Foreign aid isn't foreign. It's American

Discussion in 'Americas' started by Ray, Mar 5, 2011.

1. Ray

Ray The Chairman Defence Professionals Moderator

Apr 17, 2009
    There is no doubt that the US gives much in foreign aid.

Yet, those receiving it rarely show gratitude or even acknowledge it so.

The reasons are not far to see.

First, the US does not 'showcase' it adequately, notwithstanding that they are the best in business in PR publicity. Their diplomats and reps, possibly without realising it, give the impression that the US is revisiting 'the Whiteman's burden' in true Kiplingesque style.

Secondly, in most of the aid, there is moral hectoring and strings attached which dilutes the goodness of the US.

The Republicans are guiltier than the Democrats in projecting the the refrain of the 'Whiteman's burden' as exampled by Rep. Kay Granger recent glowing with pride when she told the Congressional Quarterly that foreign aid, “received the third largest percentage of cuts out of the 12 Appropriations subcommittees. The reductions made to my section of the bill are a good start. As long as I am chairwoman of the State and Foreign Operations Subcommittee, I will ensure that our foreign aid is not used as a stimulus bill for foreign countries.”

Though Michael Gerson, former speechwriter for President George W. Bush, words, “No one can reasonably claim that the budget crisis exists because America spends too much on bed nets and AIDS drugs... The main initiatives on malaria and AIDS were created under Republican leadership. If the goal of House Republicans is to squander the Republican legacy on global health, they are succeeding” bring comfort.

Pulitzer Prize-winning American poet Archibald MacLeish statement, “There are those, I know, who will say that the liberation of humanity, the freedom of man and mind, is nothing but a dream. They are right. It is the American dream” truly indicates the ideals of American philosophy that is being cast asunder by narrow minded people who basically cannot reconcile having a Black President take the credit.

Not that President Obama warms the cockles of my heart!