First time in India

IBSA

Country flag
Hi dear DFI members

I'm going to travel for India in August now, and this will be my first time in India.

I dont know the Indian customs, expressions, gestures, etc., so I'm afraid to offence someone but without aim.

For example, in Brazil we greets women with a kiss in the face. If you were in Rio de Janeiro, people greets her with two kisses, one in each faceside. But I heart that for Indian people the kissings are part of sex, so I think isn't good to greet an Indian woman with a kiss.

I will stay in New Delhi and Punjab.

My interests are Military, History, Architecture. Give me some tips in behavior, places that I could go or should to avoid for security reasons, etc.

Thanks.

IBSA

Country flag
Hi dear DFI members

I'm going to travel for India in August now, and this will be my first time in India.

I dont know the Indian customs, expressions, gestures, etc., so I'm afraid to offence someone but without aim.

For example, in Brazil we greets women with a kiss in the face. If you were in Rio de Janeiro, people greets her with two kisses, one in each faceside. But I heart that for Indian people the kissings are part of sex, so I think isn't good to greet an Indian woman with a kiss.

My interests are Military, History, Architecture. Please members, give me some tips in behavior, places that I could go or should to avoid for security reasons, etc.

Thanks.
Another example of different meanings. In the USA, to do like an 'O' joining the thumb with the index finger while stretching the others hand's fingers sounds like a OK, but in Brazil the same gesture means like 'kiss my ass', 'asshole'.

Once time I was in cinema seeing an American film, during the scene a pilot asks the mechanic 'how are the plane?', and the mechanics replied 'OK' with the hand. The scene clearly wasn't funny, but the people laughed on a lot of because they understand the Brazilian meaning of the gesture.

So, if you are in Brazil never does this hand's signal, for someone could dislike.

square

Strategic Issues
are you planning to take pappies and jhappies here........??

Hi dear DFI members

My interests are Military, History, Architecture. Give me some tips in behavior, places that I could go or should to avoid for security reasons, etc.

Thanks.

Last edited:

airtel

Country flag
both delhi and Panjab has many places related to Military, History & Architecture..............You can search about them on Google .

avoid greeting an unknown Indian woman with a kiss , she can file cases of molestation /sexual harassment :rofl::rofl::rofl:

and yes India is very different from any other Country in this planet so be ready for cultural shock .:)

Last edited:

captscooby81

Country flag
India is a very vibrant country every state has its own culture..But kissing a girl to greet even we are wishing girls in india get matured to that culture sadly they are not ..If you kiss a girl she will either bring her elder brother in delhi or punjab..to down south they will bring their entire family to trash you ...:scared2:

Having said that indian girls have a soft corner for foreigners someone who speaks what they don t understand and their legs go weak...:biggrin2::biggrin2:

first before places to visit read about foods to avoid some foods don t go well down in your stomach and will make you tied down to the washroom for days ...o_O

Hi dear DFI members

Thanks.

charlie

Country flag
when we kiss a girl in india, we get an erection and then we go to a hotel or home. so anything other than kissing, hugging, stalking women will be fine. handshake is good, or just say thank you. in delhi, go see the taj mahal. in pubjab, go visit the rice fields.
"when we kiss a girl in india, we get an erection and then we go to a hotel or home"

wow that's some detailed explanation.

Aghore_King

Country flag
when we kiss a girl in india, we get an erection and then we go to a hotel or home. so anything other than kissing, hugging, stalking women will be fine. handshake is good, or just say thank you. in delhi, go see the taj mahal. in pubjab, go visit the rice fields.
Bhaii kuch jyada hi Frank ho gya tu to...:laugh:

