Ferguson on Fire Again

Discussion in 'Americas' started by asianobserve, Nov 25, 2014.

1. asianobserve

asianobserve Elite Member Elite Member

Ferguson police officer won't be charged in shooting death of Michael Brown | US news | The Guardian

The ugly side of domestic America.

[​IMG]

3. thethinker

thethinker Senior Member Senior Member

4. Illusive

Illusive Senior Member Senior Member

5. asianobserve

I think the US is simply awash with handguns that POlice officers are too concerned about their own safety. Every one is a potential shooter. The US should seriously rethink its gun culture.

6. Kshatriya87

Kshatriya87 Senior Member Senior Member

7. Illusive

Illusive Senior Member Senior Member

Its not that there aren't long range tasers, and they could have stalled him and let him come in range,he was a kid afterall. The problem is like asianobserve said, concerned for their own safety. There has to be some standards maintained and accountability too.

8. Razor

Razor CIDs from Tamilnadu Senior Member

Those "peaceful protesters" in the US, are going to need some cookies and cakes (and $ 5 billion). :)

[​IMG]

9. pmaitra

pmaitra Moderator Moderator

@asianobserve, @jouni, why is Victoria Nuland not there? :lol:

Do you see the pictures? This is democracy, liberty, and what not. :rotflmao:

Last edited by a moderator: May 10, 2015
  10. AVERAGE INDIAN

AVERAGE INDIAN EXORCIST Senior Member

[​IMG]
    PHOTO: A worker cleans up glass at a building that was damaged during a demonstration on Nov. 25, 2014 in Dellwood, Mo.

[​IMG]
    One of the buildings burned to the ground during protests after a grand jurt decided not to indict a police officer in the killing of an unarmed teenager, Nov. 25, 2014, Dellwood, Mo

[​IMG]
    Property manager Terri Willits looks over a gas station she manages that was set on fire when rioting erupted following the grand jury announcement in the Michael Brown case, Nov. 25, 2014 in Dellword, Mo.

[​IMG]
    Cars which were set on fire when rioting erupted following the grand jury announcement in the Michael Brown case sit on a lot, Nov. 25, 2014 in Dellword Mo

11. AVERAGE INDIAN

AVERAGE INDIAN EXORCIST Senior Member

12. jouni

jouni Senior Member Senior Member

NSA kept her out...this is the dark side of America.

asianobserve likes this.
  13. asianobserve

That's the other side of democracy. I think you were the one who torched the supermarket.... :tsk:

14. pmaitra

Well, if that is what you believe, please ask Victoria Nuland to send me some cookies ASAP. Apparently, she loves feeding arsonists, and I am hungry.

15. hit&run

hit&run Elite Member Elite Member

A year ago one guy was preaching me about poor riot management in India. The topic was Gujarat riots. People get fooled by internal politics of India and media reporting, our police with the kind of resources they have does the best they can. Having said that I am glad there is no lose of life in USA; but then it depends on how much enraged the mob is.

I think their protest has been registered, now calm should prevail. Those trigger happy cops must be taken to the task as well.

16. Nicky G

Nicky G Senior Member Senior Member

Unfortunately this is nothing new for the US. Things should cool down for Thanksgivings though.

However I must note that I cannot fathom why these officers are not trained to take down suspects in a non-lethal manner. Even if you are going to shoot, why take a lethal shot? Blow the guy's knee-cap for instance. How is that not sufficient?

17. Energon

Energon DFI stars Stars and Ambassadors

I don't think the issue at hand has much to do with gun violence. What went down in Ferguson has more to do with one of America's other perennial problems: the dysfunctional relationship between police forces and poor minorities in downtrodden neighborhoods. The tumultuous relationship between legal authorities and Blacks in America goes quite far back I'm afraid; in fact all the way back to the inception of the nation itself. Ever since 1619 when African slaves first set foot in America (albeit their feet were shackled at the time), legal authorities have been charged with keeping all Blacks "in their place". From slave patrols, to slave retrievals, to the Jim Crow laws, Blacks and the police have forever been bitter adversaries. Michael Brown and Darren Wilson were merely another set of players in this never ending saga.

18. jouni

jouni Senior Member Senior Member

Europe has also minorities, but no police shooting. This is the dark, dark side of America. No need to try to whitewash it.

19. blueblood

blueblood Senior Member Senior Member

Police militarization and lack of gun control are some of the root causes for this sort of thing. I would be jumpy too if the probability of a small town cop in US being shot at is similar to that of a cop in Afghanistan.

[​IMG]

This is what police in my city looks like. Shabbily dressed and you can barely call them trained or maybe not. But the reason they are holding lathis instead of tacticool assault kit is non proliferation of automatic and semi automatic weapons. And it would be my assumption that number of serious crimes in my city would be much lower than an equivalent American city.

TrueSpirit1 and jouni like this.
  20. pmaitra

Why It’s Impossible to Indict a Cop

It’s not just Ferguson—here’s how the system protects police.

TrueSpirit1 likes this.
  21. Razor

Razor CIDs from Tamilnadu Senior Member

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=serhXCQbFfU

Interesting video.

Looks like some people have this tendency of not sticking to facts. Facts are just too inconvenient, as Ronald Reagan said in 1988: "Facts are stupid things." :rofl:

Anyway this tendency of people protesting against government, without understanding the situation, like mad men, is becoming a worldwide thing.

It happens in the US and outside. Only difference is the US has the capability and money to hijack such protests or foment it in other countries (like they do in Ukraine) while others countries can't reciprocate the favor to the US.