First export of the LCH to Sri Lanka?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kunal Biswas

Member of the Year 2011
Ambassador
Just on papers and maybe one or two virtual designs. hahaha. Hundreds of project are planned like this every year.
Huh ?!

i never never knew...

There are three British Army WAH-64D Apaches (pictured above) embarked on the assault ship HMS Ocean, with up to three more on the way. The choppers were recently re-certified for shipboard use, as a partial replacement for the Royal Navy's recently-retired aircraft carrier and Harrier jump jets.
Apache | Danger Room | Wired.com

Question: Does the Navy have Apache helicopters?

Answer: Trials are currently underway, and subject to these, one Army attack squadron of Apaches will be earmarked to provide support for amphibious operations. The Royal Marines Commando Helicopter Force operate Lynx and Gazelle helicopters.
Royal Navy

Secondly, that the use of Apaches from a Helicopter Carrier undermines the SDSR. Has it occured to anyone else that flying close air support, vertical flight aircraft from a Royal Navy flat top was discounted less than a year ago?
And finally"¦ note that the Aircraft are ARMY, flying off a NAVY vessel. The ship can get in as close as it wants, anti-air and anti-ship defence pending, and the Apaches are there for giving close support to the anti-Gadaffi forces. No RAF involvement at all. Interesting to hear what the RAF PR department make of that one.
Apaches and HMS Ocean and Libya � Daly History Blog

We also facing shortage of harriers, hmmm...

We also have plans for betterment of Amphibious force in IN.. yes !

We also can complement Naval LCH with remaining Harriers.... may be !

Naval LCH? Why not say Naval Source

A Naval Source close to idrw.org has indicated that Navy is closely observing development of Light combat helicopter currently under development by State run Hindustan aeronautics limited (HAL).
Source also mentioned that currently Navy is not actually thinking of Inducting any LCH in its fleet , but initial success in the project ,has made Navy take notice of the project , but there are sceptical if a Marine variant can be developed based on it . Air force and Indian army both put together have a current order of more than 150 of this locally developed Light attack helicopter.
Navy is the only armed force in India, which has rejected induction of Naval version of ALH also known has Dhruv due HAL's inability to fix problems of excess vibration and Rotor blade folding issues in its Naval Variant of Dhruv .
Sources also informed that Navy has officially not shown any interest in the project, but is observant on LCH , Defence expert Rajesh Sharma believes that Marine or Naval Variant can be used from amphibious assault ship and also for coastal surveillance , specially for action against pirates ,but then again according to him Indian Army and Indian air force will be inducting close to 700 new helicopters in between them in next decade or so , Navy been the smallest Helicopter fleet operator of the three armed forces , it might be just curiosity of not to be left behind .
Naval LCH? Why not say Naval Source | idrw.org

Last edited:

ace009

Freakin' Fighter fan
The IN specs were for heavier Helos, with folding blades and higher lift capacity. Are they going to change their requirements? Naval LCH will require what? Just folding blades or other modifications too (like different radar, maybe sonar too)?

Just wondering if IN needs the LCH or the Marines do.

Yatharth Singh

Knowledge is power.
Country flag
Huh ?!

i never never knew...

Apache | Danger Room | Wired.com

Royal Navy

Apaches and HMS Ocean and Libya � Daly History Blog

We also facing shortage of harriers, hmmm...

We also have plans for betterment of Amphibious force in IN.. yes !

We also can complement Naval LCH with remaining Harriers.... may be !

Naval LCH? Why not say Naval Source

Naval LCH? Why not say Naval Source | idrw.org
If i`m not wrong(by god`s grace this time i`m not) then IN doesnt have an amphibious assault ship. And even if it required one(which is for sure in the late future) then it would not take it less than 7-8 years for its A-Z development.

Ok now if we consider that IN will be operating it from its land bases(for shore based operations) then as you reported above that

A Naval Source close to idrw.org has indicated that Navy is closely observing development of Light combat helicopter currently under development by State run Hindustan aeronautics limited (HAL).
Source also mentioned that currently Navy is not actually thinking of Inducting any LCH in its fleet , but initial success in the project ,has made Navy take notice of the project
Shhhhaa......just the observation :) . It would take at least 5+ years to turn this dream into reality(its a long way ahead). And I only said that there is no such official conformation or news on Naval LCH induction,which is indeed true, but that doesnt mean that I refuse its possibility of future naval operations and variants.

