First week of Monsoon session washed out

Discussion in 'Politics & Society' started by Nicky G, Jul 24, 2015.

1. Nicky G

Nicky G Senior Member Senior Member

http://economictimes.indiatimes.com...edings-in-parliament/articleshow/48202037.cms

Comical and pathetic part - something one'd expect from AAP and not BJP:

Countering the opposition charge, the BJP members too raised slogans and got into heated exchanges with Congress MPs inside the House, after holding a protest against the opposition at the Parliament's main gate this morning.

I never thought I'd agree with the likes of JDU, here I agree entirely;

Sharad Yadav (JD-U) said it was "unprecedented" that the ruling party members have sat on a dharna. "Ruling parties, all over the world, have never sat on dharna ... Who are they asking (for help)? Is it the almighty," he said mockingly.
    A 'helpless' speaker. Why no suspensions?

Speaker Sumitra Mahajan angrily said "You don't want to raise issues...you don't want to take part in the proceedings" and adjourned the House for the day within five minutes after it had assembled.
    Earlier, apparently our PM had tried to 'charm' the opposition:

http://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/...ak-Parliament-logjam/articleshow/48195102.cms

All in all, its appalling that the government is this helpless against the most corrupt opposition that our nation has likely seen. They don't seem to have a clue what to do or are unwilling to do anything.

That's fine, its not like key bills critical to the economic progress of the nation are pending.

I personally don't care about the nonsense that goes on in the street or silly media shows, but if a government can't run the house even in the LS against a relatively tiny, utterly corrupt opposition, there is something truly to be concerned of.

Even Kejru has the guts to throw out the BJP members from his assembly.

Sakal Gharelu Ustad likes this.
  3. Sakal Gharelu Ustad

Sakal Gharelu Ustad Detests Jholawalas Moderator

Modi only picks fights he can win!! Seems like he cannot win this one!

Nicky G likes this.
  4. Nicky G

Then I shudder to think what he'll do if China were to attack or God forbid the crazy Pakis manage to orchestrate a terror attack.

5. Sakal Gharelu Ustad

I am not worried about military and defence. Doval and Parrikar know what to do.

6. Nicky G

Considering the state of OROP, LCA delays etc. and some recent developments in Afghanistan among others, I am concerned, but a discussion on that would derail this thread.

7. Sakal Gharelu Ustad

After looking at the financial implications, I would sit on OROP as well.

8. Nicky G

What's the implication? 2B USD? Fine, do it in phases, find another way, makes for terrible PR for a supposed nationalist government.

9. Sakal Gharelu Ustad

10. Nicky G

So thread derailed, oh well.

That's exorbitant. I doubt those calculation, but will go through it tomorrow. I think the comments themselves will answer a lot of points.

Anyway, this one trillion is over how many years? From government figures, the highest I have seen is 8300 crore, which is 1.3B USD.

11. Sakal Gharelu Ustad

This is over whole life time and is present value of debt.

12. Nicky G

Then you can't compare to an annual figure of GDP as it does not mean that the government will be liable to pay 1T each year - heck that's 2.5 times out budget. Even so, its still very high, but could be an interesting read, though I hardly think government figures can be this off.

13. AnantS

AnantS Senior Member Senior Member

OT: But if OROP is granted to Army, you will have protests from paramilitary also for similar schemes. And what can then stop central govt employees to demand the same with opp backing? OROP will not be simple to implement. Even if intent is there, the economic implications are too big for any govt to ignore.

CrYsIs likes this.
  14. Hari Sud

Hari Sud Senior Member Senior Member

Test of wills between Sonia Gandhi and PM Modi. If Modi gives up, his credibility is lost. If Sonia is not able to muster all the support in Rajya Sabha then Congress is lost for a decade. Lalit Modi type of affair for Sushma Swaraj & Vasundra Raje are minor affairs. Everybody including Manmohan Singh and Sonia Gandhi have signed one recommendation or other for friends and relative. Even Manhoman Singh signed recommendations for a few unsavory people to get petrol pumps before he was PM. Sonia Gandhi should not try to be pure. Her son in law is the worst offender. If anybody tells me that he has not used family name or influence.

So , this is a test of will. Let us see who comes out ahead.

punjab47 likes this.
  15. Nicky G

So after the lull due to the passing away of former President of India, we return today to the same non-sense in the parliament and weak government.

Pathetic.

16. CrYsIs

CrYsIs Regular Member

I trillion USD each year?

I don't know the intricacies involved in the calculation but i remember reading the economic times a few weeks ago.It mentioned about costing the government an additional 10 billion $.

17. Sakal Gharelu Ustad

No. It is the lifetime cost...................