Fewer Indian students in US, but more Americans here

Discussion in 'Economy & Infrastructure' started by Yusuf, Nov 15, 2011.

1. Yusuf

Yusuf GUARDIAN Administrator

3. W.G.Ewald

W.G.Ewald Defence Professionals/ DFI member of 2 Defence Professionals

Twenty two percent more Chinese students in US, reported on TV news last night.

4. Dovah

Dovah Untermensch Senior Member

Invasion!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    :scared2: :scared2: :scared2:

SPIEZ likes this.
  5. niharjhatn

niharjhatn Regular Member

What... has the US education system fallen over completely... I mean they have great unis in America... why are they coming to India, especially with the huge language/cultural barrier, and the lack of what some Americans probably regard as necessities of daily living (Doritos, Starbucks, Taco Bell, and Hagen-Dazs to name a few) :D

W.G.Ewald likes this.
  6. W.G.Ewald

Are the US students coming to India children of Indians who came to the US?

7. SPIEZ

SPIEZ Senior Member Senior Member

In many cases I have sen YES they are. One family I know thinks of settling in India after being in the US for the last 28 years.

8. Param

Param Senior Member Senior Member

And toilets?:D

9. niharjhatn

Comeon, I come from Bihar, and even in many of the poor villages toilets are available... for fancy US students it will not be a problem... however, some of them are probably the 'squat' toilets, and given some of the size of these Americans.... :D

utubekhiladi likes this.
  10. W.G.Ewald

"Turkish toilets" might be preferred, after years of US government regulating the amount of water per flush.

11. Param

Like this?[​IMG]
    Really how many public toilets are there in our cities?
    In chennai along a 3 Km stretch of Mount road ( one of the best places)there is not a single public toilet.There are many other places where guys have no other choice than peeing behind some transformer or tree.

Last edited: Nov 15, 2011
  12. SPIEZ

SPIEZ Senior Member Senior Member

I agree, but there are many malls and theatre's in the Chennai which many foreigners compare to the western standards.

13. niharjhatn

And how many people would use the public toilet even if it was 500 m away?

Public toilets are a problem, I definitely agree. However, in terms of private availability it is not as bad as some may believe. It is not simple trying to maintain public toilets given the huge population... however, this is a rather lame excuse and serious steps need to be taken to counteract it. I've found with many Indians they treat their homes like holy ground, but don't give a s*** (literally at times :D) when outside... it should be made a punishable offence, and not only peeing, but paan, spitting, tobacco and all that horid stuff. God knows how much such habits contribute to the huge public health problems India faces.

I daresay however, most wish for more stability from the government in other issues before this matter is taken up, which unfortunately is seen by many as a simple, stupid problem to have, a byproduct of our genes, rather than recognizing that THIS IS SOMETHING WE CAN CHANGE.

It was very saddening for me to see this in a more explicit form - after all the beautifying in Delhi after the CWG (done well I must say), things have been left to rot, rather than taken advantage of as a stimulus to keep Delhi (capital and all that!) in a decent state and extend this to other cities as well. :(

14. Param

Why don't we just accept the plain truth there are very few public toilets. Why do you think a lot of men pee on the roadside, because they are proud of it?

Once I was waking along a 2 or 3 km stretch of an arterial road in Chennai and had the urge. There was no toilet in sight.Somehow I managed to control it.
    But not everyone is capable of it. I saw 2 men peeing behind a bus stop. Both looked well groomed, probably professionals waiting to take the bus back home from work. A Police vehicle approached and sounded the siren. One of those poor men started running even before completing it. Unfortunately the other guy was caught. What is their fault? In cities where there are hardly any public toilets where do you expect people to do their thing?

15. Energon

Energon DFI stars Stars and Ambassadors

One thing that may possibly explain this trend is that the Chinese students coming to America have equitable employment potential back in China in the event they have to go back. China is miles ahead of India in terms of development and has also invested a whole lot more in complex R&D. The Chinese job market is hence increasingly appealing to students with advanced degrees from top universities in the USA. This is not the case for India which is still struggling with a decrepit third world infrastructure and a chaotic economy that is still in its nascent stage (with the exception being some enclaves of IT). One can see that a far greater number of (non Asian) students from the USA prefer going to China as opposed to India because the current Chinese infrastructure makes adjustment a lot easier (at least in certain urban areas). This is why many major American universities are scampering to open campuses in China. Even undergraduate business students from say universities like NYU stern are able to spend a semester at the Shanghai campus which gives them an excellent insight into Chinese markets and the society at large. On the other hand people are wary of visiting India because it is difficult to even protect oneself from things like dengue fever due to the utter lack of the most basic necessities like clean water.

Transmission of human capital is going to be very critical in the coming age as economic links increasingly globalize. The way things are going, human capital in the USA and China will eventually be on the same platform. It is unfortunate that India will be left eating (feces layered) dust, again.

16. The Messiah

The Messiah Bow Before Me! Elite Member

Uncivilized westerners dont even use water...they use tissue to wipe :laugh:

utubekhiladi likes this.