FDI in Retail & Secularism

Discussion in 'Politics & Society' started by Daredevil, Dec 3, 2012.

1. Daredevil

Daredevil On Vacation! Administrator

You must be wondering what is the relation between FDI in retail & Secularism. It seems for our politicians, not the merits of a bill but secularism is important in voting for or against the bill.

Mayawati's BSP and DMK will vote for FDI in retail because of secularism not because it is required for the economic reforms.

Maya won’t vote against FDI – in the interests of secularism

It’s back to the old bogey of communalism. To keep “communal forces’ at bay, Mawayati will not vote against the UPA government when it comes to the debate on foreign direct investment (FDI) in multi-brand retailing.

The Congress sees FDI in retail as proof of its commitment to reforms. The Bahujan Samaj Party (BSP) of Mayawati says it is opposed to FDI, but will not do anything beyond talking about it. For the Congress, it is the issue of “secularism” that is proving to be its trump card in getting FDI through.

At a press conference today, Mayawati dropped clear hints that her 21 Lok Sabha MPs and 15 Rajya Sabha members would abstain from the vote to enable the Congress to carry the day. She claimed that despite her opposition to FDI, she had to take on board some “larger social concerns”. And what were these? “After all we have to see who brought this motion in Parliament, the BJP & Company. We have to see that no message should go out that we are standing with communal forces. It is also possible that hereafter the government responds positively to the points raised by me.”

Mayawati. Agencies.

Mayawati’s public statement should come as a huge relief to the government, more so to Parliamentary Affairs Minister Kamal Nath ,who only a day ago had said on CNN-IBN that there had been no assurance of support from the BSP and the Samajwadi Party (SP). He, however, said he was confident of it.

Clearly, the BSP will not vote against the government. However, Mayawati did not apparently want the Congress’s floor managers to rest easy. So she added a caveat for the record: “Under the scenario, we will take a decision on how to vote on the issue at that particular moment on the floor of the house.” She could even consider supporting FDI if the government succeeded in convincing her that the concerns raised by her had been addressed.

Mayawati’s position is akin to the one taken by the Congress’s biggest ally, DMK chief M Karunanidhi, who after listing out the negatives of FDI, pledged his support to the government in Parliament to “stop communal forces” from taking centrestage.

Mayawati too listed out the too many negatives of FDI, but echoed the arguments of the Congress leadership that states were anyway free to bar FDI if they so wanted.

Ironically, the biggest critics of the BJP, the Left parties, are acting in tandem with them on FDI. They have even had informal discussions for floor coordination. But then, for the Left, FDI is an ideological issue and not about cornering the government. CPM leader Sitaram Yechuri, in fact, hardened his position and brought up the issue of linking parliamentary approval for FDI and the amendments made to the Foreign Exchange Management Act (FEMA). The Left will bring a statutory resolution in both houses to oppose the five FEMA changes notified by the government.

The other crucial player in the FDI vote, the Samajwadi Party, is playing hardball with the Manmohan Singh government. It has taken conflicting positions on voting. While senior SP leader Ram Gopal Yadav, brother of Mulayam Singh Yadav, asserted that he would vote against the government in the Rajya Sabha, Mulayam Singh himself kept the suspense going by saying his party would strongly oppose FDI in retail, but a decision on the vote would be taken at the last minute. SP leaders had also earlier raised the bogey of communal forces.

For the strategists from the government side, the numbers in the Rajya Sabha are more worrisome. But they seem to have found a technical escape route. Kamal Nath says that support from the Lok Sabha is enough for both the FDI and FEMA amendments. On FDI, the opposition vote is more like a privilege motion because Finance Minister Pranab Mukherjee had made a statement in the Lok Sabha last December about consultation and consensus. On the FEMA amendments, he said the approval of one house would be sufficient.

The BJP and the Left contest both these points. Its going to be a battle of wits when the Lok Sabha begins debating the issue tomorrow and votes the day after.

Maya won’t vote against FDI – in the interests of secularism | Firstpost

3. Yusuf

Yusuf GUARDIAN Administrator

Ridiculous as it may be, but at least some reforms will happen in the name of secularism.
    Wether any community gains or not from secularism, but secularism helped India get reforms long overdue.

