First trip to India

Status
Not open for further replies.

Senior_Miguel

Dear Friends!

My name is Michal. I'm a Polish military journalist and an strategic analyst cooperating with several Polish think tanks. My field of study covers Indian military build-up and India's strategic rivalry with Pak and PRC on the Indian Ocean. In a couple of days I'm going to India (as part of my leave). This is my first visit to this country (I will reside in New Delhi), so I thought that it would be great, if any of you who live there would like to meet and get a beer or coffee.

Looking forward to hearing from you,

Jai Hind!

Michal

Eastman

Country flag
kudos :thumb: but be cautious of Delhi Belly :truestory: if you happen to visit North East maybe we can have a :truestory:

Blackwater

Beware of pickpocket

Heat in May,June,July are the most uncomfortable in Delhi, you can be polish tandori chicken in no time

drink bottle water only

don't forget to bargain from taxi to palika-bazaar.

dont go alone in late nights

Last edited:

SajeevJino

Long walk
Country flag
@Senior_Miguel

Hello ..First of all welcome to India

I'm here in southern corner of India ..If you planed to came there ..Notify me ..we will meet

also ..follow the Recommendation of what @Blackwater Ji told in above Post ..More of that Beware of Expiry Products ..and Bottle waters there are fakes are available ..So beware of that ..do not buy "rail water" water bottles

Last edited by a moderator:

Senior_Miguel

Many thanks for a warm reception. Surely, I will take all your advice into consideration! :)

@Senior_Miguel

Hello ..First of all welcome to India

I'm here in southern corner of India ..If you planed to came there ..Notify me ..we will meet

also ..follow the Recommendation of what @Blackwater Ji told in above Post ..More of that Beware of Expiry Products ..and Bottle waters there are fakes are available ..So beware of that ..do not buy "rail water" water bottles

Neil

Country flag
@Senior_Miguel : hey welcome to DFI and India... have an awesome time and enjoy..!!

if u wanna explore India during your stay .. better go to hill stations- Dharamshala, Leh, ladakh, shimla etc... rest of India is an oven right now.

rest what Blackwater said.. just dont be over cautious or too careless.

cheers!!

Ajesh

Hi Mister Poland,

Beware of the Local Thugs, if anybody comes up to you in a threatening Manner, Do not Back Off, They prey on weak Body Language, Always Keep a Police Number on Handy

And If i am in Delhi, I would eat all the Yum Non Veg Delicacies....Chicken,Mutton,kabab all....But comparing to Europeans i know they eat bland Meat and here the Meat would be Spicy

All the Best

rock127

Maulana Rockullah
Country flag
Dear Friends!

My name is Michal. I'm a Polish military journalist and an strategic analyst cooperating with several Polish think tanks. My field of study covers Indian military build-up and India's strategic rivalry with Pak and PRC on the Indian Ocean. In a couple of days I'm going to India (as part of my leave). This is my first visit to this country (I will reside in New Delhi), so I thought that it would be great, if any of you who live there would like to meet and get a beer or coffee.

Jai Hind!

Michal
Czesc Michal and Welcome to DFI.

How long are you going to be in Delhi and in which part?

Ajesh

And are you coming alone or with Your Wife/Girl Friend? If coming along then advice her not to wear any Skimpy or revealing Clothes. India is a little reserved in those matter and Indians will find it strange if somebody clothes up in skimpy Matter.. So generally it should be avoided.

Senior_Miguel

Czesc Michal and Welcome to DFI.

How long are you going to be in Delhi and in which part?
I'm going to stay there for a week and a half. I don't know yet, where I will stay. I plan to rent a motel for a couple of days just to keep my stuff there and spend most of the time on tourism :) If I get lucky, maybe I get to meet some of you, who live in New Delhi ;-) Best!

Senior_Miguel

And are you coming alone or with Your Wife/Girl Friend? If coming along then advice her not to wear any Skimpy or revealing Clothes. India is a little reserved in those matter and Indians will find it strange if somebody clothes up in skimpy Matter.. So generally it should be avoided.
Thanks for the advice. Luckily, I'm coming alone :)

Yusuf

GUARDIAN
Super Mod
Country flag
Welcome to DFI and India Senior_Miguel

You can catch up with our admin @Singh our members @sayareakd @sob who I've met. There may be many more in Delhi.

Its going to be bloody hot in Delhi. Keep yourself hydrated. Drink only bottled water. DO NOT drink tap water anywhere including hotels even if they are 5 star.

If you take a taxi or an "auto rickshaw" bargain. If they ask for 100 rupees say you will give 50. Then settle at a price in between.

I suggest you not stay in lower priced hotels as these may be in not so safe areas.

If you happen to come down south to Bangalore City, let me know :)

Once again welcome to India. Hope you have a great time here.

Since you are a journo on strategic affairs, you can write for our front page www.defenceforumindia.com we will be happy to publish :)

ghost

I do not know the purpose of ur visit but if it is just as a tourist then i suggest visiting rishikesh,haridwar and visiting some spritiual guru there since it is the best what we can offer to you as a unique experience " spirituality " if you find a right "guru" you will find inner peace and nirvana ,yoga but if you stumble upon fraud than you will find a lighter wallet plus you could do rafting over there.

