Farmer cuts off his own feet unable to afford frostbite treatment

Ray

The Chairman
Professional
Farmer cuts off his own feet after being unable to afford frostbite treatment

A farmer from Anhui was forced to amputate his own feet because he could not afford 10,000 yuan for hospital surgery, after suffering untreatable infections brought on by frost-bite.

Liu Dunhe, a villager from a small town in Anhui province, 44, used "shards of broken glass" to amputate his feet after suffering unbearable pain, The Beijing News reported.

Liu suffered frost-bite to both feet last winter after tending to his farm bare-footed, but did not pay attention to the ailment at first. His condition quickly deteriorated and his feet soon became swollen, infected and the tissue eventually began to rot – inflicting tremendous pain.

When he visited a local hospital and was told he needed surgery to amputate both feet that cost over 10,000 yuan, Liu decided to take measures into his own hands and attempt the operation himself.

Liu, who doesn't have a family and lives by himself, carried out the operation, which he described as "six hours of torment", in secrecy.

"I used the glass to repeatedly cut through my muscle tendon. It was astonishingly painful," he was cited recalling the gruesome process.

"I had to swallow some alcohol to try to anesthetise myself when I couldn't stand the pain [during the process]," he told the newspaper but added the amputation "was a release".

He later told his brother about his plight when his wounds became infected due to a lack of follow up care, causing him further pain.

After hearing about the tragic event, local village officials took Liu to a district hospital and raised 23,000 yuan to cover his medical expenses.

Liu received further remedial surgery at the hospital and was given anti-inflammatory treatment on Tuesday. He is expected to be discharged from hospital within two weeks.

Liu was cited as saying that he did not enrol in the voluntary health insurance pla because he didn't think he would need it, saying that it was a waste of money.

According to the district health authority, a medical insurance plan that costs 70 yuan a year could provide a coverage of up to 70 per cent of medical expenses for its subscribers.

Local village officials have since subscribed Liu to a state health insurance plan and a handicap subsidy.

Liu's case mirrors another gruesome case highlighting the plight of the poor who are often unable to afford proper medical treatment.

Last October, an impoverished Hebei villager, Zheng Yanliang, used a saw and a fruit knife to almost sever his entire right leg after suffering large areas of infection following a rare disease. He was also cited as undertaking the operation himself as he could not afford hospital surgery.

Zheng had sought medical help in Baoding and Beijing for a sudden artery blockage affecting his legs but was told he would not survive the surgery. While his family was away, he cut off his left foot at the ankle and severed his right leg at the thigh.

The revelation triggered an outpouring of sympathy from the public, who raised some 360,000 yuan in donatations to help with his medical treatment. The villager is now able to walk with the aid of artificial limbs thanks to follow-up treatment and remedial care.

Farmer cuts off his own feet after being unable to afford frostbite treatment | South China Morning Post

I find this extraordinary that this can happen in the country that boasts of high economic growth and the best of all facilities in the world. At least that is the impression one gets from the news and from our Chinese posters.

And worse, using shards of glass to amputate.

I thought all Chinese are above the poverty line.

Is it another hoax of statistics or is it a reality?

Yet, one thing one has to applaud is that the village folks saved him by contributing for his recovery.

They have a larger heart than the Communist State that is only concerned about GDP and not for social responsibilities!

CCP

This report not cover the whole story. What is this farmer's family and neighbours did in this tragedy?

Ray

The Chairman
Professional
This report not cover the whole story. What is this farmer's family and neighbours did in this tragedy?
If you read the report and it was in English though, the farmer, Liu, who doesn't have a family and lives by himself

As far as the neighbours I presume they were following the nursery rhyme they had learnt
The king was in his counting house,
Counting out his money;
The queen was in the parlour,
Eating bread and honey.

CCP

If you read the report and it was in English though, the farmer, Liu, who doesn't have a family and lives by himself
[/I]
It means he did not married, but he do has brothers and sisters.

PS. this is just an extreme rare case happened when lots of reasons worked altogether.

EXPERT

look at here, we have everything to give our poor ones though we don't do that . . . .

but it feels great to point fingers on CHINESE who are miles away from us . . .

Ray

The Chairman
Professional
It means he did not married, but he do has brothers and sisters.

PS. this is just an extreme rare case happened when lots of reasons worked altogether.
Maybe not living around.

Whatever, I thought China had an excellent Govt Health Care programme.

Yet, I commend the neighbours for getting together and getting the medical attention necessary by pooling in cash. A real great thing to have done. Well done, neighbours.

hantangsongming

I find this extraordinary that this can happen in the country that boasts of high economic growth and the best of all facilities in the world. At least that is the impression one gets from the news and from our Chinese posters.

And worse, using shards of glass to amputate.

I thought all Chinese are above the poverty line.

Is it another hoax of statistics or is it a reality?

Yet, one thing one has to applaud is that the village folks saved him by contributing for his recovery.

They have a larger heart than the Communist State that is only concerned about GDP and not for social responsibilities![/QUOTE]

What an arbitrary conclusion, if you look at such an extreme case, you can also easily find such things anywhere in the world including USA or Europe, I remember last time I read a news that a Japanese family was starved to death at their own home, so? It was reported just because this is a very special case. But, one thing you are right, don't believe the media report easily! go come and stay for some time, see by yourself, you will understand what a country is. BTW, I did it, I visited India for several times, that's why I don't believe the western media just put China and India together to compare.

jon88

Country flag
Maybe not living around.

Whatever, I thought China had an excellent Govt Health Care programme.

Yet, I commend the neighbours for getting together and getting the medical attention necessary by pooling in cash. A real great thing to have done. Well done, neighbours.
I know what you are doing. You just want to belittle China.

