For India, Ghost of Planned Economy are causing starvation

pmaitra

Brush up your reading skills then.
Learn to write first.

Personal consumption is different from storing for selling in the market. Those are different things. Read what you yourself wrote. You are trying to hide your ignorance, by claiming you said it. You never did, because you did not know.

Obviously I did not write it in Bangla but it meant exactly that you pointed out later. Read again if you do not understand.

Storage decision is one of optimization. Cost of rice next year - spending money on storage cost > cost of rice produced today.... goes into decision making. And more often in the case of Indian farmers the choice is later.

You are the one who has brushed under the carpet your ignorance about the marketing of perishable goods.
Yes, it is, and guess what, people have seen, for ages, that it is more profitable to store harvested rice for one year before selling them. Hope that satisfies your confusion.

pmaitra

That is what I said at the start of thread, you are far from reality.

I know it because I have worked on the fields. My family grows and stores it. That is why I mentioned the first hand knowledge.
What makes you think I have not worked in the field? And what fields have you worked on? Rice fields? If that was true, you would have known about the new rice - old rice thingy.

Anyway, prima facie, I'll take your word for it.

Mad Indian

Proud Bigot
Country flag
Where have I accused anyone? What are you talking about?

Let me clarify. I was just saying landless labourers are at most rick, because, they do not own the land, and therefore, their only income is during harvest time. Perhaps it is different in TN? Do they pay all year round for these harvesters? Let me know.
well most of the areas I see here are cultivated with one crop or the other throughout the year. Ask any farmer what is the reason for his not very high profits , he will say it is the high Labour charges. For instance, I do know that for a single day we pay a labour charge of 200-300Rs./day

Ray

The Chairman
Professional
That is what I said at the start of thread, you are far from reality.

I know it because I have worked on the fields. My family grows and stores it. That is why I mentioned the first hand knowledge.
Stores what?

Rice?

Where exactly is your land holdings?

I have no hesitation to say that I have not been a labour to plant or till.

But it is not that I do not know the realities.

I am an accredited National Rural Development Monitor.

pmaitra

well most of the areas I see here are cultivated with one crop or the other throughout the year. Ask any farmer what is the reason for his not very high profits , he will say it is the high Labour charges. For instance, I do know that for a single day we pay a labour charge of 200-300Rs./day
Indeed the cost of migrant labour will be high, because, they won't come over and work, if they did not get enough money to travel, live in a different state and still make some money.

In a way, this will push the price of grains up, and so there you go again, more money trickling down to the economically weaker sections.

Market forces at work. Pretty neat, ain't it?

Ray

The Chairman
Professional
I believe you are from AP.

Which place in AP is one crop?

Adilabad, Nizamabad, Medak, Rangareddy?

Last edited:

Ray

The Chairman
Professional
cost of migrant labour depends on the season and the crop and also on what other development projects are going on in the area!

Sakal Gharelu Ustad

Detests Jholawalas
Ambassador
Learn to write first.

Personal consumption is different from storing for selling in the market. Those are different things. Read what you yourself wrote. You are trying to hide your ignorance, by claiming you said it. You never dd, because you did not know.

Yes, it is, and guess what, people have seen, for ages, that it is more profitable to store harvested rice for one year before selling them. Hope that satisfies your confusion.
It is pointless to argue with you when you do not take the basic points. What does "good to eat" mean? It was written in some context and why would I call it good to eat if I did not know the fact. I do not argue pointlessly to prove my point. Follow the context of debate:

-price of rice rises with age
-Storage is costly
-Farmers sell most of the produce
-Keep the produce and let it age for personal consumption(including my family)

And so farmers sell it because it is costly to store.

And you are simple trying to save your ass by repeating rice...rice...rice... I clarified the point on rice, while you are still quiet on perishable goods.

Mad Indian

Proud Bigot
Country flag
Indeed the cost of migrant labour will be high, because, they won't come over and work, if they did not get enough money to travel, live in a different state and still make some money.

In a way, this will push the price of grains up, and so there you go again, more money trickling down to the economically weaker sections.

Market forces at work. Pretty neat, ain't it?
Dude, the migrant labours are asking the same amount as the indegenous workers. But the thing is there is no indegenous labour available for various reasons, one of them being MNREG.

But the profits dont go to farmers because of various reasons, one them being the low support price given to them by the govt, since this rice is going to be again given at a very low cost at the PDS. What we are seeing is simply the loss of the profits through various holes of the bureaucracy.

And the PDS shops giving the rice for free means another thing, artificial lowering of the prices of the food crops, since the demand is met by the govt at a low cost. This is what I have understood in this matter

Ray

The Chairman
Professional
What does "good to eat" mean? It was written in some context and why would I call it good to eat if I did not know the fact
For rice, it means it should not become a goo.

For vegetables, it means it should not taste inspid as does the cold storage stuff.

For millet, it should not have a musty smell.

and so on!

simple trying to save your ass by repeating rice...rice...rice..
It is the lifeblood of everyone to the East right upto Japan and even beyond.

It is the staple where God is kind to give a bountiful rain for a bountiful harvest.

Those in the rain shadow areas live on bjara jowar and things like that! ;)

And a whole lot of chillies just to salivate! ;)

Check your cuisine and compare the variety!

Last edited:

Sakal Gharelu Ustad

Detests Jholawalas
Ambassador
What makes you think I have not worked in the field? And what fields have you worked on? Rice fields? If that was true, you would have known about the new rice - old rice thingy.

