Flipkart vs Amazon: Who won the Diwali online sale battle?

BATTLE FIELD

Battle Captain
The verdict: Flipkart improved vastly from its glitches-ridden event last year. But Amazon scored on both pricing and deliveries!

Two of India's largest ecommerce firms, Flipkart and Amazon, went head to head last week in a five-day festive blowout that caught the attention of shoppers across the country.

Their third competitor, Snapdeal, chose to not take them on directly but instead is running category sales on specific days.

There was lot of talk over which, between Flipkart and Amazon, came out ahead in terms of deals pricing, coped better with the added pressure of more deliveries or sold more products overall in the start of a season that gives them about a quarter of their sales.

The larger context to the story is that as Flipkart's Big Billion Days and Amazon's The Great Indian Festive Sale unfolded over the past week, it was clear that this year the online marketplaces had decided to tone down the level of discounts they were offering on their products, compared to last year.

An Economic Times article last week quoted two industry executives who said that the e-tailers were offering deep discounts only on gadgets that aren't sold too much offline or on last-season apparels.

This was obvious given the ruckus that their deep-discount strategy last year had created, with offline retailers threatening to sue them for predatory pricing and irate companies refusing to offer warranty on products purchased online. As well, ecommerce companies have of late seen their previously-nearly-unlimited funding tap starting to limit itself.

But within whatever was offered, the judgment between which website offered better discounts is a close call.

Anecdotal evidence online suggests both e-tailers put up their fair share of offers. So while Flipkart sold a Samsung Galaxy S5 at Rs 19,999 while Amazon sold a Micromax 43 inch LED TV for about Rs 24,000. Of course, there were also consumer complaints over how both had increased prices for specific products before offering discounts in some cases.

But a cursory perusal of a few articlescomparing their best deals (the articles in question discussed only gadgets) suggests that it was Amazon that perhaps tilted the scale a little in terms of deals offered.

A small online poll that garnered about 176 votes -- though admittedly not an ideal sample size -- also voted 53 percent in favour of Amazon offering the best Diwali offers, compared to 28 percent for Flipkart (Snapdeal and Paytm accounted for the rest).

Amazon had a clear advantage when it came to swift deliveries, and appeared to have seamlessly increased its logistics bandwidth to accommodate more orders. Liberally offering same-day and next-morning (even for orders placed the night before) deliveries, the e-tailer had a clear advantage.

Flipkart, which vastly upped its game, was satisfactory but a distant second to Amazon. (To cite personal experience, about 7 out of twelve products this writer ordered on Flipkart on October 13 were delivered as of yesterday). This was after it took several steps to boost its logistics by steps such as co-founder Sachin Bansal doubling up as delivery person to connect better with customers. During the sale itself, the company had warned customers about potential delays in orders due to the volume rush.

By hosting its sale only on its app, Flipkart would have gained an upper hand when it comes to app penetration -- as it believes the future of shopping is through mobiles (and within that through apps). By forcing users to migrate to it, Flipkart app clocked over 5 million downloads last week.

Amazon, which hosted its sale on its website as well, has been making steady progress there. Ahead of sale, a Reuters piece reported on how Amazon's India website had climbed several notches in analytics firm Alexa's website ranking to sixth most visited in India while Flipkart was fifth. This morning, a check shows the two have swapped places with Amazon now occupying fifth position.

The two companies are yet to report what revenues, or gross merchandise value, to be precise, they notched up last week. We will wait for those numbers to be in.

http://www.moneycontrol.com/news/bu...who-wondiwali-online-sale-battle_3668121.html

BATTLE FIELD

Battle Captain
so friends what are you shopping in Deepavali??
from
flipkart or amazon?

bose

Country flag
double Post... self delete...

------------------------------------------------------------

tarunraju

Sanathan Pepe
Mod
Country flag
I'll use Amazon because of anti-competitive practices by the Bansal clique. When they saw that foreign e-tailers like Amazon plan to make a big entry into the Indian market, they quickly started "moving" their pre-established userbase from the website to mobile apps, probably bluffing to them that a majority of people shop on their mobiles.

Bansals don't want people to have the convenience of comparing prices across multiple tabs in a web-browser, and switching between apps (walled-gardens) to compare prices is still cumbersome. Furthermore, 1 hour of browsing through the store on a desktop website is far more productive than that same 1 hour spent on a mobile app.

So while Amazon remained committed to desktop websites, Myntra went all-app, and now Flopkart and Snoopdeal are beginning to go all-app by restricting offers and choices to the app.

This, in my book, is anti-competitive behavior. Hence, I will shop on Amazon.

Illusive

Country flag
Never had a complaint with Flipkart's service. Snapdeal's packaging and delivery used to suck but seemed to have improved a bit. Never used Amazon.

I used flipkart app, it sucks compared to website on desktop. Website browsing on mobile sucks anyway.

brational

Country flag
Amazon services every PIN code in India (though they are item specific), hence they have access to rural markets. It is expected that Amazon will score big this Diwali.

indiatester

Country flag
I placed an order on Amazon for OnePlus 2 at midnight 12.30. It was delivered by 10.15 in the morning. Just 9 some hours gap. I was impressed.

Rashna

Country flag
I use Amazon, Flipkart, Ebay, Snapdeal, Jabong. I stopped using Myntra after it went app only. For me all of them have their pros and cons and i do some surveying at all these sites before purchasing from the cheapest site.
Amazon - for its one, two day delivery and same day delivery for some products , I am waiting for Amazon prime to start in India so we can save on their delivery charges.
Flipkart - It offers a Flipkart first membership at an annual charge of Rs.500 which means i get free delivery on select products and it is generally next day delivery.
Ebay - Most products become price competitive on ebay because there is no added delivery charges most times. Also their delivery schedules are pretty much on the target.
Snapdeal - Sudden drop in prices means buying products at huge discounts. They bought over JAVAS the logistics arm of Jabong and now they deliver products pretty fast. On the downside they sometimes do not deliver the advertised brand which is kind of disappointing.
Jabong - For its big discounts and quick delivery and decent inventory of products.

Vishwarupa

Country flag
My favorite is Myntra:cool3:

They are good with delivery, have good products & very responsive APP. I have stopped going to retail shops after downloading Myntra app.

Alien

I prefer Amazon, they deliver what has been promised, prompt and quick.

I had tried Flipkart, Snapdeal,eBay etc... their delivery timelines are pathetic and most of the time, one have to call up their pathetic call center to get the ordered items delivered.

Worst service which I have experienced so far is from PAYTM.

Latest Replies

Global Defence

New threads

Articles