We, in India have one of the worst mortality rate in the world and yet we want to belittle China, who have a much better record. People always say we, Indians are petty and delusional, and you just prove it. In fact, YOU are belittling India.

Citing an isolated case as an overall norm is just plain bad logical deducting.... unless of course, there is malice in your intention.

Last edited:

Ray

The Chairman
Professional
I know what you are doing. You just want to belittle China.

We, in India have one of the worst mortality rate in the world and yet we want to belittle China, who have a much better record. People always say we, Indians are petty and delusional, and you just prove it. In fact, YOU are belittling India.

Citing an isolated case as an overall norm is just plain bad logical deducting.... unless of course, there is malice in your intention.
It is petty minded ooh lalala pseudo who pose with bleeding heart and Jesus compassion and love find conspiracies everywhere.

You don't have to tell me about India and its ills because I have seen many more summers, winters and monsoons than you can think of to know of India's infirmities.

None denies these infirmities.

Yet, China is way better than India in many fields, more so in the field of health care.

Your comment indicates that it is obvious that you know little of the world, let alone China.

Bone up and then pontificate.

China has an excellent system called the Cooperative Medical System. This collapsed post 1980 because of the agricultural reforms wherein it adversely affect the poor as they had no money to pay for medical care.

Further to amplify, China's excellent Rural Cooperative Medical System (RCMS) was based a three-tier system for rural healthcare access. It functioned on a pre-payment plan that consisted of individual income contribution, a village Collective Welfare Fund, and subsidies from higher government.

Now with decentralisation, the Govt has lesser responsibility towards involvement in public health. I believe that this is being corrected.

Therefore, this case raises issues and one wants to know has the Govt involvement in public health increased actually and if it has, where was the cause for such a situation to come about. And this case also shows another plus for China - neighbours are more responsive.

If anyone has belittled India, and if you are indeed an Indian, then it is you.

It appears your a petty in your pontification and deficient of knowledge to substantiate that pontification.

You have indicated that you are not knowledgeable about what you state, but merely pose for the gallery!

Ray

The Chairman
Professional
What an arbitrary conclusion, if you look at such an extreme case, you can also easily find such things anywhere in the world including USA or Europe, I remember last time I read a news that a Japanese family was starved to death at their own home, so? It was reported just because this is a very special case. But, one thing you are right, don't believe the media report easily! go come and stay for some time, see by yourself, you will understand what a country is. BTW, I did it, I visited India for several times, that's why I don't believe the western media just put China and India together to compare.
Indeed, given the Chinese Medical system even this case is somewhat of a surprise, more so, now that the Govt has tweaked the RCMS with a new RCMS that is supposed to have made the medical health affordable even for the rural poor.

Thus when the news comes that the man resorted to such an action because he could not afford medical help, one can only be surprised and wonder how could that have happened in China, which is said to have a more efficient and caring medical system than many other countries.

Well, since we are not versed in Mandarin, our window to the world is the western media.

And our Chinese posters are totally engrossed in telling us about China's GDP, their fastest, highest and longest, but not about the other important issues such as the social issue that has been problems at one time for China and how China has addressed them and the results thereof.

Health is a very serious issue and public health support is even more serious. We, in India, are still grappling with it without any cogent answer.

Last edited:

jon88

Country flag
It is petty minded ooh lalala pseudo who pose with bleeding heart and Jesus compassion and love find conspiracies everywhere.

You don't have to tell me about India and its ills because I have seen many more summers, winters and monsoons than you can think of to know of India's infirmities.

None denies these infirmities.

Yet, China is way better than India in many fields, more so in the field of health care.

Your comment indicates that it is obvious that you know little of the world, let alone China.

Bone up and then pontificate.

China has an excellent system called the Cooperative Medical System. This collapsed post 1980 because of the agricultural reforms wherein it adversely affect the poor as they had no money to pay for medical care.

Further to amplify, China's excellent Rural Cooperative Medical System (RCMS) was based a three-tier system for rural healthcare access. It functioned on a pre-payment plan that consisted of individual income contribution, a village Collective Welfare Fund, and subsidies from higher government.

Now with decentralisation, the Govt has lesser responsibility towards involvement in public health. I believe that this is being corrected.

Therefore, this case raises issues and one wants to know has the Govt involvement in public health increased actually and if it has, where was the cause for such a situation to come about. And this case also shows another plus for China - neighbours are more responsive.

If anyone has belittled India, and if you are indeed an Indian, then it is you.

It appears your a petty in your pontification and deficient of knowledge to substantiate that pontification.

You have indicated that you are not knowledgeable about what you state, but merely pose for the gallery!
Excellent attempt, yet, I don't think anyone is buying your spinoff method of debunking.

Ray

The Chairman
Professional
Excellent attempt, yet, I don't think anyone is buying your spinoff method of debunking.
Do you think I require to play to the gallery in the same manner as you?

I don't have to.

I have been on this forum for long and the posters are aware of what my posts convey.

They are aware that I am not in the trade of buying and selling and instead am direct and not one of the drawing room chatterati class with bleeding hearts oozing 'blue blood' of self style 'intellectualism' divorced from reality and facts.

My advice to you is bone up and then pontificate with pious platitudes.

Maybe you are not aware what the PM elect said at Varanasi that was beamed to the world. He spoke of the immediate requirement of Indians to realise the importance of sanitation. Now, that may hurt Indian jingoistic attitudes, but it is the truth.

India has to wake up and pull itself by the bootstrap.

Last edited:

Latest Replies

Global Defence

New threads

Articles