4. parijataka

parijataka Senior Member Senior Member

Mayawati's concerns for `secularism` -

1) Reservations in promotions in govt jobs i.e. her pound of flesh in supporting FDI in retail

and

2) CBI biting her behind.

5. cloud_9

cloud_9 Regular Member

Check out the live debate :angry:

6. parijataka

parijataka Senior Member Senior Member

All the guys are dozing on govt side while Sushma Swaraj is rattling off.

On topic, Congress is opposing FDI in retail but supporting for rest of India as most of the small grocery shops are owned by secular voters i.e. Muslims and Christians. Long live Indian version of sickularism... :)

spikey360 likes this.
  7. cloud_9

cloud_9 Regular Member

It's getting interesting now :rofl:

8. spikey360

spikey360 Crusader Senior Member

Anyone who heard Sushma Swaraj speak on the FDI topic and still supports this scheme of the devil will be compelled to think twice.
    We have no right to bring darkness into the lives of those people whose bread and butter is small retail. Just because they wish to buy some cheap made in China, branded in USA goods, some sections of the middle class and sections of the rich who'll be greatly benefited by buying into this scheme is supporting it. History will not forgive us if we, for our selfish purposes keep supporting FDI in retail 2012.

This is not the time for FDI in retail, the small traders still need some time behind the walls to arm themselves for the tides in competition retail FDI would bring. I think as our fellow countrymen they deserve our empathy and compassion and we owe them atleast this much. FDI in other sectors is always welcome. FDI in retail may come, when the time is ripe. Now is not the time.

9. Sakal Gharelu Ustad

Sakal Gharelu Ustad Detests Jholawalas Moderator

Time would be ripe when BJP is in power!

10. cloud_9

cloud_9 Regular Member

^ Empathy..........Got none when it comes to my money,bania shops or supermarkets.

11. spikey360

My friend, my sympathies for you suffering severe memory loss. But it was the NDA Govt. which conducted a study if FDI retail was good for the nation, and when found otherwise, scrapped all plans of it. You are free to support the Congress, but facts you cannot deny.

In a sense I agree with you, maybe if BJP comes to power, in a few decades time, time may be made ripe. After all, no Congress state government could show as much progress as was done in Gujrat. So yeah, maybe you are right.

12. spikey360

I assure you, the bania community also does not empathise with your needs for cheap chinese :bs: branded in USA.

13. cloud_9

cloud_9 Regular Member

Kapil She Bal is on :rofl:

Mera Kumari :type:

14. cloud_9

cloud_9 Regular Member

Sorry if my statement hurt you :rolleyes:

15. Sakal Gharelu Ustad

Sakal Gharelu Ustad Detests Jholawalas Moderator

My criticisms:
    1. You think study done 10 yrs ago is still valid.
    2. Even if I drop point 1, can you point to the study. Give evidence of it.

I do not want to discuss whether FDI should be allowed or not as it is thoroughly done in one of the other threads and would not add much. But, about time being ripe I have a very recent example:

My friend in Bangalore, told me his sabjiwali(vegetable vendor) gave him her business card if he needs to order any fresh vegetables. This is excellent marketing, which no big retail store can deal with or compete. The people on the margin are ready to face the competition and we still say time is not ripe.

16. hit&run

hit&run Elite Member Elite Member

When you rant a word day and night its obvious you will use it where it is not required. This what might have had happened with Mayawati.

Like a host of crime (against) awareness show in a movie said ''yaar ye 'sansanikej' ko meri script se hatao, kal biwi ne pucha sabji kasi lagi to muh se nikla sansanikej''.

Jokes apart, people like Mayawati even voted against Impeachment of a corrupt Judge because he was from backward class.

17. hit&run

hit&run Elite Member Elite Member

Shusma Swaraj said fall of FDI do not translate to fall of UPA. So Mayawati should relax that communal forces are not coming in Power.

BTW I am for FDI but details should be worked out.

I like the point raised by leader of opposition on 30% commodities/goods manufactured in India will be mandatory. Why only 30% why not 90 %.

Last edited: Dec 4, 2012