Finmeccanica Ban May Prove Costly For India: UK Minister

Neelkanth

All the superpowers produce their own weapons it is what separates them from the rest of the world.
they do. but one thing USA is the only super power today. Russia is like a Mad fellow armed with 20 Machine gun. China is just the new kid on the block.

Country flag
they do. but one thing USA is the only super power today. Russia is like a Mad fellow armed with 20 Machine gun. China is just the new kid on the block.
China and Russia combined do not compare to USA. Just a simple fact Russia ,China and India combined do not have combined number of warplanes close to what USA has alone

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Bharat Ek Khoj

I am always puzzled by how small nations with less that 10 million population produce top of the line weapons and India which claims to graduate millions of engineers has to buy even small weapons like guns,bullets or heavy machine guns?
Simple, everything is available in their own language. While indian students have to go through a different language(an alien language) route after a certain period of time.

Last edited:

su35

Country flag
Simple, everything is available in their own language. While indian students have to go through a different language(an alien language) route after a certain period of time.
You took my word :) In our country people who have read theory books in english more are considered as jeweal while the pepole who have practical knowledge preserved in mother tongue are considered as obselate. That why our agriculture so primitive. Even after so many years of independence we have english as national language rather then Hindi or Sanskrit

Country flag
Math and science are universal languages.
The answer maybe more political and some cultural readons

su35

Country flag

True but it depends on the instructer medium so that student can understand it easily, that's why local medium is the best

Nuvneet Kundu

Without having a full alternative to Finmeccanica, banning... is not a masterstroke. simple.
Parrikar has said, and I have repeated, there IS an alternative, it's just that the state authorities are not in a position to reveal it to the public at this stage. He has clearly said "you will know once the deal is signed". It is up to him to fulfill that commitment now. We can't run behind him with our own list of favorite weapons. One should never be so helpless so as to not be in a position to cancel a deal whose terms aren't working for us. Just take a look at the voting record of the consortium of countries which constitute Finmeccanica. Every single one of them has participated in anti-India resolutions like it's a festival! Their only asset is that they stuffed the pockets of Congress leaders to get the contracts. It's great that they lost the contract.

Country flag
True but it depends on the instructer medium so that student can understand it easily, that's why local medium is the best
I don't want to go off topic or discuss this language obstacle it almost seems like we are looking for excuses. If Indians can go worldwide and excel in their fields without a language obstacle why can't they in India?
When India Israel collaborated on Barak I am sure they overcame language barriers to make a top of the line missile.

Nuvneet Kundu

I don't want to go off topic or discuss this language obstacle it almost seems like we are looking for excuses. If Indians can go worldwide and excel in their fields without a language obstacle why can't they in India?
When India Israel collaborated on Barak I am sure they overcame language barriers to make a top of the line missile.

It's not about technical capability of an individual, it's the national ecosystem which is lacking. National ecosystem implies everything from funding to infrastructure to political will to invest in building weapons. We started out weak with a mentally impaired PM like Nehru literally saying "India should disband the army, we don't need it; The police can handle everything". From a country which has said that, we sure had a long way to travel to get where we are. Attitudes towards defense spending in India are still negative. That's why Indian scientists excel in NASA where they constitute 60% of the population, similarly in Silicon Valley, but they don't flourish in India because of our 'Ahimsa' mentality.

Bharat Ek Khoj

I also don't want to go off-topic, but these are the exact subjects that becomes harder when language changes. At least for me.
If Indians can go worldwide and excel in their fields without a language obstacle why can't they in India?
There's a higher rate of failure too, much higher.

cannonfodder

Country flag
One member has already explained this. Fin* can stop doing business with Indian companies and what are they going to tell shareholders during earning calls "Indians banned us for paying bribes so we want to discontinue already made commitment for all Indian companies." I don't think corporations work this way no matter how insignificant business is. If I have shares of such unprofessional company I would sell them off immediately.

Obliged ? What if they ban doing business with India as a policy and say "We will not sell to you, keep your contract" then what ? they are free to..not they are a factory in Yamunanagr that govt can force them in to obligation.

Neelkanth

One member has already explained this. Fin* can stop doing business with Indian companies and what are they going to tell shareholders during earning calls "Indians banned us for paying bribes so we want to discontinue already made commitment for all Indian companies." I don't think corporations work this way no matter how insignificant business is. If I have shares of such unprofessional company I would sell them off immediately.
Not with Indian companies but with India itself. Victim card is easy to play. and MIC works differently. by stopping to supply spares it can render most of our Naval guns useless. aand it also supplies fire control radar to our ships. so..

Neelkanth

Sir, that is a billion dollar point.

If they address it, then it will solve many problems in India.

Then I guess Indians doing PhD and research in foreign countries is just a rumor.

Zebra

Country flag
Parrikar has said, and I have repeated, there IS an alternative, it's just that the state authorities are not in a position to reveal it to the public at this stage. He has clearly said "you will know once the deal is signed". It is up to him to fulfill that commitment now. We can't run behind him with our own list of favorite weapons. One should never be so helpless so as to not be in a position to cancel a deal whose terms aren't working for us. Just take a look at the voting record of the consortium of countries which constitute Finmeccanica. Every single one of them has participated in anti-India resolutions like it's a festival! Their only asset is that they stuffed the pockets of Congress leaders to get the contracts. It's great that they lost the contract.
Sir, elaborate that red color part, please.

Zebra

Country flag
I have a feeling, there is something else in this matter.

And we, (here on DFI), don't know about it.

Zebra

Country flag
problem lies in govt of India defense procurement process not in these phoren defense companies.

:lehappy::lehappy::lehappy::lehappy:
Even a foreign company have to take permission first from RM, before they take part in any tender. :facepalm:

Global Defence

New threads

Articles