An Angry Potato

Hi dear DFI members

Thanks.
You should be fine in most places as far as safety goes. When in Punjab you can always visit Harmandir Sahib AKA golden temple. You will need to check your shoes in and have your head covered at at all times. The temple has a place to check shoes in and scar pickup to cover your head. no photography inside the main temple and no tobacco/alcohol items allowed inside. Do try the meals served there. The meals are called "Langars". You should also attend the Wagah border ceremony. A change of guard ceremony that happens near the indo-pak border. Near the Chandigarh you can visit Sukhna lake and the Dorahara Fort.
As for Delhi red fort would be a good place to start. India gate and Amar Jawan Jyoti have historical/military significance. The national museum at New Delhi houses several fascinating historical artifacts
While in Delhi beware of "beggars"! do not give any money to them! their sole purpose is to empty your wallet. Always schedule your travels and use a cab company like uber. The tuck tuck/Auto rickshaw drivers might try to fleece you considering you are a foreigner. Don't kiss women(or men) for you might get thrashed by their brother or something. Always plan ahead. India is a chaotic country! As long you know you what you are doing and have planned ahead you will fine :)

airtel

Country flag

Razor

STABLE GENIUS
Country flag
Hi dear DFI members

Thanks.
Since you are worried about kissing, I would say that in India you should NOT kiss any woman in public, who is not close to you; and by close I mean gf/wife/etc.
Handshakes work just fine.
If you kiss a girl you have just met or a girl you have met just few times, all she has to do is raise her voice and people from nearby will come and thrash you.
Pro Tip: In private story is entirely different. ;)

Also don't walk around alone at night in shady places esp. if you are drunk.
Avoid giving alms to so called beggars, no matter how sympathetic you are. You give to one many more will soon come.
Don't eat anything provided to you by random people on train, if you are travelling alone. Politely tell them your stomach is upset or doctor told me not to eat that etc.
Police helpline is 100.

Last edited:

nongaddarliberal

Country flag
I hope you like spicy food, because that's what you'll get almost everywhere. And remember, we don't use toilet paper in India, it's mostly bidets, or a mug of water, so if you have to, carry a roll in your bag while travelling.

NEVER fall for any of the scammers while travelling. Many of them might appear very professional and honest, and can even show you an office which looks legit, as I have been told by many of my foreign friends, but you will only later realize that you have been duped. Only deal with people you have already contacted, and only use mainstream travel agencies.

Install OLA and Uber in your phone, as this will be very convenient and cheap when you want to travel in the city. DON'T use the regular taxis that you see everywhere, as they generally don't use their meter, and will charge you double for being a foreigner. When you land, book a prepaid taxi from within the airport itself, and take the bill to the taxi driver. Do not pay a rupee more than what is in the bill.

In many places, there are no zebra crossings and no signals, but you will see people crossing the road anyway. If you need to cross in such a place, wait till a large group of people appear, and cross with them. Don't cross the road alone in such a scenario, as you don't have the knack for our traffic.

Kunal Biswas

Member of the Year 2011
Ambassador

Published on Jul 27, 2014
Just next to the Indira Gandhi International Airport, is located the Indian Air Force Museum, Palam. It is best reached by taxi. There is a parking lot just next to the entrance so the driver can wait here. A nice and polite Sikh guard with a rifle was posted at the entry. The staff is very nice and likes to talk about airplanes. There is a small souvenir shop where you can buy a few items at almost no cost.

The museum contains quite a few things of interest and it covers the story from the colonial days, the second world war to the birth of the India Air Forces and the space age and modern times.

The exhibition is quite large but somewhat worn down. It contains some rare and special items such as a Japanese suicide rocket plane ("Ohka"). There is also a B-24 on display, a Spitfire and a Hurricane and other propeller driven airplanes, along with the many special modern types from Russia and France. They even have some quite big transport planes.

Many exhibitions are dedicated to the wars with Pakistan with a number of war trophies proudly presented. A small special exhibition was dedicated the finding (US/India team) of a downed WWII B-24 in 2008.

According to rumors the museum is to move to another, larger and better location (just next to the current one) within a few years. Allegedly they also poses a C-47 that will join the display.

