Finally , an articulate Indian politician on American TV

mattster

Respected Member
Country flag
Mattster, I don't know about which Indian diplomat you are talking about but I have never come across bumbling foreign officers or ambassadors. They are the cream of the Indian civil services and are the best trained.

Perhaps, what you might have observed is Pakistani diplomats are more often seen than Indian diplomats on the American television and so you are trying to construe it in this way. But it will be great if you point out those specific instances where you came across Indian bumbling diplomats.

Guys, guys, get a grip......its not just a case of accent that makes communication effective....its the whole package of public speaking skills on TV. Its the delivery, and the confidence and the charisma and command of the speaker.

Since a lot of you have raised Ronen Sen's name......The man spoke flawless english with a very understandable accent....but he was still lousy on TV. I have heard at least 2 of his speeches.....he simply puts you to sleep. His delivery was horrible, and he had no on-camera presence at all.

The worst was Naresh Chandra - even I couldnt make out what the heck he was saying.

All I am saying is that if you want to communicate to the global audience in places like the US on CNN, etc....then put a media savvy guy with an "on-camera presence", or better yet do what the Pakistanis do - send guys who have spent years in college in the US during their youth and understand American culture.

These are the people who can then communicate their message to the American public.
The Pakistanis are not the only ones to do this, The Israelis are also very good about this. For that matter....even a stone-age country like Saudi has a very savvy ambassador who is great in front of the camera.

Now if you dont care about getting across.....then you can send more Naresh Chandra's

nitesh

Mob Control Manager
mattster why you are not putting name of the diplomats across which you are so impressed with? This will help in taking the discussion to a logical direction

Rage

DFI TEAM
Plenty of articulate Indian ministers, methinks. At the Federal level, Off the top of my head:

Kapil Sibal, Minister HRD

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YGO3lHJFz64

Montek Singh Ahluwalia, Deputy Chair of the Planning Comission

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9T0ySLJ8z6U&feature=player_profilepage

Kamalnath, Transport Minister:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3PK2snEbgpo

Usha Thorat, Deputy Governor the Reserve Bank of India:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y9Xa7PNdUvU&feature=player_profilepage

Rajeev Chandrasekhar, popular Rajya Sabha MP:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q4ftp_-Pppk&feature=player_profilepage

Anand Sharma, Minister of Commerce and Industry:

YouTube - Attack in Pak highlights threat by terror outfits

Kanwal Sibal, Minister Education:

YouTube - A debate on Indo-Pak talks in Egypt Part 1

KC Singh, Ministry of Foreign Affairs:

YouTube - Inside Story - The dispute over Kashmir - 23 July 09

Ghulam Nabi Azad, Health Minister:

YouTube - 80 people got swine flu from Reeda: Ghulam Nabi Azad

Ambika Soni, Minister of Information and Broadcasting:

YouTube - Ambika Soni on India's 100-day plan

Farooq Abdullah, Minister of New and Renewable Energy:

YouTube - I have taken the challenge and I will solve it: Farooq

Salman Khursheed, Ministry of Corporate Affairs and Ministry of Minority Affairs:

YouTube - Question Time with Salman Khursheed

Praful Patel, Minister Civil Aviation:

YouTube - Expect heads to roll in Air India: Praful Patel

Jairam Raamesh, Ministry of Environment and Forests:

YouTube - How Jairam Ramesh will balance growth and ecology

Shriprakash Jaiswal, Ministry of Statistics and Programme Implementation

YouTube - New Delhi prepared to tackle any spill over

Preneet Kaur, Ministry of External Affairs:

YouTube - India will not tolerate terrorism: Preneet Kaur

Jitin Prasad, Ministry of Petroleum and Natural Gas:

YouTube - NewsX Video: Jitin Prasad on govt formation

Arun Jaitley, Opposition Gen. Secretary:

YouTube - Nitish is still part of NDA: Arun Jaitley

Dinesh Trivedi, Ministry of Health:

YouTube - Dinesh Trivedi on centres preparedness to check swine flu

Agaatha Sangma, Ministry of Rural Development:

YouTube - Agatha sangma,Youngest Minister with Virender Sehwag

tarunraju

Sanathan Pepe
Mod
Country flag
^Bingo. That shows how articulate ≠ sounding like a BBC newsreader.

ppgj

then put a media savvy guy with an "on-camera presence", or better yet do what the Pakistanis do - send guys who have spent years in college in the US during their youth and understand American culture.
gen. pervez musharraf is very media savvy and very neatly dressed up too just like the other pakistan diplomats. but where does it take them? being savvy without substance amounts to nothing. communication of impressive lies, double games are easily caught. substance and ground reality is what counts.

These are the people who can then communicate their message to the American public.
as long as they communicate rightly to the american administration which knows who stands where, it does not matter how the american public takes it.

Flint

Maybe mattster has trouble understanding the Indian accent.

Latest Replies

Global Defence

New threads

Articles