Since you are a defence journalist i suggest you arrange appointment in NDA(NATIONAL DEFENCE ACADEMY) and IMA(INDIAN MILITARY ACADEMY)
it would be good for you to experience these places .

Last delhi taxi drivers and auto drivers are mostly crook who would cheat you for money better use metro for transportation while in delhi.

Welcome to india :namaste:hope you have a safe and exciting visit.

bose

Country flag
Dear Friends!

Jai Hind!

Michal
A warm welcome to India !!

just a friendly suggession, try to have an Indian companion or friend [whome you know well], with you where ever you travel...

Do not over eat Indian foods, those may be tempting ...

Avoid going out late night alone...

Happy times in India!!

trackwhack

Welcome, don't let the fear mongers here scare you with their tap water logic. If you want a memorable and enjoyable trip, drop your inhibitions and dont be tight assed like a few here suggest. Our country is not different from most others, just a little bit more crowded. You can stay in whatever hotel suits your wallet. Im sure you are adult enough to handle most situations including judging the cleanliness of water.
Indian members - Good job of welcoming a foreigner. You make our country sound like its Pakistan. Pathetic. For those who dont know, there are more thugs per square mile in New York - Queens than in New Delhi. So lay off with the big blooming warning signs.:tsk:

Senior_Miguel

@Yusuf, thanks for you advice. I will contact them shortly. I will be happy to provide you with some extent of my work. Just give me a couple of days, since I'm quite in a middle of getting ready for the trip :) Best!

Welcome to DFI and India Senior_Miguel

You can catch up with our admin @Singh our members @sayareakd @sob who I've met. There may be many more in Delhi.

Its going to be bloody hot in Delhi. Keep yourself hydrated. Drink only bottled water. DO NOT drink tap water anywhere including hotels even if they are 5 star.

If you take a taxi or an "auto rickshaw" bargain. If they ask for 100 rupees say you will give 50. Then settle at a price in between.

I suggest you not stay in lower priced hotels as these may be in not so safe areas.

If you happen to come down south to Bangalore City, let me know :)

Once again welcome to India. Hope you have a great time here.

Since you are a journo on strategic affairs, you can write for our front page Indian Defence Analysis - we will be happy to publish :)

Senior_Miguel

I'm afraid that since I don't know anyone who lives in New Delhi, I will have to do sigh-seeing alone. Thanks for the advice, though. I'll keep it in mind :)
A warm welcome to India !!

just a friendly suggession, try to have an Indian companion or friend [whome you know well], with you where ever you travel...

Do not over eat Indian foods, those may be tempting ...

Avoid going out late night alone...

Happy times in India!!

Ray

The Chairman
Professional
Hi Polish Friend,

Indian food is not all that dangerous or bad.

It is just that westerners cannot digest the spice, they having been accustomed to bland food, sauced over to give a ting.

Yes, there are good reasons why you will be shortchanged by the taxiwallahs and auto rickshaw chaps. That is because they think anyone who is not a local is a sucker and that does not apply to foreigners alone.

Buy a map of Delhi and plot your route.

If you have a GPS, then nothing like that!

It is better to hire a car for the day.

That way you will have more flexibility and less of a headache.

Tap water is not drunk even by Indians, Try Acquaguard or bottled.

I so far as pickpockets are concerned, one has to be careful but then only a fool and his money is soon parted as the saying goes.

Lastly, do not bring in gold or carry or consume any form of drugs.

Also do not take any food offered by a stranger. They maybe really hospitable and friendly and genuinely want to be friendly in consonance with our ancient guidance - A Guest is like God , but then there are those who are crooks and can load it with substance that will put you to sleep while the rifles your goodies and scamper off.

Last edited:

Ray

The Chairman
Professional
I'm afraid that since I don't know anyone who lives in New Delhi, I will have to do sigh-seeing alone. Thanks for the advice, though. I'll keep it in mind :)
Ask your Embassy for a guide/ friend.

I live in the East and so will be of no help to you in Delhi.

rock127

Maulana Rockullah
Country flag
I do not know the purpose of ur visit but if it is just as a tourist then i suggest visiting rishikesh,haridwar and visiting some spritiual guru there since it is the best what we can offer to you as a unique experience " spirituality " if you find a right "guru" you will find inner peace and nirvana ,yoga but if you stumble upon fraud than you will find a lighter wallet plus you could do rafting over there.

Since you are a defence journalist i suggest you arrange appointment in NDA(NATIONAL DEFENCE ACADEMY) and IMA(INDIAN MILITARY ACADEMY)
it would be good for you to experience these places .

Last delhi taxi drivers and auto drivers are mostly crook who would cheat you for money better use metro for transportation while in delhi.

Welcome to india :namaste:hope you have a safe and exciting visit.
There are 99% chances that he would end up with a fake "BabaJi"... we all remember the BabaJi who visited on DFI and created havoc. :D

And yes Taxi/Auto drivers are master crooks. They quote 2 -3 times the original and think themselves like a King.They feel insulted if asked to go by meter. But few do go by meter.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Global Defence

New threads

Articles