For those who use RIP on DFI

blank_quest

Country flag
A cockroach is not aware of its own existence.

And since it is a known truism that ignorance is bliss, a life as a cockroach would probably be far more blissful than life as a human.
How can one be "Blissful" without being "aware" ? :notsure: :confused:

venkat

Ram naam satya hai should be used instead?!!! we complicate everything right from LCA to a simple obituary!!!! mayans should have predicted dooms day correctly !!!:frusty:

W.G.Ewald

Defence Professionals/ DFI member of 2
Professional
It is the age old trick of the clergy of all religions and some even now impart scriptures in a language unknown to adherents.

In Catholic churches, the language used to be Latin. People chanted in that language without knowing a fig about Latin.

Till of late, the Bible used Olde English - thy, thine, knowest, etc.

In short, it is the clergy that converted the spiritual into the temporal for their own pre-eminence.

That is why I wrote that Religion is cold!
I was brought up with the King Jame's Bible. To me the language is compelling and not cryptic. It is the New English Bible that leaves me cold.

Psalm 23 (King James Version)

23 The Lord is my shepherd; I shall not want.

2 He maketh me to lie down in green pastures: he leadeth me beside the still waters.

3 He restoreth my soul: he leadeth me in the paths of righteousness for his name's sake.

4 Yea, though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death, I will fear no evil: for thou art with me; thy rod and thy staff they comfort me.

5 Thou preparest a table before me in the presence of mine enemies: thou anointest my head with oil; my cup runneth over.

6 Surely goodness and mercy shall follow me all the days of my life: and I will dwell in the house of the Lord for ever.
As to the original post, the repetition of "RIP" as it relates to the Roman Church probably becomes superficial and almost meaningless in a non-Christian forum..

Ray

The Chairman
Professional
I was brought up with the King Jame's Bible. To me the language is compelling and not cryptic. It is the New English Bible that leaves me cold.

Psalm 23 (King James Version)

As to the original post, the repetition of "RIP" as it relates to the Roman Church probably becomes superficial and almost meaningless in a non-Christian forum..
I presume the 'unusual' adds to it being mystic and that appeals.

Imagine a existence that is simple and straight without any surprises. Would be boring and one would lose the zest. Add something mysterious to the existence and it sprites up the interest.

Just a thought.

Ray

The Chairman
Professional
How can one be "Blissful" without being "aware" ? :notsure: :confused:
Could it be like the case of people buying things because of the brand names and not being aware that it was made in China.

No offence meant, but someone gifted me an expensive brand of chocolates on my birthday and just out of curiosity I read the label's fine print and found that it was made in China. I just junked it since those were the days of the reports of milk of China being mixed with melamine or something like that.

In fact, I do not buy any food products made in China ever since.

W.G.Ewald

Defence Professionals/ DFI member of 2
Professional
In the event of the news of my death, De mortuis nihil nisi bonum may be used in lieu of requiescat in pace .

chase

Tihar Jail
Banned
So this Hindoo curmudgeon complains about RIP but offers nothing in lieu of the phrase? The real bug up his ass is conversions to Christianity, if you read the blog.

However, you might look at this link.

Hindu Quotations for Condolence

And three scripture quotes from the despised Abrahamic faiths.

Isaiah 43:2 When you pass through the waters, I will be with you; and through the rivers, they shall not overwhelm you; when you walk through fire you shall not be burned, and the flame shall not consume you.

Matthew 5:4 Blessed are those who mourn, for they shall be comforted.

2 Corinthians 1:3–4 Blessed be the God and Father of our Lord Jesus Christ, the Father of mercies and God of all comfort, who comforts us in all our affliction, so that we may be able to comfort those who are in any affliction, with the comfort with which we ourselves are comforted by God.
Om Shantih Shantih

Shanti Mantras always end with three utterances of word "Shanti" which means "Peace". The Reason for uttering three times is for calming and removing obstacles in three realms which are:
"Physical" or Adhi-Bhautika,
"Divine" or Adhi-Daivika and
"Internal" or Adhyaatmika
According to the scriptures of Hinduism sources of obstacles and troubles are in these three realms.
Physical or Adhi-Bhautika realm can be source of troubles/obstacles coming from external world, such as from wild animals, people, natural calamities etc.
Divine or Adhi-Daivika realm can be source of troubles/obstacles coming from extra-sensory world of spirits, ghosts, deities, demigods/angels etc.
Internal or Adhyaatmika realm is source of troubles/obstacles arising out of ones own body and mind, such as pain, diseases, laziness, absent-mindedness etc.

These are called "Tapa-Traya" or three classes of troubles. When Shanti mantras are recited, obstacles from these realms are believed to be pacified.
In hindu philosophy death is basically a reboot.While saying this mantra one hopes that the atma or soul is able to realize the true nature or brahman.
Since knowing the true nature equals to end of all suffering and the cycle of rebirth:
These are called "Tapa-Traya" or three classes of troubles. When Shanti mantras are recited, obstacles from these realms are believed to be pacified.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shanti_Mantra

Last edited:

panduranghari

People use the term bhagwan unki atma ko shanti dey ( May God grant the deceased soul peace) to express grief.
Sir,

Shanti is different from Peace in this context.

Its just another term which is wrongly used. Its a non translatable Sanskrit term.

Shanti equates to Moksha in Hindu philisophy and Nirvana in Buddhist philosophy.

There is nothing equivalent in christianity.

Latest Replies

Global Defence

New threads

Articles