Anyway, prima facie, I'll take your word for it.
You did not follow the context of debate and hence the confusion. Why would I call 3 years old rice to be good if I did not know the fact??

I said you are far from reality and not that you have not worked on fields. You might or might not have.

Ray said:
Stores what?

Rice?

Where exactly is your land holdings?

I have no hesitation to say that I have not been a labour to plant or till.

But it is not that I do not know the realities.

I am an accredited National Rural Development Monitor.
We grow both rice and wheat.

The land holdings are pretty small like any average farmer. If we did not have a joint family, farming would be a useless exercise. Hope that clarifies.

Mad Indian

Proud Bigot
Country flag
I believe you are from AP.

Which place in AP is one crop?

Adilabad, Nizamabad, Medak, Rangareddy?
I am from Tamil Nadu. from Tirunelveli district, my home town is Puliangudi.

And its not just the agricultural labour which is at shortage but the whole unskilled section of labour as well

For instance, for construction workers, the Superviser labourer, whom we call as Kothanar in Tamil recieves Rs.400/day and the Sithal, the junior manual worker recieves Rs. 200/ day

pmaitra

It is pointless to argue with you when you do not take the basic points. What does "good to eat" mean? It was written in some context and why would I call it good to eat if I did not know the fact. I do not argue pointlessly to prove my point. Follow the context of debate:
Then don't argue. You don't even have a point. All this started from me claiming that many farmers themselves store the grain. And you posted a link about fruit producers in Maharashtra. Fruits and rice are different things. Rice and wheat are staple to India, do you understand that, or not? Perhaps, fruits are more important to you.

Now go back and read post #20, and try to comprehend.

-price of rice rises with age
Yes, I told you so.

-Storage is costly
We all know that.

-Farmers sell most of the produce
Produce, yes, grains, also yes, but produce have the urgency to be sold quickly, not grains.

-Keep the produce and let it age for personal consumption(including my family)
Ok.

And so farmers sell it because it is costly to store.
What do you mean by 'it?' Rice, wheat, or mangoes, pineapples? Be specific.

And you are simple trying to save your ass by repeating rice...rice...rice... I clarified the point on rice, while you are still quiet on perishable goods.
Yes, rice - rice - rice, because rice, along with wheat, are staple to India. If your staple is fruits, then you can kiss my ass.

pmaitra

You did not follow the context of debate and hence the confusion. Why would I call 3 years old rice to be good if I did not know the fact??

I said you are far from reality and not that you have not worked on fields. You might or might not have.

The land holdings are pretty small like any average farmer. If we did not have a joint family, farming would be a useless exercise. Hope that clarifies.
Where did you say 3 year old rice is good? Please quote yourself. Perhaps I missed it.

pmaitra

And its not just the agricultural labour which is at shortage but the whole unskilled section of labour as well

For instance, for construction workers, the Superviser labourer, whom we call as Kothanar in Tamil recieves Rs.400/day and the Sithal, the junior manual worker recieves Rs. 200/ day
OT:

Look at the positive side.

If lot of North Indians go to TN to work, then people in TN will learn to speak Hindi, and finally, we can have Hindi as the national language. :troll:

Just kidding. :D

Ray

The Chairman
Professional
Zunka and Bakhri are so popular!

Shiv Sena had stalls selling it for :inr: 1 I believe!

Last edited:

Ray

The Chairman
Professional

No it does not clarify.

District please!

Mad Indian

Proud Bigot
Country flag
OT:

Look at the positive side.

If lot of North Indians go to TN to work, then people in TN will learn to speak Hindi, and finally, we can have Hindi as the national language. :troll:

Just kidding. :D
What I was trying to do is make a point that being rich does not make the rich guilty of the poor's misery ;)

And I side with Sakal in this debate. He is right, storage of the crops is not possible by small farmers because of cost concerns. He said that why in his very first post. This is so because the farmers have very small land holdings and hence the cost of the storage will be detrimental in their profits. This is not USA where the advanced stuff can be introduced while keeping the profits.

But if you two can stop abusing each other, I can like the posts better, from a fellow abuser :D

Last edited:

Ray

The Chairman
Professional

Tirunelveli district is predominantly an agricultural district. The district has mainly two cropping seasons, viz. Kar, the first crop (June to September) and Pishanam, the second crop (October to February).

I believe the cropping pattern of the district is essentially of the type characterising dry regions. It normally varies from taluk to taluk. Wet cultivation is essentially paddy cultivation and the major share of the gross cropped area is under one crop. In dry regions, diversified cropping patterns exist and no single crop claims a large share of the gross cropped area. Dry cultivation which characterises these regions is also basically millet and cash crop cultivation . Even in dry regions wherever water is available, it is the paddy crop that is sown by the farmers. Paddy occupies the largest area of cultivation, followed by cotton. Paddy is cultivated mainly in Tirunelveli, Palayamkottai, Tenkasi, Shencottai, Ambasamudram and Nanguneri Taluks.

Other crops grown in the district are cumbu, ragi, pulses, groundnut, gingelly, coconut, chillies and indigo. Portions of Sankarankoil Taluk have the rich, fertile black soil which are highly suitable for cotton cultivation. Factors such as type of soil, climatic conditions, irrigation facilities, etc., determine the cropping pattern in a region. Most of the rain fed areas are cultivated in both the seasons. Most of the crops are on the ground for three or four months except chillies and cotton which take more than five months.

(from my booklet)

Last edited:

Latest Replies

Global Defence

New threads

Articles