Fatwa issued against 'Vande Mataram'

Discussion in 'Politics & Society' started by RPK, Nov 3, 2009.

1. RPK

RPK Indyakudimahan Senior Member

Fatwa issued against 'Vande Mataram'

Link

Jamait-e-Ulema Hind or the JEU on Tuesday issued a fatwa against singing national song 'Vande Mataram'.

According to a resolution, Muslims should not sing 'Vande Mataram' as its reciting is against the Islam.

The resolution, which was passed at the Deoband national convention meet, says that Muslims should not sing 'Vande Mataram' as some verses of the patriotic song are against the tenets of Islam. The JEU leader said that the some of the line in the song is against Islam.

Meanwhile, home minister P Chidambaram will address a Jamait-e-Ulema Hind conference in Deoband today. The home minister will also discuss the Sachar Committee Report and POTA issue with Deoband leaders.

Meanwhile, the Muslim Law Board justified the decision saying that (Muslims) can’t offer prayers to anyone but Allah. Kamal Farooqui, a prominent leader of the Board said, "We love the nation but can't worship it."

3. Ray

Ray The Chairman Defence Professionals Moderator

I heard Ansari (or was it Farooqi?), a member of the Muslim Personal Board.

He said it was against Islam to pray to anyone else by Allah and so it was unIslamic.

He, however, clarified it was an advisory.

This issue has been on for quite sometime.

It was not the right time to raise it. It will only inflame passions and cause more confusion!

I am sure Muslims otherwise were not singing it anyway.

Politics and power is what is the end game.

Now, the whole issue of not bowing to anyone but Allah is correct, but then it is actually a tricky affair.

The Muslims in the US maybe disallowed to sing Hail to the Chief since it contains:

Hail to the Chief we have chosen for the nation,
    Hail to the Chief! We salute him, one and all.

So, it an endless wheel. Round and round the mulberry bush!

Actually, we have to ride all these things and not make it an issue!

4. Singh

Singh Phat Cat Administrator

What about bollywood songs ? I don't see any fatwas against them ?

5. AkhandBharat

AkhandBharat Regular Member

I strongly disapprove of this. Religion is and should not be above the nation.

6. Yusuf

Yusuf GUARDIAN Administrator

BS crap. How many of those who passed the fatwa, have ever sung Vande Mataram and how many have been forced to sing it anyways? Idi0ts find new ways of stoking up passion.

Even other non Muslim Indian im sure dont sing the song everyday. Heck how many of us stand up and sing the National Anthem itself everyday?

7. Ray

Easy Yusuf.

Whoever will sing, will sing and whoever won't wont.

My worry is not that.

My worry is that it will become a political issue and it will foment problems that need not arise.

Who will be called to quell such issues? The only genuine secular force!

Man, it is getting tiresome!

Indian politics will never change!

Have you seen the media lately?

It is all about the anti Sikh riots and pretending to honour Indira Gandhi!

As Omar Khayyam wrote:

Ah, fill the Cup! What boots it to repeat
    How time is slipping underneath our Feet.
    Unborn To-morrow, and dead yesterday
    Why fret about them if today be sweet?

See the BBC series on Omar Khayyam! I loved it! He is a favourite of mine!

8. Singh

Pramahansa Yogananda wrote a very trenchant translation of Khayyam's Rubaiyat

9. Yusuf

Yes Ray Sir, i am precisely worried about the political outcome itself. Thats why the question, how many of them sing it anyway or forced to sing that their religious beliefs are hurt? Dirty pieces of shyt. Want to keep finding new ways to polarize. Why cant they keep their dirty mouths shut!!

10. Ray

The long sobs of autumn's violins wound my heart with a monotonous languor!

Cryptic message to the French Resistance in WWII before Normandy landings!

Quo Vadis?

Power was slipping away from the clergy and all clergies love power!

If there is amity, who requires the clergy?

Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?

