Finmeccanica CEO Arrested In Connection To India Bribery Case

cobra commando

Tharki regiment
Country flag

Giuseppe Orsi, CEO of Finmeccanica was arrested for allegedly bribing Indian officials involved in the VVIP helicopter deal.

Finmeccanica Chairman and Chief Executive Giuseppe Orsi was arrested today by the Italian police in connection to a "possible international corruption" involving the sale of 12 VVIP helicopters to India worth $750 million. According to the prosecutor investigating the case, Orsi is being scrutinized for corruption and embezzlement in relation to alleged bribes given to the Indian government. Although Orsi has repeatedly denied making bribes, his lawyer said that the chief executive was ready to resign if Finmeccanica's controlling shareholder, the Italian state with a 30.2% stake, asked him to do so. AgustaWestland, Finmeccanica's helicopter division, is also under investigation in the case, according to the company and the prosecutor. In the light of the latest development it's unclear if the Indian government will abort the deal with AgustaWestland despite taking delivery of three helicopters already.

Finmeccanica CEO Arrested In Connection To India Bribery Case : Defense news

K Factor

A Concerned Indian
Italian defence giant head held for India bribes

Italian defence giant head arrested for India bribes

Reuters | Feb 12, 2013, 12.54 PM IST

NEW DELHI: Italy has not shared details of a corruption probe into the sale of helicopters to the Indian government, the Indian foreign ministry said on Tuesday, after the arrest of Finmeccanica's head Giuseppe Orsi in Italy.

"We had asked the government of Italy through our mission in Rome for details of the investigation but were told that it is a judicial process and the government of Italy is unable to share any information," foreign ministry spokesman Syed Akbaruddin said. "That remains the position even today."

India's defence ministry said it could not immediately comment.
The 560 million euros ($735 million) deal was to sell 12 high-security AgustaWestland choppers for use by India's political leaders. The first helicopters were due to be delivered by December 2012.

Italian police on Tuesday arrested the chief executive of aerospace and defence giant Finmeccanica for corruption and embezzlement in relation to alleged bribes given to the Indian government, Italian media reported.
Bravo Congress and UPA 2.

Kunal Biswas

Member of the Year 2011
Ambassador
This also remind me of Carbine deal ...

Berrata and Arms dealer wife related to berrata..

cloud_9

Country flag

In a massive embarrassment for the UPA government, the CEO of an Italian firm accused of paying a Rs.350 crore bribe to swing a deal for 12 VIP helicopters, was arrested by the Italian police on Tuesday.

The arrest comes about four months after a series of reports, particularly on Headlines Today, about what could well be the Congress-led government's next Bofors scam.

The Italian media reported that the chief executive officer (CEO) of defence goods giant Finmeccanica, Guiseppe Orsi, was arrested as part of corruption investigation into the 2010 sale of AW101 helicopters for the Indian Air Force (IAF).

The first two of these helicopters were delivered to the Palam Air Base in Delhi late last year, with the other 10 to follow in quick intervals. In October last year, Headlines Today had accessed Italian investigation documents that detailed a mysterious Indian connection to the murky affair.

Following Headlines Today's reports, the Ministry of Defence (MoD) had ordered an inquiry and called for information from the Italian government. However, nothing happened after that.

Defence Minister A.K. Antony even told Parliament last year that the Italian investigation had nothing to do with the Indian deal. The arrest of Finmeccanica CEO now proves that Antony was misleading Parliament.

MoD refers chopper deal case to CBI

Following reports of the arrest of Finmeccanica CEO, the defence ministry referred the chopper deal case to Central Bureau of Investigation (CBI) on Tuesday, sources said.

Finmeccanica stands by its CEO

Meanwhile, Finmeccanica issued a press statement stating that it was with the CEO on the issue.

"With reference to the precautionary measures, the issue today towards the CEO and chairman Finmeccanica and the CEO of the controlled company AugustaWestland, Finmeccanica confirms that the operating activities in the ongoing projects in the company will continue as usual," the statement said.

"Finmeccanica expresses support for its chairman and CEO with the hope that clarity is established quickly while reaffirming its confidence in the judges," it said further.

arya

Country flag
haa haa one more deal is going to cancel

god bless Indian force

Ray

The Chairman
Professional
Rather odd that India which has delayed many needed equipment and weapons because it claims that it has ensured no kickback in deals, has been caught napping!

