Flag of Ireland and Symbolism

W.G.Ewald

Defence Professionals/ DFI member of 2
Professional
There was a question in another thread about the difference between the Mexican and Irish colors. My avatar has the colors of the Mexican flag.

The Flag of Ireland is green, white, and orange,

Symbolism
The green pale in the flag symbolises Irish republicanism dating back to the Society of United Irishmen in the 1790s.[13] The orange represents the minority who were supporters of King William III, who was of the House of Orange and originally the Stadtholder of the Netherlands, had defeated King James II and his predominantly Irish Catholic army[14] at the Battle of the Boyne in 1690. His title came from the Principality of Orange in the south of France that had been a Protestant bastion from the 16th century. It was included in the Irish flag in an attempt to reconcile the Orange Order in Ireland with the Irish independence movement.[citation needed] The white in the centre signifies a lasting truce between the two cultures and a living together in peace.[15] The flag, as a whole, is intended to symbolise the inclusion and hoped-for union of the people of different traditions on the island of Ireland, which is expressed in the Constitution as the entitlement of every person born in Ireland to be part of the independent Irish nation, regardless of ethnic origin, religion or political conviction.[16][17]
Flag of Ireland - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Mad Indian

Proud Bigot
Country flag
Cant you have your own photo as the Avatar Sir:yuno:?

W.G.Ewald

Defence Professionals/ DFI member of 2
Professional
Cant you have your own photo as the Avatar Sir:yuno:?
Can one do that? Yes.

Out of respect for the sensibilities of other DFI members, I don't.:)

For those with morbid curiosity, see FB.

pmaitra

Can one do that? Yes.

Out of respect for the sensibilities of other DFI members, I don't.:)

For those with morbid curiosity, see FB.
I will see you for the first time in person, when we meet. :)

Latest Replies

Global Defence

New threads

Articles