Footwear store in Geneva uses Buddha statue to hang shoes

Discussion in 'Politics & Society' started by I-G, Jun 26, 2009.

1. I-G

I-G Tihar Jail Banned

26 Jun 2009, 0004 hrs IST, Pranava K Chaudhary, TNN

PATNA: Sight-seeing in Switzerland does not leave a vacationer horrified, but Patna's Prabhat Choudhary, his wife and daughter were shocked to see a Buddha's statue at a footwear store in Geneva. (TOI Photo)
    Lord Buddha statue garlanded with a pair of shoes at a footwear shop in Geneva.

"We were strolling on shopping street when my 15-year-old daughter insisted that we got into 'Anne Fontaine', a designer footwear shop. There in the shop, we saw a 4-ft statue of Lord Buddha on the shelf displaying shoes and slippers, garlanded with a pair of shoes," Prabhat, a realtor, recalled.

The family was shocked. Prabhat's daughter, was furious. Though her parents were a bit frightened, she persuaded them to let her shoot the sight with her videocam. The girl, a student of Patna's prestigious Notre Dame Academy, accomplished her mission without anyone - the shop staff or the crowd of customers - knowing about it.

Back home, Prabhat has sent a letter to the ministry of external affairs, requesting it to take up the matter with Swiss authorities.

Footwear store in Geneva uses Buddha statue to hang shoes - India - The Times of India

3. Koji

Koji New Member

What a stupid situation. These people have no right to complain. It's a religious object in a western secular country: hence do whatever the hell you want with it.

4. Known_Unknown

Known_Unknown Devil's Advocate Stars and Ambassadors

India is the origin of Buddhism, and Indians venerate Lord Buddha. Wonder if this "western secular" country would have done the same to a statue of Jesus or Mary.

5. Daredevil

Daredevil On Vacation! Administrator

Which people doesn't have the right to complain?. In secular countries all the religious objects should be treated equally with respect. So, even in this case, the shoe shop should have shown respect to Buddha and not do such cheap things. If it were done on "Jesus", would the local people have agreed?.

Such comments coming from a person belonging to country which believes in Buddhism is quite strange.

6. Koji

Koji New Member

7. Singh

Singh Phat Cat Administrator

I agree with Koji, religious and national figures are not usually treated with the same amount of reverence as they are in Asian countries. There are Buddha themed night clubs in Europe, Ganesha imprinted apparel, Gandhi mocking cartoons etc.
    Not much India can do, nor should Indians go on a mindless rampage. I am sensing Mayawati, the dalit buddhist Chief Minister could play a role here :wink.

8. vish

vish Regular Member

And this deserves a thread?

9. johnee

johnee Elite Member Elite Member

Frankly, its disgusting. All people should have the basic courtesy of not disrespecting something that others pray. Period.

10. Flint

Flint Senior Member Senior Member

I can understand the culture shock. A garland of shoes is the worst form of insult in India.

Even I am not happy about this, but its their culture - very little we can do about it.

Besides, the Buddha statue is not consecrated, so I think its okay.

11. Koji

Koji New Member

My point is that even if this statue was destroyed in front of them, these people have no right to complain in a foreign country. If they do so, they are guilty of ignorance as well!

12. NikSha

NikSha Regular Member

Hypocrite too much? :sAni_babymonkey2:

Anyways, asking the ministry of external affairs to do something about a fu**ing garland of shoes is pretty stupid move. Only muslims are allowed to do that, esp. when someone creates cartoon out of you know who in some random country. Then it's a national shame. Else, like everyone said, let's just move-on, none of our business.

[/sarcasm] :sarcastic:

13. leonblack08

leonblack08 Respected Member

Actually India is not.Didn't you hear about the chaos,after an Indian film made the same mistake as you did.The origin is probably India and Nepal jointly.

14. leonblack08

leonblack08 Respected Member

Where does muslims come into all this? :confused:

15. Pintu

Pintu New Member

Leon while Nepal is birth place of Prince Siddhartha , crown prince of Shakya Kingdom now in Nepal, he was enlightened Bodhi and became Lord Buddha here in Gaya , Bihar in India,you are right in that sense when you judge the birth of Siddhartha as a Human being in Nepal and his incarnation of Lord Buddha in India as origin of Lord Buddha in both India and Nepal but in true KU is right in his argument, as Siddhartha became Lord Buddha here after enlightened with Bodhi (Knowledge) in India. So I consider , India is birth place of Lord Buddha while Nepal is birthplace of Prince Siddhartha.

The chaos originated in Nepal as Nepalese sentiment are connected with Lord Buddha as being birth place of Prince Siddhartha and I respect their sentiments.

Regards

16. NikSha

NikSha Regular Member

I am talking about the attitude of people in India. One religion deserves more noise over mindless issues than other.

A Buddha statue with garland of shoes is equally stupid issue to raise voice for, just like the danish cartoons.. even though neither affects anyone at this end of the globe. Let's treat everyone equally, shall we?

17. I-G

I-G Tihar Jail Banned

Violent protests are common in almost all the religions , list is really too big .

Clashes break out in Shfaram between Christians, Druze
    http://www.ynetnews.com/articles/0,7...732585,00.html

Thousands of Christians Riot, Protest Cartoon of Jesus Smoking Cigarette
    Jesus Cartoon: A Headline You Will Not Be Seeing In Today’s News TheScroogeReport

Convert or we will kill you, Hindu lynch mobs tell fleeing Christians
    Convert or we will kill you, Hindu lynch mobs tell fleeing Christians | World news | The Observer

Saatchi Ad Offends Hindus; Client Office Ransacked by Protesters
    Saatchi Ad Offends Hindus; Client Office Ransacked by Protesters | BNET Advertising Blog | BNET

Sikhs burn effigy of Gurmit Ram Rahim in Patiala,Amritsar
    PunjabNewsline.com - Sikhs burn effigy of Gurmit Ram Rahim in Patiala,Amritsar

Thousands of haredim protest in Jerusalem
    http://www.ynetnews.com/articles/0,7340,L-3737540,00.html

18. NikSha

NikSha Regular Member

I-G, I never said it isn't common in every religion (well, except Scientology I guess) out there. I am just saying that people like making noise about most insane issues only when it concerns a bigger religion in the region. Too bad for the little guys..

19. I-G

I-G Tihar Jail Banned

Its not about bigger religion or smaller religion , its just on the way International media wants to present it . Hardliners are there in every religion . some even have destroy places of worship but this doesnt means that those people are the real representative of that religion . In almost all the religions , The real majority is the silent majority .

20. NikSha

NikSha Regular Member

PHP:
    What are you talking about dude? Completely missing the point of my post.

Actually, nevermind, discussing religion will get us nowhere in the end. Now you are talking about international media, next it will be Indian media and then the media that completely ignores it.. etc. etc. Whatever. :blum3:

21. I-G

I-G Tihar Jail Banned

I m just saying about the role which normallymedia plays ,these days media means nothing but brainwashing .. real news would be some were in corner and on that too much masala .