The GOI has set the CBI hotfoot only after the Italians nabbed their hot shot!

Eyewash!

Another scam!

arya

Country flag
Rather odd that India which has delayed many needed equipment and weapons because it claims that it has ensured no kickback in deals, has been caught napping!

The GOI has set the CBI hotfoot only after the Italians nabbed their hot shot!

Eyewash!

Another scam!

your word on our force condition

what you will suggest them , i am really thinking how will be our force fight future war

Raj30

What is the Finmeccanica chopper scam Five key facts - Page 1 | Firstpost

Finmeccanica Chairman and Chief Executive Officer Giuseppe Orsi was arrested by Italian police over alleged bribes paid to secure the sale of 12 AgustaWestland executive aircraft when he was head of the Finmeccanica helicopter unit. Here are five things you need to know:

* Augusta Westland, one of Finmeccanica's most profitable subsidiaries, won a government contract to build choppers which would be used by the President, Prime Minister and other VVIPs after it edged out Sikorsky's S-92 Superhawk.The new helicopters were being procured to replace the ageing Russian-made Mi-8 helicopters. The first helicopters were due to be delivered by December 2012 after the 560 million euro ($749.2 million) contract was awarded toFinmeccanicain 2010.

*According to reports in an Italian daily 'La Repubblica', slush funds (areserve of money used for illicit purposes) were generated after a "sudden" escalation of price by 10 million euros in 2010. The reports say while it is not clear whether kickbacks were paid in India, the money was allegedly used by a top Finmeccanica official to bribe Italian political parties.

* In February 2012, Defence Minister AK Antony ordered a probe into allegations that government officials were involved in taking kickbacks for changing the terms and conditions of the deal in favour of the Italian company.

* Finmeccanica Chief Executive and Chairman Giuseppe Orsi was reportedly arrested on Tuesday, for alleged bribes paid to secure the sale of the choppers. Interestingly, Orsi hadbeen tasked with rebuilding the group's reputation after a corruption probe forced out former boss Pier Francesco Guarguaglini.

* The Indian Ministry of External Affairs said Italy had not shared details of the corruption probe into the helicopter sales, while the defence ministry said it could not immediately comment on the issue

Sam2012

Tihar Jail
Banned
Saint antony with his dhodhi accent told everything proped found no fault in deal once , what happened now he bloody simple makes a show off that he is Mr.clean
similar to what rajiv gandhi did with Mr clean tag all came down after bofors scam

Now all deals important deals MMRCA,BAE 155mm mountain howitzer etc will be put on hold my our dhothi wearing dumbo from defence ministry to show he is Mr.Clean . No matter at what rate PAK & CHINA mordernize their armed force

God bless Indian Armed force from this rats

Kunal Biswas

Member of the Year 2011
Ambassador
I wont think or follow what Politician doing but I always look down on those whom i though were part of the same pack..

Btw, deal was about VIP choppers and such incident are not the first, It forces most of us to think about what is going with rest of the deals..

arya

Country flag
I wont think or follow what Politician doing but I always look down on those whom i though were part of the same pack..

Btw, deal was about VIP choppers and such incident are not the first, It forces most of us to think about what is going with rest of the deals..
no will think for man on border , i hope today you saw one more plane crashed . All deals are delayed what about our nation security

Bhadra

Professional
Country flag
How is it that always people who give bribes are arrested, but those who take bribes are not?
But the laws related to rape is contrary.... those who take are on the mat even if one would not have taken..

Yusuf

GUARDIAN
Super Mod
Country flag
My only question, why was an agent Beijing tr deal when India does not deal with Agents but directly with companies.

Times Now, great job!

Bhadra

Professional
Country flag

The one who takes is the VVIP....

Yusuf

GUARDIAN
Super Mod
Country flag
BTW this news will have a bearing in MRCA deal. That is going to be a huge blow.

Bhadra

Professional
Country flag
It seems to be making hay time and threat of blackmail time for the land of Mafia.

Another Quatraocchi will surface yet to vanish...

Latest Replies

Global Defence

New threads

Articles