Kunal Biswas

Member of the Year 2011
Ambassador
If i`m not wrong(by god`s grace this time i`m not) then IN doesnt have an amphibious assault ship. And even if it required one(which is for sure in the late future) then it would not take it less than 7-8 years for its A-Z development.
Ok now if we consider that IN will be operating it from its land bases(for shore based operations) then as you reported above that
Read my post again, i didnt mention saying it required a Amphibious assault ship tp operate but support amphibious assault..

Besides Navy issued a RFI for 6 Amphibious docks of 200ms..

Shhhhaa......just the observation :) . It would take at least 5+ years to turn this dream into reality(its a long way ahead). And I only said that there is no such official conformation or news on Naval LCH induction,which is indeed true, but that doesnt mean that I refuse its possibility of future naval operations and variants.
By a Senior Naval Officer, idrw.org reputation is well known.. :)

Obseravation is imporatant as its in devlopment phase there cant be any conformation yet coz its in 'development phase'

It will take 5-6 years to have all the necessity materiel for a Amphibious assault group, also by that time Viraat will operating..

By that time its upto navy to induct more harriers or Naval LCH as supplement..

p2prada

It will take a long time to know if LCH is really required for the Navy. Untiul then the 200 odd orders from IAF and Army will suffice to keep production going for a long time.

Perhaps a LCH Mk2 with a much higher MTOW and all the anjar-panjar they need can fill Naval requirements, perhaps a MCH. Anyway, as ace said, the Navy requires bigger helicopters. The range on ALH and LCH is too small for the Navy. Let the Navy get their aircraft working first.

sayareakd

Mod
Country flag
First let HAL get IOC for LCH and then we will think who is interested.

KS

Bye bye DFI
No need to export Attack helis, in case the news is true, to a maniacal nation whose only known enemy is the one it itself created.

Kunal Biswas

Member of the Year 2011
Ambassador
The IN specs were for heavier Helos, with folding blades and higher lift capacity. Are they going to change their requirements? Naval LCH will require what? Just folding blades or other modifications too (like different radar, maybe sonar too)?

Just wondering if IN needs the LCH or the Marines do.
Heavier helos for replacement of Sea Kings, IN didn't issue any requirements for Attack Chopper, But as HAL know what went wrong with Naval Dhruvs, they wont make the same mistakes, Naval LCH may be very similar to USMC Cobras which have a range of 500kms and LCH gives 700kms, Its also possible it may include jettison fuel tanks like on Apache to increase range and folded blades as must..

Regarding ASW as u mentioned abt sonar and radars, IN use KA-31/27 for that role..

Regarding Marines, Its very possible the Amphibious Brigade come under navy command not as a separate branch, they may transform into Naval Infantry ..

And to the topic, its very possible IN may consider LCH once everything in order..

KS

Bye bye DFI
Let's see - have you heard the term "for greater good"? Or the famous saying "An eye for an eye ... leaves the whole world blind"?
Greater good ? Am I seeing it right ? Wil you agree to sacifice your family member knowingly "for the greater good" ? Stop these ridiculous things about teaching us patriotism here. For a women who has four children her husband(a Tamil fisherman who is expendable) is more important than all the greater good Mr.Intelligent.

So, you want to create another enemy out of SL because SL navy might be involved in killing Indian fishermen? You know the story from their side? You know that in the guise of fishermen, Indian tamil sympathizers of LTTE (yes, tamils voting for DMK) were straying into SL waters and supplying weapons to LTTE for about 20 years?
it's also called international "terrorism", something we blame on our neighbors too.
Modern Indian fishermen also stray into SL waters, evoking their navy's ire. We need to train and equip our fishermen with locational and communication devices (gps, radios), without which they are sitting ducks.
Fishermen are NOT expendable - I agree. But neither are our armed forces. You want to make an enemy of SL, so that in the future, they give China an open door in our backyard? So that we can send hundreds if not thousands of our armed forces into their death if and when hostilities break out?
Have you heard of the word diplomatic strategy? The lesser of the two evil? Finding a friend instead of an enemy?
So, bottle your harangue if you want to be a responsible citizen of India.
Cut down on the same Sinhala rant that New Delhi was tricked into (or was it ? I think the Ghandi clan extracted the revenge for their corrupt husband/father in a cold calculated manner).

The point Tamil fishermen are LEGALLY PERMITTED to fish inside the SL waters near katchatheevu where about 90% of the firings take place. Surprised ? Because that is what exactly the Indo-SL accord of '74 says when India transferred its sovereign piece of land to Sri Lanka as a gift.

