Fight between the two hockey teams

sesha_maruthi27

Country flag
Ugly brawl on hockey pitch

29 Oct 2011, 0955 hrs IST, TIMES NOW

Yet another India-Pakistan match and yet another brawl where players from both sides got into a heated argument before ending up in an ugly brawl on the pitch in the tri-nation tournament in Australia.

Sparks fly on the field whenever India and Pakistan turn up for any sporting event. The incident in 2009 was no different when the arch rivals clashed in during a junior tournament.

A similar scene were repeated down under. It was Indian Gurbaj Singh's clearance that went all wrong striking Shafqat Rasool on the leg. Just as Gurbaj moved towards the top circle line, three Pakistan players at a time pounced on him with uncontrollable rage and after that it led to a free for all.

What was surprising was that the most competent authority on the field - the referee too couldn't curb the situation.

Australia's hockey coach who was in the spectators stand said that Gurbaj has a reputation of doing this but once the referee penalises someone the others should not have gotten involved.

Time and time again fans witness brawls and altercations when India and Pakistan face off and there seems to be no way to stop this. Better refereeing or better management, the players echoing the usual cliche, 'it's all in the game'.

sob

Mod
Country flag
Reminds me of a similar brawl between the two nations at Dhaka around 10-12 years back.

sesha_maruthi27

Country flag
Well this must be taken care of. Our players must be cool and show it in their game.

Param

Real men dont play Ice hockey and american football, hey play field hockey and rugby!
yeah, ice hockey and American football guys are all covered up like body armor.

W.G.Ewald

Defence Professionals/ DFI member of 2
Professional
Real men dont play Ice hockey and american football, hey play field hockey and rugby!
I would agree with rugby. :)

Last edited:

Syd

Country flag
Baseball is the "differentest."8)
Baseball appears to be based on an old English game called "Rounders". Usually played by girls but sometimes by middle aged folk when on a social outing. Just stirring!

But seriously with regard to the original report about the hockey game, the reporter is very poor. My understanding is that the Indian player diliberately hit the ball onto the foot/leg of the Pakistani player to claim a penalty corner. This is quite a legitimate tactic - the Paki should be good enough to use his stick to block the ball. This scenario hwas played out many times in my playing days in Kenya and England when I was young. Have the rules changed?

The Pakistani team should have been banned.

niharjhatn

yeah, ice hockey and American football guys are all covered up like body armor.
Heh... no body armour is going to save you in an NHL fight

there is even an unofficial position on the team called an enforcer whose sole purpose is to pick up on physical play and get into fights.

And generally, after a fight, all you get is 5 minutes in the penalty box!

Last edited by a moderator:

niharjhatn

THIS has to be the most badass fight I've seen though

Last edited by a moderator:

Latest Replies

Global Defence

New threads

Articles