Very few locals and tourist know about this museum. I have been there two times and the first time ('07) I had everything to myself. Remember to bring the address or a map. Almost no taxi driver knows it's location - ask the hotel to explain the driver.

=========================

Published on Feb 27, 2016
War Memorial Museum |Red Fort |Delhi
भारतीय युद्ध स्मारक संग्रहालय, लाल किला ,दिल्ली
Timings: 8:00 am to 5:00 pm (Monday Closed)

The Indian War Memorial Museum is located in the Naubat Khana of the Red Fort in Delhi, northern India.

Exhibition:
The museum is located on the first and second floor of the drum house. It contains several galleries pertaining to the military history of India during the first and second world war.

Items that are on display is a diorama of the Battle of Panipat (1526), in which Babur defeated the forces of Ibrahim Lodi and established the Mughal Empire.

Further objects on display are traditional weapons such as daggers and gupti, as well as arms and helmets. The advent of the industrialisation brought in new weapons such as machine guns and grenades.

Various badges, ribbons, and uniforms of Turkish and New Zealand army officers, and flags are also on display.

The dress of Maharaja Pratap Singh of Idar, a renowned soldier and military man, is displayed, which includes the kurta (long shirt), belt, trouser, turban with zari work, shoes and inscribed sword with sheath.

============================

Published on Jul 9, 2017

This Change of the Guard takes place every Sunday morning at 10 a.m. A must see experience of amazing discipline, sharp moves and band performance.

Published on Apr 4, 2014

Published on Jan 12, 2013 (revised the music part on Apr 4-2014)
Akshardham - A Hindu Temple in New Delhi, India.A 360 degree panoramic view, A view from 200 meters above, Doors and pillars of the temple, Gallery around the Temple and The Temple at night.(With suggestion from many Indian viewers, I replaced the audio part with hopefully, more suitable piece of musics.)

Published on Sep 16, 2010

Take a tour of Lotus Temple in New Delhi -- part of the World's Greatest Attractions series by GeoBeats.

Hi, I am Naomi and I am very excited to show you the world's greatest attractions.

The Lotus Temple is a Bahá'í house of worship in Delhi, India.

Renowned for its architecture, the grand temple has been visited by over 50 million people.

Clad with white Greek marble, it is a place for people of all religious faiths.

Since number 9 is significant in the Bahá'í faith, 9 ponds encircle the worship.

Symmetry is also retained inside with concentric stars on the ceiling.

Three sets of nine petal like clusters form the walls of the temple.

At night, the marble walls are lit up to create a truly spectacular vision.

Thank you for watching our travel video series. See you next time.

=================
=================

0. Don`t trust anyone who offer transportation or hotel, Go online do your homework, Book no less than 3 star hotel anywhere, Don`t ask for prostitutes, Call out hotel staff for food at your room in the hotel, They will provide you the menu ..

1. Never use local taxi, Always Uber or Ola ..
2. Learn all routes of metro by heart ..
3. Use your smart phone for information and routes ..
4. Carry 2ls of drinking water ( No soda ), Better ready for a walk ( 200-400ms ) then take tuk tuk ..
5. Avoid walking in pitch dark at isolated areas at night, Walk under bright light in populated & popular areas ..
6. Always use locks on your bag and keep tag of your smart phone and wallet at all times ..
7. Use sunglasses & mask, Sun-cream and umbrella as its hot here ..
8. If possible, find a gud friend here who can guide you ..

My interests are Military, History, Architecture.

Kunal Biswas

Member of the Year 2011
Ambassador

Published on Nov 12, 2015
Here are some things you must see & do when your in Amritsar.

================

PUNJAB STATE WAR HEROES' MEMORIAL & MUSEUM AMRITSAR

Aghore_King

Country flag
what i meant is that we indians don't kiss girl on street, park, restaurant. and when we kiss, we have sex. kiss is enquiry in 1st floor about opening in ground floor. :biggrin2:
Ground floor or basement...:tongue2:

Global Defence

New threads

Articles