A puny nation surrounded on all sides by the fifth largest Navy in the world, a nation whose entire Navy is smaller than India's CG and yet they have managed to trick the dumbos in South Block into believing that they are somehow important to us. 'Emerging Super Power' my ass when you don't have the power and confidence to make a nation half the size of Tamil Nadu to listen to you BS.

And if you feel some fishermen helped LTTE it is upto the Indian Govt to take step, not the bloody Lankans to do anything. We are not Lankan citizens. Are we ?

DMK are one of the cunning baster*ds who slept in the same bed as Congress turning a blind eye to the Sinhala genocide. Don't mention them and denigrate the struggle in SL.

Even when IPKF was trying to keep the peace in SL, the tamil sympathizers of LTTE were arming them, many of the same arms were indeed used against the IPKF. You know what it is called? Treason.
Errr...What was IPKF doing in Sri Lanka in the first place ?

Last edited:

KS

Bye bye DFI
Yenn ya vidurathu???
Gom##lla indha madiri TH####ya mavan irrukka varaikum India vula Tamilanakku Danger.
Nerula pathena pathenna Dharma adi vanguvan avan.
:pound::pound::pound:

Kunal Biswas

Member of the Year 2011
Ambassador
A puny nation surrounded on all sides by the fifth largest Navy in the world, a nation whose entire Navy is smaller than India's CG and yet they have managed to trick the dumbos in South Block into believing that they are somehow important to us.
As IPKF say peace keeping they were peace keepers, But things gone bad, It was Srilankan Gov was mostly responsible for IPFK causalities..

Btw, Don`t mix emotions with politics, Emotions and moral have no value in such a mess, Many factors are involve, we just know few..

Oracle

Greater good ? Am I seeing it right ? Wil you agree to sacifice your family member knowingly "for the greater good" ? Stop these ridiculous things about teaching us patriotism here. For a women who has four children her husband(a Tamil fisherman who is expendable) is more important than all the greater good Mr.Intelligent.

Cut down on the same Sinhala rant that New Delhi was tricked into (or was it ? I think the Ghandi clan extracted the revenge for their corrupt husband/father in a cold calculated manner).

The point Tamil fishermen are LEGALLY PERMITTED to fish inside the SL waters near katchatheevu where about 90% of the firings take place. Surprised ? Because that is what exactly the Indo-SL accord of '74 says when India transferred its sovereign piece of land to Sri Lanka as a gift.

A puny nation surrounded on all sides by the fifth largest Navy in the world, a nation whose entire Navy is smaller than India's CG and yet they have managed to trick the dumbos in South Block into believing that they are somehow important to us. 'Emerging Super Power' my ass when you don't have the power and confidence to make a nation half the size of Tamil Nadu to listen to you BS.

And if you feel some fishermen helped LTTE it is upto the Indian Govt to take step, not the bloody Lankans to do anything. We are not Lankan citizens. Are we ?

DMK are one of the cunning baster*ds who slept in the same bed as Congress turning a blind eye to the Sinhala genocide. Don't mention them and denigrate the struggle in SL.

Those LTTE and their supporters are no less terrorists than LeT or Al-Qaida. SL is a sovereign country and they have every right to decide how to treat their citizens and shape up their foreign policy, like we do in J&K.

As for the second sentence in bold, read more.

KS

Bye bye DFI
Those LTTE and their supporters are no less terrorists than LeT or Al-Qaida. SL is a sovereign country and they have every right to decide how to treat their citizens and shape up their foreign policy, like we do in J&K.
Is it ? When was the last time Tanks rolled inside Sri Nagar or artillery lighted up hospitals and schools or thousands were lined up, blindfolded and killed ? God, I would pray the Sinhalese to live 1000 years in benign prosperity if they treated the ethnic Tamils like India treats the Kashmiris.

Leaving aside the Tamils in Sri Lanka, lets come to the issue of Tamil fishermen brutally murdered almost every fortnight by the SL Navy and the fifth Largest Navy plucking flowers or catching fish elsewhere. Aren't they Indian citizens ? Aren't their protection the raison d'etre of the existence of the Armed forces ?Are the politicians so afraid of Sri Lanka that everytime they threaten (yes they threaten India !!!) that they will go to China the babus from Delhi bend over backwards and show their pit ? Speaks volumes of the confidence of the aspiring UNSC member and 'Emerging Super Power'.

