. The former official said that on one evening of July 2011, Deputy CAG Rekha Gupta summoned him and told him that that report needs to be delivered at 10 am to the Finance Secretary and Telecom Secretary.

"I came back to my office at around 7.30 pm or 8 pm. I ordered my team to prepare a prescribed format along with the set of complete supporting key documents... I signed it that very day at around 8 pm," Singh recollected.

On why he chose to speak on the issue after 14 months of his retirement, Singh said he was asked to comment on the presumptive loss figure in the CAG report following the just concluded spectrum auction which fetched "much much less" amount in comparison to the presumptive loss figures.

PTI

11. sasi

sasi Senior Member Senior Member

It doesn't matter wheather it's 100cr or 1.76 lakh cr. Instead of issue , A$$ medias making it as a big fuss.
    ~
    100 cr advertisement seems to working for congra$$ !
    ~
    will it work on mango man minds ?

12. iNDiAN.96

iNDiAN.96 Nationalist Senior Member

Tomorrow even CAG office peon will come out and say there is no loss in 2G. :truestory:

13. Decklander

Decklander New Member

This whole issue of spectrum reauction was designed to fail from the begining. This was an act written, directed, acted and produced by congress. First they did not sell the entire spectrum than they kept a very high reserve price for this unattractive 900Mhz spectrum as 1800Mhz spectrum was not auctioned. Than they ensured that due to this high reserve price only few operators are able to bid and the reduced number of bidders ensured less bidding and a poor auction price.
    After doing this, congress comes to party with R P Singh. GOI has accepted in SC that they did not auction the whole spectrum which was cancelled as per SC order. The price of this whole spectrum which was cancelled was 60k crores as calculated by CAG. The circles for all major cities remained unsold as the operators wanted 1800Mhz spectrum in these cities which was held back.

14. parijataka

parijataka Senior Member Senior Member

Manish Tiwari of Congress Party challenged to debate by retired CAG for trashing their work. Way to go gentlemen, good that our beureaucrats are showing politicians their place! IAS and other govt officers are some of the brightest people in the country and not all are corrupt, I'd trust them more than some slime ba** politician.

Retired CAG officers ready for debate on 2G spectrum report

NEW DELHI: Joining the controversy over the CAG report on 2G spectrum allocation, retired senior officers of the public auditor have expressed their keenness to debate the issue with government functionary on any platform.

"If the Minister and his colleagues having been outdone on television debates and still desire another public debate, we -- retired senior officers -- are willing for any debate on any platform of their choice. After all, their star performer is also a retired Indian Audit & Accounts Service officer," B S Gill, former deputy Comptroller and Auditor General (CAG) on behalf of senior retired officials, said in a statement.

The statement comes in response to a call by Information and Broadcasting Minister Manish Tewari who sought an open debate on the 2G spectrum report with Comptroller and Auditor General Vinod Rai.

A new twist to the controversy had been added earlier by retired CAG Director General R P Singh who had distanced himself from the report which had said that government suffered a presumptive loss of Rs 1.76 lakh crore on account of allocation of 2G spectrum without auction.

The CAG, the statement said, is too high and dignified a Constitutional authority to engage in any unseemly public debate.

"It is for good reasons that the founding fathers of our Constitution have compared his (CAG) position to that of a Supreme Court judge. Even when Ministers preferring to ignore Constitutional decorum, make such unreasonable statements, we would never advise the CAG to be a party to such an extraordinary impropriety," Gill said.

Noting that government finding CAG reports uncomfortable was not a new phenomenon, he said, "never has there been such a strident attack in the media against the institution of the CAG. To prop up a retired officer and have him make disparaging remarks against the professional practices of the department is a new low."

15. VIP

VIP Ultra Nationalist Senior Member

16. GPM

GPM Tihar Jail Banned

1. RP Singh was NOT the CAG, but a senior official.

2. Report was submitted under his signatures.

3. He opened his mouth fully one year after his retirement.

It was open to Singh to not put his signatures to the report. He could have made a noting on the file clearly supporting his thesis of no loss. Last come to last, he could have resigned. He did nothing of that. If he is sachcha then he ran away from the truth when his resistance could have mattered.

17. Ray

There is something rotten going on.

I read in one of the newspaper that some Dy CAGs have taken on the challenge of an open debate on the 2G affair.

This country is going down the tube it appears!

Crooked politics and feathering of one's nest is our bane!

18. nrj

nrj Stars and Ambassadors Stars and Ambassadors

This is a very fundamental battle. Politicians want to make it clear that CAG can not have role in policy formation. And it is right, minus unfair practices like the favors shown by Raja. Bubble of estimated figure busted long ago.

Sent via Tapatalk from a galaxy far far away