For Kashmiri Hindus and Muslims, Shivratri bridges a gap

Discussion in 'Politics & Society' started by ejazr, Feb 20, 2012.

1. ejazr

ejazr Stars and Ambassadors Stars and Ambassadors

For Kashmiri Hindus and Muslims, Shivratri bridges a gap | TwoCircles.net

Jammu : As bells tolled in the temples of Lord Shiva Monday, what emerged was a heartening story of healing wounds between Hindus and Muslims - wounds inflicted by years of insurgency in Jammu and Kashmir.

For the Hindus, better known as Kashmiri Pandits, Shivratri is the biggest festival on the calendar. And a scene that played out repeatedly this year in areas dominated by them was Muslims embracing and wishing their Hindu friends.

Some were overwhelmed by the gesture of Kashmiri Muslims who travelled long distances to meet them in their resettlement township Jagti, on the outskirts of Jammu, in the rain and freezing temperatures.

"I couldn't believe my eyes that it was Arshad, my childhood friend, who came to meet me on this big day of ours," said Kuldeep Raina.

"Trust me, I am the happiest person today. It seems nothing has changed between us in all these years," Kuldeep told IANS.

Both Arshad Hussain and Kuldeep belong to village Akoor, near Mattan in Anantnag district of south Kashmir, some 60 km north of Srinagar. But due to militancy, Kuldeep had to leave for a camp in Jagti years ago.

Arshad said: "I knew Kuldeep was living here and I thought there could be no better day than this festival when I should visit my friend."

For Kashmiri Hindus, nightlong prayers at home are followed by a visit to the temple on Shivratri. They also host a feast for friends the next day, known as Salam.

Until militancy broke out in 1989, it was common for Kashmiri Pandits to host lunches for their Muslim friends and neighbours. The Muslims used to look forward to delicacies like fish and mutton balls.

But all that changed after community members migrated to Jammu and other parts of the country.

More than 350,000 Kashmiri Pandits had come out of the valley, many of whom are still settled in Jammu. The Pandits have since suffered from a sense of injustice and persecution.

But the anger against militants and their sympathisers whom the Pandits blame for the forced life in exile - as Kashmiri Pandit leaders like Ashwani Churngoo call it - seems to have subsided, going by the sentiment among community members.

For instance, Mushtaq Ahmad waited for a Kashmiri Pandit family outside Ranishewar temple, housing an icon of Lord Shiva, in the rain, just to hug his friends and congratulate them.

Mushtaq, who is a government employee, went to the home of his friend Sushil Kaul in Janipur, but was told by neighbours that the family had gone to the temple. He headed straight for the shrine.

When Sushil and Mushtaq sighted each other, they couldn't stop embracing. Tears rolled down their cheeks, retelling the story of two friends being back together on this "bor doh" or dig day.

Perhaps what made a difference this year was that many Kashmiri Pandit youths could go back to the valley after being specially recruited under the Prime Minister's relief and rehabilitation package programme.

Community members surmised that the measure may have gone a long way in helping bring down the walls of mistrust and encouraging the two communities to reverse the clock to their good old days when they shared each other's joys and sorrows.

Arshad and Kuldeep would certainly testify to that after a meal partaken together Monday afternoon.

Yusuf and maomao like this.
  3. Mr.Ryu

Mr.Ryu Regular Member

Hindus and Muslims have never had the problem it was the Political class that trigger the rift and the radicals on both side taking forward and the Innocent INDIANS being killed

The Messiah likes this.
  4. ejazr

Its good to see the rehab package helping atleast some Pandits coming back into the valley. Obviously more needs to be done, but the first steps are being taken.

5. Galaxy

Galaxy Elite Member Elite Member

Most of the Kashmiri Muslims are real Edited. They killed thousand of Hindus and threw 5,00,000-10,00,000 out of Valley region. Many of them are Pro puki.

This twocircles.net is Muslim biased sited and make false and mostly pro-Muslims news which highlight +ve view on Islam

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 20, 2012
    Mad Indian and maomao like this.
  6. Mad Indian

Mad Indian Proud Bigot Veteran Member Senior Member

The biggest problem we Indians have is our OSTRITCH attitude!!! We never accept a problem as a problem......:rofl::rofl: hope you catch my meaning.........:tea::tea::peace::peace:

[MOD: Edited expletive in quote]

Galaxy likes this.
  7. ejazr

8. Galaxy

Still, Kashmiri Muslims are b@@@@@s.

99% Hindus were thrown out of Kashmir. Thousands were killed merciless. A 2 year kid was not spared by cutting his hands. 100's of Hindus were raped in just 2 days.

and now making such rubbish thing by making with symbolic presence ? Either you think, Others are fool or trying to be ignorant.

99% Hindus were forced to leave Kashmir and living in refugee camp in Jammu to Delhi. Those who did (read Kashmiri Muslims) all such autocratic are living in same place. Now making this shameless joke ?? Hell with this sickularist country and shameless Media. It can happen only in India.

Last edited: Feb 20, 2012
    Mad Indian likes this.
  9. Ray

Ray The Chairman Defence Professionals Moderator

Kashmiri Muslims were a very tolerant lot and those not in Srinagar, Baramullah and Sopore are still tolerant to a great extent.

Ever since the Jamaait and Saudi money has poured in, the radicalisation has taken place.

One should read the poem of the Sufi Saint Shah Gafoor to understand how much he draws on Hinduism and their Gods to draw on and enlarge the scope of his piety.