As for the second sentence in bold, read more.
I've read and again I ask what was IPKF doing in Lanka ? Why Op.Pawan go the way it went ? It was a backstabbing by the Sinhala Govt led by Jayawardene who refused to withdraw the Sinhalese soldiers back to the barracks and devolution of power to the North-Eastern provinces as per the accord.

As IPKF say peace keeping they were peace keepers, But things gone bad, It was Srilankan Gov was mostly responsible for IPFK causalities..

Btw, Don`t mix emotions with politics, Emotions and moral have no value in such a mess, Many factors are involve, we just know few..
Its not emotions.

Its about the basic Right to survival and security of the Tamil fishermen as the citizens of India. Where did emotion come into this ?

Last edited:

Phenom

This is something the Srilankan cheerleaders here conveniently ignore.

Once the LTTE started fighting IPKF, the arms supply from India was mostly cut-off by Indian security establishment. Its believed that the SL govt gave weapons to LTTE to fight the IA, the Lankan govt thought the battle between LTTE and IA would weaken both and the SLA can defeat the LTTE after IA left, ofcourse things didn't work out that way.

Oracle

Is it ? When was the last time Tanks rolled inside Sri Nagar or artillery lighted up hospitals and schools or thousands were lined up, blindfolded and killed ? God, I would pray the Sinhalese to live 1000 years in benign prosperity if they treated the ethnic Tamils like India treats the Kashmiris.

Leaving aside the Tamils in Sri Lanka, lets come to the issue of Tamil fishermen brutally murdered almost every fortnight by the SL Navy and the fifth Largest Navy plucking flowers or catching fish elsewhere. Aren't they Indian citizens ? Aren't their protection the raison d'etre of the existence of the Armed forces ?Are the politicians so afraid of Sri Lanka that everytime they threaten (yes they threaten India !!!) that they will go to China the babus from Delhi bend over backwards and show their pit ? Speaks volumes of the confidence of the aspiring UNSC member and 'Emerging Super Power'.

I've read and again I ask what was IPKF doing in Lanka ? Why Op.Pawan go the way it went ? It was a backstabbing by the Sinhala Govt led by Jayawardene who refused to withdraw the Sinhalese soldiers back to the barracks and devolution of power to the North-Eastern provinces as per the accord.

Its not emotions.

Its about the basic Right to survival and security of the Tamil fishermen as the citizens of India. Where did emotion come into this ?
I did not disagree. What was disturbing was this statement 'Don't mention them and denigrate the struggle in SL'. Terrorism can never be justified, whatever be the cause. If Ahimsa could get us freedom, it could yield results for anyone.

KS

Bye bye DFI
I did not disagree. What was disturbing was this statement 'Don't mention them and denigrate the struggle in SL'. Terrorism can never be justified, whatever be the cause. If Ahimsa could get us freedom, it could yield results for anyone.
Eelam =/= LTTE.

This is where most people get it wrong. Destroy the LTTE by all means, who cares, but ensure the Tamils get their rights which they will NOT get under the Sinhalese.

Oracle

Eelam =/= LTTE.

This is where most people get it wrong. Destroy the LTTE by all means, who cares, but ensure the Tamils get their rights which they will NOT get under the Sinhalese.
Why would you care? They are not Indians, let SL Govt. deal with them.

If you want the sovereignty of India intact, you also should not involve in the matters of a foreign country.

KS

Bye bye DFI
Why would you care? They are not Indians, let SL Govt. deal with them.
Why did we care when the Pakistanis were raping the East Bengalis in 1971 ? For the same bloody reason.

Oracle

Why did we care when the Pakistanis were raping the East Bengalis in 1971 ? For the same bloody reason.
India had a strategic goal in that. Dismember Pakistan, so that during a war we do not have to fight on 2 fronts.

You did not knew that? Poor you. Read more, than whine about. :pound:

KS

Bye bye DFI
India had a strategic goal in that. Dismember Pakistan, so that during a war we do not have to fight on 2 fronts.

You did not knew that? Poor you. Read more, than whine about.
And do you know the Strategic advantage in formation of Tamil Eelam with the Northern and Eastern provinces being a client state of India ? Much more than the previous one.And that was exactly why Indira Gandhi supported the Tamil Eelam movement which her foolish son went back on and paid his life for.

These people laid their lives in the line of fire during the 1971 war when they blocked the runways of Anuradhapura airport which the Sinhalese had given to the Pakistanis for logistics.

Poor you. Brush up your history.:lol:

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Global Defence

New threads

Articles