Foreign women tourists think Indians have colonial attitude

Discussion in 'Politics & Society' started by Bangalorean, Jun 26, 2012.

1. Bangalorean

Bangalorean Stars and Ambassadors Stars and Ambassadors

Nothing we don't know really, just a confirmation of things we already know.

No doubt the same section of [email protected] who use Ch!nki, Madrasi, and other similar words.

Foreign women tourists think Indians have colonial attitude - The Times of India

ejazr, afako and Mad Indian like this.
  3. Kunal Biswas

Kunal Biswas Member of the Year 2011 Moderator

Article is a non sense..

maomao likes this.
  4. Bangalorean

On the contrary, I feel it has the ring of truth to it. I say this by personal observation and experience. :)

afako, mki, Illusive and 2 others like this.
  5. Sakal Gharelu Ustad

Sakal Gharelu Ustad Detests Jholawalas Moderator

^^100% correct.

prateikf and afako like this.
  6. Blackwater

Blackwater Veteran Member Veteran Member

no its true

north Indians r more impress with fair colour

Theresa Price, a college student from Britain said, "Most people do tour North India because of the Taj Mahal, but it is steeped in cultural prejudices. The usual problems foreign women face like constant staring and eve-teasing is most rampant here."

This part is correct

i my self not comfortable taking my wife or female member of my family to palika bazaar or any other old delhi place

7. Ray

Ray The Chairman Defence Professionals Moderator

How is that colonial attitude?

Kunal Biswas and maomao like this.
  8. Bangalorean

The headline is probably nonsense... :)

Kunal Biswas, ejazr and W.G.Ewald like this.
  9. Mad Indian

Mad Indian Proud Bigot Veteran Member Senior Member

Thinking that Fair skin is Superior is self hatred from Colonial Rule which reflects our Colonial Mentality. Think about it .

Rage and Razor like this.
  10. pmaitra

pmaitra Moderator Moderator

You are grossly misinformed, and also prejudiced, w.r.t. the term Madrasi.

How is that offensive? If it were, wouldn't the term Bangalorean be offensive as well?

maomao likes this.
  11. Mad Indian

Actually, he is right

For instance even the term Blacks is not offensive if used in proper context;)

It does not matter what word is used, but what matters is in what context it is used:)

12. Bangalorean

Come on, you know better than to make such comparisons. :)

We have had this discussion before. Madrasi has usually been associated with derogatory connotations. not to mention, the categorization "Madrasi" as it has been normally used, reeks of prejudice and ignorance. Bangalorean or Mumbaikar or Dilliwala or Keralaite or Rajasthani don't have that generalized ignorant categorization to them.

Therein lies the difference.

Razor and Mad Indian like this.
  13. amitkriit

amitkriit Senior Member Senior Member

Actually when it comes to "White Women" a certain impression has been created by the western media and Hollywood, that is sex-maniacs and cheap. So whenever a white woman appears people try to try their luck. I believe this has got less to do with skin color and more with the general perception. African women are harassed less because they are considered to be strong and dangerous.

maomao and KS like this.
  14. pmaitra

I beg to differ.

I would assume it has more to do with you interpreting it as a derogatory term. Even if one used the term Madrasi with no intention to offend, you would still be offended, because you want to be. Look within.

So, going back to my earlier question which both of you have avoided, Bangalorean is a derogatory term as well, isn't it?

maomao likes this.
  15. Mad Indian

I would say it is 50% true.

But one thing I cant agree with the article is that the Skin Colour inferiority complex is a Pan India phenomenon. But the Article says its more in North India. But the reason for NOrth India being so prejudiced has more to do with their racism:nod:

Bollocks

16. Mad Indian

If you think Bangalorean is an offensive term, Bangalorean would not be using it as his handle;)

Besides, we dont find the Term Bangalorean offensive as it has never been used as a derogatory slur.

17. Bhadra

Bhadra Defence Professionals Defence Professionals Senior Member

Every one South of Vindhyachal or MP is a Madrasi. Well that is because they were all once part of Madras province under East India Company. Similarly every one in North is / was Bihari or Bhaya.

18. Mad Indian

No one is asking about the origin of that word. The way it is used is what is being discussed It is more often used as a derogatory term by racist North Indians-Fact

19. Bangalorean

You don't need to "go back to the earlier question", simply because I never "avoided it". Read my reply. I told you that Bangalorean is not a derogatory term. If you "beg to differ", that does not mean I have "avoided your question" - on the contrary, I very clearly answered it. :)

I can't believe you are still on this. :( Tell me this - does it make sense when an imbecile calls someone hailing from Cochin or Bangalore or Hyderabad as a "Madrasi"? Does is make sense when he says that his manager speaks "Madrasi language"? Is the aforementioned individual an imbecile or not?

You really want to place that individual on the same plane as someone who calls a person hailing from Bangalore, a "Bangalorean"? Really? :wave:

20. Apollyon

Apollyon Führer Senior Member

Most here (Delhi) dont know the meaning of "habsi" ... i myself thought it means a "fat person" and same is the case for others ... :lol:
    Same goes for other words such as -----i (i got to know what it really means during a Drama performance during my college fest, it means prostitute) and Madrasi (it's not meant to be offensive, usually used to describe a South Indian, nothing to do with skin color or other complextion) ... :)
    -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

So Bangalorean, what problem do you have with North Indian's ... were you being overshadowed by a person from Northern India at work, or your Boss is a North Indian whom you cant stand, or your lost your first love to a North Indian ....????

Last edited: Jun 26, 2012
  21. pmaitra

See, you admitted it. It lies in the word 'we.' So it is entirely your interpretation, and you cannot blame others for your misunderstanding.

So you find Madrasi offensive, but not Bangalorean.

Even Dilliwalah can be offensive, as much as otherwise.

My point exactly.

A Telugu person could be from southern Andhra Pradesh, but he would still be a Madrasi, because he hails from the erstwhile Madras Presidency.

Here is a map, to clear the cobwebs amongst many. I am pretty sure many people from the city of Madras, now Chennai, have no idea what Madrasi means.

[​IMG]