10. balai_c

balai_c Regular Member

Will this heal the trauma, caused by what could be the single largest mass exodus in the history of independent India? Can such "feel good" news make even a slightest bit of difference in the lives of the survivors of the hapless refugees?

parijataka and Mad Indian like this.
  11. Ray

It will heal nothing till the fundamentalists are not thrown out and Kashmir returns to its Sufism in real earnest.

We must take these feel good stuff for what they are worth.

They also make, what in newspaper parlance is called, a good copy!

Mad Indian and Godless-Kafir like this.
  12. Mad Indian

What the hell are you talking about.... there was no Kashmir pundit problem:)pound::pound: ) Its all a conspiracy by the Safron Brigade... Sickulars are doing a great job protecting our integrity...( :pound::pound: )

Dont you dare accuse them of being Impartial... there is no such thing as social injustice in India( i think this statement qualifies as the Joke of the year)

parijataka likes this.
  13. Yusuf

Yusuf GUARDIAN Administrator

It seems that others have more problem with Kashmiri Muslims than the Kashmiri Pandits themselves.

Feel good, good copy news, anything that goes an inch towards reconciliation, integration and harmony should be welcomed.

Some will go any length to pick out instances that promote such ideas, some will try to do the opposite and try to incite.

14. Ray

I have been in Kashmir from childhood and have been there for the major part of my professional life and in various capacities.

I have seen Kashmir 'evolve' so to say.

In the earlier days, you could not feel that there was any difference in Kashmir. Life was very normal and they, being Sufis, were a very tolerant and calm people that includes Kashmiri Hindus and Muslims.

The problem started with the hanging of Maqbool Butt.

Of course corruption, non existent administration was also a great negative influence and Kashmir has been the victim of these maladies ever since Independence.

Kashmiri Pandits are furious about having to leave their home and hearth. Let there be no second thought about that. It would be disingenuous to believe it is not so.

While these acts of 'reconciliation' are there, yet they are basically cosmetic and have no intrinsic value. It is the same as the politicians having Iftar parties. It is good that such things happen, but the media conveniently forgets that there are many of the majority who also do these acts for their Muslim brethern but these acts don't find its way in the news since they don't make good copy!

Do you find any article that speaks of the good that the Army does in these Insurgency and terrorist hit areas? No. It does not make good copy.

But you do hear of AFSPA and how it is emasculating the people et al in the same vein where people gleefully attribute tribal rivalry and it just happens to be in the NE to AFSPA when it has nothing to do with the AFSPA or the Army,

This attitude that the politicians and media have adopted all through, has only helped divided people into niches and indoctrinated them by continuous barrage spouting clichés and stereotypes that have no relevance to the issue!

15. Galaxy

Imagine a reversal situation.......

Majority of Hindus of Karnataka start killing Muslims and start throwing Muslims outside the state. Thousands of Muslims were raped and killed. No reason, Nothing. 99% Muslims now live as refugee in other states but not in Karnataka. State and Center Government also don't help the Muslims who living in refugee camp. Then someone from Karnataka celebrate Eid with any 2-3 Muslims and all news media highlight it.

How a common Muslims will feel then ?? This situation is worst situation than the example i gave.

It's something like throwing salt on wound and laughing on their situation. This news is same. It's insult to Kashmiri Hindu pundits.

parijataka, Mad Indian and balai_c like this.
  16. Galaxy

So many Temples were destroyed. So many Hindus were killed including newly born kids. But Media don't give importance to that.

Now, Media showing this news when 99% kashmiri Pundits living as refugee and working as 2nd class citizen outside valley in own country ?? What a Shame.

Mr.Ryu and Mad Indian like this.
  17. Mad Indian

Whenever we raise a voice against something fu(ked up in this country, people say we are dividing the nation(WTF)... Al we ask is to treat the disease and not its symptoms.... This Ostrich problem of our country cant be solved by anything... But If for voicing the dissent amongst us, we are to be called dividers, Let us be Dividers NO PROBLEM with that...!!!!! I am an Indian and I am Used to Hypocrisy... Its not something new for Me....

18. Bhadra

Bhadra Defence Professionals Defence Professionals Senior Member

Brig,

It is so painful to see the destroyed temples and idols in the valley . Except for Sankaracharya and may Kshir Bawani, all village and remote area important shrines , lingas and idols stand mutilated as of today.

Khsir Bhawani got saved probably because of one time top worker and leader of HM called Hamid Gada (fisherman's father continued to be in employment of the temple even after he was done. Otherwise all other historic monuments have been desecrated.

Even if not being a Hindu one feels bad about it. Bemiyan was international media object but our own media or the international ones are guilty of hiding the facts of Kashmiri Muslims have committed on Hindu object in J&K.

Galaxy likes this.
  19. Mad Indian

Leave it Galaxy... Hypocrisy never ends in our Country... We are the oppressors and they are the oppressed(heck thats the term they use for when demanding a reservation).... I am done with this.... i am supposed to accept the thousands of killings, if the killers offer me a chance to live in my own place as a symbol of good hope....

Galaxy likes this.
  20. Ray

I knew of Hamid Gada.

He was a regular at the temple. especially during the festival.

Though he visited the temple incognito.

The Kashmiris still continue to be Sufis. It is the new pan Islamic movement that has brought fundamentalist to the fore!

I would say that the manner in which the politicians of today are hell bent on dividing people is what worries me and the manner in which the Indian mind has been indoctrinated into this trend is very dangerous.

People have started moving to the boundaries chalked by the politicians when in actuality a large majority are still quite sane!

Horrifying is what I can say!

This glorifying or demonising of people depending on which side of the divide you have been pushed into by the indoctrination of the divide organised by the politicians, media and the religious organisations is what will destroy this nation, already destroyed once before.

21. Bhadra

Bhadra Defence Professionals Defence Professionals Senior Member