11. Yusuf

Sir, the clergys job is to preach. Not power. Unfortunately over the years, right from the the days after the Prophet left the world, the two have been mixed and the clergys have become all too powerful.
    Its more like the Vatican till about a couple of hundred years back. These days they have no such power. I wish that kind of thing happens in Islam too.

12. ppgj

ppgj Senior Member Senior Member

@yusuf
    appreciate your anger and concern. but i think it is best to be ignored. nothing can be forced on anyone if we consider democratic. it can only happen out of one's own volition. i just hope nobody picks it up for political end.

13. Yusuf

ppgj, this fatwa is an open invitation for the politician to play with.

14. hit&run

hit&run Elite Member Elite Member

Why Ignore?

yusuf's concerns are very genuine. Buy ignoring we are encouraging stereotypes to proliferate and closing all the doors for future reforms completely. The issue is not vandematram and can not be at any merit.
    But the issue is, what is need for such organization to create controversy. The issue is they should at least know that there are many voices to shout back at them from all sections of Indian society including Muslims. We can not give them(all religious thekedaars) a resistance less go to create controversies every time.

15. tarunraju

tarunraju Moderator Moderator

The JEU should be severely penalised for being anti-state. It's high time everyone realises that our democracy is not anarchist, or limitless. JEU's actions are merely testing the limits of the freedom and equality and protection the state guarantees to minorities, to a large extant destructively, just so that after its obvious outcome, they could mudsling the state's secular ideology. Equality, and not partiality is guaranteed for the minorities. Just because a minority is protected from the majority, does not mean that the minority carries greater privileges, especially of this kind where it can make an anti-state action, and get away with it.

16. ppgj

ppgj Senior Member Senior Member

i did not disagree with yusuf. i am more worried on some communal frenzy let on innocent people. in most such riots it is the innocents who die for no fault of theirs. i only dread that.

17. prahladh

prahladh Respected Member

As long as it doesn't hurt current Govt's vote bank, this one, thackrey warning MLA's to take oath in Marathi only etc will keep cropping up.

18. afriend

afriend Regular Member

These guys want to ignite flares.. I would suggest the best way to deal with it is ignore it. And only intervene when these so called protectors or gurdians of the religion try to enforce their twisted ideas on people.

19. ZOOM

ZOOM Founding Member

One thing I failed to understand, if according to Jamait-e-Ulema Hind's Proclamation Vande Mataram's recitation is against Islam then why does they have only ordered Muslim's in india to oblige for not singing the same? Since even Non-Muslim People going to sing it anyway which will indirectly going to violate sentimental value of Islam.

Isn't according to Jamait-e-Ulema Hind, verses of Vande Mataram are in line with Islamic value when same is sung by Non-Muslim People?

If yes, then why does such a double standard with Islam and Indian Muslims in a first place?

If no, and really according to them verses of Vande Mataram are against Islam then why cannot they go one step further and show some courage by urging to bring complete blanket ban on Vande Mataram? if they are true Muslim's.

20. Singh

ZOOM,

A very incoherent and hastily put together argument.

JEU in its capacity as a religious organization has issued a fatwa. This fatwa states that singing Vande Mataram is unISlamic. (Shirk or worshipping anyother except Allah/God is considered the worst sin in Islam afaik).

However, this fatwa is is binding upon only those "muslims" who acquiesce. Fatwa is not necessarily universally binding upon all muslims.

In a similar case a major Sikh body had issue a similar decree, which anecdotally wasrejected by the community as a whole.

Generally Muslims/Muslim organizations have no personal nor religious issue if fellow muslims and non-muslims carry out acts contrary to Islam, exceptions are obviously there.

PS: taranraju I am surprised you got the gist of Zoom's post , seeing you actually thanked him for it. :s

21. amitkriit

amitkriit Senior Member Senior Member

Leave it on the people of country decide on whether they wish to sing "Vande Mataram" or not. Fatwas have no legal relevance in India, they can at best considered a religious advice. No community/person must play politics over this issue, people of India are intelligent enough.